Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

doingitwrong posted:

Can I get some more context for these? It looks like,you can just get killed while walking around mid mission? Having random instadeath from nowhere seems unfun as heck.

Mobs don't appear from thin air. this race in particular are dropped in scene from the sky in a ball. This unfortunate players have the unluck to be in the wrong place in the wrong moment. Its very rare.

You are correct this is not fun for the victim. But this is a coop game, their two friends were probably laughing at him and "having a good time" [tm].

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

doingitwrong posted:

Can I get some more context for these? It looks like,you can just get killed while walking around mid mission? Having random instadeath from nowhere seems unfun as heck.

They are clearly telegraphed, loud attack squads that are going straight for you from a distance, you'd have to be senile, retarded and blind to miss those.

I think I died like three times to those

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Details on the first DLC appeared already on the Microsoft store.

Title
Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris

Story
Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris continues your Guardian’s journey with all-new story missions and adventures set in a new destination, Mercury. Journey through time and space to learn the secrets of Osiris, avert a day ark future, and rebuild the ties between the legendary Warlock and his greatest student - Ikora Rey.

Features
- Explore Mercury and its mysterious "Infinite Forest"
- New story missions and adventures
- New themed weapons, armor, and gear to earn
- New cooperative activities
- New competitive multiplayer arenas

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

limaCAT posted:

Title

Story
Destiny 2 Expansion I: Curse of Osiris continues your Guardian’s journey with all-new story missions and adventures set in a new destination, Mercury. Journey through time and space to learn the secrets of Osiris, avert a day ark future, and rebuild the ties between the legendary Warlock and his greatest student - Ikora Rey.

Features

100% down with this :getin:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

limaCAT posted:

Title

Story

Features

Oh hey, on the first mission on Nessus you can find a little yellow conflux that Dinklebot tells you says something about endless...tress? Or maybe "forest".

I'm glad that it's going to do more weird stuff because I was talking with other people playing and it feels like they tried to put things more down to Earth in D2 and it's a little more boring for it. The actual gameplay outcome of the Taken isn't great but Oryx and his weird-rear end space magic and 'sword logic' was cool, as was going through time and space to punch a robot in the balls while using a dead guy as Captain America's Shield or killing a guy, killing his soul, then killing his soul's soul (which is a planet inside the soul dimension of screaming monsters). The Cabal are just space marines/XCOM Mutons and the funnest thing about them, that they're stuck in Space Vietnam and the grunts want to go home but Space Nixon won't let them, largely has gotten lost because of the Red Legion.

I think D2's biggest failing so far is they're basically doing a reset on everything on Destiny 1.

e: Also it sucks not being able to replay whatever mission whenever.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 8, 2017

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

DON'T LOOK AT THE BIRD!

Quantum Cat
May 6, 2007
Why am I in a BOX?WFT?!

strangemusic posted:

Is it me or is Devour completely, utterly broken?

Once you pop it, you either drain grenade energy and immediately restore your health, or melee an enemy and immediately restore your health. From there on out it's a 9-second persistent timer during which anything else you kill in any fashion restores your health. Oh, and the timer resets on kill.

In a PvE situation it's hard NOT to kill something on the order of once every nine seconds once major engagements start.

Yes it is, now stop talking about it before they get any ideas and nerf it!

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
https://twitter.com/TG_Chrono/status/906141431915470848

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm a little mixed on how the Cabal kind of fade into the background the further I get, but I'd probably complain if there was no variety...

The enemies themselves are a lot more fun to fight with their updated movesets, blowing up a flamethrower Cabal to take out a nearby guy with a shield is great.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Are there guaranteed ways to spot those chests for the challenges? I am probably missing something as I just wander into camps of mobs and hope one is laying around. :(

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Vintersorg posted:

Are there guaranteed ways to spot those chests for the challenges? I am probably missing something as I just wander into camps of mobs and hope one is laying around. :(

There are ghosts that can detect them if you're not s rad hunter with keen scout like me.

MikeTheCoolOne
Jul 18, 2006

Drinking heavily the night before.

:parrot:

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tei posted:

I like how verbose is Goaul. We understand his motivations and even share the sentiment.

I can't take any if the Cabal seriously. They look, sound, and have the same goofy motivations as Chaos Space Marines.

If you dropped Red Legion wholesale into Warhammer 40k without changing a thing no one would notice.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I'm INCREDIBLY bad at shooters but so far this is fun

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Vintersorg posted:

Cayde-6 will sell items that make nearby chests appear on your HUD for 4 hours. I popped one during the last run of story quests and it led me to several chests I would have missed. I grabbed a few for each location for when I go back and do the adventures.

grissenko
Jan 18, 2006

Oh he's so pringles. Where yo curleh mustache at?!
Fun Shoe

Thundercracker posted:

I can't take any if the Cabal seriously. They look, sound, and have the same goofy motivations as Chaos Space Marines.

If you dropped Red Legion wholesale into Warhammer 40k without changing a thing no one would notice.

There are a ton of WH40K things all over this game. Check out Sloane's dozen or so purity seals on her pauldron the next time you are on Titan.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

LawfulWaffle posted:

Cayde-6 will sell items that make nearby chests appear on your HUD for 4 hours. I popped one during the last run of story quests and it led me to several chests I would have missed. I grabbed a few for each location for when I go back and do the adventures.

Cool, gonna get some of those - I am swimming in glimmer and well, not much to spend it on. And as someone mentioned above with the ghosts, I have 1 for Io which will help there. :)

Gah, another day of work but the weekend is here - this game has sunk it's claws in me and I cannot wait to get back in the game and explore some more.

Monolith.
Jan 28, 2011

To save the world from the expanding Zone.
Is there a way to check your milestones?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Monolith. posted:

Is there a way to check your milestones?

Hold L2 on the map. This will only show stuff you started and made some progress on, it won't show unlocked quests you haven't touched yet.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah. The Cabal are super-lame. I would literally like any other alien type besides what we got with them.

I mean, the Vex are time-hopping semi-organic hive-minded robots who turn planets into computers.
The Hive are space-crustaceans who wield black magic and worship death.
The Fallen...well, they're pretty lame too.

But the Cabal are the worst.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I only like fighting the Vex and Fallen. Cabal are boring to fight and the Hive just annoy me when 50 million thralls run up in my loving face.

Also, I am so scared of PVP those milestones will just sit there... :( or is it ok if you lose? Do they still complete? I am so loving bad at pvp.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cabal are indeed garbage, but they're the only enemy that hasn't had any major attention yet so it was inevitable.

It will be nice to be able to go for a while without wearing lovely hive bone armor though.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh hey, on the first mission on Nessus you can find a little yellow conflux that Dinklebot tells you says something about endless...tress? Or maybe "forest".

I'm glad that it's going to do more weird stuff because I was talking with other people playing and it feels like they tried to put things more down to Earth in D2 and it's a little more boring for it. The actual gameplay outcome of the Taken isn't great but Oryx and his weird-rear end space magic and 'sword logic' was cool, as was going through time and space to punch a robot in the balls while using a dead guy as Captain America's Shield or killing a guy, killing his soul, then killing his soul's soul (which is a planet inside the soul dimension of screaming monsters). The Cabal are just space marines/XCOM Mutons and the funnest thing about them, that they're stuck in Space Vietnam and the grunts want to go home but Space Nixon won't let them, largely has gotten lost because of the Red Legion.

I think D2's biggest failing so far is they're basically doing a reset on everything on Destiny 1.

e: Also it sucks not being able to replay whatever mission whenever.

The cabal's appearance so far has been pretty bland compared to the craziness of Vex/Hive stuff in D1, but we haven't gotten to Calus and the world-eating leviathan palace, let alone the weird revolutionary/counter-revolutionary aspects of whatever is gonna come of the stuff in the diary thing from the collector's edition materials.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I'll admit it, I actually miss the Grimoire. I just don't see how they can something like The Book of Sorrows and have it be as memorable with in-game dialogue. Maybe if there's enough demand they'll add an in-game codex to serve that purpose?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Vintersorg posted:

I only like fighting the Vex and Fallen. Cabal are boring to fight and the Hive just annoy me when 50 million thralls run up in my loving face.

Also, I am so scared of PVP those milestones will just sit there... :( or is it ok if you lose? Do they still complete? I am so loving bad at pvp.

When it uses the specific word "complete", you don't have to win.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I'm part of the ADD crowd that wants less in-game story, because I get bored listening to a bunch of disinterested voice actors slowly recite the lines handed to them. The flow of the dialogue is about as smooth as watching youtube on a 56k.

None of the characters can just talk, they try to make each line sound like it's the last thing they'll ever say.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
So I played a little pvp last night

Joined 3 matches in progress. Took forever to find matches.

Did they just carry over SBMM from D1? Fuckng balls

Fedelm
Apr 21, 2013

It's called Ursa Major, not Ursula Merger. And that's not even it. That's Orion.

Kilometers Davis posted:

Getting Stormcaller and hitting 20 simultaneously while also hearing all the hurricane lore bits when I'm about 2 days from being in the direct path of Irma is very surreal. It definitely added impact to that subclass quest in an unusually poignant way. This game's release was what pulled me out of my awful hurricane anxiety. It's funny how things come together sometimes.

I see the subclass quests as meditation, and I love how it helped you deal with your IRL situation. Stay safe.

xzzy posted:

None of the characters can just talk, they try to make each line sound like it's the last thing they'll ever say.

I think this is because they became painfully aware of their mortality after having lost everything. Their home, their light, etc.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

limaCAT posted:

Title

Story

Features

Oh shittttt does this mean they're going to implement Neph Rifts on Mercury?

Holy poo poo please do something like Neph Rifts ungghhh

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fedelm posted:

I think this is because they became painfully aware of their mortality after having lost everything. Their home, their light, etc.

That doesn't mean every single word has to come out "THIS IS SPARTA!!!" style. You gotta have some ups and downs in there.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Vintersorg posted:

Now is the best time to do PvP, while everyone is still figuring out the meta and the game is full of new players. It's only gonna get worse, so might as well start now.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Waffle House posted:

Oh shittttt does this mean they're going to implement Neph Rifts on Mercury?

Holy poo poo please do something like Neph Rifts ungghhh

Yeah I hope they do whatever those are too

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So like why is my character mute now after being voiced in 1
Like there's a really silly take early on where Ghost says something that should definitely have been said by you based on the fact that your character even moves their head and arms like they were talking

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Calaveron posted:

No it wasn't.

Elmon
Aug 20, 2013

Oldstench posted:

The Fallen...well, they're pretty lame too.

Not really sure why we are fighting them/they fighting us. Vex definitely best.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Cabal were always my favorite enemies so the D2 plot is 100% my jam.

Fedelm posted:

I see the subclass quests as meditation, and I love how it helped you deal with your IRL situation. Stay safe.

They really are. It's a cool way to reflect on the class lore. The super spam at the end is so satisfying.

Thanks! I was seriously feeling awful about everything. The looming fear of a giant storm coming right for you isn't something my dumb nervous brain can shake easily but this game was exactly what I needed. I'm not even that worried now, just prepared. Distractions and refocusing energy are great things.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

No it wasn't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pDuo4XgSk0&t=158s
Look how wrong you are.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Calaveron posted:

Like there's a really silly take early on where Ghost says something that should definitely have been said by you based on the fact that your character even moves their head and arms like they were talking

Plot twist: you are actually the ghost and the guardian is just your mindless murder zombie.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Elmon posted:

Not really sure why we are fighting them/they fighting us. Vex definitely best.

They're pissy their bae the traveler is with us now

And the cabal were due for representation but they're just halo enemies and that's boring and overdone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

lmao i forgot about that single line