Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

C. Everett Koop posted:

I know that's the end result if we do nothing and continue down the current path. Like I said, White Privilege is the tumor in the brain; taking it out may immediately kill the patient but doing nothing will eventually kill the patient (and yes I know everyone dies don't give me that pedantic poo poo). In a perfect vacuum world we would do nothing and love would conquer all and we'd all make mixed babies and everyone would look like The Rock and Bey and none of this poo poo would exist. But that might, might, only happen when my grandkids have grandkids at best. It's more likely they'd be rounded up and put in chains or a mass grave if we do nothing.

This is really a misuse of the concept of privilege. Having privilege isn't a flaw, literally everyone has privilege of some type. The point is to be aware of it so you can act with humility, mindfulness, and empathy. Like, the whole idea behind privilege is that it isn't asked for and cannot be relinquished, only redirected to empower others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Dmitri-9 posted:

Afro-pessimists like Coates can go to hell.

Why?

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Ardennes posted:

I do think there are people who voted for Trump beyond issues of race, even if it was all over his campaign. There was an economic plank to his campaign and while you can say he ultimately tricked people with it, doesn't mean it didn't exist.

Also, there is the issue that he was able to get a major swing in working class voters compared to Romney, and was able to do better than Romney among non-white voters (despite everything). I don't think racism on its own explains this.
Even if you voted for Trump "purely" for the economic plank, that means you ignored the blatant and unmistakable racism. I'm sure there are some people stupid enough that they really truly did miss it, but not in significant numbers. The rest of them ignored it because they thought they'd be better off in spite of it. That's pretty damning.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Well for one thing, Coates doesn't think price gouging during a natural disaster is wonderful and the poor need to hurry up and die in hurricanes already so there's more supplies for rich people.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Mechafunkzilla posted:

This is really a misuse of the concept of privilege. Having privilege isn't a flaw, literally everyone has privilege of some type. The point is to be aware of it so you can act with humility, mindfulness, and empathy. Like, the whole idea behind privilege is that it isn't asked for and cannot be relinquished, only redirected to empower others.

I'm probably softening my argument by calling it White Privilege instead of White Supremacy, tbh. But Coates whole article is that racism is ingrained in America at a foundational level. Even the slightest push towards actual true equality has caused a severe backlash. When that occurs, there's no possible chance at solving the problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Pretty much everyone started using 'White Privilege' synonymously with 'Original Sin' the moment it escaped containment from social studies.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

Inescapable Duck posted:

Pretty much everyone started using 'White Privilege' synonymously with 'Original Sin' the moment it escaped containment from social studies.

No, I don't think so.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Inescapable Duck posted:

The pervasive idea that unexamined privilege is a moral failure rather than a failure of education and experience has caused a lot of the discourse to break down.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!

Ardennes posted:

Uh ......I deny the main thrust of the article? Whiteness doesn't explain everything going on. You don't have to be a Trump voter to see he was able to recruit substantial appeal due to his anti-trade/globalization stance. In the end, he has deceived those people. The problem is how do you actually move left enough in a way to get those people on your side. UHS is a step in a good direction, but I think there is a broader issue of wages and trade that is still largely unanswered (including by a GMI). TNC if anything uses a standard argument I have seen from many centrists, just in a more intelligent and well-written manner (most of the time it is hidden under a bunch of other garbage).

I do have a feeling TNC doesn't want to admit there is any possibility to change because then he very well not be that left-wing economically or has excluded economics in exchange for race to such an extent there is no realistic way to ever achieve what he wants. If you keep the "pressure-cooker" on there very well may not be a way to move anywhere forward on race because you are breeding so much hatred otherwise.

I don't think the main thrust conflicts at all with what I bolded in your post.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The pervasive idea that unexamined privilege is a moral failure rather than a failure of education and experience has caused a lot of the discourse to break down.

Not to mention the whole idea of wealth somehow falling out of the discourse, resulting in the people most touting 'check your privilege' in the same tones as 'repent, sinner!' having tons of unexamined privilege themselves. Possibly why you don't hear it very much any more.

The centrist denial of wealth disparity has gone from merely a result of academic negligence and poor education to increasingly shrill and desperate denialism and projection that any oxygen given to economic justice must be taken away from social justice. And increasingly strong indications that the people who make the biggest deal about that don't actually care about either and just want to look good without giving up a shred of their own privilege.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i like that bernie is ignoring hillary's jabs and whining about how she was wronged during the election and is instead focusing on helping people :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/905964224907812874

bernie's great!

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Too bad he’s not running in 2020

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Anyway seeing the usual suspects poo poo on TNC over the past couple days is kinda hilarious.
True to leftist stereotypes about “I’m colorblind and we need to focus on economic matters” white racial privilege

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

Anyway seeing the usual suspects poo poo on TNC over the past couple days is kinda hilarious.
True to leftist stereotypes about “I’m colorblind and we need to focus on economic matters” white racial privilege

first of all, as if a trump voter (oh, and an actual white supremacist if koalas march is to be trusted, and i do trust her) like you cares one whit about PoC

second, TNC has been being discusseed for a day at most

so in short, go troll somewhere else shrike

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Like I said, Bernie in the primaries and Trump in the general for 2020.

I can’t imagine spending the next 4 years whining about the centrists and then having to vote for Harris or Booker.

And didn’t you literally emigrate last year to France because of the election? I’m surprised you feel attached to American politics.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

Like I said, Bernie in the primaries and Trump in the general for 2020.

I can’t imagine spending the next 4 years whining about the centrists and then having to vote for Harris or Booker.

And didn’t you literally emigrate last year to France because of the election? I’m surprised you feel attached to American politics.

you don't have to vote for a fascist piss clown just cause you don't want to vote for harris or booker

and no, i emigrated 4 years ago

go away troll

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

shrike82 posted:

Too bad he’s not running in 2020

If Hillary runs again, I could see Bernie going another round, if only to remind people that bending over to Goldman Sachs shouldn't be party policy.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

He’s a good man but running at 80 isn’t a good look.
I’m surprised he isn’t trying to transfer the groundswell under him to a younger progressive.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Warren doesn't want to run though.

(She'd probably accept VP if asked)

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

As meta-commentary, this thread is kinda funny because it just follows D&D’s pattern of being leftist during non-election periods and then swinging hard behind the Dem candidate during election year.

I didn’t think about it in 2012 but it was pretty funny how last year, the forum changed its tenor about leftism and just shat down on anyone even doing the least bit of nay-saying about Abuela (“show me the map!”).

I can’t wait to see the same thing happen in 2020 with people defending Booker’s Wall Street ties or Harris’ prison money.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

As meta-commentary, this thread is kinda funny because it just follows D&D’s pattern of being leftist during non-election periods and then swinging hard behind the Dem candidate during election year.

I didn’t think about it in 2012 but it was pretty funny how last year, the forum changed its tenor about leftism and just shat down on anyone even doing the least bit of nay-saying about Abuela (“show me the map!”).

I can’t wait to see the same thing happen in 2020 with people defending Booker’s Wall Street ties or Harris’ prison money.

this thread didn't exist until after the election, so i dunno what the gently caress you're talking about

its predecessor also didn't exist until after the election

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

That’s my point if you actually read what I wrote

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

That’s my point if you actually read what I wrote

why would i waste time reading much of anything you write shrike? 90% of the time you are trolling

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Maybe take a chill pill and stop saying “I’m not mad” while posting at me?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

shrike82 posted:

Maybe take a chill pill and stop saying “I’m not mad” while posting at me?

maybe stop making pointless troll posts 24/7? pretending i fled the country cause of trump? pretending you give a poo poo about anyone else after voting for trump and saying you're gonna do the same in 2020? how about that?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Hi, I decided to watch football and I celebrated the Pats losing for awhile. Anyway, Coates is good and the people who think otherwise suck.
K goodnight
P. S if you think racism will be fixed by pure economics, you are dumb.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Peachfart posted:

Hi, I decided to watch football and I celebrated the Pats losing for awhile. Anyway, Coates is good and the people who think otherwise suck.
K goodnight
P. S if you think racism will be fixed by pure economics, you are dumb.

yeah, anyone who thinks racial issues are solved entirely by economics is dumb. but the opposite is also true. you need a joint effort of social justice and economic justice to achieve actual justice

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Condiv posted:

yeah, anyone who thinks racial issues are solved entirely by economics is dumb. but the opposite is also true. you need a joint effort of social justice and economic justice to achieve actual justice

Agreed. Rock on Condiv.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Futuresight posted:

I don't think the main thrust conflicts at all with what I bolded in your post.

Eh, I think he neglected the economic angle pretty hard in all honesty. A history of whiteness and if anything white supremacism in the US has a lot to explain of what is happening, it just isn't the only piece of the puzzle. Trump was successful because he gas lit enough of the white working class to vote for him by making it seem it was going to do "something." I do think plenty of those people ignored the issue of race or even embraced some of his points, but at the same time were also influenced by his ever-changing economic campaign.

The way of undermining him and white supremacism (which needs to be the first target), is to completely undermine the narrative he built. Granted, Trump has done much of the work himself, but the door needs to be shut on him and his hard-core followers. You don't need to win all of them (and probably can't), but maybe some of the softer followers (some who currently disapprove of Trump) may be a target.

Also, I think arguing that white people shouldn't talk about MLK in any context is if anything completely weakening and undermining his message. People (including and maybe especially white people) softening or re-writing his message needs to be stopped but if you suddenly make MLK "off limits" regardless of context... you are doing a disservice to literally everyone.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Condiv posted:

i like that bernie is ignoring hillary's jabs and whining about how she was wronged during the election and is instead focusing on helping people :unsmith:

https://twitter.com/colbertlateshow/status/905964224907812874

bernie's great!

I'm late to this verrit thing but reading Peter Daou's twitter feed is like looking into an alternate dimension. It's all people complaining that Bernie obviously cost Hillary her win because he called her crooked, he is the real one dividing the party with his constant complaining about Clinton post election and didn't support her enough after the primary, leftists are the ones that can't get over the primary and keep rehashing it unlike them, Clinton critics are all either Russian bots or conservative, sexist racist Bernie bros, and that non-leftist Democrats have absolutely no voice in the party anymore. These people are so detached from reality it's a little scary and frankly they aren't that different from hardcore Trump people in terms of cultlike mentality. I wouldn't be surprised if we have another Hillary is 44 situation where a chunk of her supporters are so bitter that they go hard right and back the Republican in the next round when she is no longer the nominee.

I'm glad Bernie's response to all this is to basically "this isn't worth my time there's more important things going on" since Clinton and her camp are pretty clearly willing to publicly burn ever bridge they can if it absolves them of any responsibility. The Clintons are absolutely toxic to politics both within and outside the Democratic party and need to be severed. Was there any other candidate that went on this sort of six month long blaming tour after losing, it just feels unprecedented.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 8, 2017

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

https://twitter.com/MissEllieMae/status/906155281008164864

lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The upside of Hillary's ongoing meltdown is that it actually seems like the Democrat establishment is sick of her and cutting ties, especially if she burns more bridges with her book.

Between the parodic excerpts and apparently real ones she's entering the Tyson Zone.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ardennes posted:

Eh, I think he neglected the economic angle pretty hard in all honesty. A history of whiteness and if anything white supremacism in the US has a lot to explain of what is happening, it just isn't the only piece of the puzzle. Trump was successful because he gas lit enough of the white working class to vote for him by making it seem it was going to do "something." I do think plenty of those people ignored the issue of race or even embraced some of his points, but at the same time were also influenced by his ever-changing economic campaign.

The way of undermining him and white supremacism (which needs to be the first target), is to completely undermine the narrative he built. Granted, Trump has done much of the work himself, but the door needs to be shut on him and his hard-core followers. You don't need to win all of them (and probably can't), but maybe some of the softer followers (some who currently disapprove of Trump) may be a target.

Also, I think arguing that white people shouldn't talk about MLK in any context is if anything completely weakening and undermining his message. People (including and maybe especially white people) softening or re-writing his message needs to be stopped but if you suddenly make MLK "off limits" regardless of context... you are doing a disservice to literally everyone.

Your grasp of the level of influence white supremacy has had on the history of United States economics, a nation built by slaves on the corpses of Native Americans, where we fought a devastating civil war just to end slavery in only the most technical sense and continue to this day to use and abuse black people, is frankly insulting. Your willingness to downplay the incredible inequality of the New Deal for minorities is hilarious - what is "redlining," again? Posting MLK quotes like they're the end of an argument while absolving white people for electing an orange rodeo clown on the promise of "gently caress minorities" is asinine.

MLK wanted to lead a movement for the poor because if black people led, the white moderate couldn't ruin it as they had and continue to do so. Race and class are inextricably linked in American life and no plan to end capitalism is going to succeed so long as white supremacy stands - they are mutually beneficial structures that support each other. And frankly, TNC is probably right about us being doomed, because lol guys global warming is a thing and we are still trying to decide if it's cool for Mexican people to live here.

It might be possible to forge a future for leftist economics in America, but a leftist economics that denies the gravity of how much more exploited minorities have been than white people is morally and practically bankrupt.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah I'm hoping that's the case as well. I remember some articles about people saying that she wasn't pleasing anyone when she added some establishment DNCers to the list of people who failed her. I'm not sure what's to be gained by keeping her around even if you are the most pragmatic centrist alive. If you want to make the case she's the best fundraiser around, money clearly isn't buying US elections so it's not worth it.

Lightning Knight posted:

Your grasp of the level of influence white supremacy has had on the history of United States economics, a nation built by slaves on the corpses of Native Americans, where we fought a devastating civil war just to end slavery in only the most technical sense and continue to this day to use and abuse black people, is frankly insulting. Your willingness to downplay the incredible inequality of the New Deal for minorities is hilarious - what is "redlining," again? Posting MLK quotes like they're the end of an argument while absolving white people for electing an orange rodeo clown on the promise of "gently caress minorities" is asinine.

MLK wanted to lead a movement for the poor because if black people led, the white moderate couldn't ruin it as they had and continue to do so. Race and class are inextricably linked in American life and no plan to end capitalism is going to succeed so long as white supremacy stands - they are mutually beneficial structures that support each other. And frankly, TNC is probably right about us being doomed, because lol guys global warming is a thing and we are still trying to decide if it's cool for Mexican people to live here.

It might be possible to forge a future for leftist economics in America, but a leftist economics that denies the gravity of how much more exploited minorities have been than white people is morally and practically bankrupt.

Yeah this exactly.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 8, 2017

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Ardennes posted:

I do think plenty of those people ignored the issue of race or even embraced some of his points, but at the same time were also influenced by his ever-changing economic campaign.
This is important and Coates talked about it:

quote:

Interviewer: You don't buy the argument that Donald Trump's election was about the white working class in America feeling marginalized from a globalized workforce, from a globalized economy that had left them behind — and that that's what was animating that demographic.

Coates: Well, you know, it's certainly true that the white working class feels that way. But anybody who wants to make a class-based argument must explain why the black working class, the Latino working class, didn't break the same way. They are just as afflicted by forces of globalization and economic change, deindustrialization, et cetera. And yet they didn't break to Trump.
[...]
Interviewer: Some people look at those sectors that you just talked about and say, "Well, they weren't motivated by race in this" or "They were OK electing and supporting a presidential candidate, whom many believe was propagating racist policies." Weren't they just voting on their interests, which do not include race relations in this country?

Coates: Yeah. I would definitely agree with that. And I would argue, I think there's something behind even saying that "race relations" aren't their interest. I think that's a statement itself. Race relations are interested in them, whether they're interested in it or not.
Like it's not some mystery why white people broke for Trump, people are super racist, and white people particularly are privileged to ignore racism even if they don't normally approve of racism. What to do about that is of course missing, so we should continue to focus on economic issues where we do have in hand viable solutions.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I still don't really understand what Verrit even is but this twitter exchange is one of the funniest things ever

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/905625148128206852

https://twitter.com/peterdaou/status/905626923858100224

Hoooooly poo poo

Edit: lololool

https://twitter.com/jonrosenberg/status/905629446354423810

lmao

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The best is that in Daou's less obviously idiotic tweets he has a bunch of dummies telling him how awesome he is. He also retweeted his wife saying how right he is.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

Race and class are inextricably linked in American life and no plan to end capitalism is going to succeed so long as white supremacy stands - they are mutually beneficial structures that support each other.

And white supremacy ends when white workers stand in solidarity with their class, rather than their race. The obvious way forward is class struggle and class consciousness. Do you have a different idea?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities
Hillary: I UNDERSTAND THE COMEDY! HOW DO YOU DO, FELLOW KIDS? BLEEP BLOOP!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jizz Festival posted:

And white supremacy ends when white workers stand in solidarity with their class, rather than their race. The obvious way forward is class struggle and class consciousness. Do you have a different idea?

Not in particular, but white workers choosing race over class is a historical problem that also doesn't have a clear remedy.

My only issue with this particular brand of ideology is that I think solidarity has to be a two way street. Demanding that minorities sign up for the class war and then blowing off their problems with regards to white supremacy and patriarchy is bullshit.

• Locked thread