Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Pope Guilty posted:

Which game has a mediocre system that serves only as an excuse to sell it as a game rather than as an art book?

Eoris Essence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Uhhhh Exalted 3E had bad art and good mechanics

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I bought Dragonomicon for 3.5 and even though I never used the poo poo on it it had some insanely sweet loving drawings of dragons

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's kinda depressing to think that the Dark Souls "git gud" mindset is that old.

This is dumb. Dark Souls doesn't make you fill out forms for an hour when your character dies, you just go back to the last checkpoint and try again.

e: If anything I'd like to see a game where character creation and the penalties for dying are tuned such that running killer GM creatures and traps is perfectly acceptable design.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Sep 8, 2017

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

e: If anything I'd like to see a game where character creation and the penalties for dying are tuned such that running killer GM creatures and traps is perfectly acceptable design.
Paranoia, where each player gets six identical replacement clones for their character, chargen is simple, and it really doesn't matter what your stats or skills are, you're hosed whatever you choose, does this pretty well.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

LuiCypher posted:

There are probably way too many RPGs that fall into that category. Certainly not many Apoc Engine games, though.

Broken World?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Isn't this strait up what Dungeon Crawl Classics is all about?

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Magnusth posted:

Broken World?

Yeah, that is some good art. I was mainly thinking of World Wide Wrestling and certain parts of The Sprawl (like the playbooks), because they really use a lot of that black-and-white art that's not... great, but it can never be as bad as Cyberpunk 2020 3e art.

For those who forgot:

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You might say that certain Lamentations of the Flame Princess modules have a lot of penalties for just living, so running killer GM creatures and traps is perfectly acceptable design because that means you can stop playing it a lot sooner.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!

LuiCypher posted:

You might say that certain Lamentations of the Flame Princess modules have a lot of penalties for just living, so running killer GM creatures and traps is perfectly acceptable design because that means you can stop playing it a lot sooner.

Lamentations of the Flame Princess is a penalty for living.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Fragged Aeternum (an upcoming Fragged Empire expansion) is based on the Soulsborne series of games and even touts that PC deaths and TPKs are not only expected, but encouraged, since PCs are immortal anyway.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

LuiCypher posted:

Yeah, that is some good art. I was mainly thinking of World Wide Wrestling and certain parts of The Sprawl (like the playbooks), because they really use a lot of that black-and-white art that's not... great, but it can never be as bad as Cyberpunk 2020 3e art.

For those who forgot:

Holy poo poo, how did this happen?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Uhhhh Exalted 3E had bad art and good mechanics

However "delayed for years and subject to feature creep" would describe both Cuphead and Ex3, so I'll allow it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

LuiCypher posted:

For those who forgot:

I really want to see Cyberpunk 3.0 F&F'd. I'd do it, but I feel like someone should do the whole line, and I've never played CP2020.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Haystack posted:

Isn't this strait up what Dungeon Crawl Classics is all about?

Yes

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

You can play Basic D&D exactly like that, with a player's next character showing up as soon as they finish making it, which should mean "within the next 5 minutes of real time".

What my old group does with high-lethality one or two session games is to use BECMI basic, and have the dungeon only accept <n_players> PCs at a time (a wizard made it like that). There's a pile of pregen characters (single sided A5 sheets) face down on the table. Everyone grabs the first one off the pile and writes a name on it. If your PC dies, you grab the next one off the pile and enter the dungeon. Players lose if the pregen pile runs out before they beat the end boss. Optional rule: When your PC dies, finish your beer. Edit: You gain xp as soon as a fight is over or a treasure is looted, and level up on the spot when your number reaches the threshold.

I would love something with that exact setup (kick door, players rush in, replacements/reinforcements wait outside) with modern design that retained Basic's simplicity.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 9, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I was gonna say, Basic's where it's at.

Torchbearer is probably closest to what you're talking about. It's more complicated than Basic in some ways, I suppose, but it also abstracts everything that Basic would have you measure out.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I love torchbearer, but I can't see it doing the same kind of "Frank Fighter the Fourth was eaten by carrion crawlers after Resurrection Joe the cleric failed to save him, can his replacement Fhalfling the Female Halfling do any better?" thing that Basic does.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Serf posted:

I've always thought of cursed items as like things that get used in some horrible way and then become cursed because of it. Like maybe someone kills their brother with a sword and now that sword is cursed.

the deadly needle was used in so many fashion crimes it developed a sinister sentience of its own.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

This is dumb. Dark Souls doesn't make you fill out forms for an hour when your character dies, you just go back to the last checkpoint and try again.

To bring this back to Gygax, it did work back in the day because making a character was 3d6 down-the-line with no modifiers and details, so you could make a new character in about 5 minutes once you got the process down.

AlphaDog's experience with Basic D&D mirrors this: there are actually stat modifiers to be derived by the time you get to Basic, but they're all standardized, and stat generation is still 3d6-down-the-line, and there still aren't any feats or skills and poo poo.

And while AD&D was complex enough that making a character took considerably longer, Tomb of Horrors came with a bunch of pregen characters, so you can/should run with those.

AlphaDog posted:

What my old group does with high-lethality one or two session games is to use BECMI basic, and have the dungeon only accept <n_players> PCs at a time (a wizard made it like that). There's a pile of pregen characters (single sided A5 sheets) face down on the table. Everyone grabs the first one off the pile and writes a name on it. If your PC dies, you grab the next one off the pile and enter the dungeon. Players lose if the pregen pile runs out before they beat the end boss.

"You lose once you lose too many heroes" is the Darkest Dungeon loss condition and it's kinda cool that your group kinda got to the same conclusion probably before DD was a twinkle in the devs's eye.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

gradenko_2000 posted:

To bring this back to Gygax, it did work back in the day because making a character was 3d6 down-the-line with no modifiers and details, so you could make a new character in about 5 minutes once you got the process down.

AlphaDog's experience with Basic D&D mirrors this: there are actually stat modifiers to be derived by the time you get to Basic, but they're all standardized, and stat generation is still 3d6-down-the-line, and there still aren't any feats or skills and poo poo.

And while AD&D was complex enough that making a character took considerably longer, Tomb of Horrors came with a bunch of pregen characters, so you can/should run with those.

Character creation in AD&D (1st ed, PHB only) doesn't take that much longer than Basic when you've got the hang of it. 10-20 minutes maybe. Compared to 3rd ed and later there's not many choices to make - You just go "I'm gonna be <class>", then make your rolls, arrange your numbers, pick a complementary race, and pick equipment (which is where the time sink usually is for a 1st level character). If the DM says "an adventurer's pack has <stuff>, you get that plus your armor and weapons", that knocks off a significant amount of time. Or yeah, use pregens.

But yeah, that's how that very lethal kind of play works - where there's practically no time/effort penalty to losing a PC. If people are legit taking 1-2 hours to make a PC, then gently caress no it won't work.

gradenko_2000 posted:

"You lose once you lose too many heroes" is the Darkest Dungeon loss condition and it's kinda cool that your group kinda got to the same conclusion probably before DD was a twinkle in the devs's eye.

Yeah, there needs to be a point at which the players collectively lose in that kind of game because otherwise the most effective thing is the Zap Brannigan "wave after wave of my own men" thing, which is fun once.

e: Again, talking about a few sessions of raiding the one dungeon that has an ending. It's a very specific kind of play, and it doesn't transfer to the thing with a group of heroes going on a series of continuing adventures. It kind of developed out of my very early D&D experience, where given that I was a kid and had only the red box and no way of getting books on my own, level 3 characters would retire after they made it to the end of whatever adventure they were currently on. Point is, nothing I'm talking about should be taken as meaning "it'd be fun to drop a level 1 character into an ongoing game full of level 10 dudes", "it'd be cool and good to no-warning kill someone's level 8 PC that they've played for a year", or "this style of play will work in all versions of D&D".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Sep 9, 2017

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Degenesis is a really goddamn pretty book.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure there were and are people enjoying that kind of play, but it was never a majority. More often people essentially run AD&D as Basic with a race/class split and treating half the book as optional add-ons.

Gary lost touch with his fanbase very, very quickly. There's an anecdote about him taking a module to a convention and TPKing every single group he played with, because they assumed a mysterious portal in the dungeon must be a gateway to adventure and not a pointless instant death trap.

Honestly i'm pretty sure that this was a mistake on his part even. If i recall he'd played so much with one static group for so long he had to keep upping the challenge as they gained knowledge of all his tricks and he just didn't back down from it when running the convention game.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

The problem was always that someone who learned to play RPGs via that adversarial DM stuff that Gygax sort of organically came to was hell to play with in any other sort of game, and in fact in general, since mastery of that style was basically learning to avoid doing anything and try to wheedle other people into dying instead.

Ain't a person in the thread that hasn't sat at a table with some guy that would spend 10 minutes laying out endless layered contigency defenses (10 foot pole, floating off the ground, averting my eyes, throw a chicken at it, throw flour in the air, blah blah blah) before opening some innocuous goddamn chest. And it's not like they're being original. It's 10 minutes of call and response they learned from someone that dates back to 1977. Might as well have to stop the game and play Freebird whenever a chest is encountered for all the actual originality that is on display during those poo poo shows.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Slimnoid posted:

Fragged Aeternum (an upcoming Fragged Empire expansion) is based on the Soulsborne series of games and even touts that PC deaths and TPKs are not only expected, but encouraged, since PCs are immortal anyway.

Yeah. I always had a notion for a dungeon / underworld sort of game where when people die, they just become ghosts and can help the party out in other ways until they get back to the town where they can be returned to their bodies. You know, like Ghostwalk, only good?

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
[quote="theironjef" post="476218679"]
Ain't a person in the thread that hasn't sat at a table with some guy that would spend 10 minutes laying out endless layered contigency defenses (10 foot pole, floating off the ground, averting my eyes, throw a chicken at it, throw flour in the air, blah blah blah) before opening some innocuous goddamn chest. And it's not like they're being original. It's 10 minutes of call and response they learned from someone that dates back to 1977. Might as well have to stop the game and play Freebird whenever a chest is encountered for all the actual originality that is on display during those poo poo shows.

I have read more than a few sandbox forum campaign threads where the PCs roleplay for about six pages, set off into the wilderness, and are all killed by giant crabs or whatever. They then congratulate each other, make new characters, roleplay for six pages, and are killed by giant crabs again. It's like, cool, but who has time for that? Gonna be dead of old page before a character gets past 4th level...

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

dwarf74 posted:

When one dude vanishes completely and the other sticks around, I'd say this is an unlikely assertion.

He didn't stick around. He gave the Kickstarter over to the Savage Mojo people and went back to college.

Plutonis posted:

I bought Dragonomicon for 3.5 and even though I never used the poo poo on it it had some insanely sweet loving drawings of dragons

Todd Lockwood can draw some excellent dragons. He's also the dude who drew the Niv-Mizzet card art.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 9, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I got a number of books for $1 each at a flea market recently, and was delighted to be reminded this cover exists:

It makes me wonder about so many questions, though. Did SJ Games actually commission this? Did they get a preexisting piece of art? Ice cream isn't poison for aliens, I hope?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Elfgames posted:

Honestly i'm pretty sure that this was a mistake on his part even. If i recall he'd played so much with one static group for so long he had to keep upping the challenge as they gained knowledge of all his tricks and he just didn't back down from it when running the convention game.
There's tons of stuff in early D&D that is the product of an arms race between the DM and "player skill," that's best resolved by just having clear rules and adult communication.

Like, the answer to players listening at every door and prodding everything with a stick is not killer ear worms, but a simple perception roll. And the answer to an overpowered piece of gear is not a rust monster, but just saying "I made that too powerful. Let's scale it back."

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

gradenko_2000 posted:

I thought System Mastery found that no published version of D&D, not even first, used 3d6 down the line. Or is this even older than that?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Halloween Jack posted:

There's tons of stuff in early D&D that is the product of an arms race between the DM and "player skill," that's best resolved by just having clear rules and adult communication.

Like, the answer to players listening at every door and prodding everything with a stick is not killer ear worms, but a simple perception roll. And the answer to an overpowered piece of gear is not a rust monster, but just saying "I made that too powerful. Let's scale it back."

The problem is that leads straight to the "action abstraction" arguments. If there's a pressure plate poking it with a stick should find it. Poking everywhere in front of me with a stick, hard, should preemptively find that. So if I roll low on Perception did my character not think to do that, although the player did?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

I thought System Mastery found that no published version of D&D, not even first, used 3d6 down the line. Or is this even older than that?

1st edition AD&D doesn't. Original Dungeons and Dragons and Basic do.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I got a number of books for $1 each at a flea market recently, and was delighted to be reminded this cover exists:

It makes me wonder about so many questions, though. Did SJ Games actually commission this? Did they get a preexisting piece of art? Ice cream isn't poison for aliens, I hope?

It's a piece ubiquitous fantasy artist Michael Whelan originally made for the cover of an Alan Dean Foster paperback. I assume it was commissioned by Del Rey/Random House.

The guy in the center is Whelan.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

hyphz posted:

The problem is that leads straight to the "action abstraction" arguments. If there's a pressure plate poking it with a stick should find it. Poking everywhere in front of me with a stick, hard, should preemptively find that. So if I roll low on Perception did my character not think to do that, although the player did?
You didn't press it hard enough, or in the right spot, or from the right angle, or whatever the gently caress. The problem is that having a million and one contingencies and SOPs and if-then statements ends up tacitly avoiding the whole "playing the game" element of playing the game. It wraps right back into the proper response from both sides being "have an at least semi-mature conversation like a group of adults about game expectations and enjoyable styles of play" rather than having the PCs running dungeon_crawl_tunnel.bat and the DM returning exception37.exe in some mutant tabletop recreation of Progress Quest.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Now I want a RPG sourcebook with that Dune cover illustration that got reused for The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
I mean, Bruce Pennington still licenses out his old work.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

hyphz posted:

What's weird to me is that wandering monster tables were a thing, so time pressure was a baked-in aspect of the game. Having a ticking timer which accelerated every time you looked hard seems like an obvious progression. Do you trust to the dice or do you take 10 and add a tick to the timer or do you take 20 and pretty much guarantee a patrol of skeletons to the face?

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Is Mousguard a good game for kids who've never played a tabletop RPG? Ages 6 - 11. Or would No thank you Evil be a better starting point?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Mouse Guard is good. You can even show the kids the comics first to get them into it. Kids 6-10 should be able to get it. Kids are generally pretty good at learning game rules, I've found.

I don't know anything about NTYE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
is there any rpg out there where traps contribute to rather than detract from the game

I'm curious because they're so ubiquitous and so consistently bad. even modernish crpgs have them turn up

• Locked thread