Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah the last dungeon is pretty short and easy especially the puzzles? And it's not like they are throwing encounters at you during the puzzles or anything.
By the way you can leave the dungeon, but just to go to the weapon and item shops, so be sure to stock up on recovery items while you still can.
The only thing that gave me some pause is that it's a bit longer trek than usual to the first safe room, to the point that I wasn't sure it would have safe rooms at all.

The previous dungeon's puzzles are more tedious than challenging or frustrating really since there's a fair amount of backtracking involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

SweaterGear posted:

Wow, that's really cool! That's some impressive gameplay-story integration!

Was it at least something good? Every time it happened to me I got a physical Persona instead of a magic one, or vice-versa.
I got a Pixie. :suicide:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Item Getter posted:

Yeah the last dungeon is pretty short and easy especially the puzzles? And it's not like they are throwing encounters at you during the puzzles or anything.
By the way you can leave the dungeon, but just to go to the weapon and item shops, so be sure to stock up on recovery items while you still can.
The only thing that gave me some pause is that it's a bit longer trek than usual to the first safe room, to the point that I wasn't sure it would have safe rooms at all.

The previous dungeon's puzzles are more tedious than challenging or frustrating really since there's a fair amount of backtracking involved.

It's short but I tend to not dodge around enemies so I was coasting on just regen 3 alone for a while. If there'd been 1 line that mentioned being able to heal\get SP at the top, I'd probably be less frustrated. It's something the game never did in any other dungeon so I didn't think to look.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

What's the chainsaw event

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

What's the chainsaw event

Fusion accidents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNdF1InU80c&t=120s

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

pack it in already posted:

An affinity reading gives 5 points baseline and is affected by Persona matching so you can get 7 points out of it.

how much does a normal non-levelling up hangout give? I've been pumping fortune readings into Ohya for over a month now and it's still not at the point where i can level her up when i talk to her.

pack it in already
Jul 16, 2009

CJ posted:

how much does a normal non-levelling up hangout give? I've been pumping fortune readings into Ohya for over a month now and it's still not at the point where i can level her up when i talk to her.

Spending time without ranking up or going anywhere to hang out awards 10 CP. If you're at rank 4-7, you can take her to Seaside Park and pick the second dialogue option for 15 points. If you're at 8 or higher, you can take her to Ginza and pick the first dialogue option for 15 points (this is also where you get the sushi cup decor item).

Since Ohya is potentially dateable, you have the option to give her a gift for extra points whenever you spend time together. The Fountain Pen gives you 50 points, and you can get 10 points each for the Incense Set, Mini Cactus, Black Mug, Sakura Fan, Rakugo Collection, and Uji Matcha Flan.

Regarding the conversation about bank vs. bucket for confidant points, I went back and reread the official guide and in its flowchart for how confidant rank-ups work it explicitly says your CP total is reduced to 0 at the beginning of the rank-up event, so that's another perspective to keep in mind.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

lovely poker hand posted:

Make sure to keep telling us your thoughts as the game progresses! I'd like to see you come back to this post after you've beaten the game and comment on what you did or didn't guess.

Well i'm coming up to the culture festival now so here's what i think.

The Futaba mom stuff was confirmed almost immediately after the last point i stopped. The fifth calling card mentioned greed and the fourth sloth, confirming the 7 deadly sins thing. Working from that it makes Kamoshida lust, the mafia guy i guess i gluttony in that he consumes wealth rather than hordes it like Haru's dad. I guess Madarame is envy out of what is left, in that he envied the talents of his students? In the interrogation scene it said that their next target was Sae, so i'm guessing she gets a bit zealous in coming after the Phantom Thieves which makes her wrath, and the bald guy is pride. I'm in two minds over this though. Quoting wikipedia "As pride has been labelled the father of all sins, it has been deemed the devil's most prominent trait." which would make me think the Devil is the god behind it all. However, since the Phantom thieves' whole shtick is rebelling against unjust authority it makes me think Arsene's final form will be Lucifer given how he has wings, horns and uses curse magic. That leads to the antagonist being the Archangels. The guy who shot Haru's father was blatantly Akechi. At this point i'm beginning to have doubts and wondering if they made it so obvious just to have a bait and switch and have it end up being Mishima, that guy seems to have issues. As for the traitor i thought for a moment that Haru would get the wrong idea after overhearing about the principle's death but she seems to be going along with it. It might be someone slipping up when getting interviewed, or if Sea is the next dungeon it would give an excuse for Akechi to join and immediately turn heel as he has a personal connection to her.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

CJ posted:

Well i'm coming up to the culture festival now so here's what i think.

The Futaba mom stuff was confirmed almost immediately after the last point i stopped. The fifth calling card mentioned greed and the fourth sloth, confirming the 7 deadly sins thing. Working from that it makes Kamoshida lust, the mafia guy i guess i gluttony in that he consumes wealth rather than hordes it like Haru's dad. I guess Madarame is envy out of what is left, in that he envied the talents of his students? In the interrogation scene it said that their next target was Sae, so i'm guessing she gets a bit zealous in coming after the Phantom Thieves which makes her wrath, and the bald guy is pride. I'm in two minds over this though. Quoting wikipedia "As pride has been labelled the father of all sins, it has been deemed the devil's most prominent trait." which would make me think the Devil is the god behind it all. However, since the Phantom thieves' whole shtick is rebelling against unjust authority it makes me think Arsene's final form will be Lucifer given how he has wings, horns and uses curse magic. That leads to the antagonist being the Archangels. The guy who shot Haru's father was blatantly Akechi. At this point i'm beginning to have doubts and wondering if they made it so obvious just to have a bait and switch and have it end up being Mishima, that guy seems to have issues. As for the traitor i thought for a moment that Haru would get the wrong idea after overhearing about the principle's death but she seems to be going along with it. It might be someone slipping up when getting interviewed, or if Sea is the next dungeon it would give an excuse for Akechi to join and immediately turn heel as he has a personal connection to her.

Yeah, keep it up these are interesting posts.
I don't really think this is a spoiler, but if you look at the Trophy list for the game it will tell you which sins the characters / palaces are supposed to represent. Some of them are a little mismatched though.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

CJ posted:

Ohya's just kind of a pain to level up, but if it seems like continuous fortune readings aren't doing anything, it might be that you're at a rank where you 'have' to hang out with her at least once before the game will let you progress to the next rank.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Recently I tried to fuse a bought Bicorn with something for the first boss..............

And immediately got the chainsaw event. :psyboom:

Rip. :(

The exact same thing happened to me after I had done all the prep work to create a persona for one of the twins higher ranks. It was a hell of a way to find out that it existed. :suicide:

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
Is there a good 100% Trophy guide floating around? I've seen some 100% ones but the ones I can read on mobile don't seem to make sure the trophies are all done too.

NG+ started. Persona with God's Hand resummoned. I feel so sorry for the entire first palace.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Irritated Goat posted:

Is there a good 100% Trophy guide floating around? I've seen some 100% ones but the ones I can read on mobile don't seem to make sure the trophies are all done too.

NG+ started. Persona with God's Hand resummoned. I feel so sorry for the entire first palace.

It's not a guide, but I did 100% completion. What are you having trouble with? I can offer advice

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Kaza42 posted:

It's not a guide, but I did 100% completion. What are you having trouble with? I can offer advice

It's not so much trouble but having something where I can say "Ok, spend time with Ryuji on 4/19, Ann on 4/20, Bath on 4/21 for Charm (if not maxed out)". It's more organization\time management than anything. I could use a full confidant list but then there's fishing\finishing the stats like Guts\the video games trophies I could miss.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
You have to do two playthroughs for everything anyways, and the 100% guide actually does get you all the books and video games and stuff. The only trophies it doesn't get is the fish and the ones that require the second playthrough.

Just plug the fish stuff in anywhere in the like 120 extra days you will have your second playthrough.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Irritated Goat posted:

It's not so much trouble but having something where I can say "Ok, spend time with Ryuji on 4/19, Ann on 4/20, Bath on 4/21 for Charm (if not maxed out)". It's more organization\time management than anything. I could use a full confidant list but then there's fishing\finishing the stats like Guts\the video games trophies I could miss.

If your social stats are already maxed out when you started the NG+, you will have so much time that you will be able to max everyone and do everything with months to spare. Even if they aren't, you have way less to raise this time around and you will have more than enough time even without optimization. Just don't forget to do the fishing minigame and pick up all the drinks before you stop going to school, since some unique drinks pop up in the school courtyard

For the fishing minigame, be sure to read the book to unlock focus. I caught the River Guardian in like... 3 trips? Maybe 4? It's way easier than it was in P4, don't worry about it

Beating the reaper is super easy if you use the despair trick, and not all that hard on a NG+ even if you don't. Secret boss is strong, but straightforward. Only gimmick is you have to beat them both on the same turn or they will raise each other with 50% health

Once you hit the endgame, just be sure to have a bunch of money saved up and then you can fuse every persona at once. The higher level you are, the less money you need for fusing high level personas

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Irritated Goat posted:

Your social stats carry over to new game plus so you will have ample free time. One thing to take note of is that you can't take books out the library after the 6th dungeon so you should all but one of them before that date. Other than that you can probably just do whatever. Unless you are wasting every day at the maid cafe it's pretty hard to gently caress up.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I thought it was weird that going to the Maid Cafe increased your Charm, I think it should subtract your Charm if anything.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I put 20 hours into this game back in May and am only now picking it back up. I absolutely adore it but it is SO drat dense with content I can never figure out exactly what all I can do and then what I should do. I spend so much time traipsing all over Tokyo just to see my options, and then have to traipse back to the thing I said "ok I'll do this" to. And THEN I'm getting more and more freedom and places to go. Jesus Christ how does anyone complete this game? In P3 and P4 I usually prioritized my dudes personality stuff and then focus on s links. That way when I'm on NG+ I can just have a blast ignoring all the other poo poo and hang with my bros and get more pet demons. So what the secret? How long do you goons spend on a given day just trying to figure out what to do? Is this just me?

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

chaosapiant posted:

I put 20 hours into this game back in May and am only now picking it back up. I absolutely adore it but it is SO drat dense with content I can never figure out exactly what all I can do and then what I should do. I spend so much time traipsing all over Tokyo just to see my options, and then have to traipse back to the thing I said "ok I'll do this" to. And THEN I'm getting more and more freedom and places to go. Jesus Christ how does anyone complete this game? In P3 and P4 I usually prioritized my dudes personality stuff and then focus on s links. That way when I'm on NG+ I can just have a blast ignoring all the other poo poo and hang with my bros and get more pet demons. So what the secret? How long do you goons spend on a given day just trying to figure out what to do? Is this just me?

It's much easier to max out the social links in this game compared to previous ones. I got them all to 10 with 2 weeks left without following a guide. There are three confidants that help a lot. Death allows you to buy SP regen charms at 7 allowing you to easily do palaces in 1 day. Temperance unlocks extra time slots on some school days and allows you to do stuff after going into a dungeon when maxed. Fortune allows you to pay 5k to give you 50% more social stats for activites you do that day and 10k to give credit towards levelling up social links so you can skip hanging out with people who aren't ready to level up. The only other thing is to get the free action skill points, kindness from feeding your plant every 2 weeks and juice from the subway every sunday. Other than that just try to do the actions that give a lot of notes like studying at the diner on a rainy day or bathhouse on mon/thurs.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Is the Let's Play takedown rule by Atlas still in effect?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They haven't officially announced they're stopping it, if that's what you're asking. But there's plenty of footage up of stuff past the cutoff, including the ending. If they were ever enforcing it, it doesn't seem like they are anymore, or at least not very strongly.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
I never heard of anyone being pursued for it, so I think the ban's only effect was to put the more cautious streamers off.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
They've definitely issued takedown notices in the past, no idea if they still are doing so. The real barrier is that it blocks off all the streaming support within the PS4 architecture.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Arist posted:

They haven't officially announced they're stopping it, if that's what you're asking. But there's plenty of footage up of stuff past the cutoff, including the ending. If they were ever enforcing it, it doesn't seem like they are anymore, or at least not very strongly.
Then could say, the Super Best Friends, be notified that they are free to continue their LP of Persona 5 (at least up to July)?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Then could say, the Super Best Friends, be notified that they are free to continue their LP of Persona 5 (at least up to July)?

Fundamentally nothing has changed, so if a streamer has previously decided that it's not worth the risk then there's no new reason for them to change their minds.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
http://personacentral.com/new-test-footage-persona-5-development/

For those who haven't seen it, according to a recent interview you were originally supposed to live together with Sae instead of Sojiro, which seems interesting but they're probably right that the situation would have been too cheesy and maybe a little too similar to living with Dojima in P4.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Item Getter posted:

http://personacentral.com/new-test-footage-persona-5-development/

For those who haven't seen it, according to a recent interview you were originally supposed to live together with Sae instead of Sojiro, which seems interesting but they're probably right that the situation would have been too cheesy and maybe a little too similar to living with Dojima in P4.
But then you'd've been able to romance Sae. :getin:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

That's pretty funny that not only did early concept art of Sae look like Katherine, they changed Katherine's hair to black and used her model in test builds.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Whose dumb idea was limiting electrocution to once per day? Now i can't use all these black items and i've been trying to get arms master onto Yoshitsune through gallows for the last hour.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

lovely poker hand posted:

Make sure to keep telling us your thoughts as the game progresses! I'd like to see you come back to this post after you've beaten the game and comment on what you did or didn't guess.

Ok, i finished last night.

I guess i was kind of right in that the archangels show up and Arsene turns in to a fallen angel? My family has never been religious so i don't know enough about mythology to know who the big dude at the end or Satanael is. I googled it and some said it's another name for Satan and some said it's a different guy so i dunno. I liked the take of it being willed in to existence by people wanting to give up the burden of making decisions for themselves though, that was cool.

For the Igor stuff, that was the first thing i thought back when i first heard his voice months ago, but finding out that his VA died was a good cover, and i completely forgot about it other than the point in Strength where they are wondering about the list. Unfortunately i got spoiled on him being fake at like the 22nd of December because i had finished all the social links and got all the achievements like reading the books and catching the fish and thought i might as well try and get all achievements. When i was looking in to whether that was possible because of the treasure demons i saw a comment about how awesome it was when he turned out to be an imposter and his original VA came back which was a bit of a bummer.

One thing i hated about the ending was the whole crowd cheering them on thing. I don't understand how phantom thieves needing the approval of people fits in. I thought they got over the whole seeking fame and approval thing after Okumura. It was weird that they went back to that at the end. The whole thing reminded me of that lovely episode of Doctor Who where he turns into Dobby the house elf and his companion visits everyone on the planet to tell them to cheer for him at the same time so he can turn back. It ruined the mood for the whole ending for me.

As for the traitor thing, i think it was a huge cop out. Having the game open with learning there's a traitor is a great hook, but Akechi was so obviously evil that it ruined it. Why make his arcana story gated like that? They didn't have a problem with locking you out of Nanako and Dojima's slinks early so i don't know why they had to make it obvious he was a bad guy from minute 1. It didn't help that he was excluded from all the promotional material about your party either. He wasn't even in the OP. I think the problem was corporate interests getting in the way, they probably didn't want people to get attached to a party member who turns bad. That's probably why they had constant fakeouts with characters dying but nope they are fine. Even the cat comes back after ascending to heaven or whatever. He has to stick around for the dancing games. The Ocean's 11 style twist around your capture was really badly executed as well. It could have been really cool if it was hidden and you could go back and see what you missed, but they just had all the scenes blurred out and muted which was just a lazy way to keep the player in the dark. The stuff with Akechi in Shido's palace was cool despite how dumb it all was. Him doing it all because he was his secret son was incredibly stupid but it was more interesting than not having that stuff given how predictable his character was up to that point. I don't know why my party was ready to forgive him though, he was a terrorist who murdered people for personal and political gain. I also hate cutscenes where characters die in ways that are easily preventable. Like dude i could have AoEd those 3 shadows down and cast Samarecarm on you no problem, not need for the sacrifice stuff.

One other thing, i think there were a few problems with the social link writing. A lot of them seemed to be a completely wasted opportunity. Like why is Makoto's devoted to her dumbass 'friend' rather than her learning to have a life for herself? Or Ann's devoted to just the random garbage she was doing that day and having no theme at all? Out of the party members i think Yusuke had the only one i liked, maybe the end of Haru's. Thinking about it maybe i just liked the aspect that they both found an adult who wasn't a complete piece of poo poo. The non-party member slinks were much better than P4 though, i especially like no-good Tora.

Overall, this game was 100x better than Persona 4, but i didn't come out of it depressed that it was over like i did with P4. I think this is because i didn't connect with the characters like i did in P4. They were likeable enough but apart from maybe Makoto i didn't come to see them as my virtual friends like i did with the whole P4 gang. I think another problem was that because i'm not Japanese i couldn't really relate to all the social commentary about their garbage society. A lot of it i was just reeling from the absurdity of stuff like it being near impossible to appeal a conviction and treating a rape preventor as a pariah. I think that's why i liked the first half more, the old loving over the young stuff was relatable given that it's extremely relevant in the UK at the moment. Despite all the problems i had with it, it's still my favourite single player game and i'm glad i spent 160 hours playing it.

CJ fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Sep 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
To address some of your points:

Around the time of Okumura's palace, the Thieves were effectively being controlled by the public; they went after Okumura simply because of the public poll. Here, they are doing what they set out to do in the first place: their actions in standing up to Igor are the pillar of strength for the public to take hope from. Instead of them being controlled by the public, they're helping the public and in turn the public helps them, like how they allow Sae to have a change of heart all by herself, and in return 'leave this world to the adults. We'll do a better job this time round to help you.' And the public's cognition that the Phantom Thieves can do it is what gives them the strength to fight back against a god.

Or you can just call it an anime power-up.

As for Akechi, the twist isn't that he's the traitor - anyone can easily see that. The twist is that the party knows. It's a subversion of the trope where you can clearly see the obvious trap, but have to just watch in frustration as the intrepid hero blindly walks into the trap and is oh no shocked at this betrayal!.

Regarding SLs, Makoto in particular. Remember that Makoto at the start of the game was a loner, separated from the rest of her peers by their cognition of her as the goody student council president that was just there to enforce the principal's will and only cared about getting a good recommendation. She was also so reckless that she endangered the party just to meet Kaneshiro. Her Confidant is showing her going above and beyond to help her peer and her friend and putting her smarts to actual good use by tricking Tsukasa. Her resolution at the end is what she wants to do, for the sake of other people, not just pleasing her sister. Having it just be 'Makoto figures out how to live her life all by herself' is literally what she was doing at the start of the game.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

CJ posted:

I don't know why my party was ready to forgive him though, he was a terrorist who murdered people for personal and political gain.[/spoiler]

The party doesn't forgive him though, their comments are about understanding where he's coming from and why he did what he did.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I liked the idea of the Akechi thing being the heist movie trope of "here's what really happened" but it doesn't work when the audience is meant to embody the heist leader and you have to literally mute scenes to keep the audience in the dark.

For the slinks, my view is that the party members social links should expand on the change in character that happens when their persona awakens. The persona awakens at the decisive moment that they choose to make a change, but putting it in to practice takes more effort than making that first decision.

Yusuke has the best social link out of the party in my opinion. His dungeon has his view of his mentor shattered, and with it his values and view of the world. His social link is about him rediscovering his values after being disillusioned and it does a good job of showing the hardships he goes through during this process. He comes out a more rounded person who has grown and finds a new mentor, which is pretty much the gold standard for what an slink should be. Just a shame his painting sucks.

Makoto is the best party member with the most well rounded and believable character. Despite that her slink drops the ball. Her character is about considering her own feelings and opinions about her life rather than doing what is expected of her. Her persona awakening is her reaching breaking point and becoming a rebel. From there the social link practically writes itself. It should be about rebelling against her structured life and going off the rails a bit, and eventually learning to have a healthy balance between her responsibilities and her social life. I thought that's where they were going when they introduced the idiot girl, that she was going to fall in with the wrong crowd. Instead it was about her trying to convince a fellow student to stop being an idiot. She didn't grow as a character at all except for playing an arcade game.

Ann's character is about her being viewed as a sexual object by others, and her awakening is the moment she decides not to be victimised and tells Kamoshida to gently caress off. Her social link should be about her coming to terms with her sexuality. There's a lot of stuff they could work with, dealing with people dismissing her because of her looks, possibly becoming hypersensitive about being objectified and taking it too far in innocuous circumstances, plus there's the whole angle of her being foreign and the way japanese people other her or maybe fetishise her. I don't think the slink stuff about her doing random stuff fit in to the theme of her character. That idea isn't out of place in the game, but it probably would have fit Ryuji or Haru better.

Ryuji has a huge chip on his shoulder when it come to authority. Quite rightfully, seeing how he was abused by a teacher and he doesn't have a father figure. I think that lead to him having a very childish world view. It was pretty cringey every time he started yelling about how much he hates adults. His social link was about a bunch of dumb drama with the track team that didn't really go anywhere. He decides he doesn't care about running any more because he's a phantom thief. The obvious problem with this is what happens if being a full time phantom thief doesn't work out, which ends up happening at the end of the game. His arc should have been about taking his future seriously and learning to deal with the chip on his shoulder. I would have liked to have seen him meet a good rolemodel/father figure so he could outgrow his childish 'gently caress all adults' view. That didn't happen and he spends the whole game whining about adults. At least he learns that being a phantom thief isn't about personal gain in the story. Also, i hated the forced drama between him and Morgana before the Okumura dungeon. I didn't see the point in that.

Futaba's character was about running away from your problems. I think the stuff leading up to and surrounding her dungeon was really well done, and the idea of helping her reintegrate into society in her social link is correct. The problem i have is after her dungeon arc finishes she becomes a cartoon character. When she's a NEET she's written really well but they completely fail to depict someone with social anxiety after that.

Haru is another character who was treated as an object whose awakening was about standing up for herself and considering her own feelings. This time it was about individuality over family responsibility. I think Japan has some weird family dynasty thing among upper class people. Like i've heard company presidents adopt people who work for them who they want to be their successor? I think her social link was ok, it continued her arc about discovering herself and deciding what she wanted to do with her life after rejecting her father selling her off. It had a nice ending with her finding an ally in that executive guy. I think the only problem was her arc was underdeveloped. From what i understand she was a relatively late edition to the game, so it's understandable but a bit disappointing. I wish we got more stuff involving her father leading up to the dungeon rather than spending the time on the Morgana subplot.

Morgana was an adequate companion character. I liked him well enough. Not much to say about his social link since there wasn't really one. He sure kept having those nightmares about mementos i guess. The subplot about him getting mad and leaving in September was really forced though. I don't know why he had an identity crisis over his value in the team when Ryuji, Ann and Yusuke were members and they all did far less than him.

The non-party social links were generally better than P4. I really liked no-good Tora because despite getting hosed by the system he stood by his beliefs, and was rather refreshing with his 'children are the future' message compared to just about everyone else in the game. Sojiro was another great link, i think he had the strongest character development in the game. Really glad i wasn't spoiled on Futaba being related to him. Mishima's had character development, but he was a pretty hatable character and i didn't like hanging around with him. The one i think they dropped the ball on was the doctor. It would have been great to have had some social commentary on not judging people by their looks and forcing people into a box based on their career, instead we got a boring plotline about how she wants to do a science to save a child.

One other thing, i wish you didn't get points for enabling the character flaws of slinks. It's not as bad as in the past but it really bothered me when i got 3 notes for praising Mishima or the Tower kid's lovely behavior.

CJ fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Ann's growth isn't about sexuality, it's about strength and dependability. She's coasted a fair bit on natural talent, but at the start of the game, makes some poor decisions on what she should do when the people she cares about are in danger. Her arc is figuring out how to support the people she relies on the most (Shiho and the MC), and her resolution to work hard and take things seriously so that she can be the support for a change when people need her. I don't think it's the most elegantly executed, but it kinda works, even if the path to get there is a bit rough.

And if you wanted what you described for Makoto's link, Yukiko's in P4 was something like that (and they're both Priestess Arcana). Not everybody has to go through a radical phase after their worldview gets shaken up, and having her do what you describe would be pretty dissonant with her roles in the story.

Morgana is very prideful, he likes being the one people rely on for things like navigation, which is why Ryuji is his favourite punching bag so he can get a sense of superiority. As his role in the party gets phased out, he feels less special and lashes out.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Sep 17, 2017

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Also you can't really say that Ryuji is "whining" about adults when every adult in his life, except probably his mother, was an abusive or enabling shitlord before he met the protagonist.

Ryuji's nitroglycerine temper was a genuine character flaw but his angst against society was legitimate.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Oxxidation posted:

Also you can't really say that Ryuji is "whining" about adults when every adult in his life, except probably his mother, was an abusive or enabling shitlord before he met the protagonist.

Ryuji's nitroglycerine temper was a genuine character flaw but his angst against society was legitimate.

It is understandable given his life experience but it is still a character flaw that should have been addressed in some way. I mean they couldn't because he is the most central character in the story after Makoto so it would have lead to a lot of dissonance if they gave him any character growth in his slink, that's just a fundamental flaw with the current system though.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
How is resentment of abusers a character flaw

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

Oxxidation posted:

How is resentment of abusers a character flaw

Because he isn't dealing with it well and it is having a negative effect on his life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I'd say that beating up bad people's brain-monsters is a pretty healthy way of working out his aggression.

The thing is that Ryuji's grievance against society isn't "childish" or "immature," it's just expressed like that because the guy doesn't make words very good. He's basically the group's moral compass because he's absolutely right - society is busted, corrupt and lovely adults are to blame, and no one will punish them unless the abused take matters into their own hands. Some people grumble about how it's a waste that the game never really questions the morality of the Phantom Thieves' actions, but I always liked how the game doesn't even try to cast aspersions on them (except through Akechi, who's always on the back foot in the debate).

The Phantom Thieves only really start to lose their way when they get too caught up in their fame, which again is shown most clearly by Ryuji himself starting to get more fixated on his popularity than the need to right wrongs. Accordingly, he's also the one who's hardest on himself when the consequences of that mistake come rolling in.