Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What is it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Your Parents posted:

http://www.waggish.org/2017/twin-peaks-finale/

This is probably the best explanation of the ending I've seen so far, or at least the one that lines up most with my own interpretation.

I love that theory and I think that the dude is right in that the ending is a victory with a high cost - it also reminds me a lot of Grant Morrison's work and his pocket dimension traps.

however I think this is wrong:

quote:

Meanwhile: Leland, possessed by BOB, went on doing his thing after Laura disappeared off the face of the planet the night she was supposed to have died. Gordon remembers “the unofficial version” where Laura died, but he knows it was the right call and is not too bothered. Most of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me happened. Most everything else didn’t–which has implications for a lot of what happened in The Return.

There is nothing in The Return that implies that it takes place in a world without Laura Palmer dead - unless you pretend that every character has a hosed up memory and remembers thing that did not happen (Cooper visiting Twin Peaks). There is also an issue of Judy inside Sarah Palmer chomping on that trucker. I think that there is nothing fucky in the timeline at that point - Judy is just anchored to Sarah and continues to corrupt the world through the influence (vomiting child, White lodge invasion). THEN Cooper does his thing and, through time fuckery, Judy feels it and tries to smash Laura's photo in defeat. The material world is unaffected, but the balance of the Lodges is restored once the Dream (the show) ends in a scream.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

So far I have yet to read an explanation that feels totally "right". Hopefully I never will. Certain explanations will focus on a host of issues and then leave out the Woodsmen and the nuclear bomb and whatnot. There's so much going on, you really need to make a flowchart.

I actually believe that, in retrospect, the most revealing thing we learned about Bad Coop/BOB was the relationship that both seemed to have with The Woodsmen. Now, we *know* from Episode 8 that The Woodsmen predate anything else in the show having to do with the Lodges, despite the fact that we never see a single woodsmen in any sort of interdimensional space! I mean, they are of course STRONGLY linked with The Convenience Store, which appears to facilitate several modes of travel. But we don't see them in the Red Room or the Purple Place or the Giants Tower, ever. Yet we know they are heavily linked to these places.

I really love that he kept The Woodsmen in particular almost completely mysterious, because it sort of insures Season 3 and Episode 8 will always be loving terrifying. If I knew what the Woodsman wanted or what their agenda was or what EXACTLY they were it would ruin a huge component of what makes them so viscerally terrifying, beyond simply their appearance.

And I really do not know if they are on BOB's side or the Doppelganger's side - total mystery to me. I would tend to say BOB, but I'm not happy with it. Almost as an example of all this, I find BOB way way way less scary knowing that he can be destroyed by some acne-faced London kid with a gardening glove that has the power of "an enormous piledriver". It just... Sorta takes away some of the terrifying mystique of BOB as an unkillable presence of evil latent in the hearts of men (inasmuch as he also seemed to be a predatory man with long dirty-grey hair).

So for similar reasons, I feel like it'd be pretty loving dumb if the ending was Laura Palmer exploding like a megaton bomb and "killing Judy". Sounds like the person who came up with that idea didn't really "get" the dichotomy between episodes 17 and 18.

Fados
Jan 7, 2013
I like Malcolm X, I can't be racist!

Put this racist dipshit on ignore immediately!
I like the theory that someone posted here that the woodsmen are simple minded minions whose prupose is maintaining the playground where the lodge entities play their game, eg: feeding on human sorrow. Relating to 'the water and the well', they make sure the well keeps running.

Now, why they kill, Bill Hastings, I have no idea. Was he an obstacle to something?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
He seemed pretty garbonzialy

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I've been focused on Cooper's lapel pin. It's missing in the Fireman riddle in S3E1. It's present in the Lodge/Red Room/Mauve Zone scenes in E1-3. It's missing on Dougie throughout the show and missing on Cooper when he comes back. It doesn't appear to be on Cooper in the final showdown with BOB, but I think it IS present as Cooper approaches the Basement Door with Diane and Cole. It is for sure present after Cooper exits in Glastonbury Grove, drives around with Diane, goes back in time, and goes to Odessa.

I don't know why I'm fixated on it, but it seems representative of something. If we're playing with universes or timelines, it seems like Lapel Pin Cooper is part of a different continuity than Non Pin Cooper, but I haven't fully explored this idea yet. It could just signify Cooper as Completed Cooper or Whole Cooper - he doesn't get his FBI Pin (legitimacy?) until BOB is dead.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Fados posted:

I like the theory that someone posted here that the woodsmen are simple minded minions whose prupose is maintaining the playground where the lodge entities play their game, eg: feeding on human sorrow. Relating to 'the water and the well', they make sure the well keeps running.

Now, why they kill, Bill Hastings, I have no idea. Was he an obstacle to something?

He had info he was gonna tell

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really think this pin thing is just a continuity error y'all.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I was hoping they were going to destroy Booper by giving him a bath

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

garmonboziaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

its to find this source of ultimate negative energy, he only has coops memories, not leland's, so he doesn't know where it is because coop never did before the split, bob can only guide him in this, like bob guided leland in the first place to find sarah and thus laura. it's also possible giant is using this as part of the trap to make sure he spends this 25 years in search of it to always lure him to white lodge/sheriffs station

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Sep 8, 2017

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

mary had a little clam posted:

I've been focused on Cooper's lapel pin. It's missing in the Fireman riddle in S3E1. It's present in the Lodge/Red Room/Mauve Zone scenes in E1-3. It's missing on Dougie throughout the show and missing on Cooper when he comes back. It doesn't appear to be on Cooper in the final showdown with BOB, but I think it IS present as Cooper approaches the Basement Door with Diane and Cole. It is for sure present after Cooper exits in Glastonbury Grove, drives around with Diane, goes back in time, and goes to Odessa.

I don't know why I'm fixated on it, but it seems representative of something. If we're playing with universes or timelines, it seems like Lapel Pin Cooper is part of a different continuity than Non Pin Cooper, but I haven't fully explored this idea yet. It could just signify Cooper as Completed Cooper or Whole Cooper - he doesn't get his FBI Pin (legitimacy?) until BOB is dead.

yeah i think non-pin coop is the bob trap loop and pin coop is the judy trap loop.

whatever you believe, there is 100% without a doubt, at least two timelines shown throughout season 3, when i do my rewatch im gonna see if i chan order the scenes in which timeline they belong, and that goes for all of it, not just cooper scenes.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Your Parents posted:

This is probably the best explanation of the ending I've seen so far, or at least the one that lines up most with my own interpretation.

It's not bad, but he says he's driving a 1980s car and is in a 1980s motel room. That to me is a 1950s car, and 50s motel room. They even play the same song from the radio station in episode 8 when Diane and Cooper are having sex. I don't think it necessarily destroys his thesis, I think it just needs to be reworked a little. I hadn't thought about the alternate world as being a creation of the White Lodge, I always put it as a creation of the Black Lodge/Judy.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

moist turtleneck posted:

I was hoping they were going to destroy Booper by giving him a bath

the grease

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

twin timelines my dude.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
Gordon's spinning pin in ep11 is enough to tell me that the pin stuff is deliberate.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

how can you possibly think this?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

The Walrus posted:

how can you possibly think this?

Cause it's one dude directing 18 hours of television and poo poo gets lost in the cracks, there are a bunch of other continuity errors throughout the series, and this whole "he has his pin here but not here IT MUST MEAN SOMETHING" thing has been ridiculous since the beginning?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Escobarbarian posted:

Cause it's one dude directing 18 hours of television and poo poo gets lost in the cracks, there are a bunch of other continuity errors throughout the series, and this whole "he has his pin here but not here IT MUST MEAN SOMETHING" thing has been ridiculous since the beginning?

It could not possibly be more clearly intentional without an MTV popup bubble pointing it out. If the pin disappeared from one shot to another it would be one thing, but it's from one scene to another, where there is already a ton of in-text ambiguity about when, where, and who those scenes are featuring.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A teeny pin on a lapel is an extremely easy thing to not consider. I don't get it at all. Unless it's specifically there in the red room scenes earlier in the series and not there in the ones from episode 18, or vice versa, I think it's just an accident.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Pin... Pine... Cooper is a pine weasel in Universe B.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a subtle pin, it's extremely bright and right in the centre of the shot. It seems to even be placed higher on the jacket than it typically would be to allow for it being in the shot.

I have no idea how you could look at that initial scene with cooper and the fireman, where he's not wearing his pin, and which is totally ambiguous about where or when it takes place or the logistics of its existence, and then just disregard a hugely obvious visual clue like that. it makes no sense.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 8, 2017

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Lapel pins are a big thing for some people, its definitely intentional

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

There are too many elaborate set design things in the series for it to be a simple error.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

esco, what's your take on all this? i would like to you know your conclusions on what the 18 hours magnum opus film from filmmaker artist david lynch and writer mark frost, both whom spent 4 years writing it and about 2-3 years finishing it, means. what was it all about?

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Let's not forget one of Lynch's favorite sayings

quote:

Find a pin and pick it up, and all day long you'll have a pin

terminal chillness
Oct 16, 2008

This baby is off the charts
Ah its seems weve discovered the lynchpin for this whole show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Vikar Jerome posted:

esco, what's your take on all this? i would like to you know your conclusions on what the 18 hours magnum opus film from filmmaker artist david lynch and writer mark frost, both whom spent 4 years writing it and about 2-3 years finishing it, means. what was it all about?

I wanna rewatch it all before I even begin to try and offer up any overall interpretations. I definitely think a lot of people have nailed one of the main themes with the whole "you can't go home again" thing I see popping up post-finale, though. Currently I'm really enjoying reading different interpretations - that one posted here recently was super cool and interesting, although I definitely don't think the Odessaverse was to trap Judy.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There is still something I'm confused about. At the end, are watching just one attempt in Cooper's infinite loop to try to save Laura, with The Fireman trying to help him each time?

Or are we watching the final attempt, which ends in the alternate world merging again with the original world, but with two versions of Cooper?

Or neither?

What is the consensus? I can't figure out the sequence of events too easily.

Trousers!
Sep 28, 2001
"Ummm, I don't think sushi is Japanese. It was invented in California." - Villainy, in the 'Why are so many anime fans so goddamn fucking retarded.' thread.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G posted:

Being at the right spot isn't enough in Twin Peaks, it has to be the right time too.
But what if Alice Tremond's house is the right time and the right place?

If Sarah is (or possesed by) Judy then that whole house could be filled with lodge entities. We never saw anyone but Sarah in the house throughout S3 but Hawk did hear something when he visited.
What if Alice was talking to Sarah/Judy when answering Cooper's questions about the house.
Could also explain the faint "Laura" being heard at the end in Sarah's voice.

Coop 'saved' Laura in the past but in the present he found her again and brought her right to Judy.

Rubber Biscuit
Jan 21, 2007

Yeah, I was in the shit.
Somewhere back in the depths of this gargantuan thread, someone linked to a twitter account that reposted and traced certain themes and similarities in Lynch's paintings / art in general. I remember it being really fascinating and comprehensive but I can't, for the life of me, find the link. Did anyone happen to save it / follow the account / remotely know what i'm talking about?

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Rubber Biscuit posted:

Somewhere back in the depths of this gargantuan thread, someone linked to a twitter account that reposted and traced certain themes and similarities in Lynch's paintings / art in general. I remember it being really fascinating and comprehensive but I can't, for the life of me, find the link. Did anyone happen to save it / follow the account / remotely know what i'm talking about?

https://twitter.com/ramontorrente/status/891450970101690368

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Rubber Biscuit posted:

https://twitter.com/_chloi/status/904889618906021888

This thread has a couple, and links another thread with some more references.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Listening to the Roadhouse album that just came out, I'm enjoying a lot of these songs a lot more now than I did watching the show, where a lot of them just kind of washed over me. I'm really glad it includes Just You and Sharp Dressed Man. Also, still really like the Rebekah del Rio song that made some people here die.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

Also, still really like the Rebekah del Rio song that made some people here die.
Someone posted a version without all the auto-tune and it was 100% better, and didn't sound like an alarm clock tone buzzing in my ear.

Windswept by Johnny Jewel is probably my favorite Twin Peaks track of all time.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

fatherboxx posted:

I love that theory and I think that the dude is right in that the ending is a victory with a high cost - it also reminds me a lot of Grant Morrison's work and his pocket dimension traps.

however I think this is wrong:

There is nothing in The Return that implies that it takes place in a world without Laura Palmer dead - unless you pretend that every character has a hosed up memory and remembers thing that did not happen (Cooper visiting Twin Peaks). There is also an issue of Judy inside Sarah Palmer chomping on that trucker. I think that there is nothing fucky in the timeline at that point - Judy is just anchored to Sarah and continues to corrupt the world through the influence (vomiting child, White lodge invasion). THEN Cooper does his thing and, through time fuckery, Judy feels it and tries to smash Laura's photo in defeat. The material world is unaffected, but the balance of the Lodges is restored once the Dream (the show) ends in a scream.

Your argument kind of makes sense to me until the part where you claim the show ends with a scream. It's sort of true that this is the last scene, but the episode, as always, ends with the credits. This time, it's over Laura whispering to Cooper. So, the show actually ends with a message being delivered, not with the dream being destroyed. If the show is a dream, then how can there be anything after the dream has collapsed?

I kind of want there to be a fourth season, just because it would casually prove most theories wrong.

Some of these are really cool, but about half of them are not similar to the show's imagery at all. I don't think there has been a single ant in all of Twin Peaks, for example.

Your Parents
Jul 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

mary had a little clam posted:

I was rewatching 18 and it threw me off as well. Coop's pin is facing one way until he sits down at the table in Judy's diner, when it's suddenly upside down. I don't know if its continuity or what.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Maybe Laura is trying to save Cooper by telling him exactly what will happen after 2:53 and episode 18 is exactly that.

It's been really fun reading all the theories that pop up, from the ultra nihilistic ones to the super hopeful ones. But if I'm to be honest I still disliked the ending even after stewing in it for a week. Though it was better crafted and kind of set up, it still reeks of "lots of speculation from everyone" poo poo the Mass Effect 3 ending was going for. I knew I was going to be disappointed when, what should have been a very cathartic moment - Dougie returning to Janey-E and Sonny Jim - felt like it was tacked on and brushed aside with no fanfare. It felt, to me, that David Lynch cares more about doing weird surreal stuff than the actual characters involved in those events.

I would love another season but I doubt that will happen. This season had extraordinary highs for me but as a whole it's not half the show Season 1 was.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 8, 2017

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Jimbot posted:

it still reeks of "lots of speculation from everyone" poo poo the Mass Effect 3 ending was going for.

get out

Modrasone
Jul 27, 2008

HE WANTS THIS AND SO SHOULD YOU!
Errr guys . . . . .

https://medium.com/@onantiad/episodes-17-18-of-twin-peaks-the-return-are-meant-to-be-watched-in-sync-81352ce38e8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Your Parents posted:

I really like this. Other than rendering the original series void, which I disagree with, this lines up well with my earlier post.