Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm happy they got rid of the washed out look of the E3 trailers and kept a nice sunny climate. And lol at anyone who preferred Geralt's pre-release face to his final mug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

there are so many lighting mods and camera mods and all kinds of e3 poo poo these days i dont know why they still care.

I mean, they're mods, so they don't really affect me, so who cares?

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah that choice was this thread's title for a while, because it really is a bit dumb.

Ahaha, guess it wasn't just me.

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
I'm doing a second playthrough and I'm trying to justify picking Djikstra over Roche since I did it reversed previously.

Someone talk me into it for the sake of variety.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Stumpus posted:

I'm doing a second playthrough and I'm trying to justify picking Djikstra over Roche since I did it reversed previously.

Nope, gently caress'im

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Stumpus posted:

Roche is a heartless bastard and the best/worst example of a Patriot, someone who will willingly throw people under the bus to serve his country if needs be. If you want to further justify it, play Witcher 2 and screw over Roche at every chance. (well, almost every chance. If you piss him off at the start of the game he'll just have Ves crossbow bolt you.)

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Stumpus posted:

I tried and failed on my second playthrough. Went with Djikstra and then reloaded because Geralt walking away while his friends get murdered felt all kinds of wrong, especially after they'd helped at KM. Even RPing as a politically neutral Geralt at that point doesn't make sense given the quest you just finished. I was also was going for a Ciri as empress ending and it would make me a pretty Bad Dad to side with the guy who plans to continue the war against Nilfgaard as opposed to the side that's negotiating a peace.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Stumpus posted:

Siding with Roche means Nilfgaard, an empire built on institutionalized slavery, takes control of the entire continent and Emhyr, a dude who spent most of Ciri's life terrorizing her, reigns supreme.

Djikstra is a massive dick but he doesn't give a poo poo about Ciri at least. He's also way more likely to push a realpolitik agenda that is more benevolent and progressive for the Northern Realms than whatever puppet rulers are installed under Nilfgaardian rule.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Megazver posted:

Well, there's also the fact that we hunt down and murder in real life anyone who says it's less than perfect. But, y'know, it's well justified, they loving deserve it.

C'mon, man! What's the first rule of the Witcher Enforcement Club?!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I'm doing a "pro dijkstra" trilogy playthrough now. The trick is to be a dick to Thaler when you can in W1, then pick the Iorveth path in W2. Then you won't feel so obliged to save them when Djikstra flips the script in W3.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Can't you kill Thaler in W1?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Hobo Clown posted:

Can't you kill Thaler in W1?

Yep! He still returns but, eh, easy enough to hand wave that.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I missed the kill radovid quest because Triss left Novigrad before I could get her help, and I missed the Eilhart quests entirely :shrug:

Stumpus
Dec 25, 2009
My big hangup was leaving a bro to die, bit I think I can justify it if he treated me poorly in the past and he supports Nilfgaard, my enemy and the people looking to puppet and use Ciri.

Further commendation of this game that I care enough about choices that I can feel bad.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wonder what exactly conquest by Nilfgaard entails. Because Touissant is an Imperial protectorate, except they keep their own government and aren't under mliitary occupation. The same deal seems to be offered to Temeria.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Stumpus posted:

I don't really care about Roche, but there is no way to justify killing Thaler.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arcsquad12 posted:

I do wonder what exactly conquest by Nilfgaard entails. Because Touissant is an Imperial protectorate, except they keep their own government and aren't under mliitary occupation. The same deal seems to be offered to Temeria.

I still think Nilfgaard is a better place than the North Radovid or Djikstra seek to revive, the difference between slavery and the serfdom of Northern kingdoms seems to be academic at most as far as the vast majority of people is concerned, and I don't really recall slavery being mentioned as particularly prevalent. Also they at least tolerate non-humans.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Are there slaves in W3? I seriously didn't notice any.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
There are 'captives' dancing in the inns in Skellige.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Stumpus posted:

You need to take a big step from the game and look at the characters analytically. Dijkstra is a funny sarcastic bastard who makes me laugh every other line, whereas Roche is barely present during W3 as is Thaler after that quest where you meet him.
Also helps if you read the books.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
thaler is the best gwent card so always side with him imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

No Wave posted:

Are there slaves in W3? I seriously didn't notice any.

The dwarf who serves the nilfgaardian mother searching for her son in Velen is a slave according to CDPR. An indentured servant who cannot buy their way out of service is still a slave.

As for Skellige, the only person who gives a poo poo about it and making a true monarchy instead of barbaric clans is Svenrige.

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013
Thaler, Roche and Co hosed the north for one realm questionable sovereignty, as Dikjstra said. Dijkstra may not be perfect but at least he's not in bed with Nilfgaard, trying to sell the rest of the north down the river like lickspittle Roche. In my opinion I can't see a hope in hell for Temeria in that future being free. Once Nilfs have pacified Redania they'll likely finish the job on turncoat Roche and Temeria.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Reality Winner posted:

There are 'captives' dancing in the inns in Skellige.

They also mention thralls at leas on one occasion IIRC, and thralls were Germanic slaves.

Savy Saracen salad posted:

Thaler, Roche and Co hosed the north for one realm questionable sovereignty, as Dikjstra said. Dijkstra may not be perfect but at least he's not in bed with Nilfgaard, trying to sell the rest of the north down the river like lickspittle Roche. In my opinion I can't see a hope in hell for Temeria in that future being free. Once Nilfs have pacified Redania they'll likely finish the job on turncoat Roche and Temeria.

But what is the difference between a North ruled by hegemonous Redania, or heg. Nilfgaard. Either way the only difference is which noble houses are willing to pledge fealty to the particular king / emperor. Roche and Thaler may have hosed over the North, but North in this case is just a couple of aristocrats. Neither side seeks freedom for the people of the lands they conquer. Nilfgaard in this case is at fault for bringing war to the North, which is undeniable, not for uprooting some sort of superior Northern customs.

steinrokkan fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 8, 2017

Savy Saracen salad
Oct 15, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

They also mention thralls at leas on one occasion IIRC, and thralls were Germanic slaves.

But what is the difference between a North ruled by hegemonous Redania, or heg. Nilfgaard. Either way the only difference is which noble houses are willing to pledge fealty to the particular king / emperor. Roche and Thaler may have hosed over the North, but North in this case is just a couple of aristocrats. Neither side seeks freedom for the people of the lands they conquer. Nilfgaard in this case is at fault for bringing war to the North, which is undeniable, not for uprooting some sort of superior Northern customs.

TW2 and Sapkowski's work consistently portrayed Nilfs as a harsh, totalistic foreign aggressor. The game conveniently neglected to truly emphasize the drawbacks and cruel idiosyncrasies of authoritarian Nilfgaardian rule, e.g. slavery and severe corporal punishment. It's down to the point where Nilfgaardians seem like implacable but ultimately righteous bringers of civilization and order... Or perhaps Radovid's draconian rule over Redania has the effect of making them look better in comparison.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Nilf seems to serve a different narrative purpose in W3. They're a wealthy, extremely capitalist society that stands in contrast to the more traditional societies that can't match its ruthless efficiency. Even Emhyr is powerless to keep his throne when the money men want to depose him. It definitely seems like a departure from the books, just like Triss being a normal nice lady.

What's truly being threatened by Nilfgaard are ways of life and social orders that Geralt and his pals were never a part of anyways.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 8, 2017

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I must have missed the part where Nilfgaard had press ganged all of Velen into work camps to build siege equipment and killed anyone who disobeyed. Oh sure you'll get paid a pittance but that is little justification.

I feel like a lot of people are going to point to the captain in white orchard as an example of good Nilfgaardians, but that little story ended with him whipping a man for providing poor grain.

Nilfgaard in 3 is the lesser of two assholes, and only then because radovid would be even worse. Plus nobody in the north except Geralt's associates knows that the Empire was ultimately responsible for the regicides. And they don't go after Geralt because they don't know he knows, just that Letho needed to die. If that was common knowledge then the commoners would not be nearly as subservient.

Instead they'd all be dead. Because whether nilfgaard is better or worse than the north, they instigated three devastating wars and the people who want the least to do with kingdoms and royalty are the ones to suffer hardest.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Sep 8, 2017

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Though W2 starts with the northern king we are supposed to like leading a pointless war just so he can mack on his sister some more or whatever, so again it's not like they are that much different in the throwing lives away department.

None is arguing that nilfgard is good (I hope), but if the emperor came over and the northern kings just handed over their crowns without a fight - not much would have changed for the commoners and peasant classes, right?

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 8, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Got to the start of chapter 3 in Witcher 1, but discovered that some of the quests expired after chapter 2 so I guess I'll reload. I don't really care about the fetch quest bullshit like "bring 10 drowned dead asses to Siegfried" (although I might as well turn that in since I do have the stuff), but Shani's party looks like it might be pretty fun and I don't want to miss out on that.

Despite the fact I didn't do the quest, the game seems to assume Geralt did go to the party anyway and had sexy times with Shani. When I ran into her in chapter 3 she was really upset about Geralt waking up at Triss' place and then demanded a kiss after Geralt explained himself, even though there's not supposed to be anything going on between them in my game at this point..

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

I just started a new playthrough of the game (original playthrough clocked in at a total 320 something hours after expansions loving christ almighty). My one regret from how my original story ended is I hosed up and let Radovid win, mainly because I didn't know about that Dikstra choice until too late (Which I guess is a common thing, reading these posts).

Honestly, not having read the books, I find it hard to get too riled up at Nilfgaard in the game. I mean, obviously they're brutal imperalist dickheads but at least they don't seem to be some combination of race supremacists, terrorists, or loving insane. At first I found myself leaning towards Roche but once I started looking into him more and what his cause was all about I was like ew, nah man. I kind of came out of it finding Nilfgaard pretty comfortably the least monstrous of what I saw as the three factions. Is there more to their regime in the books that I'm not seeing that paints them worse than Radovid's crew or whatever weird pseudo-New Confederate poo poo Roche is about?

I've started listening to the audiobook of the Last Wish but Geralt being voiced by this nebbish British dude and not the gruff grizzled weirdo I know and love keeps taking me out of it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
If I select the polish language option from the Steam properties tab, and download the polski audio, will I have to redownload the English audio if I switch back?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

The main thing against nilfgard is that they practice slavery, or indebted servitude as they refer to it. Which yea, bad and super gross, but then so is medieval feudalism. I think the former just gets a stronger reaction from people because it's a more recent issue.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Sep 9, 2017

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Arcsquad12 posted:

If I select the polish language option from the Steam properties tab, and download the polski audio, will I have to redownload the English audio if I switch back?
No, you can just select it in the options menu.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Avalerion posted:

The main thing against nilfgard is that they practice slavery, or indebted servitude as they refer to it. Which yea, bad and super gross, but then so is medieval feudalism. I think the former just gets a stronger reaction from people because it's a more recent issue.

Is the Nilfgaardian slave model closer to the USA version of slavery or the Egyptian style "I need an expensive human decoration to hold up my palm leaves while the off season farmers build pyramids in exchange for beer"?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I'm not all that versed in either history or witcher lore to answer that to be honest. I don't think any of it comes up in the actual games either.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Indentured servitude isn't really slavery the way we think about it happening in the US or ancient Egypt. You're supposed to work to pay off some kind of debt, after which you are free. It's still a hosed up system but it's not quite "I own you for life and any children you ever produce".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
It's irrelevant anyway, because Dijkstra reforms Northern society, if the industrial revolution he's after succeeds then slavery in both empires would likely be short lived.

That's honestly the world I hope they explore next. A witcher dealing with a non-feudal society.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It's irrelevant anyway, because Dijkstra reforms Northern society, if the industrial revolution he's after succeeds then slavery in both empires would likely be short lived.

That's honestly the world I hope they explore next. A witcher dealing with a non-feudal society.

Like a futuristic blade runner esq cybernetic dystopia? Cause if so I got good news for ya.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

attackmole posted:

Finally beat the main quest, dope as hell.

Kinda bummed out that in my end game Radovid's still the king and still going around burning people. I was a little confused that the assassination plans for Radovid never went anywhere and that I never heard about it again after doing the mission where you find Thaler. Then I looked it up and apparently the mission where you assassinate him never triggers if you push Djikstra out of the way while nabbing Philippa. Oopsie.

That's uh, one of the more understated dialog choices. I think you select it as [push him out of the way] or something like that. Then you punch him in the face and snap his leg instead. I enjoyed it, but uh, didn't quite expect that. Or think it would lead to dwarf genocide.

The text is [Push Djikstra. Hard.] It seems kinda obvious.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Sep 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
Wow, 60 hours into the game and while upgrading a new ability, I just randomly found out that mutagens increase in power if you have corresponding colours next to them.

I'm playing on Death March too, so that +15% signs and weapon power will help alot. :v:

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 9, 2017