Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

fishmech posted:

Soylent is just a worse version of all the meal replacement drinks that have been on store shelves for ages is the thing, and it's really not that big.

One of the funniest things is that a lot of goons have been like "maybe I should start drinking Soylent" or "I've been drinking Soylent for a while", and then when someone points out that Ensure exists, they're like "oh thanks I didn't know that existed, I'll just buy that". It makes you wonder how many other Soylent-triers or users are in the same situation, they'd never even checked if there was something in every CVS and Walgreens to go get instead.

Yeah, one soylent guzzler even said it was cheaper, but at the time buying ensure by the case from amazon was cheaper per serving than soylent. So even if you never wanted to leave your house and just have monthly supplies of nutrition slurry delivered to you, soylent was not the best option. lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Facebook Aunt posted:

Want to shake like you've got a spastic disorder disorder? Really committed to your Michael J. Fox cosplay? These guys have got you covered.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/bionicgym-proven-cardio-training-breakthrough-sport-fitness/#/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CuCqAE85Rgk&t=40s

Something something belly fires.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Ensure was nice to have when I had my wisdom teeth removed but I wouldn't buy it as an everyday thing.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.
See this thing is a lot like a taser so just get one of those and use it for twenty minutes a day and you'll be buff in no time.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

In Cubiio news, Kickstarter is making them remove all mentions of the basic version that comes without a safety shield, so you have to get it with a shield now! But then they explicitly say you can disable the interlock system and use it without a shield, which entirely defeats the purpose of having it.

Edit: I should note that I don't mean you can disable the shield check with some hardware tweaks. I mean it's an option in the app to disable it.

senrath has a new favorite as of 07:17 on Sep 6, 2017

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Reading the OSHA thread has convinced me that literally everything needs 13 redundant hardware interlocks, and even that's not gonna stop a dedicated idiot.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Volcott posted:

Reading the OSHA thread has convinced me that literally everything needs 13 redundant hardware interlocks, and even that's not gonna stop a dedicated idiot.

The point is to make it perfectly clear that the dedicated idiot has put considerable effort and thought into disabling the safeties and that therefore his resultant maiming is not your (the designer's) fault. IE it's not an accident, it's something he chose to do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, one soylent guzzler even said it was cheaper, but at the time buying ensure by the case from amazon was cheaper per serving than soylent. So even if you never wanted to leave your house and just have monthly supplies of nutrition slurry delivered to you, soylent was not the best option. lol

Also soylent tends to be rotten and/or full of mercury.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
Who wants some point'n'click monkeycheese???

nerd plus rage
May 12, 2014

It's a metaphor for something, probably

I don't like this Binding of Isaac mod

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

A 17-year old has somehow designed a better smartphone than Google and Apple, guys!

Its a PASSION project! He's going to start University for Industrial Design in a few weeks!

He only needs 250,000 so he can make this amazing phone!

FIGHT THE POWER. RUN WITH THE LITTLE GUY ect. ect.

Oh wait. Its just a crappy android phone they bought from AliExpress.

:canada:

Snuffman has a new favorite as of 19:59 on Sep 6, 2017

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

"At one point, ‘frank’ phone tweeted it was ready to launch on Kickstarter, but later said it switched to Indiegogo, because “We made the shift when we were offered a better promotions package with Indiegogo and thought it was worthwhile to get the help,” said ‘frank’ co-founder Fahd Alhattab."

Of course.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

gschmidl posted:

"At one point, ‘frank’ phone tweeted it was ready to launch on Kickstarter, but later said it switched to Indiegogo, because “We made the shift when we were offered a better promotions package with Indiegogo and thought it was worthwhile to get the help,” said ‘frank’ co-founder Fahd Alhattab."

Of course.

Surprisingly enough, the project is actually on fixed funding.
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/frank-just-another-f-king-phone-android-smartphone#/

Their crew profile section is all characters generated in that Facebook Make-Your-Own-Comic thing, and some of the perks are bumper stickers that say "Holy poo poo" and "#fuckthebigguys". What a cool campaign.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

SpacePig posted:

Their crew profile section is all characters generated in that Facebook Make-Your-Own-Comic thing, and some of the perks are bumper stickers that say "Holy poo poo" and "#fuckthebigguys". What a cool campaign.

This kind of hip marketing appeals to the anti-authoritarian youth of the 1990s.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

I am the subliminal message that says 'charlatan'.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Oh, only the first 100 are $180, after that they are $219 USD. Seems like you're getting really close to a phone with those specs from Motorola or Asus at that price, especially if you're willing to wait and get it on sale Black Friday or Boxing Day or something. Not a great phone, but one from a real company that probably won't be out of business in 6 months and has an actual warranty and stuff.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

:thunk:

edit: beaten

CollegeCop
Jul 11, 2005

You're right. I'm not a real cop. Those are imaginary handcuffs. And in a minute, we'll be going to the make-believe jail.

PathAsc posted:

I want a sweet wicked laser, but gently caress I can't get one. World is a gently caress.

Content:

Jesus gently caress could you be more terrible

Yeah, I already have one of these, at a third of the "Early Bird" cost: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087SPTLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

CollegeCop posted:

Yeah, I already have one of these, at a third of the "Early Bird" cost: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087SPTLC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Uh, is this one sustainably sourced and made of wood? Because that's the only way I can finish...
... My coffee.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Snuffman posted:

A 17-year old has somehow designed a better smartphone than Google and Apple, guys!

Its a PASSION project! He's going to start University for Industrial Design in a few weeks!

He only needs 250,000 so he can make this amazing phone!

FIGHT THE POWER. RUN WITH THE LITTLE GUY ect. ect.

Oh wait. Its just a crappy android phone they bought from AliExpress.

:canada:

Pretty sure apple or google could charge $180 if they didn't want to worry about, oh I don't know, R&D, Marketing, Overhead, you know that sort of minuscule thing.

e: didn't see the Aliexpress. loving lol

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'd be pretty surprised if the iPhone 7 has a BOM under $200, but I haven't looked into it.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Project Update #11: Confederate Express by Maksym Pashanin

quote:

A Personal message to our backers
Posted by Maksym Pashanin (Creator)

Dear friends! We are here to make amends.

We have made many mistakes, and not communicating with you guys was the biggest one. A total dick move! What were we thinking?? Overwhelmed and frustrated, our poor judgement got the best of us.

You must know that we kept a kindling fire of our project going. This entire time we were putting the game together - albeit slowly, but steadily - constantly learning and improving during the process. The game is very close to being finished, and we are working extra hard to deliver the best we can. There is an early build available for you to check out - it's located at kilobite.itch.io/conex - and you should have a personal free key sent to you by itch.io this week. Please take a look and let us know what you think! And everyone is welcome to chime in at our special backer forum kilobite.itch.io/conex/community

We understand that this might come as too late for some of you... but all we ask is if you could find it in your heart to forgive us. We are eternally grateful for your support!

Dennis & Max
:lol:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

BattleMaster posted:

:thunk:

edit: beaten

My university student paper! Unexpected sight in this thread.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Over There posted:

Pretty sure apple or google could charge $180 if they didn't want to worry about, oh I don't know, R&D, Marketing, Overhead, you know that sort of minuscule thing.

e: didn't see the Aliexpress. loving lol

It isn't actually a $180 phone, that's just the promotional price for the first 100 orders to drum up buzz.

http://pocketnow.com/2017/09/05/frank-launches-on-indiegogo-with-spec-and-perk-details

quote:

The early bird price for the phone, a set of earbuds, a power adapter, a case and a screen protector is just US$180 plus shipping. As of press time, 30 of 100 slots were claimed. After that, a second tier of 1,000 slots will open up at $219. The main pricing tier for Indiegogo will be at $233, though, for some reason, only 750 slots will be open. Full retail price is expected to land at $279.

An unlocked Moto G Plus with similar specs is $299. https://www.amazon.com/Moto-Plus-5th-Generation-Lockscreen/dp/B01MR2ZFBI

So the Frank isn't a bad price, but it's not an OMGWTF price for what they are offering.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The issue really isn't the price though.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tooterfish posted:

The issue really isn't the price though.

The price is the only reason anyone cares. If he was trying to disrupt the cell phone market with a $600 phone no one would care.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

They're not trying to disrupt the cellphone market at all, they're trying to hoodwink 250 grand out of gullible morons.

People care because it's a rebranded OEM product being marketed extremely deceptively, not because it's cheap.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

tooterfish posted:

They're not trying to disrupt the cellphone market at all, they're trying to hoodwink 250 grand out of gullible morons.

People care because it's a rebranded OEM product being marketed extremely deceptively, not because it's cheap.

Oh yeah. The teenager didn't design a cellphone, he designed a marketing campaign.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Project Update #11: Confederate Express by Maksym Pashanin

:lol:

Kickstarter 2: The search for more money

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

they didn't list Quest For Glory or Sam and Max as one of the adventure games they played as kids? No Sale.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They just don't care about John Muir.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Manuel Calavera posted:

They just don't care about John Muir.

Say, Manny, just who is John Muir?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

nerd plus rage posted:

I don't like this Binding of Isaac mod

It looks like the new Kingdom of Loathing RPG adventure game only crappier.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Cyanide and Happiness is basically The Oatmeal for people who think they're too smart for The Oatmeal.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Guy Mann posted:

Cyanide and Happiness is basically The Oatmeal for people who think they're too smart for The Oatmeal.

I would say "too cool / too edgy" for the oatmeal but same difference.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The people who brought you Pebble have a new product.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

gschmidl posted:

Does it even charge them? The point of keeping them in the airpod case is that it charges them when you aren't using them.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Over There posted:

Does it even charge them? The point of keeping them in the airpod case is that it charges them when you aren't using them.

It does.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gschmidl posted:

I guess that could be handy for some people but it doesn't make air pods any less of an awful thing to force on people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Cool! still looks ugly as hell