Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

Quick thing to note here: by "broken" he wasn't like bugged or something, he was just way too loving hard.

The primary mechanic in the fight is something called Armageddon, which randomly places a bunch of circles on the ground that you have to stand in or else everyone takes a shitload of damage and takes a nasty dot. Two of these going off at once will wipe you.

Standing in them causes you to take some damage and get a sixty second long dot applied to you. He casts Armageddon about every fifty seconds. Now, there's also big circles. These deal a shitload of physical damage and will require either a tank to soak them or an immunity from a dps/healer.

In the initial incarnation of Mythic KJ, there were two big circles and ten small ones. That's over half your raid dealing with the loving things every fifty seconds.

Eventually they nerfed it down to eight small ones, then six after it was killed the first time. There were other nerfs, but that was probably the big one.

the thing that was holding method back also was that there is an ability that goes off occasonally that does a knock back and does shadow damage. And can knock you off the platform if not positioned properly. Said knock back was overlapping when they had to soak the Armageddons lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Holyshoot posted:

the thing that was holding method back also was that there is an ability that goes off occasonally that does a knock back and does shadow damage. And can knock you off the platform if not positioned properly. Said knock back was overlapping when they had to soak the Armageddons lol.

There's an overlap like that on heroic too at one point. Mind, the knockback is a lot further on mythic, and it's already a difficult overlap to deal with on heroic.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

There's an overlap like that on heroic too at one point. Mind, the knockback is a lot further on mythic, and it's already a difficult overlap to deal with on heroic.

pretty sure it was the "get next to the orb or you get knocked off" knock back happening at the same time as armageddon.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Holyshoot posted:

pretty sure it was the "get next to the orb or you get knocked off" knock back happening at the same time as armageddon.

Oh, the center one? Yeah, center one on mythic is you get knocked off no matter what, actually. :v:

The way you're supposed to deal with it is with a debuff that gets applied to the tank when a particular add dies. When this debuff is dispelled, everyone gets pulled to the tank's location.

Or if you're in a Mythic world first guild, everyone plays a class or race that can cheese the knockback. :v:

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
So does anyone have anything going, however small, on a server other than Excalibur?

I just got the game on a whim on Monday, and was able to get a character created on Excalibur (IGN Lothar Zogg), but the lower-level areas on this server are so empty, I feel like I'd rather level my first character on a more populous server. I figure I can then level my Excalibur character, or transfer another character over.

Anyone playing anywhere else?

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Why would you want two characters when you can do everything on one?

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat

Jose Valasquez posted:

I likely won't; I could just level a character elsewhere and transfer it to Excalibur. But who knows, down the road I may want to play the main story again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Jose Valasquez posted:

Trade having to use fantasia often for having to unlock everything from scratch again, ie. you want to play different anime princesses.

Or playing with friends on another server.

Capn Jobe posted:

So does anyone have anything going, however small, on a server other than Excalibur?

I just got the game on a whim on Monday, and was able to get a character created on Excalibur (IGN Lothar Zogg), but the lower-level areas on this server are so empty, I feel like I'd rather level my first character on a more populous server. I figure I can then level my Excalibur character, or transfer another character over.

That's odd, since Excalibur isn't exactly an empty server and most zones have Yokai-event fate trains running right now. What timezone are you in?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Capn Jobe posted:

Low level areas are going to be empty on any server because most people are doing later stuff. You're not going to find a server just bustling with new people hanging out at black brush station or quarrymill.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat

orcane posted:

Trade having to use fantasia often for having to unlock everything from scratch again, ie. you want to play different anime princesses.

Or playing with friends on another server.

That's odd, since Excalibur isn't exactly an empty server and most zones have Yokai-event fate trains running right now. What timezone are you in?

Pacific. But yesterday I was playing for some time in the afternoon, which should be peak time. Rarely saw another soul outside the cities, and those that I did see were mostly level 60-70 just passing through. I'm still in the lower-level areas, so I think the server is just light on new players. Makes sense, given what you have to go through to create a character. While I was waiting on Monday night for Excalibur to open up for character creation, I made a guy on a random server, and it was much more populous in the low-level areas.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also, Palace of the Dead exists. So people who are just leveling an alt class are likely to use that rather than bother with level-appropriate grinding in the world content.

So a server with a lot of veterans and relatively few newbies, like a limited-access server, will have fewer lowbies wandering around.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Capn Jobe posted:

Pacific. But yesterday I was playing for some time in the afternoon, which should be peak time. Rarely saw another soul outside the cities, and those that I did see were mostly level 60-70 just passing through. I'm still in the lower-level areas, so I think the server is just light on new players. Makes sense, given what you have to go through to create a character. While I was waiting on Monday night for Excalibur to open up for character creation, I made a guy on a random server, and it was much more populous in the low-level areas.

You're going to be in those low level areas a short time, and you're not going to want for people to do content with if you get into one of the goon FCs.

The only thing a bunch of low level people help with is fates, otherwise there's no benefit to having an overworld crowded with newbies vs one where most people have been playing a while. It doesn't affect any quests or story whatsoever.

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

If you make a new character on one of the low-population servers you get a +100% xp bonus to 60 on all sources. This means you don't have to grind at any point getting through the MSQ until SB, and even then you have a good head start. There are a decent number of new characters being made on these servers, too. The lowbie areas are pretty lively with the yokai watch event going on right now.

If you're considering playing on a server then transferring, I think it's probably the best choice.

(you also get the +100% bonus from fieldcraft and tradecraft leves, so leveling those classes is really ridiculously fast, if you're interested in crafting at all)

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

Soiled Meat

Mr. Nice! posted:

You're going to be in those low level areas a short time, and you're not going to want for people to do content with if you get into one of the goon FCs.

The only thing a bunch of low level people help with is fates, otherwise there's no benefit to having an overworld crowded with newbies vs one where most people have been playing a while. It doesn't affect any quests or story whatsoever.

Fair enough. Fates I was a bit concerned about, as I've heard you have to do quite a few to get a mount; is that accurate? And if so, on a server with few people my level doing fates, will that be at all an obstacle?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
It used to be that doing FATEs was the quickest way to get your GC Seals to buy your mount, but that has been reduced significantly. I believe now all you need to do is a few GC Hunting Log entries and you will be set.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You can get enough seals to get your mount in like 1 or 2 GC leves, it's really not an issue at all.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Capn Jobe posted:

Fair enough. Fates I was a bit concerned about, as I've heard you have to do quite a few to get a mount; is that accurate? And if so, on a server with few people my level doing fates, will that be at all an obstacle?

FATEs scale a bit, based on how many people are typically doing them at a given time. If no one is doing FATEs, then they'll usually be tuned in such a way that a single person could do them without trouble. With the Yokai event on, they might be tuned a little higher in some zones because lots of people are running from FATE to FATE in parties to quickly clear them for medals, but since people are doing them, you should have no trouble clearing them anyway. Ask for an invite into a FATE party in shout and you'll usually get one.

Also, don't really worry about FATEs that much. The biggest chunk of leveling XP you're going to get comes from dungeons and people are always doing those. Granted, DPS queues are a bit long, but once you unlock the leveling roulette after your second dungeon, you get a big bonus for doing it once a day. If you're on Excal, and you get into a goon FC, there will usually be someone willing to do a roulette with you because they offer bonuses to level-capped players as well.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Ive got tons of sprouts running around in my podunk-boonies server, Adamantoise.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

but as a whole it's pretty over exposed.

:raise:

I think Shisui's replaced the Thavnairian sets as the official uniform of sexy catgirls hasn't it? But yeah, I'm not a big fan of the other parts of that set but the top looks nice paired with a longish skirt and a better head piece.

Real quick question: I hit 70 on my RDM last night, and I'm working through the class quests to unlock Verholy and sweet RDM gear. I assume you want to have your white and black mana at least a little unbalanced (without getting the unbalanced penalty to mana generation) so you can loop Verflare/Verholy back to Verfire/Verstone. I seem to remember someone saying that there's an advantage to having one mana type ~20-30 points above the other, but I can't find anything in the tooltips that says why. Is there anything to this, or should I just keep white and black mana as close as possible, preferably without having them be exactly the same?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

i like the thavnair top too, don't get me wrong, it's still overdone though. part of a truly great glamour is others seeing it and thinking "what the gently caress is that? how do i get that" and you can't get that with thavnair/shisui

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Decided to give this another look. I did the free trial back in 2014 and it didn't make much impression on me, felt really console-y and the UI was so clunky. My lowbie free trial characters are still on my account, but has the new player experience changed in the last few years? Might start with a fresh character to take advantage of any improvements.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've turned every piece of shisui gear I've ever got into the GC vendor for seals.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I think Shisui's replaced the Thavnairian sets as the official uniform of sexy catgirls hasn't it? But yeah, I'm not a big fan of the other parts of that set but the top looks nice paired with a longish skirt and a better head piece.

Real quick question: I hit 70 on my RDM last night, and I'm working through the class quests to unlock Verholy and sweet RDM gear. I assume you want to have your white and black mana at least a little unbalanced (without getting the unbalanced penalty to mana generation) so you can loop Verflare/Verholy back to Verfire/Verstone. I seem to remember someone saying that there's an advantage to having one mana type ~20-30 points above the other, but I can't find anything in the tooltips that says why. Is there anything to this, or should I just keep white and black mana as close as possible, preferably without having them be exactly the same?

You should keep them as close to each other as possible, if you get I think an imbalance of 31 or more, you generate 50% less mana of the type you have less of. Ideally (and most likely) they're slightly imbalanced so you get the 100% free verfire/verstone, but it's really not a big deal if they happen to be equal or you already have a proc so you don't get it.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

technolizard posted:

Thread, help. I am apparently masochistic enough to try fishing for Nepto Dragon. Please tell me how long it took you, because I've been at it quite a while now and am about ready to rip all my hair out.

(P.S. yes I know the right conditions, I'm hooking it and it gets away every time)

It took me way longer to get a couple other fish, but I find everyone has a fish they struggle on. A lot of the fish are easier now thanks to patience, but I don't think any of them have a 100% catch rate, no matter how good your gear is or what level you are. Just try to stick it out and not get too upset about a fish giving you the slip over and over and over again. Sometimes you read weird poo poo online about how gear being too good gets in the way of catching a fish, but that's just crazy talk. It's just random, and you just have to accept it and be one with your fishing line.

As frustrating as the level 50 big fish quest line was at level 60, I really really want them to do another fishing quest line at 70. That being said, I kind of hate spearfishing and I bet it'd be included, so maybe we're better off.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Dick Trauma posted:

Decided to give this another look. I did the free trial back in 2014 and it didn't make much impression on me, felt really console-y and the UI was so clunky. My lowbie free trial characters are still on my account, but has the new player experience changed in the last few years? Might start with a fresh character to take advantage of any improvements.

The UI is largely unchanged, though a few extra options for customising it have been added and important side quests now look different (blue icon) so it's easier to decide which to do right away and which to save for later or ignore. And there's a hell of a lot of things to do so it helps that you can tell at a glance "I need to do this" or "just some bonus xp".

XP gains at low levels are also way up over what they were at release so very little grinding is needed at all up into the current expansion. You can basically just mainline main story quests with a handful of FATEs or daily roulettes tossed in and keep pace with where your level should be for where you are at in the MSQ. Be sure to unlock the challenge log at level 15 for even more bonus xp weekly for doing stuff your probably already doing.

They added the Hall of the Novice at level 15 which covers some basic MMO combat lessons separated by role, and even if that's all remedial for you it hands out free gear that will tide you over most of the way to level 30.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

You can't get one 30 points above the over and still do the full melee combo. Literally don't sweat this THAT much because between being busy with mechanics and the proc based nature of the class, planning out a 20 point gap ahead of time is going to turn out difficult without accidentally unbalancing yourself too far.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

You just need one a single point or more higher than the other for the guaranteed proc after your melee combo. It basically happens by itself.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

As long as we're asking nitpicky rdm Qs: if I'm in an aoe pull and have 45/45 mana, is it better to use manafication immediately and do a 3-moulinet attack, or get to 90/90 the slow way and save manafication for a 4-moulinet attack?

Assume the trash will survive either attack, I just want to know if there's a significant difference in dps.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thundarr posted:

The UI is largely unchanged, though a few extra options for customising it have been added and important side quests now look different (blue icon) so it's easier to decide which to do right away and which to save for later or ignore. And there's a hell of a lot of things to do so it helps that you can tell at a glance "I need to do this" or "just some bonus xp".

XP gains at low levels are also way up over what they were at release so very little grinding is needed at all up into the current expansion. You can basically just mainline main story quests with a handful of FATEs or daily roulettes tossed in and keep pace with where your level should be for where you are at in the MSQ. Be sure to unlock the challenge log at level 15 for even more bonus xp weekly for doing stuff your probably already doing.

They added the Hall of the Novice at level 15 which covers some basic MMO combat lessons separated by role, and even if that's all remedial for you it hands out free gear that will tide you over most of the way to level 30.

Okay, thank you. I think I'll start fresh and see how it goes.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Josuke Higashikata posted:

i like the thavnair top too, don't get me wrong, it's still overdone though. part of a truly great glamour is others seeing it and thinking "what the gently caress is that? how do i get that" and you can't get that with thavnair/shisui

This is a big reason why I keep using the Gambler's coat. That and it looks really good (as long as you don't zoom in too far)

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Ainsley McTree posted:

As long as we're asking nitpicky rdm Qs: if I'm in an aoe pull and have 45/45 mana, is it better to use manafication immediately and do a 3-moulinet attack, or get to 90/90 the slow way and save manafication for a 4-moulinet attack?

Assume the trash will survive either attack, I just want to know if there's a significant difference in dps.

In my experience, you may want to just use manafication and jump into it. Unless you're lucky with procs Scatter builds your mana at a terribly slow rate. You're liable to have the pack almost be dead by the time you're ready to bust out a 4/5 moulinet burst.

Of course if the other DPS are dragging it out then by all means.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
AOE is disrespectful to the content

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The game throws XP at you now, and you might wind up with two spot where you'll have to grind half a level, but the Main Scenario Quest is nice and long. There's a dead spot in the mid-40s, but you shouldn't really hit it.

My friend just joined on Excal, and had to grind for 10 minutes for like the level 14 MSQ starter. But he just unlocked Grand Companies (Level 20 requirement) at 24. For reference, I finished up the 3.x content at level 64 and the first quest in 4.0 pushed me to 65.

Game is good.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've turned every piece of shisui gear I've ever got into the GC vendor for seals.

you monster

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
unless you play a catgirl then put some loving clothes on

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

who needs shisui poo poo after the summer event gave out dyeable shisui

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

maybe if you want a different flavour of shi(t)sui(t) gear like with panty tassles or skirt ones i guess

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

homeless snail posted:

who needs shisui poo poo after the summer event gave out dyeable shisui

This basically.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

I don't know who this Lolorito dude is but I want to hit that smug poo poo really loving hard with my halberd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
really all I want from the sushi gear is the pants. everything else gets emperor newed

I have the prettiest roegadude in the land