Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

> open grey square case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just as a heads up - I am going to let Dave handle talking to the local greyhound folks and presumably he can charm them into accepting that this is in fact his package. I will keep following up with their baggage tracking folks and update the thread and Dave when I hear anything.

I will save going to the SLC baggage folks and pressuring them in person for if Dave runs into trouble in oglalla or if they can't seem to find his bike. I figure give them a couple of days to come up with it, right? Though this may be giving greyhound entirely too much credit.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I'm sure the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more likely that Dave gets the bike. The more the merrier.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Hypnolobster posted:

I'm sure the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more likely that Dave gets the bike. The more the merrier.

Or because they're a company that actively hates their customers, the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more they double down on their "policy."

I'd let Dave do what he can on his own at this point, and unless he directly asks someone for help, I'd not actively do anything.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Nothing you do will matter the people you can call are not the people that could load a box on a bus.

The internet is full of sob stories about greyhound losing everyshit.

Elephanthead fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Sep 7, 2017

kzersatz
Oct 13, 2012

How's it the kiss of death, if I have no lips?
College Slice

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Honest question, did you work for them when they were still CDMA, or after T-Mobile took over?

CDMA, I know it's a bit dated knowledge wise, but I haven't kept up with their news since my departure; the job was enough of a nightmare to drink the memories away for awhile lol

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

shortspecialbus posted:

Or because they're a company that actively hates their customers, the more poo poo they catch from all angles, the more they double down on their "policy."

I'd let Dave do what he can on his own at this point, and unless he directly asks someone for help, I'd not actively do anything.

Elephanthead posted:

Nothing you do will matter the people you can call are not the people that could load a box on a bus.

The internet is full of sob stories about greyhound losing everyshit.

Yep. Thread title again. Unless lightning strikes (I'm still hoping), it'll be a $250 payout. $1000 coverage was only $8...

The rollercoaster of this thread is intense.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This may sound loving ridiculous but: can we get the man an Uber?

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

This may sound loving ridiculous but: can we get the man an Uber?

I tried to look for Lyft and Uber the first night to get him the 50 miles and there is nothing there, I wish, I have a $50 Lyft credit

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Apparently there's a company starting operations in Nebraska called Liberty: http://libertymobilitynow.com/nebraska/ but they're just starting up, not sure they can help yet.

Maybe a good old fashioned taxi?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

:(

Leperflesh posted:

Maybe a good old fashioned taxi?

Or flip the script and call the police for help.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Tell dave to call one of the warmshowers people I linked ffs.
Explain his bike got lost by greyhound, and he needs to get to ogalla or whatever to get it. Everyone who says "sag" will pick people up of they're able.
Or gently caress, take a goddamn greyhound.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.
I can go $50 to wherever let me know.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Dave is laying by I-30 halfway between Paxton and Roscoe. NM can you contact anyone on the bike site? I honestly don't know what to do right now. If he can get to Oga I can get him a room and at least he will be by a Greyhound station. Anyone have any ideas? 14 has hit the wall he is about giving up.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
North Platte is the nearest taxi. At this point the cops are probably the better option. They will get him somewhere.

E & M Yellow Cab Co
517 N Bailey Ave
North Platte, NE 69101-4151
(308) 532-2345

Really should have gotten Greyhound to give him a free ticket from North Platte to where the gently caress the bike is. Has Greyhound found the bike?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Elephanthead posted:

Really should have gotten Greyhound to

It is an ordeal just getting greyhound to answer a phone, nevermind the absurd notion that they would ever do something for someone for free.

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

drat, dude. I really wish I had any better suggestions than Uber, taxi, emergency services if you are literally unable to walk. Post below is a long shot unless biker people are the absolute best (might very well be) but what's the worst that could happen? I can't log in and see who you're referencing without an account but hope Daves internet reception is well enough there to try

nm posted:

Tell dave to call one of the warmshowers people I linked ffs.
Explain his bike got lost by greyhound, and he needs to get to ogalla or whatever to get it. Everyone who says "sag" will pick people up of they're able.
Or gently caress, take a goddamn greyhound.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Is there a local newspaper/tv station we could contact as a possible human interest story?

"Good-hearted guy from Seattle down on his luck trying for a new start in Valentine, gets crossed up by Greyhound" would perhaps give someone in the area a chance to be a hero.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I dunno if it's passed the point of no return for him, but if he can get back to Platte we can totally get him a bus to La-la land, or whereever he needs to go.

I'm not sure what other options there are, there's not much else in Nebraska.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
UPDATE: 14 is getting a ride to Oga from the Highway Patrol (as a free man, or so I assume)

I will look into getting him a hotel room tonight, though I think they are more pricey here than in the other two towns. Anyone have a plan or any suggestions on what we do after that?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Hitchhiking is illegal, walking on highways is illegal, bringing Dave to cops' attention seems like a bad idea in general

e: welp

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

He needs to check in at the "Greyhound station" and fill out a claim form for his lost luggage, and formally request that it be sent to him there. Unless he is immediately going home (is there a home?) in which case he should try to have it sent there.

If we want to continue the adventure (and if he's willing), we need to decide how many days we're willing to wait for his bike. The cost of three day's hotel probably well exceeds the cost of a taxi ride all the way to Valentine, but I assume there's more than just a bike in the box, he had camping gear and stuff too, right?

If there's a budget between the lot of us, we should spend it the most wise way. Several nights in Ogallala might not be that... but if the result is restoration of a $1200 bike, and any other option isn't that, then staying in Ogallala makes the most financial sense.

It's a gamble no matter what, though, and 14" should have the final say.

e. walking on freeways is illegal ("restricted access") you can walk down a rural highway.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

As far as I know, there is no home in Seattle to return to. Sept. 1 was like his last day on his rent assistance/lease or whatever, and that's why he wanted out.
And yes, the majority of his supplies were in the boxes that were lost. I mean, I think most of it can be replaced, but its his call on what he wants to do.

I would hope that the case is the boxes were simply loaded onto another bus, and they're just making things difficult now because greyhound doesn't give a gently caress. If that's the case, the boxes may already be there.
Like when they lost my toolbox on the way back from Nebraska, it ended up a few days behind me. I got in on Friday night, and got it back Sunday morning, so best case it may just be a day or two.

I guess worst case, we're gonna have to source him some new gear at least. But it's ultimately up to him as to what he wants to do.

Although if he has a Highway Patrolman with him maybe that can get some stuff done?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Fwiw, rural cops giving people rides on the side of the road is pretty common. I think I've hitched 2 cop rides myself.
In any event, if he's not getting ogallala this way, let me know and I'll contact the person.
If he is there, I recommend dave reach out to them (this is better done by him, ws doesn't really work well in a friend of a friend system) and they might let him camp on thier lawn for a few days or something.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
So next stop is the Fat Dog bus station. Thanks Nebraska highway patrol.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Well 14 is now telling me of some wild Datura he has found and I am asking him kindly not to experiment with crazy psychoactive drugs he found on the side of the road

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

nm posted:

Fwiw, rural cops giving people rides on the side of the road is pretty common. I think I've hitched 2 cop rides myself.
In any event, if he's not getting ogallala this way, let me know and I'll contact the person.
If he is there, I recommend dave reach out to them (this is better done by him, ws doesn't really work well in a friend of a friend system) and they might let him camp on thier lawn for a few days or something.

he is en route to Oga, I have a line on a hotel tonight if it works out, and then if he needs to be in town a few days it would be a great help if he could reach out to those contacts

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

everdave posted:

Well 14 is now telling me of some wild Datura he has found and I am asking him kindly not to experiment with crazy psychoactive drugs he found on the side of the road

Where's your spirit of adventure man?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

ExplodingSims posted:

Where's your spirit of adventure man?

If he's looking for spirits the datura is probably the best bet.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
14 is in Oga

I will probably get him a room at the Travelodge tonight to let him rest and clean up, hopefully we can come up with a plan for beyond tomorrow...

Anyone who can help (and I don't mean just money, I mean planning and contacting people and greyhound and coordinating) please get in touch

he is safe for now and heading to the hotel to see if I can get him a room

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

ExplodingSims posted:

I would hope that the case is the boxes were simply loaded onto another bus, and they're just making things difficult now because greyhound doesn't give a gently caress. If that's the case, the boxes may already be there.
Like when they lost my toolbox on the way back from Nebraska, it ended up a few days behind me. I got in on Friday night, and got it back Sunday morning, so best case it may just be a day or two.

Yeah I think this is still a decently high probability outcome, and worth at least looking at.

I didn't know about the hip pain, is that something that doesn't prevent long-distance biking?

nm posted:

I don't think camping is an option until Dave gets his boxes that include his camping poo poo, right?

Old Binsby
Jun 27, 2014

Biking is easier on the leg joints than hiking so at least riding will be better than walking

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Bike and supplies are not at Oga "station" and they have no idea about it. They said they can call him if it shows up. He said he can get on a bus tonight at 10:15 (going where I don't know) or I offered to get him a hotel room tonight. He's going to Walmart to get something to eat

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
No theyll ask the bus driver tonight if hes seen any boxes but they said yhe best they can do is call me

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Jesus, it's getting where I'm afraid to check the thread for fear of new poo poo hitting a different fan.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ps didnt die lol

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Did you get a selfie with the cop

e. If I recall right, there's been a formal request to have your poo poo sent to Ogallala, right? I mean, you guys have some good reason to believe that's definitely happened, and your box is not gonna just sit at salt lake city forever? I remember there being something about you having to fill out a form in person.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
They assured me over the phone that "Every greyhound station and driver in the nation is looking for it" which I assume means every greyhound station and driver got an email update and rolled their eyes and continued jerking themselves off or whatever it is they do under the counter instead of doing their job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Dave, give things a day or two to settle out before you take off anywhere else. Things keep changing so fast nobody knows wtf is going on.

• Locked thread