Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
i love the actual fi service but the pixel phones are super flaky. my wife and I have both had to rma now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

i love the actual fi service but the pixel phones are super flaky. my wife and I have both had to rma now.

stop trying to "go full YOSPOS" on your cell phone and your woes will evaporate. Use as intended and adhere to Sundar's glorious vision and you will be rewarded with the best drat cell phone on the market, the Google Pixel and Pixel XL.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Smythe posted:

my 6p works perfectly and has never had a bug or error. my fi service owns and works everywhere including on the subway via tmob i think which is cool. its in near mint condition despite never using a case. these dyp users are installing bad software and breaking their flawless devices with their own stupidity. Calling these PEBKAC errors, OP. Ticket closed.

I feel like this should get x-posted to the AI thread so as to raise the computational and philosophical problems implied by an apparently functional human computer that nevertheless provides universally incorrect information as responses to stimuli-questions.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it'd be nice if i could use a motorola phone on fi

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Schadenboner posted:

I feel like this should get x-posted to the AI thread so as to raise the computational and philosophical problems implied by an apparently functional human computer that nevertheless provides universally incorrect information as responses to stimuli-questions.

sentience was a mistake and any success on inflicting it on machines will be our greatest crime as a species

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

sentience was a mistake and any success on inflicting it on machines will be our greatest crime as a species

IAWTP except that our species has also created Android.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

atomicthumbs posted:

it'd be nice if i could use a motorola phone on fi

fi has a fallback mode where you can put the SIM in a non-compatible phone and it will still work, but it will only connect to T-Mobile towers (i.e. no Sprint or US Cellular). my guess is they would yell at you if you tried to use it like this full-time, though

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

fi has a fallback mode where you can put the SIM in a non-compatible phone and it will still work, but it will only connect to T-Mobile towers (i.e. no Sprint or US Cellular). my guess is they would yell at you if you tried to use it like this full-time, though

so iow if you do this you get a better product

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

no because then you might as well just go with t-mobile and get cheaper or unlimited data, zero-rated streaming, etc.

imo, fi is only a good choice if you use very little data, or if you live/work in an area where the multi-carrier aspect saves you from no coverage, or if your pattern of international travel fits well into its international coverage structure. I don't use lots of cell data so it's v cheap for me

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Lutha Mahtin posted:

no because then you might as well just go with t-mobile and get cheaper or unlimited data, zero-rated streaming, etc.

imo, fi is only a good choice if you use very little data, or if you live/work in an area where the multi-carrier aspect saves you from no coverage, or if your pattern of international travel fits well into its international coverage structure. I don't use lots of cell data so it's v cheap for me

fi costs the same as every other carrier with normal use and the reception and speeds own. the app is good and they treat you with some dignity unlike the pieces of poo poo at every other carrier. fi is extremely good, dont let the insane spergs in IYG sully your views on it with their craven minmaxing. i just treat it like normal, pay my $40, and get on with my life. Take care OP

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Smythe posted:

fi costs the same as every other carrier with normal use and the reception and speeds own. the app is good and they treat you with some dignity unlike the pieces of poo poo at every other carrier. fi is extremely good, dont let the insane spergs in IYG sully your views on it with their craven minmaxing. i just treat it like normal, pay my $40, and get on with my life. Take care OP

their customer service is second to none. it's just a shame i have to talk to them so much because updates keep blowing up my phone.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Smythe posted:

fi costs the same as every other carrier with normal use and the reception and speeds own. the app is good and they treat you with some dignity unlike the pieces of poo poo at every other carrier. fi is extremely good, dont let the insane spergs in IYG sully your views on it with their craven minmaxing.

if you think fi speeds are anything to write home about, you must have previously been on sprint or some other sad data situation. this would explain why your concept of "normal use" is like 1.5gb a month. and while i appreciate the support on fi, the only reason ive needed to talk to them is because of googles inability to release reliable hardware, so on balance im not sure if that's a point in their favor

im certainly not dissatisfied with fi. but i think it's pretty hard to make the case that if it was available for all phones that very many people would use it, outside of the few people who do their homework and realize their use case means a $10/mo savings by going on fi

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

I have used lovely mvnos for years and other than activations I think I've had to call customer support a single time. It's funny that people argue the Google phones have the benefit of fast updates when the updates are usually p likely to gently caress something up

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Smythe posted:

these dyp users are installing bad software

i think anroid comes preinstalled actually

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Blue Train posted:

I have used lovely mvnos for years and other than activations I think I've had to call customer support a single time. It's funny that people argue the Google phones have the benefit of fast updates when the updates are usually p likely to gently caress something up

I've never had an update gently caress anything up. I don't install bad software or otherwise "hack" my phone so it works perfectly. Consider the path of enlightenment and free yourself of bugs and errors.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

i think anroid comes preinstalled actually

Android is far and away the best mobile OS.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Currently on an OG moto x which spontaneously restarts roughly once a day or so, and whose wifi doesn't function at all unless 5ghz is disabled (took a lot of trial and error to figure that out).

Every so often itll get into a state where itll only connect on 3g until ive given it a kick by enabling and disabling airplane mode. Similar story with the (2.4ghz) wifi deciding to not connect to anything until ive given that a kick as well

Forgot to set it into airplane mode during a three hour hike today and it ate through 40% of its battery

Basically it needs constant babying to get anything to function

Never been on anything but stock android

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
my og Moto X still works fine op

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

wow it's almost as if a hallmark of lovely products is wild inconsistency

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Progressive JPEG posted:

Currently on an OG moto x which spontaneously restarts roughly once a day or so, and whose wifi doesn't function at all unless 5ghz is disabled (took a lot of trial and error to figure that out).

Every so often itll get into a state where itll only connect on 3g until ive given it a kick by enabling and disabling airplane mode. Similar story with the (2.4ghz) wifi deciding to not connect to anything until ive given that a kick as well

Forgot to set it into airplane mode during a three hour hike today and it ate through 40% of its battery

Basically it needs constant babying to get anything to function

Never been on anything but stock android

you should get a good phone instead

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

The Management posted:

you should get a good phone instead

:agreed:, the situation should be resolved a couple days after tuesday

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my (u.s.) moto defaulted to uk english. I've left it because I like my phone talking about moving files to the bin or turning on the torch

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

the android thread is excited to learn that the upcoming qualcomm soc that will be in every late 2017/early 2018 flagship phone beats apple's 2015 soc in single core benchmarks.

http://wccftech.com/qualcomm-snapdragon-845-benchmarks-yall/

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
Well... one guy was excited

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

if only good benches meant good phones huh?

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, so that oreo problem where it eats your data even in wifi turned out to be that they left a dev option turned on in the production package. the recommended fix is to enable the dev options menu and then disable dev options.

theyre never gonna patch that poo poo so queue a million normies breaking their phones loving around with the dev options.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

cis autodrag posted:

lol, so that oreo problem where it eats your data even in wifi turned out to be that they left a dev option turned on in the production package. the recommended fix is to enable the dev options menu and then disable dev options.

theyre never gonna patch that poo poo so queue a million normies breaking their phones loving around with the dev options.

they spent more time focus-grouping that garbage weird cookie-superhero-eclipse mascot thingy than actually testing their goddamn software

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

cis autodrag posted:

lmao this is some amateur level poo poo

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Management posted:

lmao this is some amateur level poo poo

how hard would it be to have a step in your build process to make sure dev settings are disabled, but nope.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
we are all developers on this blessed day

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
you know your os is good when an app comes out to turn off a new "feature" within one day:
https://www.xda-developers.com/hide-app-running-background-notification-android-oreo/

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Quick reminder that android users are the product not the customer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

you know your os is good when an app comes out to turn off a new "feature" within one day:
https://www.xda-developers.com/hide-app-running-background-notification-android-oreo/

thats not a feature

it only appears when the user has installed something they shouldnt have

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Management posted:

google doesn't do testing

just like the big boys *dons ms jacket and proceeds to push to prod after committing changes*

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eric posted:

Quick reminder that android users are the product not the customer.

why hasn't google gotten in trouble for their defective products then

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

thats not a feature

it only appears when the user has installed something they shouldnt have

:rolleye:

it shows up for lightflow, tasker, and plenty of other poo poo that people are fully aware runs in the background when they install them. it's only useful if you can white list things because otherwise it's just the notification that cried wolf and nobody will pay attention to it.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Cocoa Crispies posted:

why hasn't google gotten in trouble for their defective products then

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

cis autodrag posted:

it shows up for lightflow, tasker, and plenty of other poo poo that people are fully aware runs in the background when they install them. it's only useful if you can white list things because otherwise it's just the notification that cried wolf and nobody will pay attention to it.

tasker is my favorite android app. i don't use it, i just enjoy reading tasker-ers :qq: after every big android os update that locks down more stuff that an always-on background :rice: app shouldn't be dicking around with

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

cis autodrag posted:

i can assure you it does not show up for lightflow as both my wife and i have lightflow on our pixels and have no notification

it only shows up when one lovely app prompts it and then it shows all the well behaved background apps at the same time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LastInLine posted:

i can assure you it does not show up for lightflow as both my wife and i have lightflow on our pixels and have no notification

it only shows up when one lovely app prompts it and then it shows all the well behaved background apps at the same time

i also have lightflow and it is showing up for me and no other apps are listed. a lot of people are reporting this same issue. it's not working as intended.

lightflow is the only bit of customization i use anymore so i can have a separate light color for my wife since she only texts in emergencies so i know not to ignore my phone.

everything else i use has 0 permissions required