Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

BioEnchanted posted:

Not so much a movie thing specifically but I hate when characters try to trick the one character who it has been established is the smartest character in the story, like in series 3 of Gotham with Penguin murdering Nigma's new girlfriend. Nigmas not only a genius, he is a puzzle aficionado with an obsessive streak ten times longer than he is tall. Everything is a riddle to him - he cannot turn it off! Does Oswald really think he won't figure it out? Sure currently he's on the wrong track, but as soon as he spots one little thing off about his theory, it will be revised, and he will find him out.

Penguin's not exactly the most rational of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

EmmyOk posted:

Oh man that's pretty insightful and let me just say cool of you to say. Just wanna say thanks. learned a lot here and heck still a lot let to learn!

I watched Arrival recently and I'll have to give it a time and a couple of rewatches but I think it'll end up as one of my favourite films. I thought it had one really weak moment though that stuck out a lot because it was such bad film making in a pretty great film. About halfway through the film there's a timeskip of a couple of months and during that we see a few scenes of characters moving around while one of the main character narrates what happens over that time period. Pretty much at no point in your film should you need to have a character narrate through events like that and it was especially jarring as the first half of the film was so well done. I think they could have bridged the space of time much more seamlessly just by changing a few lines in a couple of conversations.

I'm pretty alright with that framing. It was either that or expositional dialogue that might be too clunky or clash with the "twist"; but this is the irrational movie moment thread so it's cool to be irritated by that.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I think they could have adapted one of the existing scenes so they show the aliens a simple symbol and then get an expected symbol in response. Then you can just cut to Louise talking to Colonel Weber saying "in the last few months we've gone from..." as opposed to needing Jeremy Renner narrating for two minutes and then the scene with Louise and Weber.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Abbott is death process :(

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Every time I think about Lucas, I think about that tiny, never on the radar, loving fairy movie he did. Seriously, fairy princess and poo poo. Strange Magic. It....wasn't that bad for being what it was. That said if it had come out with a bang before Frozen, it might be remembered still for the love potion is mind control idea/fairy princes are loving assholes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Oh man that's pretty insightful and let me just say cool of you to say. Just wanna say thanks. learned a lot here and heck still a lot let to learn!

I watched Arrival recently and I'll have to give it a time and a couple of rewatches but I think it'll end up as one of my favourite films. I thought it had one really weak moment though that stuck out a lot because it was such bad film making in a pretty great film. About halfway through the film there's a timeskip of a couple of months and during that we see a few scenes of characters moving around while one of the main character narrates what happens over that time period. Pretty much at no point in your film should you need to have a character narrate through events like that and it was especially jarring as the first half of the film was so well done. I think they could have bridged the space of time much more seamlessly just by changing a few lines in a couple of conversations.

If you like the movie I would recommend the short story it was based on "The Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang. The biggest differences between the two is that the short story is much more low key with no military subplot at all and the whole time viewing thing is more integrated into the story as from the start the main character alternates talking about the aliens and her daughter's life.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fil5000 posted:

Almost everyone in an imperial navy uniform, the emperor, a bunch more that I can't immediately think of. There, she's the emperors secret kid. Done.

I actually read a clickbait headline called "this fan theory proves Rey is the Emperor's daughter" a few months ago so that's already been solved for awhile.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Fil5000 posted:

Almost everyone in an imperial navy uniform, the emperor, a bunch more that I can't immediately think of. There, she's the emperors secret kid. Done.

TenCentFang posted:

Leia did, sometimes.

To nerd for a bit here, it seems implied that the British accent is the 'posh' human accent of the Star Wars galaxy, associated with Coruscant and the Senate. Leia's accent switches because she's used to fitting in with polite diplomatic society.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

I think the way the internet treats 'fan theories' is wierd, but i'm generally in favor of people engaging with things they like by thinking about it and sharing those thoughts with others. That is fun, good, and cool.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I think the reason for the narration montage in Arrival was to cut down the length of the film, as it was 3 hours long in its work-print version.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Inescapable Duck posted:

To nerd for a bit here, it seems implied that the British accent is the 'posh' human accent of the Star Wars galaxy, associated with Coruscant and the Senate. Leia's accent switches because she's used to fitting in with polite diplomatic society.

The reason the Imperials all had British accents is because the Death Star scenes were filmed in England. So they used British actors.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Magnusth posted:

I think the way the internet treats 'fan theories' is wierd, but i'm generally in favor of people engaging with things they like by thinking about it and sharing those thoughts with others. That is fun, good, and cool.

I think it's exasperation that fan theories are rarely particularly clever and tend to retread the same grounds of rehashing earlier ideas from the franchise, or the age old "its all a dream/hallucination/purgatory."

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

TaurusTorus posted:

Obi-Wan had some sperm frozen, clearly.

In carbonite, gotta keep the continuity.

Not just some carbonite, but the same carbonite that Han Solo was frozen in. There is an amazing story involving at least one set piece and several lazer swords that will seamlessly show how it all fits together.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

RagnarokAngel posted:

I think it's exasperation that fan theories are rarely particularly clever and tend to retread the same grounds of rehashing earlier ideas from the franchise, or the age old "its all a dream/hallucination/purgatory."

Fan theories are fun when they actually genuinely add something and make thinking about a work more interesting, the bad ones are the ones that basically invalidate any investment in it beyond a point.

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Fan theories are fun when they actually genuinely add something and make thinking about a work more interesting, the bad ones are the ones that basically invalidate any investment in it beyond a point.

Literally any work of fiction: "OK BUT WHAT IF IT WAS ALL IN [main character's] HEAD??"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

muscles like this! posted:

The reason the Imperials all had British accents is because the Death Star scenes were filmed in England. So they used British actors.

This is a good example for the real world explanation being far less interesting than the literary interpretation.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

Leia's accent switches because she's used to fitting in with polite diplomatic society.

This is basically what happened. Fisher trained in the UK, and unintentionally went massively posh for the haughty put down of Tarkin. I think it was intended for her to do the film in her native accent until then.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
I swear I read somewhere once an interview with someone attatched to the original films (not someone big like Lucas, but a lesser producer or such) that said they were required to use a certain number of British actors due to untion rules while filming in UK. So they ended up making them all be the villains out of spite. I really hope that story is true.

I do like the idea that it's the accent of the posh society though. One thing I really hate about Lucas/Star Wars canon is that Lucas makes flippant and silly comments in interviews and then somehow it gets turned into canonical information. Obi Wan is originally from Stewjon. Why? Because Jon Stewart asked him which planet Obi Wan came from. Wookiepedia and other Star Wars sources officially consider him from Stewjon now. That's just loving stupid.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

In the new It movie there's a scene where a red Balloon floats across the library into another room, only the fat kid notices this balloon through, despite the fact it passes right in front of two adults, sure they were reading but nobodies cone of vision is that bad, they don't even glance at the bright red thing streaking across from them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Pixeltendo posted:

In the new It movie there's a scene where a red Balloon floats across the library into another room, only the fat kid notices this balloon through, despite the fact it passes right in front of two adults, sure they were reading but nobodies cone of vision is that bad, they don't even glance at the bright red thing streaking across from them.

I haven't read It in forever but I figure Pennywise is only visible to people he wants to see him.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Henchman of Santa posted:

I haven't read It in forever but I figure Pennywise is only visible to people he wants to see him.

Yeah, it's a lot more blatant in the older movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZnaPlPoQk0

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I've no idea how well it's presented in the new movie but yeah, adults not seeing the horrible things going on with kids is one of the big themes in IT.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah that was one of the major focal points in the original movie, and maybe the book but it's been like two decades since I read that. Pennywise is only seen by people he wants to be seen by.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lemon posted:

I've no idea how well it's presented in the new movie but yeah, adults not seeing the horrible things going on with kids is one of the big themes in IT.

Yeah, the blood in the bathroom scene has the same thing happen.

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo
Although when blood splashes on people's faces in the original movie you can clearly tell they're flinching. Understandably so, it'd have been difficult to get around, but like, why did they even do that in the first place then?

Gitro
May 29, 2013
Hello disturbed/anxious man, I am going to hand you some water by shoving the cup in your face, in front of the magazine you're reading, without announcing myself.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, it's a lot more blatant in the older movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZnaPlPoQk0

Haha, I just noticed the "The Glowing" poster in the background. :v:

ianmacdo
Oct 30, 2012
In valerian, in the middle section they are both wearing fancy space suits. The guy turns on turbo boost and can then run through steel walls. Later the lady is captured, while still wearing the same kind of suit and she didn't use it to escape a wicker basket or an alien hut.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ianmacdo posted:

In valerian, in the middle section they are both wearing fancy space suits. The guy turns on turbo boost and can then run through steel walls. Later the lady is captured, while still wearing the same kind of suit and she didn't use it to escape a wicker basket or an alien hut.

He also bashes through the walls leading to the underwater city and they never show or acknowledge that he flooded and probably killed a bunch of people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Pixeltendo posted:

I haven't seen the new film yet but in the book and TV film adults literally can't see any of the stuff Pennywise does.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ianmacdo posted:

Valerian is 2 hours of rationally irritating moments

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Say goodbye to your "there's the force and the dark side" theories folks, I've read a few Star Wars books to my under two year old daughter and since they're aimed at very young kids it literally has lines like "the Rebels are GOOD and the Empire is BAD" (yes, with that capitalization).

TenCentFang
Sep 5, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

MysticalMachineGun posted:

Say goodbye to your "there's the force and the dark side" theories folks, I've read a few Star Wars books to my under two year old daughter and since they're aimed at very young kids it literally has lines like "the Rebels are GOOD and the Empire is BAD" (yes, with that capitalization).

The expanded universe, even before Disney, really ran with the Light Side stuff because there wasn't really enough information about the Jedi in the films to get a good idea of what they were actually like. Also, the "balance" wording doesn't help, since everyone immediately everyone assumed that meant a balance between Dark and Light. Actually, calling it the Dark Side in the first place kind of implies there must be a Light Side...I'm starting to think George Lucas isn't very good at getting ideas across, you guys.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I thought it was supposed to be a yin yang situation where both sides have to exist.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought

found the problem

(not you, just Star Wars in general. It doesn't stand up to even the tiniest bit of scrutiny, so it's just best not to think about it)

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

I thought it was supposed to be a yin yang situation where both sides have to exist.

Yeah I thought this too but then stupid "always two there are, master and apprentice" bullshit.

That concept is just remarkably stupid, Lucas is a loving hack.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

IIRC the movies never say "light side" when talking about the Force. It is only the Force and the Dark Side, which is supposed to be a corruption of the Force.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
So my coworker and I have a movie exchange going. I loaned him Get Out.

He loaned me Lucky Number Slevin.

Holy gently caress I hate when a 15 year old is given a script to write. Half that movie could have been cut because there is seriously 5 times where "Why is he called The Rabbi?" "Because he's a rabbi." exchange happens.

"Why is he called The Fairy?"

"Because he's a fairy."

"So he has wings and fairy dust?"

"No, he's a fairy. He's a homosexual."

Or the fact a romance plot has to be shoehorned in with Super Cute Quirky Girl because what movie about rival gangs (which we barely see) is complete without some upbeat idiot loving the main dude?

I don't ask for much in my dumb crime lord movies.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Lucky Number Slevin feels like someone was locked in a room and told to write a script based entirely on second hand accounts about Tarantino and Guy Ritchie films.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

muscles like this! posted:

IIRC the movies never say "light side" when talking about the Force. It is only the Force and the Dark Side, which is supposed to be a corruption of the Force.
If there's a dark side and a side that is not dark, isn't that, by definition, the light side? What's the distinction between "light side" and "side that isn't the dark side"?