Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwc6fTnsdBI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Brand Status: Brolic

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

The cast for that is insane.

quote:

Voices by Jaden Smith, Tavi Gevinson, Desus & Mero (yeaaaah buddy), Amandla Stenberg, Willow Smith, Jude Law, Susan Sarandon, Steve Buscemi, and Jason Schwartzman.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

HotCanadianChick posted:

He just did an interview today with NPR about his new article on racism being the force that got Trump elected: http://www.npr.org/2017/09/07/549098169/ta-nehisi-coates-on-obama-and-trumps-election

I couldn't finish that article. It's stuff I've known for a while (growing up in the deep south without being native to it) but just how well he laid it out made my blood pressure rise.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Dexo posted:

Brand Status: Brolic

So brolic.

Mero is my favorite Dominican besides me.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the main character's design kinda reminds me of loran cehack

not that that's a bad thing cause i love loran cehack, he's the best gundam protag

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Koalas March posted:

This should probably go in the OP

http://www.theroot.com/five-rules-for-black-cookouts-and-life-1798706295

Phone posting so no quotes but drat

quote:

Nunna Yorz
Michael Harriot
9/01/17 1:33pm
I was invited to a white cookout once. Not a mixed one, an almost all white one except for me and a girl I was crushing on at the time. It was her adoptive family. There was no music. There was no spades. The potato salad didn’t have raisins in it, but the pasta salad did have nuts and berries. And the chicken... The chicken was the worst. They BOILED each piece, and THEN put it on the grill, with no seasoning, and just barbecue sauce on it. I only ate hotdogs that day.

I can top that. Brace for :siren: MAXIMUM WHITENESS :siren:

A cookout centered on boiled baby back ribs that never hit the grill at all, covered in Heinz Chili Sauce instead of real BBQ sauce.

Waterbed Wendy
Jan 29, 2009

sean10mm posted:

A cookout centered on boiled baby back ribs that never hit the grill at all, covered in Heinz Chili Sauce instead of real BBQ sauce.

Is that a crime cause it should be.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

sean10mm posted:

this should be a crime against humanity

where they punishing you

what did you do

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Maybe wypipo wouldn't be so racist if they had a decent meal once in a while.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Wait, boiling meat is a thing?

I thought that was a joke about white northerners doing unholy things with their food like putting sugar on grits.

Edit: Assuming they even know what grits are.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I thought that was a joke about white northerners doing unholy things with their food like putting sugar on grits.

Brits do it a lot. Actually there's some ways to cook ribs chinese-style where you boil shortribs and then do stuff to them, but that's a little different.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Here I thought I was maximum whiteness but drat not even a jar of lovely Kraft barbecue sauce on some ribs?

And there's some people that will boil ribs a little because it softens them up for the grill. Usually you put, like, spice in the water to make it more of a broth you're boiling it in. Boiled chicken is just... what is that?

Edit: Also a tip if you decide to bring your super white friend along with your super white self to a barbecue with POC, make sure he won't suddenly drop into every bit of slang he heard on the radio that he never uses in any other place.

And the Korean lady that owns the convenience store I go to is having a charity barbecue that I'm super hyped for. I've ordered a plate of everything already.

Edit 2:

Gaunab posted:

What kind of monster would ruin potato salad by putting raisins in it?

I've heard of it, it's a salad after all. You just kind of toss stuff in there and see what tastes good.

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 8, 2017

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

What kind of monster would ruin potato salad by putting raisins in it?

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Edit: Assuming they even know what grits are.

silvergoose posted:

Brits do it a lot. Actually there's some ways to cook ribs chinese-style where you boil shortribs and then do stuff to them, but that's a little different.
Yeah, it's a traditional English thing, and one of Austria's national dishes. Though in both of those cases, it seems more like "very deep pot roast" than simply boiling the crap out of it.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

Boiling meat is generally dumb because you cook out all the flavor. The cloudiness in water after boiling meat is flavor you have lost, although boiling and then searing sausage in a skillet to brown it is a common technique. Anyway to get the bad taste out of the threads mouth, look at these ribs I smoked last weekend (cross post from something offal).

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

sean10mm posted:

Goddamn. That's BBQ for people who are way too proud of their suburbanite status.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Push El Burrito posted:

Here I thought I was maximum whiteness but drat not even a jar of lovely Kraft barbecue sauce on some ribs?

And there's some people that will boil ribs a little because it softens them up for the grill. Usually you put, like, spice in the water to make it more of a broth you're boiling it in. Boiled chicken is just... what is that?

I'll Boil chicken out of sheer laziness if I'm going to be shredding it for like a chicken salad or something. Boil them in some salt water.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Dexo posted:

I'll Boil chicken out of sheer laziness if I'm going to be shredding it for like a chicken salad or something. Boil them in some salt water.

See if I'm feeling lazy I'll just toss it in the slow cooker.

I did know a guy who was SUPER paranoid about bacteria that would toss ground beef patties in boiling water for a minute before grilling them so he could make sure there was nothing in there.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/miagaluppo/status/906236165400944640

quote:

John David Washington (the son of Denzel Washington) will star in the adaptation of a memoir by an African American police detective who infiltrated the KKK.
Lee will direct and produce the movie with Peele producing via his banner Monkeypaw Productions.

Klansman tells the story of Ron Stallworth, a detective in Colorado Springs, Colorado, who in 1978 answered an ad in the local newspaper seeking new Klan members. He not only gained membership, but rose through the ranks to become the head of the local chapter. Stallworth, who is black, was able to gather all sorts of intelligence by pretending to be a white supremacist on the phone or via other forms of correspondence but sent a white fellow officer in his place for any in-person meetings. During his undercover work, Stallworth managed to sabotage several cross-burnings and other activities of the notorious hate group.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I was recently on a trip to Ireland, and stopped by the excellent Cobh Museum, which outlines the town's history as an important port (among other things, it was the last stop for the Titanic before it sank) for a country that experienced a great deal of emigration. One thing that got touched upon was the system of indentured servitude, where you essentially sold yourself to your employer for a fixed period of time, and became a tradable resource for the course of your contract. Given that Irish emigrants tended to be extremely poor, it was a popular way to buy your passage out of Ireland. Anyway, the reason I'm bringing this up is because the museum specifically took pains to attack the 'Irish people were slaves too' argument and explain that this was not the same as the chattel slavery black Africans experienced, and had an entire little audiovisual panel laying out the differences between the systems and between how those subjected to them were treated.

Cool little detail, in my eyes.

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/TheRoot/status/906926255148122112

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
One time I told my grandmother (age 93) that if I were in a room of primarily non-white people, that I didn't think that I'd particularly want to gravitate toward any other white people who happened to be in the room, because they'd probably see my whiteness as an excuse to be racist as gently caress toward the rest of the room under their breath, immediately assuming I'm the same way. It was part of a bigger conversation about people different from ourselves, just for context. It'd be kinda weird to say something like that apropos of nothing.

Anyway, I have a short tale from today that made me think of that conversation.

Setup: I moved to Kentucky a few months back (right there the situation is way different, definitely not a place with many non-white faces), and recently I've taken over the getting of groceries for the family. Blah blah fast forward I'm at the local Kroger's feeling like absolute rear end after nearly two hours of navigating the aisles and waiting on poo poo and a mellow older gentleman out of nowhere sidles up and remarks on how the couple speaking Spanish that just walked by really oughta learn to speak English if they're gonna come live here. Add all the usual canards about how he'd learn Spanish if he went to Spain (he wouldn't) and something something it's only right...Otherwise a fairly affable sort, friendly and probably just ignorant as gently caress about anyone different, but exactly the type of white dude you'd expect to spout some poo poo like that.

It's the kinda thing I really should have responded better to. At least to say something like, "Maybe they're learning and it's just easier to speak their first language when they're talking to each other, and furthermore it's not our national language, so I really don't feel bothered and neither should you" if not just "That's pretty racist, sir." Instead, all that came out was, "I'm sure it'd help if they did."

In my defense, I'm a goon and therefore possessed of the expected amount of social anxiety and I'm in enough pain every waking hour that I just don't have the energy to start poo poo with someone in a grocery store, justified or otherwise. I do feel bad that I don't have the nerve to speak up even in a low-to-no stakes situation like that, though. I mean, low stakes goes both ways so not much was lost, but it still feels like a moral failure on my part.

I guess I just felt the need to share that and wear my failure on my sleeve. Hopefully I can think of it the next time some ignorant rolls along thinking the color of my skin means I'll automatically be on board with whatever garbage opinions they have about people from other places, or who don't look enough like they do.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Hey so the new South Park video game adjusts your character's skin color based on your chosen difficulty.

Poly posted an article today where they make their little South Park dude and there harder the game is set, the darker your character's skin color becomes. The game explains that your skin color determines how other people in he game will treat you when they first meet you.

So basically reddit is screaming bloody murder and the official response so far has been "LoL if this bothers you then you are probably a racist."

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Hey so the new South Park video game adjusts your character's skin color based on your chosen difficulty.

Poly posted an article today where they make their little South Park dude and there harder the game is set, the darker your character's skin color becomes. The game explains that your skin color determines how other people in he game will treat you when they first meet you.

So basically reddit is screaming bloody murder and the official response so far has been "LoL if this bothers you then you are probably a racist."

It bothers me in so much as I have absolutely zero faith in Matt and Trey to execute that well at all.

You can also change your gender pronouns in that game.

I have zero faith in them handling that well either(especially how they handled it on the show previously)

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Didn't they make a big thing about Cartman being an rear end in a top hat while in the background Stan was legitimately having confused thoughts about gender?

The last game was good. Hopefully this one will be too. They can miss the mark mostly but sometimes they land it so well like they did with the George Zimmerman episode.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Probably not a good idea to come into Negrotown just to treat it like a confessional for your white guilt. The best thing to do now is work out what you will say the next time you're in that situation and how you can override the "don't rock the boat" instinct we all hide behind as an excuse not of confront racism when we see it.

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?
Fair. I hadn't considered that it could come off like that. Part of learning.

I try not to do more than just read here unless something like or at least adjacent to the topics here actually pops up in my life. I guess the chat thread would have been a better place for it but I didn't take the time to look beyond bookmarks before giving in to the urge to :justpost:

Have this from another D&D thread. It's probably a better thing to share here:

Mr Interweb posted:

This may have posted, but it absolutely deserves to be posted again:

https://twitter.com/Choco_Optimus/status/906686851079180288

Holeeeee poo poo, this dude is loving AWESOME.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Push El Burrito posted:

Didn't they make a big thing about Cartman being an rear end in a top hat while in the background Stan was legitimately having confused thoughts about gender?

The last game was good. Hopefully this one will be too. They can miss the mark mostly but sometimes they land it so well like they did with the George Zimmerman episode.

The last game has this as a remark. When you chose a thief and had darker skin, Carman would remark that your character looks dark enough to be a thief.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

Forceholy posted:

The last game has this as a remark. When you chose a thief and had darker skin, Carman would remark that your character looks dark enough to be a thief.

Also there's a whole class called "Jew".

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
The worst thing South Park ever did was make Cartman right about anything ever. In the beginning he was saying reprehensible things but he always lost. When he stopped getting his comeuppance for being a horrible piece of poo poo was when the show started going downhill quick.

It's the Archie Bunker thing all over again where people don't realize they're not supposed to identify with the racist.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Cartman is the prototype alt-right.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

He certainly resembles a number of them based on the videos I've seen from alt-right rallies.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I always thought when Cayman was right we were supposed to laugh at how absurd reality had to warp to make him right?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Morby posted:

Also there's a whole class called "Jew".

That is one hell of a context, I don't know how else to describe this series. I played the first game about halfway through. I kinda like it, this sequel video game making the white child easy mode, the brown child medium, and the black child hard mode.

It makes a fantastic headline, I do feel like I'm playing life on medium right now.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

That is one hell of a context, I don't know how else to describe this series. I played the first game about halfway through. I kinda like it, this sequel video game making the white child easy mode, the brown child medium, and the black child hard mode.

It makes a fantastic headline, I do feel like I'm playing life on medium right now.

I beat the game. I won't spoil it for you, but with Matt Stone actually being Jewish the Jew jokes don't rub me the same way. He has a connection to the culture. It's not some rear end in a top hat making Jew jokes just because. I do not trust them to do that with this game with regard to race.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Morby posted:

I beat the game. I won't spoil it for you, but with Matt Stone actually being Jewish the Jew jokes don't rub me the same way. He has a connection to the culture. It's not some rear end in a top hat making Jew jokes just because. I do not trust them to do that with this game with regard to race.

This is my feeling on pretty much anything Trey and Matt do. I went into the Book of Mormon blind, not even knowing it was written by them (I was invited by someone else), and it had all their calling cards with truth is in the middle-ism, shock value punch lines that kick down, and absolutely no resolution that earns the right to use things they did as shock value.

Honestly I find their version of 'satire' cowardly and incapable of ever truly making any sort of moral statement, least of all one that would actually challenge the worldview of their audience. Being white as easy mode is one of those jokes is very easy to make given the multitude of stand up routines that say as much and come before it. Constructing a proper commentary will take a bit more than that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How many other games out there use racial privilege as a difficulty slider?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Panfilo posted:

in morrowind the redguards, the only black race, have an ability called adrenaline boost that gives a bonus to their strength and athleticism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Panfilo posted:

So far as I know, the concept spawns off of a Scalzi post from 2012

"Straight White Male: The lowest difficulty setting there is" posted:

So, the challenge: how to get across the ideas bound up in the word “privilege,” in a way that your average straight white man will get, without freaking out about it?

Being a white guy who likes women, here’s how I would do it:

Dudes. Imagine life here in the US — or indeed, pretty much anywhere in the Western world — is a massive role playing game, like World of Warcraft except appallingly mundane, where most quests involve the acquisition of money, cell phones and donuts, although not always at the same time. Let’s call it The Real World. You have installed The Real World on your computer and are about to start playing, but first you go to the settings tab to bind your keys, fiddle with your defaults, and choose the difficulty setting for the game. Got it?

Okay: In the role playing game known as The Real World, “Straight White Male” is the lowest difficulty setting there is.

This means that the default behaviors for almost all the non-player characters in the game are easier on you than they would be otherwise. The default barriers for completions of quests are lower. Your leveling-up thresholds come more quickly. You automatically gain entry to some parts of the map that others have to work for. The game is easier to play, automatically, and when you need help, by default it’s easier to get.

Now, once you’ve selected the “Straight White Male” difficulty setting, you still have to create a character, and how many points you get to start — and how they are apportioned — will make a difference. Initially the computer will tell you how many points you get and how they are divided up. If you start with 25 points, and your dump stat is wealth, well, then you may be kind of screwed. If you start with 250 points and your dump stat is charisma, well, then you’re probably fine. Be aware the computer makes it difficult to start with more than 30 points; people on higher difficulty settings generally start with even fewer than that.

As the game progresses, your goal is to gain points, apportion them wisely, and level up. If you start with fewer points and fewer of them in critical stat categories, or choose poorly regarding the skills you decide to level up on, then the game will still be difficult for you. But because you’re playing on the “Straight White Male” setting, gaining points and leveling up will still by default be easier, all other things being equal, than for another player using a higher difficulty setting.

Likewise, it’s certainly possible someone playing at a higher difficulty setting is progressing more quickly than you are, because they had more points initially given to them by the computer and/or their highest stats are wealth, intelligence and constitution and/or simply because they play the game better than you do. It doesn’t change the fact you are still playing on the lowest difficulty setting.

You can lose playing on the lowest difficulty setting. The lowest difficulty setting is still the easiest setting to win on. The player who plays on the “Gay Minority Female” setting? Hardcore.

And maybe at this point you say, hey, I like a challenge, I want to change my difficulty setting! Well, here’s the thing: In The Real World, you don’t unlock any rewards or receive any benefit for playing on higher difficulty settings. The game is just harder, and potentially a lot less fun.

• Locked thread