Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
What I'm getting from all of this is that DSP can totally be a games journalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

The instructions in the background of that tutorial literally draw out the path you're supposed to take with big arrows.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Any time someone trots out the fact that what they're doing is a 'social experiment', my brain just shuts down and realizes that they've got nothing worthwhile to say. I mean, come on, dude....you're playing a game demo poorly.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 7, 2017

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Mega64 posted:

I'm just happy we're finally getting to the point that we're finally expecting game journalists to have qualities and standards beyond "I'm a game journalist because I call myself a game journalist."

But see expecting professionalism from professionals is bad when it comes to videogames because

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Max Wilco posted:

I was worried it was going to end with Slowbeef pretending to choke on those cashews into unconsciousness.

Watching that game-play video again, what makes it so hilarious/frustrating is that you can tell right away that you can't jump high enough to clear that cylinder from the ground. Like if it just failing to jump-and-dash from the cube to the cylinder, I'd look at it and think, "Well, I guess you just have really precise jumps in this game." Instead, the video makes it look like the game's being played by someone's dad who hasn't tried playing video games since 1994.

It's very poorly explained. They should've had a ghost Cuphead going through the motions to illustrate how you're wasting your time by running up to the pillar.

Anyway, this isn't important. What is important is that Baker7498 has returned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwB6HN89F6g

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!

RareAcumen posted:

It's very poorly explained.
If you need it explained to you that you can't jump high enough to clear an obstacle from ground level and you've just been told about a dash move that sends you across a horizontal distance, even in midair, and assume that maybe those two moves that you're learning back to back could be used together somehow, you're not going to make it through that game even after figuring that out.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

For the sake of posting something positive in this thread for once, here's this week's Achievement Hunter GTA video, which turned out to be one of the most intense racing sets they've ever done. Highly recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0P9liI8T9w

Important context (but also spoilers): Gavin NEVER wins these things.

kidcoelacanth fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 7, 2017

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

It's very poorly explained. They should've had a ghost Cuphead going through the motions to illustrate how you're wasting your time by running up to the pillar.
The tutorial is fine the dude was just bad at the game.

E:Bleh I'm bad at this

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Sep 7, 2017

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Golden Goat posted:

The tutorial is fine the dude was just bad at the game.

For 'fine' the tutorial didn't even tell you what direction you're supposed to hold the controller. Or which way to set your console before you put the disc in!

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
Sometimes I forget what jokes are.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Dean speaks and it's basically exactly what you'd expect.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

quote:

Still, it was a bit hard to laugh, because they were so expert in their cruelty and so gleeful at my expense. It has made me rethink my own little putdowns, like how I enjoy dissing Mega Man, one of Minotti’s favorite games. Cruelty comes back to haunt you.
A real teachable moment.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Fedule posted:

Dean speaks and it's basically exactly what you'd expect.

For a moment there, I saw 'Dean' and 'Venture' and got excited.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

quote:

But there are things I will not apologize for. Stand by for more on that, if you’re willing to read more than 140 characters.

Oh, gently caress off, Dean. You don't suck at platformers because of Twitter.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
so uhm

how about those wacky Sons of Kojima

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

DeafNote posted:

so uhm

Don't keep up with them, following their antics doesn't make me feel better about myself.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

DeafNote posted:

so uhm

Fred Fuchs is still in complete radio silence since the leaks got out. The only activity that people have noticed is that the SoK Youtube channel has removed all featured channels besides Fred's personal channel.

Most current members have already come out and apologised for their association and have left the group. A few former members have even made streams completely throwing Fred under the bus.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.

DeafNote posted:

so uhm

What'd they do?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

King Doom posted:

What'd they do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxJOU-LM-w

Time stamps in the description.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

judge reinhold posted:

A real teachable moment.

When will you do a video with Anthony, you hack frauds?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So, because I don't want to watch 5 hours of whatever it is the SOK did, what did they do?

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So, because I don't want to watch 5 hours of whatever it is the SOK did, what did they do?

Something about Null from Kiwi farms comes in. And a bunch of other people come in. THOSE REBELS

i.e. I'll wait for the sparknotes version of this. Sifting through a 5 hour video to find something that may or may not be bad doesn't appeal to me.

Cuveball Sliders
Oct 9, 2007
I tried to read the links and watch some of the q&a in the video (including the "bomb drop") and I still have no idea what happened. There are a lot of references to "bomb drops", "mic drops", and leaks but nobody will say what any of those things actually were, only that they completely destroyed some guy named Fred. Also someone named Alice died of leukemia, which is sad. Encyclopedia Dramatica had some kind of write up of it all but it's as unreadable as everything else there.

Probably doesn't help that my only exposure to sons of kojima was them giggling over one of slowbeef's videos mocking dsp, which was as terrible as it sounds.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sounds like Fred's been doxxing, swatting, filing false copyright strikes, poo poo like that. I don't know the details—there's a thread over on Kiwi Farms that's linked in the description that's, uh, a lot—but it's still enough for me to feel like an rear end in a top hat for following the SoK for as long as I have (which wasn't THAT long, but still). I'm just gonna back away slowly; I know all I need to know, and nobody needs me to figure out the rest.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Sep 9, 2017

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Here's a copy of the bullet points on the kiwifarms thread.

"Kiwi Farms posted:

Quick recap (as quick as possible anyway) on all recent information, all things said have evidence behind them, big thanks to @neger psykolog for doing this while I attempt to edit this all together into a cohesive story.
  • Fred has been revealed to be very paranoid/controlling over other people, mainly seems to be targeted at people who have left SoK or spoken badly about them.
  • Fred/some members of SoK flip out if anyone monetizes videos about DSP
  • Fred/some members of SoK have been implicated in blackmail of people
  • Fred/some members of SoK have been implicated (or was aware) of fraudulent copyright strikes against DSP
  • Fred/some members of SoK have implicated (or was aware) of Doxxing of certain people
  • Fred/some members of SoK have (or was aware) of organized disliking of videos that went against his views
  • Fred/some members of SoK have (or was aware) of organized reporting/takedown of videos that went against his views
  • Fred/some members of SoK have (or was aware) of organized reporting of twitter accounts that went against his views
  • Generally speaking a lot of the SoK members have recorded voice conversations, captured Skype text chats and similar things leading to a large amount of controversial information being revealed. This is where a large amount of drama seems to be coming from.
  • Fred has been implicated in doxxing members and their associates because they tried to leave the group
  • There have been instances of death threats surrounding doxxing
  • Fred is accused of plotting to have TheyCallMeTXT & KingofPol fight each other to get rid of them both
  • There are claims that the group is finished, although there hasn't been anything officially stated so far
  • Some people have come on KF and given a bit of a picture of how the Discord/SoK chat server was run
  • It had several rooms, designed for vetting the "true and honest" nature of applicants
  • It had a room for the most "true and honest" members of the group
  • Fred was reportedly super insecure about people using any other rooms

Reactions/apologies so far

• Several members have distanced themselves from the group entirely
  • Fred issued an apology and the general attitude was that it was insufficient/insincere (link: https://t.co/xthOaFfVA4)
  • Mog/Moogle/MogFantasy issued an apology and it was generally well received (link: https://t.co/YUTD6IuEdm)
  • DSP issued a statement via his twitter (link: https://t.co/Kyo3b2TW7T)
  • He claims that Leanna's dad was swatted
  • He claims that besides the trolling someone actually physically sent him poo poo (i.e. feces) in the mail
  • He claims the reason for his breakup with Leanna was due to financial issues behind the scenes
  • He claims that he had to miss Leanna's brothers wedding due to the swatting incidences
  • He claims that SoK members tried to find the address/date of his wedding (according to some people on this thread, he at the very least gave out the date by himself)
  • He blames Fred/SoK for the downfall of his YouTube income and subsequently makes them responsible for his inability to repay his debts.
  • He says his life is already destroyed by debt and he is only looking to be positive and move forward

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
yeah its hard to tell whats true or just DSP trying to blame it all on SOK (was that really the reason he didnt go to the wedding?)
but I doubt DSP would make up that swatting of Leanna's father

and a lot of the accusations seems to be true, and not even related to DSP
all started from him troll calling someone autistic? I think?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Well this all seems like a magnificent shitshow.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

BMS posted:

kiwifarms

no

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

yes...?

Is this information false? Or is it simply because it's KF that it's invalid.....If that info is wrong, then it's wrong. But if that little bullet point list is factual, then who gives a poo poo where it comes from. Truth is truth, gently caress the source.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Fedule posted:

Well this all seems like a magnificent shitshow.

:jerky:

Honestly I'm not surprised if Fred indeed did the swatting and copyright strikes, the guy always delivered "we didn't do it" in such a way that.. just seemed off.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
The "make fun of dark side phil" group with a dumb name definitely needed to have a strong man in charge. Could see how so much power could drive a man to corruption.

"Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" - super mario

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
what does this have to do with Metal Gear

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
Yeah, I was going to ask what else they were known for outside of making compilations of DSP being poo poo at things...but I guess that was it? And somehow they managed to implode from their very minor bit of niche fame I guess? That's incredibly odd to me. Especially hearing the idea of discord drama. I'll see you nerds on vent, where all the cool people still chill.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

BMS posted:

Then who gives a poo poo where it comes from

Probably LGBT people and other groups that they regularly harass :ssh:

Whenever possible, probably better to find a source that doesn't send people threats for saying things they don't like or worse, being one of the icky transpeople.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 9, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BMS posted:

yes...?

Is this information false? Or is it simply because it's KF that it's invalid.....If that info is wrong, then it's wrong. But if that little bullet point list is factual, then who gives a poo poo where it comes from. Truth is truth, gently caress the source.

No, that info is right, and several ex-SoK members have come out and confirmed it.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

BMS posted:

yes...?

Kiwifarms is not exactly a trustworthy source because:

Yardbomb posted:

Probably LGBT people and other groups that they regularly harass :ssh:

Whenever possible, probably better to find a source that doesn't send people threats for saying things they don't like or worse, being one of the icky transpeople.

But if the info is corroborated by other sources then it's more likely to be true. Either way, you shouldn't trust anything from Kiwifarms upfront.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I think this is the first time phil has ever actually come out and said something truthful like this (with regards to money being part of the reason his relationship fell apart i mean) but then he immediatly turns around and goes "these people are the reason i'm not making any money on youtube!"

I mean sure Phil, these guys are assholes, but they aren't the only reason you aren't making money...

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like DSP as an acronym, because it takes a couple of lines to figure out which DSP this thread is talking about each time something new is posted. It is difficult to distinguish because both versions have video game adjacency, doxing, and crazy people at the core.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I mean sure Phil, these guys are assholes, but they aren't the only reason you aren't making money...

Phil doesn't seem to understand 2 key things to his monetary problems in regards to youtube ad revenue:

1, and the biggest thing, is that youtube ad revenue deal was hosed for EVERYONE on account of advertisers pulling their ads because they didn't want to be associated with head chopping videos and honest to god nazis. This effected everyone, period, and there is no way an outside hate group could affect that in any way.

2 being related to above that his dumbass kept pushing his partner over and over and over until literally saying "I don't want to be partnered with you if you cannot give me the answer I want", and the answer he wanted was only the words "Oh this is why you aren't getting revenue we'll pay you all the lost money now". And he got booted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
In other news, ProJared and his wife were attending PAX, and while they were away, a pipe burst in their home and caused a significant amount of damage, including unleashing a bunch of asbestos into the air. They're trying to get everything fixed, but it's uninhabitable at the moment.