Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Probably not, no, but I think that's because the "world first race" poopsockery won't start for reals until the Ultimate difficulty tier opens up. I think we're getting it now, because of what happened with the Midas raids and not being able to strike a good balance for the top end with only Normal and Savage modes.

(Short version: Savage Midas was way loving overtuned, and broke a lot of groups, but you could start to see some of the poopsockery going on. Creator reined it back in, but it seems this expansion that Savage mode has a clearly-delineated niche of "harder, but not the kind of poo poo that Elysium guns at". and Ultimate is "the poo poo that Elysium guns at")

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Josuke Higashikata posted:

It's good but sometimes I wish he'd actually write something relevant to the game lore and interesting instead of memeing when these happen

mememing is far easier then making up new stuff

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

world progression poopsocking may shift away from the savage raids to ultimate raids if they turn out to be good

if they're just hard for the sake of being hard tho, people gon be mad

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Probably not, no, but I think that's because the "world first race" poopsockery won't start for reals until the Ultimate difficulty tier opens up. I think we're getting it now, because of what happened with the Midas raids and not being able to strike a good balance for the top end with only Normal and Savage modes.

(Short version: Savage Midas was way loving overtuned, and broke a lot of groups, but you could start to see some of the poopsockery going on. Creator reined it back in, but it seems this expansion that Savage mode has a clearly-delineated niche of "harder, but not the kind of poo poo that Elysium guns at". and Ultimate is "the poo poo that Elysium guns at")

Or they could git gud at balancing and nerf over time. Wow does it. If this boss in super ultimate savage mode doesnt last at least 3 lock outs for the elysium crew then it isn't as hard as the devs are making it out to be imo.

Edit: the other thing that separate the men from boys in wow world first raiding is the class stacking. You can't really do that here nor really need to from what I can tell.

Holyshoot fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 6, 2017

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The only thing I expect from ultimate coil or whatever it's called is just constant divebombs. Literally every single second of the figh you are dodging a divebmb or preparing to dodge the next one. No downtime from the divebombs. You're even dodging them as you stack in the neurolink for the boss' ult.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

The only thing I expect from ultimate coil or whatever it's called is just constant divebombs. Literally every single second of the figh you are dodging a divebmb or preparing to dodge the next one. No downtime from the divebombs. You're even dodging them as you stack in the neurolink for the boss' ult.

then they will kill it quickly. The only thing that holds people back(world first raiders) from killing a boss these days in mmo's is damage output. If your raid is near death or getting killed because a cool down wasn't ready then the fights last longer. Mechanically intensive fights will be killed in short order if they have the gear.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Holyshoot posted:

then they will kill it quickly. The only thing that holds people back(world first raiders) from killing a boss these days in mmo's is damage output. If your raid is near death or getting killed because a cool down wasn't ready then the fights last longer. Mechanically intensive fights will be killed in short order if they have the gear.

I mean it can have dumb healing checks and dumb tankbusters and dumb raidwide damage and dumb enrages while still pelting divebombs at you constantly alongside whatever other mechanics happen simultaneous with divebombs

It's just that divebombs are like the signature move of the coil bosses and there better be a billion of them in the coiliest coil fight

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ilifinicus posted:

As opposed to?

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I mean it can have dumb healing checks and dumb tankbusters and dumb raidwide damage and dumb enrages while still pelting divebombs at you constantly alongside whatever other mechanics happen simultaneous with divebombs

It's just that divebombs are like the signature move of the coil bosses and there better be a billion of them in the coiliest coil fight

i wish they would have made a new fight with all new mechanics that are super crazy.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bolow posted:

Hardcore poopsockers in WoW raid for around 15-18hrs a day for 1-2 weeks. The raid tier my guild died on, died at a boss that for most guilds would take 300+ pulls to kill, with a 250+ and 300+ pull-to-kill bosses following right after it. The last 2 bosses in the current raid tier take upwards of around 800 wipes combined to get through. The hardcore poopsockers generally finish with in the first 2-3 weeks, but there's a bunch of bugfuck crazy prep they put in to it, with split runs and poo poo.

At least at cursory glance the raiding community in FF14 doesn't even begin to approach the insanity of the world first race in WoW

the only reason KJ took 600+ wipes was because he was broken for the first 4-5 days so the guild working on him just practiced phase 1-2 over and over until blizzard hot fixed him.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Holyshoot posted:

Or they could git gud at balancing and nerf over time. Wow does it. If this boss in super ultimate savage mode doesnt last at least 3 lock outs for the elysium crew then it isn't as hard as the devs are making it out to be imo.

Edit: the other thing that separate the men from boys in wow world first raiding is the class stacking. You can't really do that here nor really need to from what I can tell.

They used to but not anymore, at least not until it's made irrelevant by the next content patch. It's part of the reason why mythic raiding guilds are dropping like goddamn flies in WoW. In this case it's less "git gud" and more "the class balance is so irrevocably hosed that of the tanks that have killed mythic kil'jaeden, all but 6 of them have been druids" kind of poo poo

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ilifinicus posted:

world progression poopsocking may shift away from the savage raids to ultimate raids if they turn out to be good

it's gonna be literally just t13, but all the avoidable hits kill everyone instantly and the unavoidable raidwides do maxhp-1 damage. please look forward to it

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bolow posted:

They used to but not anymore, at least not until it's made irrelevant by the next content patch. It's part of the reason why mythic raiding guilds are dropping like goddamn flies in WoW. In this case it's less "git gud" and more "the class balance is so irrevocably hosed that of the tanks that have killed mythic kil'jaeden, all but 6 of them have been druids" kind of poo poo

they've already nerfed the back half of bosses in ToS. And they nerfed KJ 3 times since being killed first. We also get double artifact traits next week which will be a nerf/buff(for us) in its own right.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

cheetah7071 posted:

I'm just extrapolating from how hard O3S is. Maybe O4S is even more than twice as long to learn! If it's more like 5-10 times then still working on it isn't so absurd.

O4S is XIV's perfect example of the most difficult part of a raid - mastering execution.

The dark secret of NED is that once you've figured out how to survive Grand Cross Omega (including the last terminal antilight immediately afterwards) you are set to beat the fight. Omega happens at almost exactly the halfway mark of the fight and everything past Omega is a near 1:1 repeat what came before. He actually has less mechanics to deal with then, say, A8S, because while NED and Brute Justice are fights of roughly the same length NED repeats all his mechanics twice in the same order while BJ will bust out new ones 10 minutes in for you to deal with. Because of this NED is mechanically one of the more easy end-raid bosses that XIV has done.

But it's still hard, because he's tuned to time you out. For the first ~3 weeks or so after savage launch if you wanted your clear you essentially needed to play the entire 12.5 minute fight perfectly. No deaths, practically no emptiness debuffs, or you would not beat the hard enrage. That's a lot of focus to ask of a group, and it could be frustrating because after a certain point everyone will be aware that any death snatched a potential clear away.

Fortunately, NED also drops in difficulty dramatically as people gear up through tomes, and if everyone is rocking tomestone weapons the fight gets much, much more lax in terms of how many errors it will allow. After a certain point it's O3S and not O4S that becomes the really annoying fight of the tier.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It's actually a complete fakeout - bahamut at original t13 size becomes a player's pet and then you have to do a3s with a giant fat dragon blocking the camera.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

As opposed to?
being fun and challenging

gordias savage 3 and 4 are examples of being hard for the sake of being hard; the mechanics were really loving dumb and designed to flip off raiders for having refused to do fights the way the developers intended you to do them for all of ARR and punishments for failing them were irrecoverable, while also being really, really long fights

omega savage 3 and 4 are examples of fun and challenging, now tune that to be more difficult on a mechanic sense and also in a DPS requirement sense

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Bolow posted:

of the tanks that have killed mythic kil'jaeden, all but 6 of them have been druids

Yeeeeeea boiiiiiiiii~

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The big issue with Mythic KJ class diversity (from what I understand) isn't just class balance in general but the fact that his mechanics HEAVILY favor certain classes - it's crucial that a LOT of your damage dealers have some way to become immune or otherwise greatly reduce damage from a single attack.

WoW raiding is structured so that (nearly) all raiders at all skill levels have something to do and can make progress and it largely succeeds at that, but boy do things get weird at the top:

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

A little late but what is this entire set?

Looks to me like one of the generic Female Makai sets(PvP GARO stuff, but in this case, Healer. Male also looks different,) with the Chief Bunny legs(Gold Saucer,) Ultima Horns from Prey Online tokens, and Edda set boots.

There are several classes that, even though they're different sets, have basically the same appearance for the GARO equipment. Healers and Monk/Samurai. So the look should be able to be pulled off by any of those. The only real difference I can recall is that all the hats are unique to those roles. I know, as far as the female sets go, healers get flowers and monk/sam get a face mask. Tanks, Ninja, and Dragoon get the titular character armor sets.
Edit: my memory is awful. The Monk/Samurai set has sleeves on the coat while the healer set doesn't as a key difference. Ranged DPS get a weird leather gown and Casters have a robe.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 7, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Anyone interested in the Crystal Tower raids this sunday? I want to do those, having never done them before, and also am interested in Void Ark quest too...

technolizard
May 19, 2013
Thread, help. I am apparently masochistic enough to try fishing for Nepto Dragon. Please tell me how long it took you, because I've been at it quite a while now and am about ready to rip all my hair out.

(P.S. yes I know the right conditions, I'm hooking it and it gets away every time)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

cheetah7071 posted:

That poo poo is why I quit raiding back when we were still working on A1S. Getting eight people to all show up on time every week is just literally impossible. Pugging has its frustrations, but at least when you're ready to play you can just play and not worry whether your seven friends are all ready too.

Eh, it's mostly just been late starts and we're having fun playin the game with our friends (We were a friend group well before FFXIV so this is just something we do now). I'm not really all that driven to finish the raid content ASAP. I'm pretty loving well geared and next patch is a catch up one so my alt classes will get there. I just wanna see the fights and clear them at least once, tbh, and get better at healing and this is ideal even with the missed weeks.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Anyone interested in the Crystal Tower raids this sunday? I want to do those, having never done them before, and also am interested in Void Ark quest too...

Crystal Tower raids are such a spectacle. They're great!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

technolizard posted:

Thread, help. I am apparently masochistic enough to try fishing for Nepto Dragon. Please tell me how long it took you, because I've been at it quite a while now and am about ready to rip all my hair out.

(P.S. yes I know the right conditions, I'm hooking it and it gets away every time)

Not nearly as long as it took me to catch Namitaro.

Let go of your frustrations, and embrace the act of fishing. It will slip you even if you're wearing fully-melded Ironworks.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I hope that eventually they come back to unique fishing quests like that. I never even bothered getting all my scrip gear because it felt kinda pointless with no big reward at the end.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Run into an NPC from that adventuring party talking about how he got invited to a wedding :staredog:

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bolow posted:

Run into an NPC from that adventuring party talking about how he got invited to a wedding :staredog:

Oh yes...and what a glorious wedding awaits.

Go, bring a toaster

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014
I finally got around to buying Heavensward now that they've apparently mostly fixed the loving R9 Series AMD cards constantly getting DX11 errors. Managed to play for a solid 6 hours today without crashing and it was incredible. I'm so happy to have my MMO of choice back.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

A. Beaverhausen posted:

Oh yes...and what a glorious wedding awaits.

Go, bring a toaster

I'm told there's going to be all-you-can-eat cake for everyone.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Xmaspast posted:

I finally got around to buying Heavensward now that they've apparently mostly fixed the loving R9 Series AMD cards constantly getting DX11 errors. Managed to play for a solid 6 hours today without crashing and it was incredible. I'm so happy to have my MMO of choice back.

I hope you didn't pay much for it because you get Heavensward included in Stormblood.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Knocked out Midas tonight! Just six of us being lazy and unsyncing things for plotline and glamour.

Ugh, I wish I had kept up with job quests instead of leaving them for level 70. I'm within spitting distance of the end and I have to run around to unlock Verholy and Sleeve Draw instead of beating up some Imperials. Also, I can't decide what color scheme I like on this outfit, the orange/dark orange one above, or this one:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pastel like pink like the default or blues look best on the thav bustier but as a whole it's pretty over exposed.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose
Gagari - "But sustaining such a swath presents a plethora of persistent problems. Conundrums that only copious carts of coin can conquer."

Remember to talk to quest givers after accepting their quests or you'll miss gems like this.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

just finished PFing my way all the way from deltascape 1 savage to a clear of NEO exdeath. i am strong. gamer hell yeah.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Holyshoot posted:

the only reason KJ took 600+ wipes was because he was broken for the first 4-5 days so the guild working on him just practiced phase 1-2 over and over until blizzard hot fixed him.

Quick thing to note here: by "broken" he wasn't like bugged or something, he was just way too loving hard.

The primary mechanic in the fight is something called Armageddon, which randomly places a bunch of circles on the ground that you have to stand in or else everyone takes a shitload of damage and takes a nasty dot. Two of these going off at once will wipe you.

Standing in them causes you to take some damage and get a sixty second long dot applied to you. He casts Armageddon about every fifty seconds. Now, there's also big circles. These deal a shitload of physical damage and will require either a tank to soak them or an immunity from a dps/healer.

In the initial incarnation of Mythic KJ, there were two big circles and ten small ones. That's over half your raid dealing with the loving things every fifty seconds.

Eventually they nerfed it down to eight small ones, then six after it was killed the first time. There were other nerfs, but that was probably the big one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Bahamut Ultimate is gonna make make Nael Savage look like Garuda Hard

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Augus posted:

John Romero Yoshi P's About to Make You His Bitch

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't know when you were thinking, but if it's later in the evening, I'll go. I love the CT raids.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Knocked out Midas tonight! Just six of us being lazy and unsyncing things for plotline and glamour.

Ugh, I wish I had kept up with job quests instead of leaving them for level 70. I'm within spitting distance of the end and I have to run around to unlock Verholy and Sleeve Draw instead of beating up some Imperials. Also, I can't decide what color scheme I like on this outfit, the orange/dark orange one above, or this one:

Yay, I'm in that cool dude explosion pic on the right! (I'm Sinh)

Alexander is such a cool raid and I wish I had the chance to do it when it was current. The music and fights are super cool and the atmosphere is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Augus posted:

They said it was about the same difficulty as Second Coil Savage so eh, I'd be surprised.