Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Was V the first game Gilgamesh appeared in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Yes.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Sakurazuka posted:

Yearp. Though I know he's been retroactively added into remakes of previous game's new dungeons and such.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

When the fandom can come up with a more interesting and compelling perspective with the meager pieces offered to them, you really gotta wonder what that says about the narrative that was given and presented by the supposed professionals.

Yeah that's my point exactly.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Countblanc posted:

i dont either and I play FFXIV. people need to friggin respect gilgamesh.

I respect him, his is my close friend and that's why I call him Greg and he calls me Skull. We're good friends with nicknames for each other.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"What if (X) was dead the entire time and it was all a hallucination" isn't really that compelling a narrative. It's a fun thought exercise especially in dreamlike stories but rarely actually means anything in the way fandom likes to use it which is "it was a dream all along with no payoff or resolution." There are stories that can do it well but they are movies structured and built around it, not hiding it behind a Secret Reveal Only True Fans Will Notice. Rinoa being Ultimicia is a fun gimmick-thought but would be insanely unstatisfying because nobody in-story gets a chance to respond or interact with it and is ultimately meaningless.

This is particularly important because what if I'm forgotten is a fear Squall actually expresses and the reveal being "you're not forgotten but refusing to move on is as unhealthy as well" would be a compelling story beat. ~Secret Villains~ are rarely satisfying because they deny the characters the chance to actually finish characters arcs with those villains.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

I know it's a XIV thing or whatever but i do not like greg as a name for cool interdimensional swordsman Gilgamesh

He was given the nickname by Hildebrand, an aloof comic-relief character (think Mr. Satan of DBZ). He goes "Your name is Gilgamesh? I'm gonna call you Greg" and Gilgamesh kind of plays along with it. Gilgamesh is shown to be kind of dumb in XIV too.

Edit: the last Twilight movie did a narrative of the final fight being a "this was all a dream" at the very end, and all of the consequences were reversed. Of all the things wrong with the Twilight series, that one is probably the worst.

seiferguy fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 5, 2017

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

seiferguy posted:

He was given the nickname by Hildebrand, an aloof comic-relief character (think Mr. Satan of DBZ). He goes "Your name is Gilgamesh? I'm gonna call you Greg" and Gilgamesh kind of plays along with it. Gilgamesh is shown to be kind of dumb in XIV too.

Hildy doesn't even acknowledge it at all; Gilgamesh says "I am Gilgamesh" and he's like "Okay Greg, nice to meet you."

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Help Im Alive posted:

I know it's a XIV thing or whatever but i do not like greg as a name for cool interdimensional swordsman Gilgamesh

In FFXIV Gilgamesh makes a wish so pure and heartfelt he accidentally brings back his best friend (who he has been looking for for years and tried to replace with a chicken painted green), Enkidu, as a demigod of near limitless power.

CeallaSo posted:

Hildy doesn't even acknowledge it at all; Gilgamesh says "I am Gilgamesh" and he's like "Okay Greg, nice to meet you."

seiferguy posted:

Edit: the last Twilight movie did a narrative of the final fight being a "this was all a dream" at the very end, and all of the consequences were reversed. Of all the things wrong with the Twilight series, that one is probably the worst.

I mean the way these guys are describing it makes it look like Hildy is an insufferable rear end in a top hat but he is legit the character find of FFXIV and the only reason I'd be willing to go back to it after Heavensward would be to play his new quests

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hildy is an insufferable rear end in a top hat and that is why he's the character find.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Hildy is hero that only does good wherever he goes and at worst annoys people that really need to lighten up/learn a thing or two like Cyr and the Conniving Inspector.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Hildebrand was a little too over-the-top and felt like a flanderized Inspector Clouseau. Still, the Gilgamesh fight at the end made it worth it.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Hildibrand is in fact a heroic figure and I will not tolerate the besmirching of his good name.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Countblanc posted:

i dont either and I play FFXIV. people need to friggin respect gilgamesh.

i kicked his rear end twice in that game i'm calling him loving greg

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
As someone who recently rewatched the Pink Panther movies, Hildebrand is not like Inspector Clouseau, because, the thing is, Clouseau isn't even that stupid. He's just an rear end in a top hat.

Going over the movies again, almost everything Clouseau does wrong is not because he's particularly stupid, but because he's moderately stupid and refuses to recognize this, so that he continues barrelling forward even as it becomes obvious to everybody around him that he has no idea what he's doing. In Clouseau's mind, he is a genius and a Renaissance man, and there is simply no skill of which Clouseau is not the master, and therefore there's no real reason not to disguise himself as a telephone repairman. He continues to believe he is doing amazingly even as he tries to look inconspicuous while standing in the mess where the telephone used to be.

Hildy is not an rear end in a top hat; he's just kind of oblivious.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
Speaking of Ultimecia, here's her Dissidia AC reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eUOAiBhAc

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I would greatly appreciate it if people would stop posting about the new Dissidia stuff. It's depressing to me now. :smith:

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Did they compose that version of The Extreme with Mario Paint

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
"In reality, when people die they are gone forever, and you have to learn to accept that and move on"

but I mean if they also turn into godlike beings who continue to pursue their own agendas on a planetary scale that's cool too i guess

Interesting to see the guy casually taking hare brained fan theories and suggesting they might get canonized later though.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hildy is hero that only does good wherever he goes and at worst annoys people that really need to lighten up/learn a thing or two like Cyr and the Conniving Inspector.

Hildy is also responsible for singlehandedly stopping a zombie invasion because he was so charismatic, muscular, and able to pose and flex with such grandeur that the zombies couldn't help but think of him as their king

I don't know what he does post pre Heavensward but I'm sure it's as amazing as soaring through the skies wielding a magical sword of legends

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Gologle posted:

I would greatly appreciate it if people would stop posting about the new Dissidia stuff. It's depressing to me now. :smith:

No. Have some music. One track from each game, because they are all the worst remixes in the series. Except for that FF12 remix. It's good.

FF1 Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdl1_Lx9SG4

FF2 Main Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgbCkheNKZ0

FF3 Crystal Tower: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu1620SL6KY

FF4 Within the Giant: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn2emGvCzvg

FF5 Decisive Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gXYX81TA8A

FF6 Protect the Espers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUHyvdN0jX4

FF7 Opening ~ Bombing Mission: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiNEb8eo2XM

FF8 The Man with the Machine Gun: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYMYgu5wAb4

FF9 Sword of Fury: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDAwNMZqcTg

FF10 The Final Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY4eic4RShA

FF11 Fighters of the Crystal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ja6hPklHGkY

FF12 Boss Battle: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X54I3mrG_yg

FF13 Eidolons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrI4-_9CCQ4

FF14 Ultima: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCnI3LmizF0

FFT Battle on the Bridge: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV2BY4ZtwCY

FFT-0 Beginning of the End (Acoustic Ver): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_n9A0EYZMo

Dissidia: Massive Explosion (Acoustic Ver): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW9KnB-Cs5Y

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 6, 2017

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Hildy is also responsible for singlehandedly stopping a zombie invasion because he was so charismatic, muscular, and able to pose and flex with such grandeur that the zombies couldn't help but think of him as their king

I don't know what he does post pre Heavensward but I'm sure it's as amazing as soaring through the skies wielding a magical sword of legends

They didn't write a Hildy story until like 3.2+ because apparently they were surprised people expected more Hildy so the plot is kind small in scope and has no trials as part of it. It does have Mammet Vivi who hildy adopts as his son. It's cute but not as good as 2.X hildy.

They learned and confirmed Hildy is coming in 4.1 and they have longer stuff planned for him.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

just lol at dissidias soundtrack. most of the tracks sound like those metal covers weird long haired guitar nerds post on youtube.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

That's one of the best things about Dissidia though.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Gologle posted:

Does it make you Dissadia?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I unironically love that Dissidia remix of the Extreme. Makes me wanna replay Space Channel 5.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Attitude Indicator posted:

just lol at dissidias soundtrack. most of the tracks sound like those metal covers weird long haired guitar nerds post on youtube.

Yeah? I'm not sure why you think this is bad

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I hate the Squall is Dead theory (and most FF fan theories if I'm honest) so I'm glad to see him laugh at all of them. Sadly, the one he doesn't have a giggle at is the worst of them all. That bridge between FFX-2 and FFVII is not healthy. Destroy it.

Hildy is fun and cool, please be nice to him.

Varance posted:

Speaking of Ultimecia, here's her Dissidia AC reveal: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9eUOAiBhAc

So maybe it will have a 1v1 mode?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Norns posted:

Yeah? I'm not sure why you think this is bad

I'll bite.
Because they sound like low quality garbage. Made with bad mixing, lovely drums, cheesy synths and an ELECTRIC GUITARS makes everything rad as hell mindset.
But, you know, music is subjective and all that, so you do you.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Help Im Alive posted:

Did they compose that version of The Extreme with Mario Paint

Holy moly, that's super accurate!

I don't really love the remixes in the new Dissidia.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
To be fair that Extreme cover is really nice for a fan MIDI.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i just beat the pc version of ff4tay

my god the encounter rate in the last part of the final dungeon

the game should have been just the final chapter, the others add almost nothing to the story (it's also the longest by far)

they must have taken out all these bosses because they were too lazy to 3d model them. gilgamesh :(

i dont understand why the creator flip flopped on his planet destroying at the last second

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Relin posted:

i dont understand why the creator flip flopped on his planet destroying at the last second

bad writing for a bad game

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

ImpAtom posted:

"What if (X) was dead the entire time and it was all a hallucination" isn't really that compelling a narrative. It's a fun thought exercise especially in dreamlike stories but rarely actually means anything in the way fandom likes to use it which is "it was a dream all along with no payoff or resolution." There are stories that can do it well but they are movies structured and built around it, not hiding it behind a Secret Reveal Only True Fans Will Notice. Rinoa being Ultimicia is a fun gimmick-thought but would be insanely unstatisfying because nobody in-story gets a chance to respond or interact with it and is ultimately meaningless.

driver san francisco did it openly and just used it as an excuse for you having car superpowers, which is maybe pointless (you could just include them without an explanation) but it made for a fun game with fun driving

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
ahhh i just realized zeromus gets loose and there's no resolution to that plot point. maybe we're to assume putting the dark crystals back sealed him?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Relin posted:

ahhh i just realized zeromus gets loose and there's no resolution to that plot point. maybe we're to assume putting the dark crystals back sealed him?

Shh... shh... none of it matters anymore, the bad game is finished and you never have to think about it ever again.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Relin posted:

A wizardFu-So-Ya did it.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

ImpAtom posted:

This is particularly important because what if I'm forgotten is a fear Squall actually expresses and the reveal being "you're not forgotten but refusing to move on is as unhealthy as well" would be a compelling story beat. ~Secret Villains~ are rarely satisfying because they deny the characters the chance to actually finish characters arcs with those villains.

Squall is dead is dumb. And even my dumb teenager self could figure out that the confusing ending had more to do with Squall's internalized fears than being dead. I think a lot of the dead theory is people trying to make something interesting out of something that was ultimately, well, not. Even the people involved in the story have said many times that they wanted to tell a love story from the get go. His connection to Rinoa is supposed to be his one saving grace. Granted "girl likes me in spite of being a maladjusted manchild, I am therefore deserving of life" isn't exactly a message that's held up very well. But their relationship was meant to be the crucial component here. Not some unexpected death/dream twist.

Rinoa = Ultimecia is only interesting if, like you said, it had been something the cast had to face and contend with. Like some inevitable fate they were trying futilely to avert. It's the kind of shenanigans you can only really pull off whenever you throw time travel into the mix because man time travel stories only get worse the more you think about them and Time Compression is one of the most obnoxious and non-sensical plot points ever so you might as well go balls to the wall on it at least.

Coughing Hobo posted:

A wizardFu-So-Ya did it.

You know, for a game that threw every minor character and a bunch of entirely new nobody's into the mix, their decision to kill(or not? they never explain) him off-screen, seemed pretty weird. Other than Tellah who was already canonically dead, he's the only guy who doesn't make it back into your party.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Crossposting from Coupons and Deals:
Amazon's got Theatrhythm Curtani Call for an insane price so if you own a 3DS and haven't played it you should absolutely jump on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
i hope yojimbo is in the SB Hildibrand quests and he gets called Jim