Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

On that note, for the next primal fight at least try to run it with a normal party. It has one of the best music + phase transitions in the game and if you stomp it with a level 70 buddy it'll be over faster than you can appreciate it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Do everything at min ilvl. Never unsync.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

On which difficulty? On hard if you get tethered one of the people in the tether needs to pick up three of them.

On extreme tanks need them to not die.

On extreme unsync you don't pick them up on purpose so you can blackest night into sick slams and jams.

Do tanks still need to pick up orbs on hard? I only tanked that fight once and I recall people yelling at me about orbs but nothing more specific than that

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do tanks still need to pick up orbs on hard? I only tanked that fight once and I recall people yelling at me about orbs but nothing more specific than that

Leave the orbs in place on hard. You'll need three of them to break tethers but orbs only drop two at a time so it's a huge pain if there aren't a bunch left over when you enter that phase.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Thundarr posted:

You can fish up a sea monster and then build an aquarium for your house and put the sea monster inside*. Or you can fish up an adorable turtle or chocobo or goldfish bucket to follow you around. Or stab fish with a spear and turn them into sand that you sell to crafters for a profit. Or hang out with an assassin who fishes as a hobby between jobs.

*(Only certain sea monsters may apply, Nepto Dragon is right out until they make an outdoor aquarium sized to fit a whale)

When I started fishing in SWG I knew I was... hooked. Since then if a game has fishing I know I'm going to spend way too much time on it. WoW has been the worst fishing enabler.

technolizard
May 19, 2013

Dick Trauma posted:

Since then if a game has fishing I know I'm going to spend way too much time on it.

Same. I'm the kind of person who collects everything (yes it's me, I'm the one who has actually finished my Pokedex in every game). My Fisher level is my highest one so far, has been my highest level for a long, long time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dick Trauma posted:

When I started fishing in SWG I knew I was... hooked. Since then if a game has fishing I know I'm going to spend way too much time on it. WoW has been the worst fishing enabler.

Yes..yesss...welcome.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

Not only is there fishing, there's fishing while wearing cool fishing hats

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Slenderpals East is looking for a full time Bard or Scholar for Savage raiding! We logged our very first clear of O3S tonight, but are losing our Bard to the dreaded Real Life Circumstances. We're a bunch of midcores at heart that raid twice a week, Mon/Thu 8:30-11:00 EST. If you'd like to get in on dat raiding business, message me here on the forums, through the goon Discord as Fiaryn, or in game as Fiaryn Kilif. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

a kitten posted:

Not only is there fishing, there's fishing while wearing cool fishing hats

Did you censor your name in the tell but not the party list????

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride

The pain has finally ended.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Filthy Haiku posted:

The pain has finally ended.

Not until that image pans over to show crafters and gatherers

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

yeah, you gotta show us your desynth levels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Thundarr posted:

(Only certain sea monsters may apply, Nepto Dragon is right out until they make an outdoor aquarium sized to fit a whale)

what they really need to do is make aquarium walls. like, room walls, except it's glass and you have a nepto dragon swimming about.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Well, I found out it's trivially easy to solo Urth's Fount as a 70 RDM. :allears: Shame he doesn't have a horse, but it's time to farm up some glamour items and get vindication for horrible, horrible duty finder parties I tried it with in the past. The only vaguely challenging part is Sanngetall, and that only hits for like 12k out of a 31+k HP pool.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

A. Beaverhausen posted:

So...I have to heal honestly? :ohdear:

AST kind of sucks at DPS. You will do less than the other healers by a fair margin, and you will really only ever have one dot, one single target nuke, and one AoE nuke. The reason for both the apparent simplicity and lower damage throughput is basically cards.

There are some intricacies about AST DPS at 70, but it's mostly based on how to get your mileage out of Earthly Star, and how much your card/buff oGCD abilities are delaying your malefic casts and if it's enough of a delay that the Lightspeed penalty is less.

And honestly, that last point is kind of why I think AST isn't as fun as the other healers. The AST card/buff game leads to a lot of oGCD abilities being used on top of one another. It's not terribly organised.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
whm and sch both have two dots and a nuke. sure their potencies are higher, but let's not pretend their rotations are substantially more interesting than ast's.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

White Mage has Assize, the best ability in the game, so it's definitely the best Healer to deeps on.

Love me some big Assize

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Love me some big Assize

Too bad yoship doesn't

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

I don't really understand the usage of the word "nuke" in regards to healer dps. It's usually used to refer to the basic filler spell, right? From what I understand, "nukes" in MMOs usually refer to very high damage abilities with a long cooldown/high cost. Or am I just using the spells wrong?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Zinkraptor posted:

I don't really understand the usage of the word "nuke" in regards to healer dps. It's usually used to refer to the basic filler spell, right? From what I understand, "nukes" in MMOs usually refer to very high damage abilities with a long cooldown/high cost. Or am I just using the spells wrong?

Nuking in MMOs from how I understand it just means "kill that thing by casting spells at it" and that's it.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Gravity looks cool and sounds cool and that's all that matters about the spell.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

installing.

rolling white mage so i can buy friends.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Did you censor your name in the tell but not the party list????

I didn't censor anything, what are you even saying?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

BrightWing posted:

Gravity looks cool and sounds cool and that's all that matters about the spell.

It's too bad it requires a target, making it inferior to God's own spells, Miasma 2 and Holy.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

After leveling an Arcanist to 7 I can see that the game is pretty much the same as when I tried it years ago, but I'm taking things much slower, reading all the quest text and that's helping. I still think the maps are awful, especially in showing transitions between city and surrounding countryside.

I expect it takes a while for the actual story to get going and that's fine. I can see myself getting into all the collecting and crafting but multiple classes... no. I still feel like an alt makes more sense for me if I want to play different classes. I can't imagine how you would even level another class if your first one has cleared all the quests in the area.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

After leveling an Arcanist to 7 I can see that the game is pretty much the same as when I tried it years ago, but I'm taking things much slower, reading all the quest text and that's helping. I still think the maps are awful, especially in showing transitions between city and surrounding countryside.

I expect it takes a while for the actual story to get going and that's fine. I can see myself getting into all the collecting and crafting but multiple classes... no. I still feel like an alt makes more sense for me if I want to play different classes. I can't imagine how you would even level another class if your first one has cleared all the quests in the area.

Quest XP is bad for any classes past your first because all non quest XP is doubled for a class not your highest.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

a kitten posted:

I didn't censor anything, what are you even saying?

in the gil-selling tell you got, there's a big gap that looks like a black bar due to the ocean behind it. I thought it was you censoring your name too until this post

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Dick Trauma posted:

I can't imagine how you would even level another class if your first one has cleared all the quests in the area.

If you're on a class lower than your highest you get a big bonus to EXP (+100% for 1-59, 50% for 60-70). Things like roulettes and Palace of the Dead slam EXP down your gullet. For the love of god do not alt.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Being able to play every class on one character is by far the best feature of this game and it has ruined every other MMO for me

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

Dick Trauma posted:

You say that, but you know what's way more miserable than leveling an alt class without main story quests? Leveling an alt class WITH main story quests. Trust me, you will not want to do MSQ stuff more than once, and this will only become more true when you get to higher levels.

You can level alt jobs up really fast using regular dungeons and this randomized dungeon thing called Palace of the Dead that you'll unlock at some point. You also get a substantial exp boost to any jobs that are lower level than your highest level job (I think 100% if the lower job is under 60, and 50% above that).

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

Shows I have alot to learn about this game. I'll stick with the Arcanist for now. I do have an old L10 character on Excalibur, a Thaumaturge? I can save him for possible goon shenanigans.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

World War Mammories posted:

in the gil-selling tell you got, there's a big gap that looks like a black bar due to the ocean behind it. I thought it was you censoring your name too until this post

Oooooh! Yeah I can see that.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Dick Trauma posted:

As someone who was just recently where you are, the first 20 levels or so are by far the roughest. Once you start getting attuned to the various atheryte beacons the map issue and traveling in general becomes much less of a pain since you can just teleport to and fro relatively quickly.

The minimap still fucks with me all the time though because the scale of the icons feels off at max zoom distance so it always feels like I'm over shooting a mark.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

To be fair, it is unfortunate that you can't feasibly level alt jobs through questing, but honestly the questing in FFXIV kind of sucks anyway, so really the game is saving you from yourself. Most of the appeal of the side quests comes from the story, so there's not much reason to want to do them more than once. Meanwhile, a lot of the instanced content is pretty engaging, so it works out (minus certain low level dungeons with very little going on).

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

To be fair, it is unfortunate that you can't feasibly level alt jobs through questing, but honestly the questing in FFXIV kind of sucks anyway, so really the game is saving you from yourself. Most of the appeal of the side quests comes from the story, so there's not much reason to want to do them more than once. Meanwhile, a lot of the instanced content is pretty engaging, so it works out (minus certain low level dungeons with very little going on).

And with the armory bonus you shoot through those lower level dungeons at a super quick rate.

I'm on my second job and still don't know my way around Sastasha or Haukke Manor, because I've only run them both maybe 3 times.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

Being able to play every class on one character is by far the best feature of this game and it has ruined every other MMO for me

Eh, other than having to buy character slots, alts in GW2 are essentially the same thing with all the shared storage (banks, crafting, weapon and armor skins) and account-wide mechanics and unlocks. Most of the best gear is account bound too. And you can make copies of your anime princess or play differently looking ones without buying makeover kits.

You don't share quest progress but since very few things are unlocked through story progression that's not much of a problem.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Are there MMOs where questing is the fun bit rather than everything else? I can't imagine if it was better to level by collecting 8 Wind Cores from those drat sprites instead of running The Vault.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SonicRulez posted:

Are there MMOs where questing is the fun bit rather than everything else? I can't imagine if it was better to level by collecting 8 Wind Cores from those drat sprites instead of running The Vault.

SWTOR comes to mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

If you want more sidequests to use to level your other classes, you get 6 levequest allotments per day.

There's also FATEs which function as little pick-up cooperative quests.

Add roulettes, dungeons, hunting logs, daily hunt boards, and so on, and there's an absurd amount of quest-like and not-so-quest-like methods to level.