Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

But did you leave an upper-decker at any point along the way? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

But did you leave an upper-decker at any point along the way? THIS IS IMPORTANT.

He didn’t say that he didn’t....

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

drgitlin posted:

Holy gently caress, do you want me to post a PDF of my expense report or something? We got the invite, just like electrek and everyone else. When they said "do you need us to arrange travel for you?" I said "why, no, thanks for the offer but we're paying for travel. I do need to know the hotel rate though, please." This is because on stuff like this the OEM block-books a bunch of rooms. It was $189/night for one night at the Marriott in the Ren Center, FWIW. We paid for my flight, but I did get a ride from the aiport. Stop the presses.

So, you're welcome to apologize for calling me dishonest any time you like.
I just wanted to know why the guy asking questions was getting piled on. Sounds like the explanation is that y'all paid for your own expenses. Good for you.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Back and to the left, back and to the left

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

blugu64 posted:

I only buy EVs that are made from submarines

obv, how else are you going to transport a dead swedish reporter?

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

duz posted:

obv, how else are you going to transport a dead swedish reporter?

in a volvo? Aren't they going 100% EV?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Elephanthead posted:

in a volvo? Aren't they going 100% EV?

no, they're going 100% electrified, which is an entirely different thing.

Basically, instead of a 12v starter and an alternator, there will be one 48v electric motor that acts as the starter, alternator, can contribute to forward motion, and recover energy when coasting. Basically a very mild hybrid.

All new mercs and audis going forward will use the system as well. in the merc i6 it's on the crankshaft. on the i4, and in the coming audi A8, it's belt driven.

Volvos will probably be belt driven, as they can just add it on to their existing engine architecture.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

drgitlin posted:

Anytime after he's off probation at least.

Beffer
Sep 25, 2007

drgitlin posted:

Holy gently caress, do you want me to post a PDF of my expense report or something? We got the invite, just like electrek and everyone else. When they said "do you need us to arrange travel for you?" I said "why, no, thanks for the offer but we're paying for travel. I do need to know the hotel rate though, please." This is because on stuff like this the OEM block-books a bunch of rooms. It was $189/night for one night at the Marriott in the Ren Center, FWIW. We paid for my flight, but I did get a ride from the aiport. Stop the presses.

Did you have anything from the bar fridge, sir?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

drgitlin posted:

The correct response to this dude is to mock him, not actually respond to him like he isn't insane with some sort of electric car mafia. Like this:

"lol"
*reviews Chevy Bolt GMishly*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

I just wanted to know why the guy asking questions was getting piled on. Sounds like the explanation is that y'all paid for your own expenses. Good for you.

because most of that dudes gimmick is posting about Tesla #1 and anyone who likes any other electric car is a Shill for Big OEM or a retard or both.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

because most of that dudes gimmick is posting about Tesla #1 and anyone who likes any other electric car is a Shill for Big OEM or a retard or both.

I am both.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Maybe he owns TSLA stock? For some reason that tends to give otherwise reasonable people the mentality of rabid bitcoiners.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Maybe the guy that was constantly asking Sicilian to PM him his secrets of success and asked to borrow his car like a loving lunatic finally kidnapped the poor bastard. All of Sicilian's crazy antics are actually him posting in code desperately trying to get us to call the police.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Fair enough. I thought it was a legit question, at least. But I also rarely look at specific posters for trends.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
So when do we get our checks from Big EV?

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

blugu64 posted:

So when do we get our checks from Big EV?

Mine come from a Tesla/Soros joint venture account.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
I'm being paid by Arcimoto by being bumped to the top of their customer delivery list. So I should get it in 2016 2017 2018 2019.

Does anyone know why electric motorcycles are apparently not in the CARB's ZEV list? Apparently they place motorcycles into a ZEM list which they don't publish or talk about except for a CA-specific rebate. And while my home state uses the CARB regulations and additionally waives the sales tax on ZEVs, they don't for ZEMs.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Everyone please remember your EV thread mod dues are coming up.

Probating only The Sicilian is hard work, you know.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Everyone please remember your EV thread mod dues are coming up.

Probating only The Sicilian is hard work, you know.

I'll donate some shares of Fisker, they're about to make it big (again)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

ilkhan posted:

Fair enough. I thought it was a legit question, at least. But I also rarely look at specific posters for trends.

It wasn't an illegitimate question, but it was asked in an excessively hostile way, by a guy with a rep for being a complete blowhard.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It wasn't a question, it was an accusation with a question mark.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
Dude on Vancouver Island with a Honda CRX Nissan Leaf swap just dyno'd over 300hp on a custom controller. Not sure what batteries he's using. Pretty f'n sweet!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6OInkLWAhk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lyBPMn5cL0

More pics and info on his FB page https://www.facebook.com/underground.electrics.nanaimo/

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What do they normally measure?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

i've been dreaming of electrifying my lincoln, but didn't figure leaf gear would have enough go for a 5000lb car. maybe it would.

i could also probably fit a pile of leaf packs in there, and wreckers sell them for $2500.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Subjunctive posted:

What do they normally measure?
107hp 207 ft-lbs for the 2011 which he's got. From 2013 on the torque dropped to 187ft-lbs, some people claim they went with less/smaller magnets some say it's just software limited for battery health I don't think anyone really knows but I suspect the latter.

He has a photo on his FB page of the dash display showing over 300kw with a newer tune, that would equate to roughly 400hp. Get some.

Powershift posted:

i've been dreaming of electrifying my lincoln, but didn't figure leaf gear would have enough go for a 5000lb car. maybe it would.

i could also probably fit a pile of leaf packs in there, and wreckers sell them for $2500.
Make it 4wd with two motors! The Leaf battery wouldn't make that much power. Well, it would probably make that much power once and then melt.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 7, 2017

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

fordan posted:

I'm being paid by Arcimoto by being bumped to the top of their customer delivery list. So I should get it in 2016 2017 2018 2019.

Does anyone know why electric motorcycles are apparently not in the CARB's ZEV list? Apparently they place motorcycles into a ZEM list which they don't publish or talk about except for a CA-specific rebate. And while my home state uses the CARB regulations and additionally waives the sales tax on ZEVs, they don't for ZEMs.

4 Wheels - Automobile registration required.

Remember Aptera? 3-Wheel car company in Carlsbad, CA?

Even with our congressman's help, they couldn't get that changed.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Is there a clear explainer to how EV charging works? Say, a Chevy Bolt with a 60kWh pack, from dead... And if power is (for example) 2 cents/kWh at night, and you charge it from "dead," would it cost $1.20 to charge up? Am I thinking of it too much like gasoline?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

No, that's basically right other than that chargers aren't perfectly efficient. I think the loss is around 20% for mine.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Wow, awesome. I'm currently spending $80/week on gas (Canada) for my commute (140km round trip 5 days/week) and I'm seriously looking at something like a Bolt for commuting.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why the hell is your commute so long?

If cost is your primary concern, depending on where you are, the power company might discount off-peak, but your cost might increase with total usage.

You would save a lot on gas costs over a new gasoline car, but you'd likely never make up the cost compared to driving a year old used gasoline car. Unless you can get a smokin lease deal. Until new prices come down leaving less room for depreciation, and ranges stop going up, rapidly outdating 3 year old cars, the deprecation on an electric car will probably erase most if not all fuel savings.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Powershift posted:

If cost is your primary concern, depending on where you are, the power company might discount off-peak, but your cost might increase with total usage.

You would save a lot on gas costs over a new gasoline car, but you'd likely never make up the cost compared to driving a year old used gasoline car. Unless you can get a smokin lease deal. Until new prices come down leaving less room for depreciation, and ranges stop going up, rapidly outdating 3 year old cars, the deprecation on an electric car will probably erase most if not all fuel savings.

Man.. that would rank up there as one of my shortest commutes.

My current commute is 95miles/152 km RT and it's one of my best.

I did 193 miles / 311km RT for 6 years. That was fun.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Powershift posted:

Real estate prices where I live forced a ton of people out of the area if you wanted to move.

It's not terrible, 40 minutes door to door, 90/10 highway/city. The (rather large) incentives that the province of Ontario offers now on EVs make their cost really appealing, as well as planning to offer free overnight charging for EVs for 4 years starting in 2018.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Shut Up And Take My Money

Jaguar’s E-type Zero is the most beautiful electric car yet
Probably because the entire design is lifted from the 1960s

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/7/16265888/jaguar-e-type-zero-electric-car-announced

Jaguar, having freshly committed to electrifying all of its cars from 2020 onward, has today also unveiled a new all-electric automobile, which is based on its sleek E-type from the 1960s. The new E-type Zero keeps the classic styling, which was once lauded as “the most beautiful car in the world” by Enzo Ferrari, while introducing a bespoke electric powertrain that produces up to 220kW of power. It will take you from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.5 seconds, which isn’t quite Tesla territory in terms of acceleration, but let’s be honest, no Tesla has ever looked quite this dashingly gorgeous.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

VERTiG0 posted:

Wow, awesome. I'm currently spending $80/week on gas (Canada) for my commute (140km round trip 5 days/week) and I'm seriously looking at something like a Bolt for commuting.

How cold is your winter there? In North Dakota, I lose around half my range to the heater and reduced battery capacity (before any highway speed losses). So 60kwh might be the very bottom of what you'd need for that commute if you only charge at home. Might be worth waiting until it's pretty cold to look at them, see if it will meet your needs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Powershift posted:

At the peak of $4 gas and dirt cheap Leaf leases, my four cylinder Ranger's fuel bill alone was nearly equal to a Leaf lease payment. I would have paid a minimal monthly premium to commute in a new hatchback instead of an old rear end 180k mile compact truck.

The only reason I didn't do it is without charging at work, it wouldn't have survived round trip for three years of commuting.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Phuzun posted:

How cold is your winter there? In North Dakota, I lose around half my range to the heater and reduced battery capacity (before any highway speed losses). So 60kwh might be the very bottom of what you'd need for that commute if you only charge at home. Might be worth waiting until it's pretty cold to look at them, see if it will meet your needs.

What EV? EV's with thermal management of batteries shouldn't have this issue.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Powershift posted:

I have a friend who is very satisfied with the used Leaf she bought for I think just under $10k. Says the range has shown minimal deterioration.

For a dedicated commuter, used Leafs seem like a great bargain since as you said they depreciate quickly.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

VideoGameVet posted:

2013 Leaf and it has heaters to protect from freezing. There is a massive difference between the range you see at freezing (30f) and sub zero. Where do you think the battery gets the power to heat itself?

Some quick searches show me that people say 40%+ loss in Tesla as well. And 3-7 miles is eaten per day just sitting in the garage.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Sep 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

It's not that. When it's cold you run the heater and even with the more efficient heat pump in the Leaf it will use a good 1-3kw around 30-40F and 3-5kw under 20F. My commute is exactly 70 miles round trip and takes about 1 hour each way. That's 2-10kwh straight off the top just dedicated to heating. This is bare bones heater use just to keep the windows clear. Then you add in that you have more rolling resistance in colder temperatures, more aerodynamic drag, running lights and wipers more often, etc. Cold just uses more energy all around.

This time of year I can do the round trip easy on a '13 Leaf 24kwh but during winter I needed to charge at work every day it was colder than about 40F. On the coldest days (below 10F) I would arrive at work with 20-30% charge, I arrived at work today at 64%. I bought with 28k and now I have 44k and get pretty much the same range still. I'm projected to put 28,000+ miles on my Leaf in the first year of ownership. Saving $200/month on previous fuel bill accounting for about $40/month electricity cost. Although that's a little skewed because my wife drives the Leaf as much as possible after work and weekends so we're saving gas in her car too. Monthly payment on the vehicle is $215. I have signed up for time-of-use billing with my power company and hope to end up saving a few dollars on charging.

Having to stop and charge on the way home from work is the worst thing, avoid it at all cost. Now that the '18s are out I bet you can score some nice deals on used Leafs, I'd go for a 30kwh if I was buying now.

Vitamin J fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Sep 8, 2017

• Locked thread