Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

either a good game with a lot of bad ideas or a bad game with a lot of good ideas, and to this day I cannot decide which.

The dragon's dogma dilemma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RareAcumen posted:

Metal Gear Rising Revengeance was the only game I could remember all the combos for, so I wish there was an option for you to turn on the combo bar they use in loading screens for the entirety of the game (That I actually am complaining about) in Bayonetta. I'm sure I'm not even pulling off an actual combo half the time.

the game's combos are so exhaustive that you'll either end up doing the combo you were looking for or fluke into a brand new one depending on how long you delayed between inputs.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got caught out by another bad ending in Nier Auitomata. I'm still hating that it doesn't save - it says it is but it only saves that you've seen the ending. Any completed sidequests get booted out of the queue, I went from 40% to 33%. Fucker.

Somewhere Yoko Taro is cackling atop his throne of Android heads.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'm back up to 43% although the quests from 9S buddy in the O-series are annoying because they seem random when you get contacted by her - I did a bunch of poo poo in the desert and she never gave me her second research task. Although I did love how the game-dev machine's quest ended, with a lovely barely functional level that only took 6 kills to break, then he gave up :3:. Although it seems that there are quests exclusive for both of them, like 9S has a bunch of hacking quests (:h: the Wise Machines) but it seems that the desert dweller's quest for research (the one that ends with kill machines in 30 seconds without getting hit) may be exclusive to 2B due to it just not showing up for 9S, so I'll probably do the remaining 9S quests minus the parade, then move on to the forest.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

moosecow333 posted:

Somewhere Yoko Taro is cackling atop his throne of Android heads.

Seeing people defend every criticism of Nier Automata with "it's supposed to be bad" makes me almost long for the days when people just argued that bad Platinum games were because of "the B Team".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Yeah I dunno, there's a lot of... amateurishly bad things in Automata. I love all the character interactions and the game does some unique stuff with the presentation but a lot of the quests and even overworld traversal and fighting are bizarrely bland and devoid of content for a $60 game from a professional director in 2017.

It's little stuff that stands out to me too, like when 2B and 9S are on the roller coaster, their bodies tilt perpendicular to the coaster rather than them adjusting for gravity.

If it weren't for the incredible soundtrack and some really good moments like arriving in the amusement park the game would be a real dud.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

RyokoTK posted:

Yeah I dunno, there's a lot of... amateurishly bad things in Automata. I love all the character interactions and the game does some unique stuff with the presentation but a lot of the quests and even overworld traversal and fighting are bizarrely bland and devoid of content for a $60 game from a professional director in 2017.

It's little stuff that stands out to me too, like when 2B and 9S are on the roller coaster, their bodies tilt perpendicular to the coaster rather than them adjusting for gravity.

If it weren't for the incredible soundtrack and some really good moments like arriving in the amusement park the game would be a real dud.

the combat's shallow, and i see why since the game's got more emphasis on travelling the open world than other platinum games, but some of the trickier chests require you to know about some advanced jumping moves that you could probably play through the whole game and never learn about.

i love the art direction, but seeing all the industrial environments really early on and then seeing the desaturated bunker make the game feel really washed out.

like playing this game and then playing nier i can see now how much of this game is an extension of nier's content.

Guy Mann posted:

Seeing people defend every criticism of Nier Automata with "it's supposed to be bad" makes me almost long for the days when people just argued that bad Platinum games were because of "the B Team".

does the ninja turtles game fall into that set? i've heard nothing but bad things about it and that sucks because platinum + tmnt is all i would ever want.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Action Tortoise posted:

the combat's shallow, and i see why since the game's got more emphasis on travelling the open world than other platinum games, but some of the trickier chests require you to know about some advanced jumping moves that you could probably play through the whole game and never learn about.

The traveling isn't very good either though. The game has Skyrim syndrome where you want to fast travel everywhere because there's nothing loving interesting between you and the next quest marker. After you've seen the cool sights once you're good to go, but the game has no issue making you run back and forth across the City Ruins several times in a row before the fast travel is unlocked.

And it also has the Dark Souls problem where the best way to traverse a zone is just to run around all the enemies in it.

RyokoTK has a new favorite as of 23:56 on Sep 7, 2017

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That's not a problem though

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

the game's combos are so exhaustive that you'll either end up doing the combo you were looking for or fluke into a brand new one depending on how long you delayed between inputs.

Since not every combo ends in a Wicked Weave, I still feel like I should have some form of list on hand. >:/

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I'm annoyed by discovering you use the circle button to crouch in Bioshock Infinite... after playing through the entire main game & half the first Burial at Sea episode without noticing it somehow.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Not to mention you stagger out of your sprint whenever you hit one of the thousands of rocks or bushes scattered around :argh:

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

moosecow333 posted:

Not to mention you stagger out of your sprint whenever you hit one of the thousands of rocks or bushes scattered around :argh:

That's one of those things that's so dumb I had to laugh. Like getting a game over at the start of route B if you go down the lift away from the flight suit.

The game is shameless in its audacious dumbness at times, which is sometimes ok but often not. Getting that game over was funny until I had to do the dumb intro with the bucket again.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
I'll go ahead and defend the button to pick stuff up in Wolfenstein, if just because on Uber difficulty you really don't want to blow the random health packs if you can avoid it. Just finished an Uber run of both TNO and TOB and found that the little medkits actually give you chunks of regen healing beyond the 10hp they click over to you, and you really want picking up that last emergency medkit to be intentional in the middle of a firefight. It's a PITA collectathon on lower difficulties but something you really want control over when things get rough.

What I won't defend though is the unlockable quick-turn in TNO. Never useful, and it ended up getting me killed while trying to back away and melee at the same time a bunch of times. I really wish I could opt out of that stupid perk. :argh:

Schneider Inside Her posted:

What dragged down TNO for me is that the final boss is really, really difficult, which soured my experience a little in what was otherwise a fantastic game.

He's a total pushover if you use the LKW. Half a blast stuns him (which is the only damage he takes, everything else is just wasted ammo) and the final arena has charging stations hidden behind tons of cover.

I did die like a dozen times before figuring that out though, admittedly.

Dewgy has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Sep 8, 2017

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Destiny 2 seems like a nice improvement on Destiny, except they completely ruined shaders.

Shaders are basically dye schemes for your gear, and Destiny 1 had a ton of them. You got them from a huge variety of activities: random drops, rep grind, buy from a vendor, exploration, mission completion and etc. You had an equipment slot for them and could swap them around at will. You could only carry around a certain number of them, but if you dropped one it was saved in your collection and you could have it restored for a token amount of in game currency.

In Destiny 2 they changed it so that rather than having one shader applied over your entire character each piece of equipment has its own shader slot. This sounds like a good thing, but the reason they did it is that shaders are now consumables which you apply to a single piece of gear and are gone. So if you want to dye an entire gear set you'll need to find 2 or 3 drops worth. Which is good for Bungie because you can now get them through microstransactions. You can still find them in other ways, but the "first hit is free" loot boxes are the only ones I've found so far and I'm most of the way through the campaign.

I honestly wouldn't mind the fact that you can get them from loot boxes so much, except they obviously changed them from reusable to consumable to support the loot box model. I can't really think of any way that change isn't just strictly worse. I probably changed my shaders around hourly when I played Destiny, and now there's no way I'll be able to do that unless I go full whale and have a stack of 99 of each of the ones I like sitting in my inventory. So my favorite part of the game's character customization is totally neutered.

At least if I'm playing, say, Overwatch and finally get the skin I want from its lovely loot box system the skin doesn't disappear from my inventory if I ever take it off. This is Korean F2P MMO tier bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

The Moon Monster posted:

Destiny 2 seems like a nice improvement on Destiny, except they completely ruined shaders.
This is a hit right in the heart because I changed my shaders constantly. Basically any time we weren't actively shooting dudes I was loving with my shaders to decide which ones looked coolest. Or ugliest. Or made my warlock look most like a motel bed sheet. Hopefully the ones you get for like, achivements and raids and poo poo are permanent.

EDIT: looking into this more, this might be the angriest I've been about video games in years. Apparently they made them into a super lovely grind because they wanted people to farm old raids and poo poo long after they stopped being relevant. Because they were upset with how no one did crota more than once after Taken King came out because they refused to let you upgrade its gear to current light levels. So now rather than getting the coolest shader in the game and applying it whenever you want, you'd have to farm it for a whole set of shaders, then go farm again any time you replaced a piece of armor!

Nuebot has a new favorite as of 07:27 on Sep 8, 2017

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dewgy posted:

the button to pick stuff up in Wolfenstein

Prey has spoiled me, almost every game that uses a button to pick stuff up would benefit from automatically hoovering up everything in range instantly if you hold the button down. Though Prey has the problem where holding down the button also makes you holster your weapon so more than I'd like I'd run into a bad guy and take some damage because I had to wait for the animation of pulling my gun back out to play.

e. Also, Prey is normally a gorgeous game but combining day-glo Nerf gun colors with its retro-futuristic 60s art deco design is really ugly.

Guy Mann has a new favorite as of 03:07 on Sep 8, 2017

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm fine with that - wasnt it developed by a bunch of dorky engineers? Not exactly a design committee in a company that wants to sell products.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Morpheus posted:

I'm fine with that - wasnt it developed by a bunch of dorky engineers? Not exactly a design committee in a company that wants to sell products.

Yeah the emails are the engineers going back and forth about making it to gently caress with each other using company property. I found it endearing.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I just lost all of my good chips in Nier:A because some rear end in a top hat with an axe did a spinning lariat and Overclock turbocharged his attack. I guess when an enemy does a continuous attack, the hurtbox doesn't go away when Overclock goes off, so it just annihilates you if you're in it. Now all my good chips are gone and I don't have anything to help me get out of the factory because everything kills me in two hits. The level design in this part of the factory is absolutely loving obnoxious.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I thought the factory was cool, I mean the music there is awesome, but yeah finding where to go was a nightmare.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
It's less finding out where to go and more "have fun trying to fight 4 enemies while running against a conveyor belt with a whole bunch of poo poo in the foreground and a ceiling too low to do anything but jump over the poo poo we're putting in the way". The whole thing is tedious because I'll move forward, these things show up, and I have no choice but to start backpedaling, otherwise I get ganked. Then, once I've beat those four, four more show up, so I'm making no progress whatsoever. I can't go around them, and I can't get through them, and because I've lost all my chips, they (and everything else in the building) are killing me in one hit.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

I reached episode 2 of Burial at Sea, the Bioshock Infinite DLC and 10 minutes after starting I think I'm done. I enjoyed playing Infinite a great deal, but for some reason I can't work up the same enthusiasm for DLC that plays nothing like the main game. Funny, that. gently caress's sake, Ken Levine, if I wanted a stealth game I'd play Phantom Pain. Your story isn't nearly good enough for me to put up with this bullshit so I can see the ~*true ending*~

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Rangpur posted:

I reached episode 2 of Burial at Sea, the Bioshock Infinite DLC and 10 minutes after starting I think I'm done. I enjoyed playing Infinite a great deal, but for some reason I can't work up the same enthusiasm for DLC that plays nothing like the main game. Funny, that. gently caress's sake, Ken Levine, if I wanted a stealth game I'd play Phantom Pain. Your story isn't nearly good enough for me to put up with this bullshit so I can see the ~*true ending*~

Honestly, the more you liked the story of Bioshock the more I'd try to dissuade you from playing burial at sea. It isnt a good story in an of itself, and then it does its best to retroactively poo poo up the perfectly good story of the first Bioshock. Its a loving mess from top to bottom.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And its attempt to fix one of the glaringly bad parts of Infinite just made things worse.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

SiKboy posted:

Honestly, the more you liked the story of Bioshock the more I'd try to dissuade you from playing burial at sea. It isnt a good story in an of itself, and then it does its best to retroactively poo poo up the perfectly good story of the first Bioshock. Its a loving mess from top to bottom.

Burial at Sea is great if you think of it as intentionally being a middle finger to the people who complained about the lack of stealth in Infinite and nitpicked a bunch of minor plot beats that didn't really matter while also neatly closing off every open end in the series so that after their studio shut down 2k couldn't make anymore Bioshock sequels.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Inco posted:

I just lost all of my good chips in Nier:A because some rear end in a top hat with an axe did a spinning lariat and Overclock turbocharged his attack. I guess when an enemy does a continuous attack, the hurtbox doesn't go away when Overclock goes off, so it just annihilates you if you're in it. Now all my good chips are gone and I don't have anything to help me get out of the factory because everything kills me in two hits. The level design in this part of the factory is absolutely loving obnoxious.

Every time I died I just reloaded the game because gently caress that body finding garbage. Also dodge more. Like, just spam that dodge button my dude.

Inco posted:

It's less finding out where to go and more "have fun trying to fight 4 enemies while running against a conveyor belt with a whole bunch of poo poo in the foreground and a ceiling too low to do anything but jump over the poo poo we're putting in the way". The whole thing is tedious because I'll move forward, these things show up, and I have no choice but to start backpedaling, otherwise I get ganked. Then, once I've beat those four, four more show up, so I'm making no progress whatsoever. I can't go around them, and I can't get through them, and because I've lost all my chips, they (and everything else in the building) are killing me in one hit.

I assume you're still playing as 9S? Hack them. Just chain hack everyone and make them all explode.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

Nuebot posted:

I assume you're still playing as 9S? Hack them. Just chain hack everyone and make them all explode.

Not even there yet, my dude. I found a white city and fought a guy in there and then went back to the Factory with Pascal

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Funny thing was, I thought they were already doing a pretty good job making you work with scarcer resources in the first episode. Plus, I was curious where the hell they were going with this (and why there was still a lone Comstock runining around after they erased him from the timeline in the main game). But no. How is it not common knowledge by this point that stealth is only fun if you built your game from the ground up with that in mind? Metal Gear's stealth works. So does Horizon Zero Dawn, by all accounts. It's doable. You just need to do a hell of a lot more than slap sight meters on all the enemies.

Gitro
May 29, 2013
I was surprised how decent TNO's stealth was. Extremely forgiving, and even in the areas where it was built up as necessary you could always shank your way out of being caught. It was just a bonus thing you could use.

Grim Dawn - dark green damage floors in a dark, green tinted area full of enemies that create floor obscuring green damage zones. Peer at the minimap to figure out if you're just being hit hard or have a toe on the death tiles. Loot will absolutely drop on the areas you can't stand on too, it's great.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In Mario and Rabbids Kingdom Battle, to get a "perfect" in a fight, you need to complete the objective in a certain amount of turns, with everyone in the team alive. It doesn't tell you how many turns you need to be under for a perfect until you win. I've never not gotten a perfect, but it's really stressful having to find an "optimal" way to get through a battle with my rag tag team of morons as fast as I can.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Nier Automata Sidequests: I'm onto the third and final race against speed-bot. God is this one annoying, I'm going to try the trick where you spam the slowdown L1 ability because it apparently slows everything in the area, including the racer, and I'm out of speed-boost items.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

BioEnchanted posted:

Nier Automata Sidequests: I'm onto the third and final race against speed-bot. God is this one annoying, I'm going to try the trick where you spam the slowdown L1 ability because it apparently slows everything in the area, including the racer, and I'm out of speed-boost items.

Use fists or a spear during the initial dismount. That's where you're losing 90% of your momentum. Shouldn't need any items or slowdown tricks.

Somfin has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Sep 9, 2017

Gitro
May 29, 2013
IIRC you can also start your self destruct sequence during the drop to skip the landing animation. If you've never done it before I think it's both sticks pressed at once, you have to hold them for a couple of seconds to actually explode so you can just let go and carry on.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

There's one specific program or something that basically just lets you cheat it. I highly recommend just getting that because the race is bullshit.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've beaten the race now, just glad it was the last one. I also found Masamune in the forest so I have some level 4 weapons now. I still only have 58% of the weapons themselves though, and I am sitting pretty at 62% sidequests done. :)

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

The rooftop snipers during the driving bits of Dick Tracy for the NES (which is otherwise a kinda neat and ambitious little game) are just TERRIBLE. The lifebar you have when you're in a building (looking for suspects and clues, i.e. the meat of the game) is the same lifebar you have when you're driving your clunky little car around and getting chewed up by snipers, unless you poke along, hop out of the car the instant you spot a sniper (they're not immediately obvious, which I guess is kind of the point of being a sniper), and shoot it before it shoots you.

Oh yeah, there are no lives and no continues; you just get a password at the end of every case. The cases are LONG.

I only just learned you can farm first aid kits, though, which is a saving grace - although you can't use them on the world (driving) map! :argh:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I finally got around to beating Dark Souls and good lord was Izalith as bad as everyone said. I ended up watching a video of somebody going through the area because I couldn't even see where the pathways were. I think the non-linearity kind of got in the way too. I ended up so far ahead of the difficulty curve I kind of sleep-walked through the second half of the game. I beat two of the four lord soul bosses on my first try despite going in to them completely blind. Some of the bosses I don't know what they even do because I killed them before they got off a single attack.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

rodbeard posted:

I finally got around to beating Dark Souls and good lord was Izalith as bad as everyone said. I ended up watching a video of somebody going through the area because I couldn't even see where the pathways were. I think the non-linearity kind of got in the way too. I ended up so far ahead of the difficulty curve I kind of sleep-walked through the second half of the game. I beat two of the four lord soul bosses on my first try despite going in to them completely blind. Some of the bosses I don't know what they even do because I killed them before they got off a single attack.
Izalith would be better if the bosses were good, but all four of them just suck. Still an amazing game, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

Izalith would be better if the bosses were good, but all four of them just suck. Still an amazing game, though.

I was about to correct you and say there were three because I had already forgotten about the guy that makes the lava shut off despite playing through the area for the very first time today.