Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is it possible to take multiple collecting and crafting disciplines? Is it like other games where you can dig a big money hole if you don't find a synergy between collecting and crafting?

I'm taking fishing no matter what so don't try to talk me out of it. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You can and should do everything on the same char but you don't need to do anything else to fish but fish.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Is it possible to take multiple collecting and crafting disciplines? Is it like other games where you can dig a big money hole if you don't find a synergy between collecting and crafting?

Crafting is absolutely a money hole no matter what you do. Leveling gathering at the same time will mitigate it a bit, and I suppose you technically could be fully self-sufficient and gather/hunt everything you need and then craft your own gathering/crafting gear when it's time to upgrade, but it will take loving forever and after a certain point you're going to question whether fake money is worth more than real hours of your one life on earth and just hit up the market board for your mats

And like Mr. Nice said, you can and should learn every discipline on the same character, especially if you plan to craft. Crafters can use cross-class skills, and some of them are (or were? I don't have any 70s yet) pretty essential so you're going to want to grind them all up to a certain point. Someone who knows more about crafting than me can be more specific about this.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Sep 9, 2017

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Apparently I need to go back to Waking Sands to unlock Garuda and Titan hard mode, despite there being literally no hint in game to do this?

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Bolow posted:

Apparently I need to go back to Waking Sands to unlock Garuda and Titan hard mode, despite there being literally no hint in game to do this?

Hard mode garuda, titan and ifrit completion is required for one of the msq quests given by the same quest giver so normally you would take the unlock quests after turning in the previous main scenario quest to her. Later in the game trials only have two difficulties and you only need to take extreme unlock quests separately.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

But generally yes, the only certain way to not miss a feature or instance unlock is to take every blue plus quest you see on the map.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

My confusion came from the fact that the main scion base relocates halfway through the level 50 stuff, yet all the hard mode stuff is back at the waking sands with no reason to ever check there again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Shy posted:

But generally yes, the only certain way to not miss a feature or instance unlock is to take every blue plus quest you see on the map.

I'm glad that after a certain point, they made it so that just unlocking the feature completes the quest. I still have quests for garuda ex and odin clogging up my log that I'm never planning to do, but leaving blue questgivers unspoken to is unacceptable to me now

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm glad that after a certain point, they made it so that just unlocking the feature completes the quest. I still have quests for garuda ex and odin clogging up my log that I'm never planning to do, but leaving blue questgivers unspoken to is unacceptable to me now

Any random person can just like, solo those down for you if you want.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Ainsley McTree posted:

Every week on Tuesday people put up PFs to do those fights unsynced for wondrous tails

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Any random person can just like, solo those down for you if you want.

cheetah7071 posted:

Every week on Tuesday people put up PFs to do those fights unsynced for wondrous tails

Hm, I forgot that unsynced was a thing. I could probably even solo them now, huh

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

gently caress, depending on your class you can probably solo some of the ARR EX trials unsynced. It's easier than it sounds, although you probably need to know the fight already first.

Ironically Titan EX is soloable but Titan hard isn't. Hard's gaol causes a wipe/reset if there's only one player alive and trapped, but extreme's just locks you down for ten seconds and hits you for ~14k afterwards. Go figure. :shrug:

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Soloing arr extremes is still very annoying, it's much easier to start a party finder group and get people who'll be very happy to help for the first time bonuses.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Shy posted:

Soloing arr extremes is still very annoying, it's much easier to start a party finder group and get people who'll be very happy to help for the first time bonuses.

Just say "WT/Unsync with bonus" in the notes or whatever and people will come.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Shy posted:

Until you enrage ifrit like 6 times in a row because you can't explain to people to not loving hit buttons.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dick Trauma posted:

When you get to a point in the MSQ, you have to decide on a Grand Company. Every day, you have the opportunity to earn xp and GC seals (it's just a currency) for each of the crafting and gathering classes you have unlocked. For most of the crafting turn ins, you can just buy them from the vendor. #lifehax

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Until you enrage ifrit like 6 times in a row because you can't explain to people to not loving hit buttons.

I wasn't going to learn tactics for an irrelevant trial you don't pay my sub!!!

I stopped after I saw "red mage calm your tits" in chat

Shy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 9, 2017

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
I've actually had good luck with synced ex trials lately. I get them a fair amount when doing mentor roulette. I think my favourite part about getting an ex trial in mentor roulette is when someone quits or gets booted, and I get to see the reaction of the mentor that inevitably stumbles into the trial thereafter.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Bolow posted:

My confusion came from the fact that the main scion base relocates halfway through the level 50 stuff, yet all the hard mode stuff is back at the waking sands with no reason to ever check there again.

Spergy McElf is reluctant to move along with the rest of the scions because it would be unreasonable to move his entire library. This is the canonical excuse for what was a software limitation of sorts with having a quest giver in two different places for the same quest.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Well that's a terrifying as poo poo wedding.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Bolow posted:

The magic circle text is AVERE over and over

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Bolow posted:

Hah, glad you did it! It's one of the best quests.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Bolow posted:

Now, please visit and complete The Palace of the Dead

Melomane Mallet
Oct 11, 2012

I'm bad; I'm just not born that way.

Bolow posted:

I hope you had the opportunity to read all the notes. :allears:

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Asimo posted:

gently caress, depending on your class you can probably solo some of the ARR EX trials unsynced. It's easier than it sounds, although you probably need to know the fight already first.

Ironically Titan EX is soloable but Titan hard isn't. Hard's gaol causes a wipe/reset if there's only one player alive and trapped, but extreme's just locks you down for ten seconds and hits you for ~14k afterwards. Go figure. :shrug:

IIRC you can solo Titan Hard, you just have to burst him really hard so he doesn't have time to gaol you.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

vOv posted:

IIRC you can solo Titan Hard, you just have to burst him really hard so he doesn't have time to gaol you.

Actually at 70 the gaols don't do enough damage to kill you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

That's in extreme. Titan HM gaols do not explode on the person in them. If you solo it and get gaoled it instantly resets.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah titan ex has been soloable for a while now. Earlier I remember having to adlo to survive gaol but late into HW just all that vit inflation meant I could just face tank everything. Titan HM, not so much, at least as a sch.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would routinely solo titan EX as a moderately geared warrior at the end of heavensward

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Really glad I picked Lancer/Dragoon, because the Midgarsomr stuff and Estinien reappearing feels like it has a lot more weight since everything is very relevant to you personally

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Spergy McElf is reluctant to move along with the rest of the scions because it would be unreasonable to move his entire library. This is the canonical excuse for what was a software limitation of sorts with having a quest giver in two different places for the same quest.

Is it some kind of software limitation that made them decide to put the Aetherite so far away from the place you need to keep going back to over and over again? They even make fun of it one of the post ARR patch quests as the merchant guilds trying to annoy you.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Is it some kind of software limitation that made them decide to put the Aetherite so far away from the place you need to keep going back to over and over again? They even make fun of it one of the post ARR patch quests as the merchant guilds trying to annoy you.

They make you run from Horizon to build character.

Alternately, just take the ferry from Limsa to Vesper Bay, it's faster.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I would routinely solo titan EX as a moderately geared warrior at the end of heavensward
Yeah I was soloing dungeons and stuff at the end of heavensward but never thought to try the trials until now because I am dumb. :downs: I love soloing old group crap for fun anyway, been doing it ever since I realized I could manhandle Onyxia and Molten Core alone during... uh, WotLK? Maybe late TBC? I dunno it's over a decade ago.

Also after 15-odd Odin kills trying to get glamour, 13 of the drops have been his goddamn boots. This loot table is very clearly skewed it seems and if I didn't see the DoW helm already I'd have assumed it was broken entirely or something.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

No that's a story plot beat. The syndicate in Uldah will not put an aetheryte there unless the scions will work for them. They won't which is why they move to mor dhona.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
my group finally got to neo tonight, so I did what any sensible xiv player would do

we then died immediately forever

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Yeah NED wrecks poo poo.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
No turning back now...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Thinking of leveling a tank--can anyone give a rundown of how each plays? Not so much interested in meta-ness as playstyle and "fun." I hear warrior is fiddly and complicated, DK has been dumbed down and is boring until 70, paladin is good and smooth now?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm levelling a DARK right now and liking it, it gets good around 45 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

porfiria posted:

Thinking of leveling a tank--can anyone give a rundown of how each plays? Not so much interested in meta-ness as playstyle and "fun." I hear warrior is fiddly and complicated, DK has been dumbed down and is boring until 70, paladin is good and smooth now?

WAR:

* If you liked to Fell Cleave before... GET READY TO FELL CLEAVE MORE.
* No way of generating job-specific resource when AoEing. This can lead to situations where you need to do area threat, but also need to use your single-target combos in order to generate Beast Gauge.
* Shake It Off is a dog of a skill.
* Onslaught really should *generate* Beast Gauge, rather than consume it. You can't ever use it to pull unless you had some trash to build gauge off of.
* Infuriate can't be used to generate Gauge unless you're "in combat". SE doesn't want you to sit there for two minutes building up a full bar before pulling.
* Allegedly has a huge sack of HP to mitigate things, but the healing isn't keeping up with the ballooning HP.
* Could use a second pass to rejigger what level you get your skills to make them make more sense.

PLD:

* Play this tank if you would rather die by a thousand cuts.
* Brings a lot of utility. Damage reduction for the other tank and the entire party. Shields for the entire party. Self-healing. Blocks magic now.
* Does not lag behind in damage compared to the others.
* King Big Dick Tank now.
* Could use a second pass to rejigger what level you get your skills to make them make more sense.

DRK

* Play this tank to embrace your inner edgelord. Put Linkin Park on repeat and get ready to wear those CDs out.
* Brings less utility than PLD, but more than WAR.