Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

well why not posted:

jokes aside, I can't wait to see what Taika Waititi does next. If Ragnarok is nearly as good as it looks in the promo materials, dude should have a blank cheque for his next project. I'm excited for one of these movies to actually be funny too.

I was so ready to walk away from the Thor movies for good, the first was forgettable at best and the second was boring garbage. They're ugly as hell to watch too.

So of course they had to hire Taika to direct just to drag me back in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

yeah, for me it went from "watch on a plane" to "possibly imax" with that announcement.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gatts posted:

The MGS series was already like movies. Adapt them into stage shows on Broadway. Now that'd be entertaining.

poo poo, you could take "Who Am I" from Les Miserables, switch just a few of the lyrics and apply it to the ending twist of The Phantom Pain. There's your Act 1 closing number.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I'll save you the suspense. It won't. It'll be fine, servicable even. And will provoke a positive shrug.

It isn't like the promo materials are making it look like an oscar winner...

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Electromax posted:

It isn't like the promo materials are making it look like an oscar winner...

No, it looks much better than Suicide Squad.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rick posted:

I'm more interested in seeing a MGS movie than another Star Wars movie, which isn't a diss Star Wars, it's just that it's been done. Adapting Kojima to film is something I'd really like to see.

MGS is also far more revelevant to our terrible 2017 reality. Kojima called out meme society, information control, America as a war economy, etc a decade before it all went mainstream.

Good luck keeping any of that intact and not repeating a bland Ghost in the Shell missed opportunity though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

At least characters like Snake are canonically white so he theoretically can't be white washed.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Thundercracker posted:

MGS is also far more revelevant to our terrible 2017 reality. Kojima called out meme society, information control, America as a war economy, etc a decade before it all went mainstream.

Good luck keeping any of that intact and not repeating a bland Ghost in the Shell missed opportunity though.

This for sure. Even MGS4 was outdated when it was new because it was just "what if instead of armies governments hired.mercenaries who gave no fucks because they work for uncaring corporations and there was a war economy?" I know the games take time to make but this was in 2008.

To me the best Metal Gear movie would be something like The Raid or Dredd. Like just combine the major characters/story of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake into one badass action movie where Snake sneaks and battles through a small number of locations as he's lead on, betrayed by, and then hunts down and kills Big Boss.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Sep 6, 2017

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I have this image of Solid Snake with a spotlight on him as he sings a monologue about his existence and nature of love and war and there's a cardboard box next to him ....

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

It'll be like Bronson except with sneaking instead of incarceration.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Al Borland Corp. posted:

At least characters like Snake are canonically white so he theoretically can't be white washed.

Dude was born from a Japanese mother though

poo poo wait no, he was born from EVA who was nebulously either Chinese made to look western or just a western Chinese spy but like they implanted a Japanese lady egg in her and the game made sure to let you know about that

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Calaveron posted:

Dude was born from a Japanese mother though

Surrogate mother, she shares no dna with him. He's a clone of an American Korean war vet.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Edit: I shouldn't post while walking around.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Thundercracker posted:

He also obliquely predicted 9/11, with (the idea of) oil leading to much of Lower Manhattan being destroyed - and of course there's the terrorist vs. Patriot framing as well.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Neo Rasa posted:

To me the best Metal Gear movie would be something like The Raid or Dredd. Like just combine the major characters/story of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake into one badass action movie where Snake sneaks and battles through a small number of locations as he's lead on, betrayed by, and then hunts down and kills Big Boss.

This is actually what I wanted from Ghost in the Shell. Instead of trying to recapture the glory of the original, just tell a discreet story. The second animated movie basically did that.

It would've been unrealistic to ask, but I would've loved if they adapted Stand Along Complex season 2. Which was all about bad agents in the govt manipulating a burgeoning refugee crisis to destabilize the country and seize power. Ending in a loose nuclear weapon standoff sucking in other world powers into the conflict. Just play that straight with no origin story on the major.

It would even work as a "24" style one single crazy day plot.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Sep 6, 2017

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

well why not posted:

jokes aside, I can't wait to see what Taika Waititi does next.

It's the We're Wolves sequel to What We Do in the Shadows, isn't it?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Chairman Capone posted:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Neo Rasa posted:

This for sure. Even MGS4 was outdated when it was new because it was just "what if instead of armies governments hired.mercenaries who gave no fucks because they work for uncaring corporations and there was a war economy?" I know the games take time to make but this was in 2008.

Agreed, with a remix of the original theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpIjT-LhNwg

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Chairman Capone posted:

Last I heard he and Jermaine Clement were going to do a series about the cops from What We Do in the Shadows.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

This is idiotic but a massive improvement for Disney, who gave us a Prince of Persia movie where basically the entire cast was white except for Ben Kingsley who is half Indian. Still too idiotic for me to ever see the movie though.

How dare they cast white people to play white people, this shall not stand.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Byzantine posted:

How dare they cast white people to play white people, this shall not stand.

aside from a small subset of American Persians who are basically weird crypto-fascists, most Persians get insanely pissed whenever someone refers to them as white.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

aside from a small subset of American Persians who are basically weird crypto-fascists, most Persians get insanely pissed whenever someone refers to them as white.

Or Arabs.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Well I mean they aren't white so yeah I would be insulted too

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

How the hell are they not white, just look at them. They're as white as the Greeks.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Irish weren't considered white until pretty recently.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Just got out of a 70mm showing of Vertigo, man I wish they still made movies like that. Phenomenal.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Byzantine posted:

How the hell are they not white, just look at them. They're as white as the Greeks.

Greeks aren't white.

"white" doesn't actually exist except as a tactic of social control

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd love to tell some Golden Dawn idiots that I don't consider them white.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Byzantine posted:

You should go to the library and get an ethnic studies book.

got any sevens posted:

Just got out of a 70mm showing of Vertigo, man I wish they still made movies like that. Phenomenal.

I'm jealous! I saw a digital print in the theater but it was on a smaller screen (although still amazing).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Greeks aren't white.

"white" doesn't actually exist except as a tactic of social control

Da, tovarishch.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Specifically in the U.S., historically, middle eastern peoples - particularly Persians, Pakistanis, and Egyptians - identified themselves as white in order to work around the country's racist socioeconomic system. Many non-white European peoples participated in roughly the same cultural and political movements, but the key difference being that for them, the investment in whiteness and its socioeconomic benefits was permanent; whereas second- and third-generation Persians et al. now find themselves in the predicament of facing anti-Arab/Muslim hostility and not being able to claim legal minority status or specific protections for it. Added to that, if you're a Muslim, you have an entrenched orthodoxy which rejects both concepts of race and government dependence. Hisham Aidi gets into it in Rebel Music, which is where I first learned of it, but I'm sure other literature goes over it at a much more comprehensive level.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

got any sevens posted:

Saw it a few years ago, the thing I'm gonna remember from that showing was the grain and glossiness of the wooden furniture in Elster's home.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

That's oddly vague.

It's important to be specific. Otherwise, you would petition for the Lion King remake to go 'back to its roots' as a Kenyan folktale. We need a Kenyan guy to direct, right?

No such folktale is exists; Simba was originally a manga/anime character, voiced by a Japanese woman. Also he's from 1950s Tanzania.

As someone who watched Kimba the White Lion a lot on TV as kid, it was supremely odd to see The Lion King in cinema, which was very similar in many parts, only with a lot more songs, simplified story and a crappier main character. My first encounter with the Hollywood adaption process. But to be honest, outside from the premise (orphan Lion cub as main protagonist trying to lead) and several scenes that are basically 1:1 taken from the Anime it wasn't very similar at all. Kimba grew up around humans and humans play a major role in the series.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Coaaab posted:

Saw it a few years ago, the thing I'm gonna remember from that showing was the grain and glossiness of the wooden furniture in Elster's home.

What i'll remember most is the audience laughing at the dated misogynistic scenes, like when Scotty is ordering women around

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fatherboxx posted:

https://twitter.com/TaikaWaititi/status/905245458209038336

when Marvel serfs are dunking on your practices you have a problem

Taika loving rules, I'll fight you

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Not even loving addressing this dumb poo poo.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

According to Richard Spencer, it all hinged on the McGregor/Mayweather fight. So, sadly for the Irish, they're still not white, according to noted moral and cultural compass Richard 'got punched in the face and it was awesome' Spencer

raditts posted:

Taika loving rules, I'll fight you

Hey, serfs can do great things. Didn't you see Braveheart?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Sep 7, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Skwirl posted:

Not even loving addressing this dumb poo poo.

The Irish in America held a very similar position in the hierarchy as Latinos do now. They were the scary papists who were obviously all a bunch of violent thieves, lazy drunks, and short tempered troublemakers that should just move back home if they hate America so much.

In British texta from the 17th century they were frequently compared to "Wild Injuns" and "Mad Arabs" and one theory was that they were Phoenicians or Scythians ("orientals") that had traveled to Ireland in antiquity and killed all the British natives living there and thus had no claim to the land. They were also thought to literally worship the moon and have dog-like tails.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

White people are a social construct invented to justify the horrors of colonialism. Who is or isn't white is completely arbitrary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

FreudianSlippers posted:

The Irish in America held a very similar position in the hierarchy as Latinos do now. They were the scary papists who were obviously all a bunch of violent thieves, lazy drunks, and short tempered troublemakers that should just move back home if they hate America so much.

Thats just typical Catholic behavior.

• Locked thread