Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Comments talk about latinx equivalents, I'd like to add Chinese, too. Less about bringing food, but God drat the mah jongg game that inevitably breaks out...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Octatonic posted:

so um KM, i never realized kale was such a sign of problems to come. i guess i understand gentrification a little bit better now. :shobon:

D&D really needs to implement and enforce the "don't double down" rule that y'all set up here, it's a really good rule and would help with stupid dumb flameouts like Kale's white fragility meltdown.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Koalas March posted:

This should probably go in the OP

http://www.theroot.com/five-rules-for-black-cookouts-and-life-1798706295

Phone posting so no quotes but drat

This was hilarious and genuinely informative to me as a yt. I will be sure to bring aluminum foil.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Koalas March posted:

Unfortunately the OP is banned.

Maybe time for a new thread so you can be OP and edit the OP?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Koalas March posted:

quote:

Don’t be selfish: Only two deviled eggs per plate. If you want more, come back for seconds. Or do what I do: Eat one, put one on the plate. Eat one, put one on the plate ...

i was about to freak out cause i love deviled eggs, but i can live with this rule

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Lightning Knight posted:

Unfortunately the OP is banned.

Maybe time for a new thread so you can be OP and edit the OP?

I can edit the OP. I can edit anyone's posts actually. I'm just not gonna do it on a phone.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Condiv posted:

i was about to freak out cause i love deviled eggs, but i can live with this rule

So do I. So do most of us. Give everyone a fair crack at them.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

xthetenth posted:

i'll just bring lots of deviled eggs so i can pig out and so can everyone else and we're all happy

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

xthetenth posted:

Break the rules, have Tasha grab you a couple of extras.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
My aunt who makes the deviled eggs is always late as poo poo. So we are all sitting down eating when she shows up. It's a mad rush back to the kitchen when she gets there.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Condiv posted:

i'll just bring lots of deviled eggs so i can pig out and so can everyone else and we're all happy

Deviled eggs and aluminum foil. I know my keys to be a welcome guest at a cookout until we learn that actually white people deviled eggs are bad too (Don't worry, we actually use seasoning and spice in our cooking.)

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Koalas March posted:

We are not a monolith!

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

xthetenth posted:

Deviled eggs and aluminum foil. I know my keys to be a welcome guest at a cookout until we learn that actually white people deviled eggs are bad too (Don't worry, we actually use seasoning and spice in our cooking.)

And people wonder why there is still racism. SMH

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
The firing of the L'Oreal model is being framed badly. The way the headlines are stated made me think it was going to be something like her siding with Nazis and not speaking out against systematic racism.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
To a lot of people speaking out against racism is the same as being a Nazi.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Gaunab posted:

The firing of the L'Oreal model is being framed badly. The way the headlines are stated made me think it was going to be something like her siding with Nazis and not speaking out against systematic racism.

But she was mean about it :'(

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gaunab posted:

i think that's on purpose since the original publication that called her out was the daily mail

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Bust Rodd posted:

At what point during cop school do they explain how dash cams work, exactly? Are they aware that they are equipped with audio recording equipment? I just can't believe someone who is given a gun, taser, pepper spray, and a car by the municipality isn't also told "Hey, if you are standing in front of your car, it can hear you."

Aware enough that the one time I did a ride-along with my dad, he told me to stay quiet while he did a routine traffic stop because the camera has a microphone in it.

Cops know drat well that these things record audio. They just don't care.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

there wolf posted:

New topic: The Root had an interesting article about the Afropunk festival in NYC http://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/did-afropunk-lose-its-punk-roots-1798377090 I found the idea of a sort of self-gentrification within a marginalized culture interesting, and wondered if anyone else had any thoughts on it.

Alternatively, anyone got any personal experience with that festival, or being black in the punk scene?

Let me pick this back up: I went there for the first time! It was a very interesting experience. While it was very fun and it really felt a bit utopian, I could feel that something there was kinda off. Even if the article was written before the festival started, it is spot on for the most part.

I spent 2 weeks with running groups in the bronx and harlem, and got to meet a ton of interesting people that did good work to help their neighborhoods. They helped with community fitness and helping old businesses fight gentrification, among other things. Not a single one of them went to afropunk. At over 100 dollars for the weekend pass, it is definitely keeping out the people that should be there the most.

And one thing that pissed me off: After the event, I saw people posting on facebook how annoying it was that black men were bringing their "Beckys" to afropunk. I'm seeing this kind of stuff more and more. This is a really sensitive subject to me. While I understand how warped and racist beauty standards can hurt black people, isn't there a better way to fight it other than condemn race mixing? My grandma was disowned for marrying my black grandfather. How did the fight to end segregation result in stuff like this? Can someone present me other viewpoints in this subject? Can judging people for dating outside of their race really be a considered a sensible thing to do?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Yeah people are lovely.

In general younger(sub 40) black women I've ran across don't usually care if a black dude is dating a white chick. So long as the black dude isn't that dude(the, oh man white chicks really know how to treat a king blah blah blah, rear end motherfucker)

That dude deserves any and all poo poo that gets tossed his way. Someone who just happens to be dating a white chick is usually whatever.

However you do have some hating rear end black chicks who hate seeing a black dude and white women because it takes a "good black man" out of the dating pool away from a black woman who needs one(usually them)

Older than 40 and it's usually a self defense mechanism, my mom gave me hella lectures about how you can't trust white chicks, and to protect myself whenever I found myself dating one

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Well this was loving awful to read.

https://www.therecorddelta.com/article/i-asked-my-4-year-old-son-why-he-hates-daycare-and-his-answer-was-heartbreaking

Opening line: "Last night my 4-year-old, Isaac, told me he hated his skin color."

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

Well this was loving awful to read.

https://www.therecorddelta.com/article/i-asked-my-4-year-old-son-why-he-hates-daycare-and-his-answer-was-heartbreaking

Opening line: "Last night my 4-year-old, Isaac, told me he hated his skin color."

I had a similar conversation with my step sister. She is younger than me, and it was pretty heartbreaking at the time. Tbh it still is, because she hasnt changed at all. :(

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I had a similar conversation with my step sister. She is younger than me, and it was pretty heartbreaking at the time. Tbh it still is, because she hasnt changed at all. :(

I'm really not looking forward to having to talk to my son about what others' perceptions might be/mean. He's half asian, but...still. :smith:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

silvergoose posted:

I'm really not looking forward to having to talk to my son about what others' perceptions might be/mean. He's half asian, but...still. :smith:

I'm sorry, I can't imagine what that's like. I am sure you'll do great tho :)

Every day I am happier (tho ok, sometimes sad) that I never had kids.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Koalas March posted:

I'm sorry, I can't imagine what that's like. I am sure you'll do great tho :)

Every day I am happier (tho ok, sometimes sad) that I never had kids.

Truth to tell, I can't imagine it yet either.

Yeah one of the worst parts of having kids right now is the state of the world we're bringing them into, and I say that without a bit of irony, including all the sleep dep and diapers.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I was at DragonCon over the weekend, and it's really great seeing how much POC representation there is in fandom now, at least on the fan side.

I was in a DC Rebirth panel that had a Latino writer (Jai Nitz, writer of El Diablo, Suicide Squad Black, other things), and he spoke a lot about representation in comics increasing. A fan comment from a black man about how Static Shock debuting on WB was his first experience at being represented as a main character was echoed by many of the audience members, and was wondering if DC was trying to reboot it with Rebirth. Turns out it's been in some sort of legal limbo for a while, due to licensing rights and contracts between DC and Milestone under NDAs. I loved Static Shock as a teenager.

It was pretty heartening to see so many POCs dressed up in costumes and feeling included instead of excluded.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

OgreNoah posted:

I was at DragonCon over the weekend, and it's really great seeing how much POC representation there is in fandom now, at least on the fan side.

I was in a DC Rebirth panel that had a Latino writer (Jai Nitz, writer of El Diablo, Suicide Squad Black, other things), and he spoke a lot about representation in comics increasing. A fan comment from a black man about how Static Shock debuting on WB was his first experience at being represented as a main character was echoed by many of the audience members, and was wondering if DC was trying to reboot it with Rebirth. Turns out it's been in some sort of legal limbo for a while, due to licensing rights and contracts between DC and Milestone under NDAs. I loved Static Shock as a teenager.

It was pretty heartening to see so many POCs dressed up in costumes and feeling included instead of excluded.

That's great to hear. More diversity in nerddom is a good thing. Something my wife commented on is how she felt like a lot of media felt really derivative over the past decades. Everything is a remake, a reboot, a sequel, etc and it made me wonder because its always pandering to white guys. Having people of color write, illustrate, direct, etc these kinds of media brings in fresh ideas and perspectives. And the way they get into their hobbies is often unique from how a white person might get into them.

I binge watched Marvel's Defenders recently, and hadn't actually seen all the other series (Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Daredevil, Iron Fist) that were all mashed together in Defenders. Since I was going in blind and didn't know much about the backstory, I noticed in particular how different attitudes were between Cage and Murdock. Through most of the plot, Luke Cage doesn't want to get involved, repeatedly mentions how he doesn't want to get in trouble/go back to prison. Meanwhile you have Matt Murdock who has his friends scrambling to hold him back from getting himself and the people around him in trouble. Cage is super strong and bulletproof, yet fears incarceration, while Daredevil is relatively more 'mortal' yet doesn't give a poo poo about the consequences of his actions if it is what he believes to be the right thing to do. It got me thinking about white privilege and how it translates toward superheroes and their own universes.

Like in the film Hancock, where the first half is how Hancock is portrayed as this superpowered wino; I wonder if citizens would've been more willing to put his faults aside if he were white. While his faults were part of the story, I'm willing to bet that if he were white he wouldn't be under nearly as much pressure to reinvent himself (and stop drinking).

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

As a comics nerd that makes me really happy. :)

I know I was all up in my feelings when Candice Patton, Zendaya, and Zazie got cast.

My love for Iris West will never fade.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I've probably talked about Dwayne McDuffie in this thread before but he created Static Shock and is a legend in comics. He passed way too soon.

Here's a letter he wrote to Marvel:

And here he is writing what was supposed to be the first black superhero to headline his own comic, the Black Bomber. It was nixed when the person who wrote the real first black solo superhero, Black Lightning, asked "do you really want your first black superhero to be a white bigot?"

The bottom middle panel he's supposed to be asking Vixen if he can use the N-word but DC edited that out.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
I was at DCon, too! Can concur! :)

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
Black cosplay was pretty awesome this year, if only for the guy who came as Prince and drowned out all the lovely bros blasting techno on their portable speakers.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

there wolf posted:

Black cosplay was pretty awesome this year, if only for the guy who came as Prince and drowned out all the lovely bros blasting techno on their portable speakers.

Did he have the right outfit? Assless pants Prince or go home.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/mosesbread72/status/905430701595652096

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Push El Burrito posted:

I've probably talked about Dwayne McDuffie in this thread before but he created Static Shock and is a legend in comics. He passed way too soon.

Here's a letter he wrote to Marvel:

And here he is writing what was supposed to be the first black superhero to headline his own comic, the Black Bomber. It was nixed when the person who wrote the real first black solo superhero, Black Lightning, asked "do you really want your first black superhero to be a white bigot?"

The bottom middle panel he's supposed to be asking Vixen if he can use the N-word but DC edited that out.

If you get a chance, you should watch the old Justice League cartoon from the mid 2000s, especially it's Justice League Unlimited incarnation. McDuffie was heavily involved in that and it's one of the best serialized comic-related story in any medium.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
If we back on comics chat, I just found out about Stranger Comics, which is essentially a PoC-centric comics publisher. Most of their books feature PoC protagonists/casts, and from what I seen so far, it looks like most, if not all, of their writers and artists are PoC (one of their most prominently featured books, Niobe, is co-created by actress/feminist activist Amandla Stenberg).

http://www.strangercomics.com

Found out about them 'cause they was asking in a local PoC group specifically for women of color (and they specifically *do not* want 'booth babes'; they want actual comics fans who can sell and discuss their books) to work their booth at Rose City Comic Con this coming weekend. My wife signed up to try and fill one of the slots, so she got emailed a promo packet of their comics to read, and so far they been pretty decent, so anyone who's looking for PoC friendly comics could take a look at their stuff.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

khwarezm posted:

If you get a chance, you should watch the old Justice League cartoon from the mid 2000s, especially it's Justice League Unlimited incarnation. McDuffie was heavily involved in that and it's one of the best serialized comic-related story in any medium.

Justice league bothered me because they only had one really strong female character (Hawkgirl), and she turned out to be a spy for the evil bird empire and got replaced with Supergirl ("tee hee, I'm a superhero!":j:), while Wonder Woman spent her whole time talking about how dreamy Superman is. First two seasons are good though.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/tanehisicoates/status/905784619068518403

He is such A lovable goober.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Wolfsbane posted:

Justice league bothered me because they only had one really strong female character (Hawkgirl), and she turned out to be a spy for the evil bird empire and got replaced with Supergirl ("tee hee, I'm a superhero!":j:), while Wonder Woman spent her whole time talking about how dreamy Superman is. First two seasons are good though.

Hawkgirl's return episode was one of the best of the series. Didn't really like the Hawkgirl/John/Vixen triangle but whatever. Wonder Woman was more into Batman and never really talked about how dreamy he was. This scene was good though:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LemY3KuQs-M Wonder Woman ain't give a gently caress she's gettin' that dude.

Thinking about it the episode where the team visits the old JSA analogue and their Flash tells John "you're a credit to your people, son" is such a McDuffie line.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

I'm putting the Kamala post together (because if I procrastinate anymore I fear it won't get done)

But oh man it's taking everything inside me not to veer off on a tangent about how Vixen is paid dust in every loving form ever, including the CW shows and her own loving cartoon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

He just did an interview today with NPR about his new article on racism being the force that got Trump elected: http://www.npr.org/2017/09/07/549098169/ta-nehisi-coates-on-obama-and-trumps-election

• Locked thread