Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is going to be your favorite offseason storyline?
This poll is closed.
The Big3 Tourney 67 22.41%
Will Lakers draft Ball 40 13.38%
Where will the Pauls go 54 18.06%
Will LeBron jump ship to the Spurs or ?? 41 13.71%
Will every team in the league just pivot towards tanking 97 32.44%
Total: 210 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
https://twitter.com/BballCoachMac/status/902185568351555585

https://twitter.com/jcraw55/status/906907866858184705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So with T-Mac getting into the Hall of Fame, I'm wondering who gets into the Hair of Fame.

Thinking His Hairness and Frobe are first ballot, tbh, along with Ben Wallace circa 04, as well as Kawhi and his rows long past their sell-by date.

Edit: I left out Chris Kaman, but he's only a Hair of Famer for his anti-hairness. It's a conundrum. I guess we could throw in Manu's bald spot as well, since it's been growing since he was 14.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I will now commit seppuku for omitting the One True Hair of Famer.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Iverson and the cornrows was a big deal so he's a first balloter.

I think Iman Shumpert brought the flat top back.

Boredumb
Mar 10, 2005

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

So with T-Mac getting into the Hall of Fame, I'm wondering who gets into the Hair of Fame.

Thinking His Hairness and Frobe are first ballot, tbh, along with Ben Wallace circa 04, as well as Kawhi and his rows long past their sell-by date.

Edit: I left out Chris Kaman, but he's only a Hair of Famer for his anti-hairness. It's a conundrum. I guess we could throw in Manu's bald spot as well, since it's been growing since he was 14.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Ah yes, the ever popular stoogefro or Mofro

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

random question--why isn't fantasy basketball more popular? you never hear about it, no thread in taq, no mention on broadcasts.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Abel Wingnut posted:

random question--why isn't fantasy basketball more popular? you never hear about it, no thread in taq, no mention on broadcasts.

It takes much more effort to play than fantasy football, from what I understand.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Abel Wingnut posted:

Games everyday so more work than football, but its not consistent games like baseball. Not as wild as football, but star players get you way more points, and the stats aren't as clean as in baseball. It's like a middle-spot between football and baseball that doesn't really get you any of the advantages. It can still be fun but you end up with a lot of people quitting.

I also really soured on draft format because there are frequently huge dropoffs arbitrarily. I'd probably play an auction format though.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Abel Wingnut posted:

I quit all fantasy in the late 90s so I have no idea what the status quo is, but 80+ games v 16 games means people have make roster changes 24/7 instead of just reading about it for 6 days and making moves on Saturday night/Sunday morning.

Kibner posted:

It takes much more effort to play than fantasy football, from what I understand.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Dexo posted:

Oh Terry :allears:

Our love
Holds on
Holds on

Abel Wingnut posted:

In general it takes far more involvement than fantasy football so it's not as enticing a prospect for a casual fan. Lineups need to be set daily so a lot of leagues will be won just by whoever is thinking about basketball once a day. You don't just check in once a week, and you don't really get those dramatic "all coming down to one game" matchups. Otherwise, the winner is whatever freak wants to watch all the worst teams in the league to how their sophmore players are developing. I love auction draft leagues and I think it's incredibly fun.

Daily Fantasy isn't really recommended for the same reason most smart basketball fans would tell you never to bet on games--individual games are highly random to the point where you're just kind of playing a lottery, and there isn't much in the way of numbers or knowledge that can help you make smarter selections.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Among a million other reasons why FBasketball is harder and more work to maintain, the current NBA is stupidly hard to track on a traditional position system. Trevor Ariza can easily be a PF in some systems, and that lack of universal agreement makes it harder than QB is 99% a QB.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Abel Wingnut posted:

Too much effort for a lot of people. I run a league every year that usually loses half the teams from the previous season because of that. If the major sites (yahoo/espn) had it where you could auto sub players in each day based off your personal preference I think it would be a lot more popular. For a lot of people having to deal with lineups more than once a week is too much, then you add in how much longer the season is.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Tae posted:

Among a million other reasons why FBasketball is harder and more work to maintain, the current NBA is stupidly hard to track on a traditional position system. Trevor Ariza can easily be a PF in some systems, and that lack of universal agreement makes it harder than QB is 99% a QB.

This is part of the reason why fantasy basketball is fun, nothing is set in stone and you can adjust your league the way you'd like it. Last year we decided that we wanted to push even harder to break the PG/PF paradigm, which is something that annoys us (or at least three of us who started the league) so we made double doubles and something else which I'm forgetting at the moment, scoring categories. And it worked, I won the league with like 4 centers on my roster

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I'm in a league that's had mostly the same people for the last 6 years. It requires you to be degenerate obsessive and care more about third string point guards than any sane person really should.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

attackmole posted:

I'm in a league that's had mostly the same people for the last 6 years. It requires you to be degenerate obsessive and care more about third string point guards than any sane person really should.

DJ Augustin won me the league 2 years ago

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
My schedule makes it hard for me to continuously set my lineups which is why I don't play sadly

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

My schedule makes it hard for me to continuously set my lineups which is why I don't play sadly

I just set mine a month in advance and then check in for injuries/ performance related substitutions

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Dejan Bimble posted:

I just set mine a month in advance and then check in for injuries/ performance related substitutions

This guy gets it.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Abel Wingnut posted:

I used to play a ton, but its just a lot more work. And even if you are doing weekly lineups, you then have to worry about how many games everyone is playing that week.

I mean, I would probably play in a goon league if someone decides to host one

edit: I should really join, it forced me to watch a lot more basketball and I feel like I haven't been watching enough the last 4 or 5 years (hmm, I wonder why :thunk:)

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I like fanty and honestly it doesn't take much of a time commitment weekly but I keep getting distracted or preoccupied during the signup window and missing the whole season
I'll be ready this time

Dejan Bimble posted:

hmmm good idea

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I loved fantasy basketball but it's just too much work compared to fantasy football. If I'm just setting it and forgetting it for the week or month I might as well not even be playing because what's the point.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

WhyteRyce posted:

If I'm just setting it and forgetting it for the week or month I might as well not even be playing because what's the point.
destroying and dominating your enemies

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Irma has arrived. Hundreds of billions in damages incoming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYQ_G2lDvQs

:rip: American Airlines Arena
:rip: Amway Center
:rip: Florida

Only 37 days to real NBA basketball.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Here's Duncan's fundraiser for the Virgin Islands which is insanely Tim Duncanish:

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/tim-duncan-hurricane-irma-us-virgin-islands/

"Every once in a while, people would get a generator and each family would take turns using it for a few hours at a time. The priority was always powering the lights and the fridge. As a kid I wanted to watch TV or play video games. (I had the original Nintendo, and Zelda had just come out.) But we knew we had to focus on what we needed, not on what we wanted.

Chef Boyardee was my guy. A distribution center was set up in our neighborhood, and cans of Chef Boyardee were some of the only meals available to us."

Tim Duncan has probably watched this video more than once:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDluReuJDOk

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i get fantasy basketball is more work than fantasy football, but fantasy baseball is widely popular and that's got to be even more work than fantasy basketball. so many more players, tons more games, etc. so i'm not sure that's the whole reason.

in any case, i see fantasy sports as a good way to learn about the players. i'd like to join one if anyone's doing an espn one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
As potentially laborious as fantasy can be, I remember in the aughties, whoever was designing it clearly wasn't super familiar with it so the website versions all were set up so only starters got points which really was a lot of work.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Rick posted:

As potentially laborious as fantasy can be, I remember in the aughties, whoever was designing it clearly wasn't super familiar with it so the website versions all were set up so only starters got points which really was a lot of work.

If you play with the bench getting points how is it even a game? The whole thing is on autopilot after the draft, apart from the occasional add drop

The B_36
Jul 10, 2012

Abel Wingnut posted:

i get fantasy basketball is more work than fantasy football, but fantasy baseball is widely popular and that's got to be even more work than fantasy basketball. so many more players, tons more games, etc. so i'm not sure that's the whole reason.

in any case, i see fantasy sports as a good way to learn about the players. i'd like to join one if anyone's doing an espn one.

I think someone mentioned it before, but baseball is actually probably easier than basketball because they have games every single day bascially, so there's less need to change your roster once it's set, except for injuries. Each of your players is going to play 6 or 7 games per week in baseball, and once per week in football. Basketball players can play 1 game one week, then 4 games the next week, there's so much variation there that you'd have to be tinkering with your lineup every day. Instead of fiddling around with your lineup based on which of your players you think is going to perform well that week, you'd be fiddling around replacing Lebron in your lineup with Evan Turner because the Cavs just play on Thursday this week, and whichever team is stupid enough to play Evan Turner is on an East Coast swing playing 4 games in 5 nights that week.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

playoffs are also annoying for basketball b/c of all the scheduled rest games that most of us don't find out about until the final weeks of the season. This does make drafting more interesting, and has historically devalued Spurs, but now that most teams are into resting players it makes the fantasy playoffs a bit random/underwhelming.
Anyway, fantasy basketball is still fun if only b/c it creates legends like Troy Murphy and Shawn Marion

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Pau in Memphis was a crazy fantasy mvp.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Young KD won me a couple of consecutive leagues

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
https://twitter.com/sam_amick/status/907234619069628416

As opposed to the current:

You'd probably see teams at the end of the lottery jumping a lot more. I like this a lot more than the mostly dumb extreme fixes but it'll still be harder to climb out of the cellar

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't like this, I don't think it would stop teams from doing what Brooklyn did and get really bad despite not having picks. All you'd do is keep teams in that bad state longer.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember Kenny Faried being a fantasy champ for me for a few seasons and then being kinda sad watching his real world value slowly decline.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Vucevic was a fantasy stud for a while when he was averaging 12 rpg.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Probably the best fantasy stud ever who wasn't also like an MVP-level player was AK47

Then when he tailed off there was Gerald Wallace for a year or two

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/907324753077260288

quote:

Game day and it’s time to focus in. … Is you ready, I can feel you breathing heavy, keep it steady. I just gotta pretend that I got it all together when I don’t. Probably wanna throw up but I won’t … just breathe.
Breathe in, breathe out, listen to my voice breathe in, breathe out. (Expletive) you ain’t got a choice, breathe in, breathe out. I can feel my hands sweaty, I can feel my legs heavy.

What is the opposite of the mamba mentality?

Also

quote:

LeBron shot 79% while Brown was on the court in the Eastern Conference finals.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Dexo posted:

https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/907324753077260288

What is the opposite of the mamba mentality?

Also

Hahah I think it's cute. He's like 10 years old.

Thank god the Celtics got Marcus Morris to guard Lebron tho

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I don't think this kid has "it"
have him study under S-Jax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I don't think this kid has "it"
have him study under S-Jax

You need a tattoo of praying hands holding a gun before SJax tutors you though.

• Locked thread