Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Dogeh posted:

I love your replies. Epic on so many levels!

God bless him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

God bless him

I know.
He's just great.
:D

Trying to work out how many goons are watching his stream...

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Dogeh posted:

I know.
He's just great.

Trying to work out how many goons are watching his stream...

At least 6 minutes before the referral link got mentioned

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Steam up guys. Let's shoot some dudes.

https://www.twitch.tv/mrtophat_sa

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
That guys stream was killing me, he was hyping the game up and DerekSmartIsRight is chatting away to him :lol:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

peter gabriel posted:

That guys stream was killing me, he was hyping the game up and DerekSmartIsRight is chatting away to him :lol:

Tophat stream is rocking tbh

How great does this game look for 12 years old, man, back when people still knew how to do great gameplay

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

D_Smart posted:

1) What IP did they buy in 2015, which would require a whole new shell company two years later. In the UK. And which company bought it that it can't hang on to it?

2) What about the 14 other companies, of which 3 are already in the UK (F42, CIG, RSI), and 1 in GER (all part of the EU), for a total of 4 companies they could use?

My guess is that unknown IP is related to either Star Citizen or SQ42. They basically just shifted it around and sold it back to themselves, thus taking money out of the entities.

There's some really shady poo poo going on, and between the Coutts loan and this new CIR entity, there's a lot more to this than meets the eye. I am still digging though.

They never needed more than one UK company. They're all linked now, so ultimately it was a waste of time and money.

My guess would be it somehow relates to the big motion capture and possibly image rights of the actors. It doesn't really make sense that it was in this company in the first place but it might have just been the one that wrote the cheque at the time and for some reason forced their hand.

The company has a very unorthodox P&L but it does just appear to be a different way to move the money around the companies. There isn't really a legitimate reason for this company to exist, so there's no legitimate reason for it to funnel money around. So now they have to "justify" its existence and the fact they paid Erin et al £440k for Foundry 42. They paid £1.36m for IP. They have a loan of £700k. The rest is just making it up as they go along and trying to unfuck the appearance of the P&L and Balance sheet (which doesn't match their own notes to the accounts). The 2016 accounts are due by the end of September so they may reveal some more.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

peter gabriel posted:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/173605364?t=28m55s

:gary:

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

peter gabriel posted:

That was fun!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:lol:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
GRAB THE BUCKET

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

StarbloodKiss
Feb 3, 2016

Why is the entire cargo hold full with crates of Krogan Krackers?
Aark is an okay guy. He's not a bad person, but I just don't agree with his choice in games. I remember I was getting kind of irritated with him and that Warhammer 40k MMO. Now that was a travesty.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sarsapariller posted:

Lethality tweets that this is a positive turn of events.

This is the center square in Bingo. You can add this to any possible outcome. The game could go dark tomorrow and lethality would moan poetically about how the gaming industry progressed and learned a lot from the project.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 10, 2017

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

D1E posted:

LOL. Remember when this clown was an SA moderator?

Ok, be honest, do you post in r/dereksmart?

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

He's a loving coward. He blocked me

:eyepop:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

trucutru posted:

Ok, be honest, do you post in r/dereksmart?

One can realize CIG is going to fail and still recognize that derek is more full of poo poo than a solo outhouse at a chili cookoff.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Variable 5 posted:

One can think CIG is going to fail and still recognize that derek is more full of poo poo than a solo outhouse at a chili cookoff.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

I buy jpegs for my kids so when they grow up they wont have money for drugs

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
CIG has created more companies in the last 5 years for their space ship game than ships for their space ship game.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Sep 10, 2017

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

SomethingJones posted:

How great does this game look for 12 years old, man, back when people still knew how to do great gameplay

Goddam, watching that stream takes me back. I also remember getting stuck in the exact place he's struggling with now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

loving Christ. Words fail me.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Words fail me.

You waste so many of them.

Can you blame them?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

shrach posted:

They never needed more than one UK company. They're all linked now, so ultimately it was a waste of time and money.

My guess would be it somehow relates to the big motion capture and possibly image rights of the actors. It doesn't really make sense that it was in this company in the first place but it might have just been the one that wrote the cheque at the time and for some reason forced their hand.

The company has a very unorthodox P&L but it does just appear to be a different way to move the money around the companies. There isn't really a legitimate reason for this company to exist, so there's no legitimate reason for it to funnel money around. So now they have to "justify" its existence and the fact they paid Erin et al £440k for Foundry 42. They paid £1.36m for IP. They have a loan of £700k. The rest is just making it up as they go along and trying to unfuck the appearance of the P&L and Balance sheet (which doesn't match their own notes to the accounts). The 2016 accounts are due by the end of September so they may reveal some more.

Agreed to all of the above.

I already wrote a blog on that huge Red flag regarding Erin.

Basically Chris took $75M of backer money and built/maintained F42-UK studio for his brother and lifelong friends (The Elms, Derek Senior et al).

Then they turned around, less than two years later, and bought the company back from Erin and co, thus taking money OUT of the entity. Money which should have been spent on developing the games.

And during that time, they were putting the company into debt with not one, but two loans, even after taking money out of the entities for no good cause.

All of the above in addition to Erin taking a larger than normal salary, even while giving himself salary raises - never having shipped a product.

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

VictorianQueerLit posted:

I bet people like you were strangled during the telegraph era

(telegraph operator eagerly awaiting message)
*tapping furiously starts*

BE PREPARED FOR MESSAGE TO ARRIVE
STOP
MESSAGE WILL BE OF INORDINATE LENGTH
STOP
CAN NOT YET SEND MESSAGE AS HAVE NOT BEEN GIVEN CLEARANCE
STOP
WILL UPDATE YOU WHEN CLEARANCE HAS BEEN GIVEN
STOP
BE WARNED MESSAGE IS EVEN MORE URGENT THAN YOU THOUGHT
STOP
YOUR WILDEST IMAGININGS PALE IN COMPARISON TO MESSAGE THAT WILL BE ARRIVING
STOP
ONCE CLEARANCE HAS BEEN GIVEN I WILL SEND MESSAGE
STOP
MESSAGE IS INCOMING
STOP
AS SOON AS CLEARANCE IS GIVEN. REMEMBER YOU WERE FOREWARNED
STOP

*sixteen hours later the only thing moving in the office is the telegraph, overseen by an unmoving operator that long ago ate a bullet*

This needs more love. Oh my god

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

StarbloodKiss posted:

Aark is an okay guy. He's not a bad person, but I just don't agree with his choice in games. I remember I was getting kind of irritated with him and that Warhammer 40k MMO. Now that was a travesty.

We were super-nice to him.

Favourite part of the encounter was pgabz repeatedly asking who the guy that sounded like Pingu, was.
Brilliant stuff.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Lack of Gravitas posted:

This needs more love. Oh my god

The sheer synchronicity of the poster name & the post really is the dollop of yogurt on the blue cheese.

In One Ear
Apr 25, 2017

Variable 5 posted:

One can realize CIG is going to fail and still recognize that derek is more full of poo poo than a solo outhouse at a chili cookoff.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017
A poster on sc_refunds made an astute observation:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/6z49c4/comment/dmslg6h?st=J7E0Q5LJ&sh=b7a31f22

The British video game certification CIG/F42 applied for from BFI in order to qualify for the UK Video Game Tax Relief credit, just so happens to be subject to FOIA.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Sappo569 posted:

Jokes on you all

Star citizen is ground breaking and Chris is just getting ahead of the curve by preparing for the influx of offers to purchase the movie rights

For the last time clipping through the floor is not groundbreaking it's groundbroken.

StarbloodKiss posted:

Much like Star Citizen, that game promised big but didn't have what it took to see the distance through. Unlike Star Citizen they did at least try to downsize their expectations at some point and try to aim for a more realistic outcome. Didn't help but it's that clarity and acceptance of overreaching CIG lacks.

Unless you were talking about the OTHER 40K MMO which was a completely different sort of death. I think it was tied to THQ's money problems? Remember when they hitched their wagon on the success of some dumb peripheral they were sure everyone would buy and it bankrupted them? Good times.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Hey D1E can you let us know if you think Derek is bad or not? It's not as boring as Derek promising for the ELE yet.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
Also, I just want to say that I totally called that dude was a Goon. He seems to have an affliction for anime maybe :eonwe: can get him to post here.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

thatguy posted:

Hey D1E can you let us know if you think Derek is bad or not? It's not as boring as Derek promising for the ELE yet.

OK yes I think he's bad and if you're one of his lackeys you're bad too.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

thatguy posted:

It's not as boring as Derek promising for the ELE yet.

This but unironically

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

D1E posted:

My life for Derek Smart.

Derek doxx that guy who was a meaningless pawn in the scheme of Star Citizen in my opinion.

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Thanks for tuning in, that was fun. The game broke because I was trying to do stuff too fast I guess. I've never rushed through F.E.A.R like that and had enemies from previous areas join in that was rad.

SomethingJones posted:

Thank you :wotwot:

The game really does look wonderful. Everything is on max, 60fps. I wish I could give my 12 year younger self my current PC so I could have enjoyed this at ultra specs. It was an obsession at the time that never was satisfied. Only took me a decade to get what I pined for!

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

D1E posted:

Could you clarify this I feel like checking your post history brings up some conflict in this view?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Thread's getting lovely again

Can we all just agree that there's an alternate reality where croberts has his own little weird following on Uwe Boll's SomethingHorrible.com and we all rip on Line of Defense for crowdfunding $150 million without ever making a game?