Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Derek quotes himself and gets angry. What a trip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Jesus Crisp Roberts on a cracker, Derek gently caress off for awhile unless you have something worthwhile

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009
That was the last anyone heard from Derek Smart

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
dereksmart to reveal he finally achieved 51% ownership of CIG after intentionally tanking company worth in obtuse investment scheme.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I'm not mad I'm just right because I'm Derek loving Smart and I not only have a mastery of BB code but also I have a mastery of the way things ARE and always HAVE BEEN. You are WRONG. Two Weeks! :grin:

Someone Who Doesn't Like Star Citizen and Wrote Some Words posted:

I don't like star citizen!

:five: :five: :five: :perfect: :master:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

peter gabriel posted:

For any Citizens reading, get a refund, buy a Rift and get Lone Echo.
I just spent a couple of hours sorting cargo out with grabby hands and doing busy work in space and it was actually really really good in a way that this heap of poo poo will never, ever be.

Holy poo poo this looks incredible. This alone makes me wanna buy a VR headset.

Now compare that voice acting and mocap to Solar Citizen.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

I literally just rated this thread five. Good job guys. You won my vote.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

It'll fail eventually, there's no getting around it.

Have patience.

It's not like there'll be any fuss when it happens, it'll just end quietly.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is there something wrong with that? I donate to charity, I invest in my retirement funds and market, and I live a my life as a single simpleton bachelor enjoying the Cali sun.

Ahh there it is. Hes from California. No wonder hes a bit challanged.

What a terrible state. If i lived there i would probably mentally punch everyone i walked across with logic and watch them all scream about things like "appropriation" and "hurricane irma is patriarchy!"

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Tophat p pu...put down that crossbow :ohdear:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

thatguy posted:

Seriously though Derek are you doing anything to prepare for Irma?

Yeah, we're good. Thanks for your concern. Not our first hurricane; and we don't wait for the last minute to start freaking out.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

Thoatse posted:

Tophat p pu...put down that crossbow :ohdear:

It's just a bolt bro

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

D_Smart posted:

Yeah, we're good. Thanks for your concern. Not our first hurricane; and we don't wait for the last minute to start freaking out.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/905900320596914176

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

:hmbol:

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I've been getting the worst sense of deja-vu this last loving week and it's because the last hurricane/storm that swept through Florida we saw exactly the same "LET ME loving FINISH" storm-yelling jokes while everyone was also demanding Derek hurry up on his last big announcement he was going on about. Star Citizen's release/demise is dragging out so long we're actually at risk of getting stuck in their hype-failure sequence loop or something.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I've been getting the worst sense of deja-vu this last loving week and it's because the last hurricane/storm that swept through Florida we saw exactly the same "LET ME loving FINISH" storm-yelling jokes while everyone was also demanding Derek hurry up on his last big announcement he was going on about. Star Citizen's release/demise is dragging out so long we're actually at risk of getting stuck in their hype-failure sequence loop or something.

I'm pretty sure we're already stuck in the loop.

We have to go back.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer
Irma not going to hit derek's house for two weeks

Calling it

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We have to go back.

How far? It hurts to walk long distances.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We have to go back.

What if we go back and you and I are responsible for Star Citizen thereby creating the closed time loop?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

TheLastRoboKy posted:

:laffo: yeah, Good times :grin:

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Hobold posted:

How far? It hurts to walk long distances.

2 weeks

TheLastRoboKy posted:

What if we go back and you and I are responsible for Star Citizen thereby creating the closed time loop?

Then at least someone will finally be taking responsibility in this shitfest.

toanoradian
May 31, 2011

The happiest waffligator

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

We have to go back.

We have to go back to the time before Derek called Chris out. Before the Escapist.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

...we don't wait for the last minute to start freaking out.

That's true. You started freaking out July 2015.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sappo569 posted:

You can set your watch to it

Someone posts a juicy bit of info and an hour or two later, Derek tweets about it like he discovered it first

So, the Derek method:

1) Make an ambiguous reference to an apocalyptic ending for CIG.
2) Thread laughs at you, but a couple industrious people start rooting around and turn up some dirt.
3) Immediately post the dirt and claim it is what you were predicting all along.
4) Repeat for two plus years.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

This game is never coming out:

Have Chris waste all of his time presiding over leather jacket and snoopy hat designs, and keep him the gently caress away from the programmers.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Two weeks,blogs are ready,he keeps meaning to but he keeps on forgetting,there's pineapple on his shirt,leonard skinly.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Tokamak posted:

This game is never coming out:

Have Chris waste all of his time presiding over leather jacket and snoopy hat designs, and keep him the gently caress away from the programmers.

Programmer #1 - Hey man I feel our team is getting too large

*looks around the nearly empty room*

Programmer #2 - Yeah, I can barely get any work done with the echo in here

Programmer #1 - Well there is only one solution, we split up!

Programmer #2 - Right on! We will get work done twice as fast that way

*highfives*

.... Programmer #1 - We can pay ourselves more now too right?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

https://twitter.com/TheRealGremlich/status/905203099735818240

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
so really im just curious, but for what reason do you care, derek, about chris roberts\cig\etc? like, what set this whole campaign off for you?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Mirificus posted:

August 18, 2017

[removed] post

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
While Derek is posting instead of getting ready for his hurricane thing, let's do a thing. Please don't reply until it's complete.

That is all. It is no Stimpire, but it is a piece of history.

Where's the loving lawsuit, Derek?

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Goosfraba
Feb 26, 2016

Tippis posted:

Chris descending on some poor guy's desk, demanding changes, roughly once every half-hour.

So Chris runs his company like an angry 3 year old.

Goosfraba fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Sep 9, 2017

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Truga posted:

A bunch of stuff

Holy crap. Wow. People complain that I write books when I'm writing emails\sending IMs to friends...goddamn.

It's so confusing though. He says he is doing what he is doing for the gamers\other people in his industry, but he doesn't care about the feelings of people on the internet nor does he want to work with other people since he might get screwed over somehow. tbh things would probably be a lot easier and less frustrating\anger inducing if you just cooled your jets. theres people in every industry who will try to gently caress you over. most of the people though are pretty chill and just want to through to the next day as much as you.

if anything, being professional at a skillset is great but getting along with people is what pretty much everyone puts as #1 on their desired traits list when hiring people, i think. honestly, think of it this way...sure you made a bunch of games on your own and you had a blast\successful in doing so, you probably would've made even better games though if you just played ball with everyone else

but whatever im just some guy on the internet

as for chris though, he doesnt look like the type of guy who flips his poo poo. he just seems inept. hes admitted already before that management isn't his game, yet hes now #1 for a company with over $156 in crowd funding...not only that but its just weird that he has sandi doing marketing. hes basically positioned himself in a way with his brother\wife that puts a stopper on him getting dethroned. so he's either gonna succeed with a big payoff or its going to crash and burn hard, leaving a black mark on crowdfunded games.

At the same time, even if SC fails, theres plenty of other crowdfunded games that have been fine. its also a niche market, so...i don't know. seems kind of like the failure scenario, should sc fail, is being blown out of proportion.

heres some roosters evacuating key west

StarbloodKiss fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Sep 9, 2017

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

StarbloodKiss posted:

so really im just curious, but for what reason do you care, derek, about chris roberts\cig\etc? like, what set this whole campaign off for you?

It's kind of wacky how it all started but he basically voiced concern about the feature bloat Star Citizen had as it was getting more money and seemingly promising to do more and more when it hadn't really achieved the basics, and did so in a fairly public way while he was a backer because by his own account personal attempts to reach out to CIG were ignored completely. CIG responded to his criticism by refunding him, banning him from their forums, and claiming (falsely) he'd been using forums access to advertise his own game Line of Defense. They also did some attempts at shaming/discrediting him by claiming through their data he had never touched Arena Commander or anything like that even once under his account (even though that wasn't what he'd been talking about).

So basically one of the most famously outspoken and combative internet game dev personalities spoke out about something, and CIG responded by going full attack on him and I guess thought that Derek Smart of all people would slink off into the shadows with his tail between his legs? Since then it's basically been a quest for vindication, and as more crazies piled into Derek about this he's been furiously rubbing in preparation for the day he can unequivocally say "I was right"

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

TheLastRoboKy posted:

It's kind of wacky how it all started but he basically voiced concern about the feature bloat Star Citizen had as it was getting more money and seemingly promising to do more and more when it hadn't really achieved the basics, and did so in a fairly public way while he was a backer because by his own account personal attempts to reach out to CIG were ignored completely. CIG responded to his criticism by refunding him, banning him from their forums, and claiming (falsely) he'd been using forums access to advertise his own game Line of Defense. They also did some attempts at shaming/discrediting him by claiming through their data he had never touched Arena Commander or anything like that even once under his account (even though that wasn't what he'd been talking about).

So basically one of the most famously outspoken and combative internet game dev personalities spoke out about something, and CIG responded by going full attack on him and I guess thought that Derek Smart of all people would slink off into the shadows with his tail between his legs? Since then it's basically been a quest for vindication, and as more crazies piled into Derek about this he's been furiously rubbing in preparation for the day he can unequivocally say "I was right"

that makes sense, thank you!

By the way, quick question but, are you the same TheLastRoboky from SFNet\Disaster Labs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

StarbloodKiss posted:

as for chris though, he doesnt look like the type of guy who flips his poo poo.

When The Escapist published an article that claimed staff were treated poorly at CIG and subjected to harassment and abuse from management (in particular Chris' wife Sandi) he spent 8 hours (by his own admission) crafting an incoherent rant response claiming that accused all the leakers of the article of being Derek Smart and the writer of the article of being part of a Gamergate conspiracy.

He's the world's angriest thumb.