Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Is king of springs the fuckwit who thinks our food is all locally farmed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
There's a family farm on my dads side of the family and my cousin who is now running the farm said one of the issues he's running into now and what will probably cause the farm to fold is a lot of the land he farms is rented from millionaires in Britain and has been for a century. Now all those millionaires are dying off and their kids are selling the land instead of continuing to rent it and they simply can't afford 1.5 million for a plot that only generates 30k of revenue a year.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

quote:

Three Abbotsford teenagers have been charged in connection with the Lower Mainland drug turf war.

Ishaan Mutneja, Navpreet Dhaliwal and Sukhjit Malhi were all been arrested within the past week and a half and now face charges related to the gang conflict stretching across the region, said police in a statement on Friday. All three are 19 years of age.

Mutneja faces two charges while Dhaliwal and Malhi face six charges each. The charges range from drug trafficking in fentanyl, cocaine, heroin and methamphetamine, possession for the purpose of trafficking, and firearms-related offences.

At the time of Mutneja’s arrest, he was also on bail for six counts of possession for the purpose of trafficking and a firearm offence connected to a previous investigation.

Abbotsford police drug officers have been targeting groups linked to the multi-jurisdiction gang conflict, specifically those dealing in fentanyl and carfentanil.

“The safety risks to those involved with — or even associated to — people in the gang lifestyle are real,” said Sgt. Vic Gamboa in a statement. “It’s really sad to see young people being drawn into these violent conflicts.”

Anyone with information about the ongoing gang activity across the Lower Mainland or who may be concerned about a friend or family member becoming involved is asked to contact the Abbotsford Police Department’s gang task force at 604-864-4777.

Why can't these kids be more like jagmeet

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
https://twitter.com/LanaDelRaytheon/status/906206818384228352

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

namaste faggots posted:

Is king of springs the fuckwit who thinks our food is all locally farmed

I'm the guy that thinks we're hosed if none of our food is locally farmed

Are you Jenny Kwan

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Good joke by Ibbitson (hopefully?), but what does the N stand for in INYMI?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Also I'm pretty sure this field I'm doing headlands in right now is like 500K or more so yeah something has to give there

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Also I'm pretty sure this field I'm doing headlands in right now is like 500K or more so yeah something has to give there

The problem is making canola oil for china is more profitable than making food for canadians, because we can cheaply import american and south american food.

And we let that carry on because telling people what to grow is communist and communism is bad, and china's radical growth and american crops are 100% stable and nothing will ever happen to them.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
We have the technology to grow vegetables and fruits in Canada year round why don't we do this please advise

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Risky Bisquick posted:

Albino Squirrel, how badly will Morneau poop on your GP practice? Your marginal rate is going to the moon
This is a greatly delayed response, but I'm on my (unpaid, not a benefit :( ) vacation.

Currently, I restrict my income to what my family needs and save the rest. I think the elimination of income splitting is happening no matter what, so that would slightly increase my taxes. The big deal is the increase in capital gains taxes which renders the Corp useless as an investment vehicle. If I had to take all my income up front rather than using the Corp as a quasi-RRSP, that would cost me a few dozen extra thousand in tax.

It will not ruin my life. Many of my colleagues are acting like it will ruin them, but the only case in which I can see that is if you spend the vast majority of your income on staff. (In my case my clinic pays for them.) People are talking about maybe going to Australia or new Zealand, but the two largest Anglophone countries in the world are clusterfucks both Healthcare and otherwise so I don't see a huge brain drain happening.

I may have to wind up the corporation and pay myself several years of accumulated income, so, uh, I guess I'm getting the plug-in Volvo.

Chicken
Apr 23, 2014

Powershift posted:

A lot of the problem is that even people who would want to farm, that would want a little bit of land to sustain themselves on, can't afford it.

Farm land in the prairies has gone up 10-25% per year, year over year, for the last 15 years. Everyone talks about vancouver real estate, but a quarter section that would have been $20k in 2002 is well over $200k now. And then idiots talk about farming in high rises as if we aren't the second largest country in the loving world

Those farmers bemoaning the death of the family farm would probably rather take their Million dollar farming conglomerate payout than sell the land to an individual that wants to farm for a cent less. They don't give a gently caress about the concept of the family farm, they only really care about their specific family.

Where were you getting land for $125 an acre? My dad got a half section of lovely, hilly grassland in very rural Saskatchewan for $600/acre in 2003 and I can't imagine what land worth one fifth that would even look like.

You're right that land is going up, but I think the bigger issue in the death of family farms is that input costs are up and profit margins are down for traditional farming. Couple that with the loss of the Wheat Board and other programs to help level off fluctuations in grain prices and it becomes hard to make a living. The only option is to go bigger or go way smaller and do intensive value-added farming. Farmers have gotten pretty used to working 18 hour days during seeding and harvesting and then loving off to Phoenix for the rest of the year and aren't particularly interested in doing any type of farming that changes that. Our 2.5 section farm was perfectly average in the early 80s, but it was one of the smallest farms around by the time my parents retired.

The real answer to the death of rural areas is to take a lesson from Hutterites and collectivize farming.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Take no lessons from Hutterites b/c gently caress Hutterites

E: land goes for about 3K an acre and rising around here, it pretty much locks newcomers out, don't know why anyone would want to get into it anyways, why yes I want to gently caress off from doing anything with other non-rural people forever

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Sep 9, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Chicken posted:

Where were you getting land for $125 an acre? My dad got a half section of lovely, hilly grassland in very rural Saskatchewan for $600/acre in 2003 and I can't imagine what land worth one fifth that would even look like.

You're right that land is going up, but I think the bigger issue in the death of family farms is that input costs are up and profit margins are down for traditional farming. Couple that with the loss of the Wheat Board and other programs to help level off fluctuations in grain prices and it becomes hard to make a living. The only option is to go bigger or go way smaller and do intensive value-added farming. Farmers have gotten pretty used to working 18 hour days during seeding and harvesting and then loving off to Phoenix for the rest of the year and aren't particularly interested in doing any type of farming that changes that. Our 2.5 section farm was perfectly average in the early 80s, but it was one of the smallest farms around by the time my parents retired.

The real answer to the death of rural areas is to take a lesson from Hutterites and collectivize farming.

I'll try to dig it up, it's been a while since i looked it up, but it was in a north battleford newspaper from 2002.

The average in saskatchewan at that point was around $450/acre in 2016 dollars. around $350/acre in 2002 money.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

aahaaha they're so petty and pissy

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/british-columbia/darryl-plecas-1.4282683

quote:

The BC Liberal Party has revoked MLA Darryl Plecas' membership, one day after he became Speaker of the provincial legislature.

The party announced that Plecas was no longer a member in a statement on Saturday.

"Constituents must be able to trust their elected representatives," it said. "Party members must be able to trust those who hold positions of leadership in the party. And members of the legislature must be able to trust one another."

The statement said Plecas' decision was a betrayal, one he made "despite repeated promises and assurances that he would not."

Revoking Plecas' membership was "the strongest action available," a spokesperson added.

The party's interim leader, MLA Rich Coleman, didn't mince words about his former colleague's move to the Speaker's chair.

"Everyone had committed, including Mr. Plecas, to not run for Speaker," Coleman said Friday. "I took him at his word. Obviously, that word didn't mean a lot."

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

On one hand it's incredibly petty, but I remember how I felt when I voted for David Emerson as a Liberal in 06, and the fucker immediately defected to Harper like the day after the election.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
You guys are acting like politicians are paragons of integrity and deserve the highest honours of respect

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I mean look at svend Robinson and that's only because he got caught

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

and this here is why there is no effective labour movement in canada

this loving retard

My workplace has been talking about decertifying our union because people are all pissed off that a similar agency one town over makes like 2$ more per hour and they think that union will be 'better'

We just renegotiated our CBA in May and as far as I can tell not one person was willing to take a hardline stance with our current union and I talked to our negotiators and it sounds like they pretty much just took managements offer cause there was zero support for strike action throughout the agency.

But I'm sure giving up all our bargained rights and protections against management is a good idea because we might be able to join up another union and then they might maybe be able to make an extra 2 bucks!

Nobody could explain to me why they think that management would give in and raise incomes just because of a union switch if we still refused to strike.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

r u mystified by scheer's popularity

don't be he's literally an old white woman look at the size of his fukkin cellphone wallet

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

RBC posted:

In this specific case the employer has organized their workplace such that the employees are basically incapable of fighting back, by using shell temp agencies and removing the paper trail of employement. It would be up to an effective outside campaign to improve these workers conditions by bringing pressure to the government to take action and mobilizing unions like ufcw. That hopefully will occur now with some good investigative journalism.

I think it's a very good example of how the government is not effective at enforcing labour standards at all. IE for everyone that says "we don't need unions anymore, we have labour standards!" Well, look how that's worked out at Fiera Foods. They've been able to ignore even the most fundamental safety rules while killing people with barely a slap on the wrist. $150,000 fine for a worker dying under your watch? That's less than the CEO paid for his car. It's pathetic.

The only way conditions at this business will change would be for the ministry to issue a stop work order - which they should do immediately - and bust up the temp agencies. That would allow a successful union drive among the permanent employees to proceed. Otherwise, as soon as the ufcw or some other union comes into the workplace, those few permanent employees are going to go bye bye and be replaced with temps.

It was telling that in that article one of the former employees who got permanent status and organize a union was fired and the union fell apart.

Glad that article is getting attention here, it's some excellent reporting.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Scorchy posted:

On one hand it's incredibly petty, but I remember how I felt when I voted for David Emerson as a Liberal in 06, and the fucker immediately defected to Harper like the day after the election.

Becoming Speaker is much different from crossing the floor. Plecas is making the parliament work, not changing his sides within it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

namaste faggots posted:

don't be he's literally an old white woman look at the size of his fukkin cellphone wallet

He's not at all popular and it looks really bad that the Conservatives got no bump in popularity after he was chosen as leader.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009

Arivia posted:

Becoming Speaker is much different from crossing the floor. Plecas is making the parliament work, not changing his sides within it.

Apparently for bc libs making parliament work is changing sides.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

namaste faggots posted:

I'm just surprised there's no sign of a belt clip.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Scheer trying to take a picture of something goofier looking than himself

failing

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Scheer has one of those weak chins that you'd normally only get in a North Korean or Syrian style dictatorship where the leader is just the son of the previous strongman.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

He's the spitting image of your average young conservative from a white as gently caress university or something. What a creepy face though.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

CLAM DOWN posted:

He's the spitting image of your average young conservative from a white as gently caress university or something. What a creepy face though.

Highly appropriate considering he was elected thanks to an anime convention.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Practically the only advantage of living in an elected democracy these days is having more fuckable politicians. Scheer would be bucking that trend.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Are there Trudeau and Macron fanfics yet?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

Are there Trudeau and Macron fanfics yet?

gotcha covered fam

https://twitter.com/JustinTrudeau/status/868103177144610816

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Vintersorg posted:

What a hateful little worm. gently caress that idiot. I hope she is named and shamed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvGdNjNKwHY

lol

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The rural Canadian working class my goons

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

A familiar face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gyo7T6lllLw

Lid fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Sep 10, 2017

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
loving lmao Canadians

CanPol Megathread: Trudeau is just stroking the comrades

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How about this

Increase capital gains taxes by two. ~Small business~ can keep their loving sprinkles

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I’m the CEO at Retired

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 9, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

vyelkin posted:

loving lmao Canadians

CanPol Megathread: Trudeau is just stroking the comrades

There appear to be a lot of barely literate doctors about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

infernal machines posted:

There appear to be a lot of barely literate doctors about.

Well yeah, they can barely write their names, they probably can't even read.