Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Iron Rose posted:

Would prefer that NPCs didn't look like blowup dolls with footlong penises?

Then I don't know what the gently caress you're even playing for, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Devorum posted:

I'm starting Survival for the first time and was wondering what tips you guys have.

Any perks that are absolutely necessary? Power armor or no power armor? Any mods that absolutely wreck the balance of Survival?

Learn where the beds, doctors, and good settlements are along the main routes you travel. I think the earliest doctor is in Covenant and that might be worth holding off on the quest there to keep her friendly.

Try to utilize stuff you wouldn't normally use like mines and whatnot to avoid direct combat. Stealth is also gonna be a huge help in survival. You want to avoid taking damage as much as possible to maximize your time spent exploring without restocking.

Make some good settlements as you explore the map to function as forward operating bases with all the usual essentials (beds so you can save and sleep, manual water pumps to drink from and refill bottles, crops for crafting and cooking, defenses that can kill any enemies if they happen to be near a settlement, radiation removing archway if you have the dlc, and shops when you can afford them, mainly a doctor)

Local leader, the no radiation from swimming perk, and strong back are all incredibly useful in survival with the first granting linked settlements, the second removing the crippling radiation from swimming, which is made a lot more dangerous in survival since radaway has major downsides, and the last giving more carrying capacity since ammo now has weight.

Power armor is a personal call. If you're going to go in guns blazing you probably want it, but other than that it's perfectly feasible to go without it.

Some mods will definitely wreck the balance, but I do recommend tweaking it a bit to find your ideal difficulty for survival. I run a 1x damage dealt/1x damage taken modifier and a mod that lowers the health of insects since I prefer the survival aspects to the combat aspects and hate fighting bugs, but there's a lot of fun mods that can make combat easier or harder, 5x/5x damage is incredibly fun if you enjoy the combat and want a more tense experience where one bullet changes the tide of combat drastically. There's also mods that will let you pick and choose aspects of survival to remove as you see fit, no manual saving being the usual choice for removal.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

If the creation club could be used so that larger teams can make expansion level content that doesn't take 3+ years to produce and was vetted by Bethesda, I'd be all over that. As it is it's shameless cash grab.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
On top of what all has been said, I'd add that you should always keep moving. Grenades and mines will one hit kill you, so you've got to always be a fast target. Especially since raiders turn into MLB pitchers when they get a Molotov in their hand.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Volkerball posted:

On top of what all has been said, I'd add that you should always keep moving. Grenades and mines will one hit kill you, so you've got to always be a fast target. Especially since raiders turn into MLB pitchers when they get a Molotov in their hand.

"I know, let's make a game mode where the AI can always hit you with a OHKO weapon that's useless in your hands! loving genius!"

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos

Volkerball posted:

Oh yeah, grenades suuuuuck in survival. Molotovs in particular make raiders incredibly deadly early on since they explode on impact, most likely killing you. Don't be ashamed to clear a few, go to a nearby bed to save, and work through them slowly.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

chaosapiant posted:

If the creation club could be used so that larger teams can make expansion level content that doesn't take 3+ years to produce and was vetted by Bethesda, I'd be all over that. As it is it's shameless cash grab.

basically this. bethsoft would have done better to get behind the team doing the Cascadia overhaul or something, but no, they went for the cheap and sleazy cash grab instead.

gently caress 'em, here's the ESL files to load what you like of the content: https://my.mixtape.moe/sssexz.7z

personally I reverted back to 1.9.4 because ENB and Transfer Settlements are yet to update to support 1.10.2 and i don't really give a flying poo poo about the CC mods.

maybe the backpack, i guess, but you can change the ESL to an ESM/P if you want to use it in a 1.9.4 game

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Well part of that issue is that longer mods generally take like a year and Bethesda can't be hosed waiting.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MikeJF posted:

Well part of that issue is that longer mods generally take like a year and Bethesda can't be hosed waiting.

They've put in restrictions on how much data can be put into a mod, meaning that modders right now, can ONLY make tiny lovely mods instead of Falskaar level stuff. And the way Pete Hines lawyers every loving term and defends this bullshit, he's made himself into a very impressive rear end in a top hat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

They've put in restrictions on how much data can be put into a mod, meaning that modders right now, can ONLY make tiny lovely mods instead of Falskaar level stuff. And the way Pete Hines lawyers every loving term and defends this bullshit, he's made himself into a very impressive rear end in a top hat.

Have they actually? I know that esl format has limits, but there's no reason they can't use esp if they need to. Or have they said there's a max size?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Devorum posted:

I'm starting Survival for the first time and was wondering what tips you guys have.

Any perks that are absolutely necessary? Power armor or no power armor? Any mods that absolutely wreck the balance of Survival?

Many people already gave good tips but I didn't see anyone mentioning the doctor located in the shack by the irradiated pool close to the place where Dans takes you for his first mission. It is imperative in the beginning that you know where this doctor is since you will need to travel to him to buy antibiotics until you can craft them yourself.

My main tip would be to beeline for crafting skills, medicine, armor and food. The armor is for surviving molotov cocktails and medicine and food is just plain needed. You should set up large farms so you can craft cup of noodles and generate massive amounts of purified water to drink/craft with/sell for caps.

Ammo takes up weight in survival and this fact together with stealth being important makes melee incredibly powerful in survival. The upside is that you can use all the ammo you find as currency, just sell it. Once I got passed the 1-hit-molotov-kills survival turned into the best fallout experience I have ever had. I did not use any mods but I did have every DLC installed.

Get a couple of points in lockpicking, go to the comic book store, pick the lock for the display case containing Grognak's Axe. Use this weapon until you can get to the location where you find Kremvh's Tooth.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

MikeJF posted:

Have they actually? I know that esl format has limits, but there's no reason they can't use esp if they need to. Or have they said there's a max size?

I think it's just the ESL limits I'm referring to; I was under the impression that would severely limit mod complexity. Is that not the case?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chaosapiant posted:

I think it's just the ESL limits I'm referring to; I was under the impression that would severely limit mod complexity. Is that not the case?

It is, but the purpose of ESL was to allow lots of tiny 'light' mods without breaking the mod limit in the engine. (all ESLs compile on load into a single ESM which occupies the last slot in your load order) What I'm saying is that if someone on creation club was going to make an expansion-sized product, there's no reason it couldn't be packaged as an ESP instead and have no limit problems.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

MikeJF posted:

It is, but the purpose of ESL was to allow lots of tiny 'light' mods without breaking the mod limit in the engine. (all ESLs compile on load into a single ESM which occupies the last slot in your load order) What I'm saying is that if someone on creation club was going to make an expansion-sized product, there's no reason it couldn't be packaged as an ESP instead and have no limit problems.

From a technical perspective this is probably true but I suspect that Bethesda is going to require all CC submissions to be ESL format only, so that they can minimize the overhead on their end (they want to to make money selling mods, not spend money curating them).

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TjyvTompa posted:

Many people already gave good tips but I didn't see anyone mentioning the doctor located in the shack by the irradiated pool close to the place where Dans takes you for his first mission. It is imperative in the beginning that you know where this doctor is since you will need to travel to him to buy antibiotics until you can craft them yourself.

My main tip would be to beeline for crafting skills, medicine, armor and food. The armor is for surviving molotov cocktails and medicine and food is just plain needed. You should set up large farms so you can craft cup of noodles and generate massive amounts of purified water to drink/craft with/sell for caps.

Ammo takes up weight in survival and this fact together with stealth being important makes melee incredibly powerful in survival. The upside is that you can use all the ammo you find as currency, just sell it. Once I got passed the 1-hit-molotov-kills survival turned into the best fallout experience I have ever had. I did not use any mods but I did have every DLC installed.

Get a couple of points in lockpicking, go to the comic book store, pick the lock for the display case containing Grognak's Axe. Use this weapon until you can get to the location where you find Kremvh's Tooth.

I loaded up a ton of mods, and I'm kind of regretting it. It's just...too much. Thinking about restarting with no mods. A lot of the ones that make things prettier are too much for the 5 year old laptop I'm stuck with at the moment, too.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
what would the fallout world look like once humans rebuild to the same level of civilization globally as before the 2077 nuclear apocalypse? and more importantly, how long will that take? according to bethesda, perhaps more than ten-thousand years. there will be no technologically rebuilt civilization but only a few disparate pockets of communities and organizations with access to technology and ability to progress back to old world levels with raiders and deathclaws between.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Fututor Magnus posted:

what would the fallout world look like once humans rebuild to the same level of civilization globally as before the 2077 nuclear apocalypse? and more importantly, how long will that take? according to bethesda, perhaps more than ten-thousand years. there will be no technologically rebuilt civilization but only a few disparate pockets of communities and organizations with access to technology and ability to progress back to old world levels with raiders and deathclaws between.

to be fair the reason for this is the same reason that, in hundreds of years, the elder scrolls world has made no technological advances beyond hitting guys with swords

arguably they've regressed if you consider how far pauldron technology has fallen since the morrowind era

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Wolfsheim posted:

arguably they've regressed if you consider how far pauldron technology has fallen since the morrowind era

Pauldrons are small potatoes. People could actually learn the ability to fly back then, and not just jumping very high! (...they had the market cornered on that too, though. RIP Tarhiel)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Fututor Magnus posted:

As always the answer to this is to ignore Bethesda and look at the Interplay/Obsidian version of the FO universe. FO1 is more or less a generation after the apocalypse and everything is mad-max style hosed up. FO2 is a generation after that and things are starting to look mildly normal-ish. Mud hut villages springing up that depend on agriculture plus a few more recognizably modern communities springing up out of the ruins of old cities, complete with trading companies moving scarce commodities (water) from point to point for a profit. Eventually you get the first stirrings of a government as people both try to raid and loot these sources of wealth and others try to protect them.

FONV is about 100 years-ish beyond that point, and you've got no bullshit nation-states developed from what were effectively city states and Hanseatic League-style trading associations in FO2. poo poo isn't 100% on the up and up, but you have complex, developed economies and fully developed internal politics in the NCR. People are manufacturing new things as well - FONV makes it abundantly clear that most of the guns you see are new manufacture using old plans rather than relics of the pre-war era. The main tension in the game is a clash of nations with organized militaries trying to sort out who controls the as yet unclaimed land between them. Hell, it's worth noting that based on talking to people in the game, FONV is essentially out on the frontier. It's not just a western aesthetically, you are out on the as-yet uncivilized fringe bordering what, if you read between the lines, is a more or less rebuilt society in the NCR. THe people out around New Vegas are the same basic character types you see in most frontier societies - the ones who either can't or won't fit in and/or succeed in the developed society that the mining towns etc lie on the fringe of.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cyrano4747 posted:

As always the answer to this is to ignore Bethesda and look at the Interplay/Obsidian version of the FO universe. FO1 is more or less a generation after the apocalypse and everything is mad-max style hosed up. FO2 is a generation after that and things are starting to look mildly normal-ish. Mud hut villages springing up that depend on agriculture plus a few more recognizably modern communities springing up out of the ruins of old cities, complete with trading companies moving scarce commodities (water) from point to point for a profit. Eventually you get the first stirrings of a government as people both try to raid and loot these sources of wealth and others try to protect them.

FONV is about 100 years-ish beyond that point, and you've got no bullshit nation-states developed from what were effectively city states and Hanseatic League-style trading associations in FO2. poo poo isn't 100% on the up and up, but you have complex, developed economies and fully developed internal politics in the NCR. People are manufacturing new things as well - FONV makes it abundantly clear that most of the guns you see are new manufacture using old plans rather than relics of the pre-war era. The main tension in the game is a clash of nations with organized militaries trying to sort out who controls the as yet unclaimed land between them. Hell, it's worth noting that based on talking to people in the game, FONV is essentially out on the frontier. It's not just a western aesthetically, you are out on the as-yet uncivilized fringe bordering what, if you read between the lines, is a more or less rebuilt society in the NCR. THe people out around New Vegas are the same basic character types you see in most frontier societies - the ones who either can't or won't fit in and/or succeed in the developed society that the mining towns etc lie on the fringe of.

The simplest way to explain it is that Bethesda made their games to be deliberately post-apocalyptic, Fallouts 1, 2 & New Vegas were made as games were the setting is, among other things, after an apocalypse.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Keeshhound posted:

The simplest way to explain it is that Bethesda made their games to be deliberately post-apocalyptic, Fallouts 1, 2 & New Vegas were made as games were the setting is, among other things, after an apocalypse.

Sure, but this becomes a pain in the rear end because Bethesda has to hitch their poo poo to an existing IP. If Bethesda were to just make Blowed Up World: The Game whey wouldn't need to deal with the problem that people are still living in bombed out ruins in Boston 300 years after the apocalypse. Generations have been born, had children, their children had children, and their children's children had children without anyone having the idea to do more than put some salvage corrugated steel sheeting over holes in walls.

It becomes even more egregious when they directly reference the poo poo happening over on the west coast. During the bit where you invade Kellogg's memories you get to hear him talking about doing poo poo in the NCR, about the government out there, etc.

I have no problem with post apocalyptic, but trying to shoe-horn this poo poo into an existing continuity just breaks things. Doubly so because you can't even hand-wave FO1 and FO2 as old games from way back when so shut up grandpa, FONV wasn't that long ago and really built upon that branch of the lore.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Cyrano4747 posted:

Sure, but this becomes a pain in the rear end because Bethesda has to hitch their poo poo to an existing IP. If Bethesda were to just make Blowed Up World: The Game whey wouldn't need to deal with the problem that people are still living in bombed out ruins in Boston 300 years after the apocalypse. Generations have been born, had children, their children had children, and their children's children had children without anyone having the idea to do more than put some salvage corrugated steel sheeting over holes in walls.

It becomes even more egregious when they directly reference the poo poo happening over on the west coast. During the bit where you invade Kellogg's memories you get to hear him talking about doing poo poo in the NCR, about the government out there, etc.

I have no problem with post apocalyptic, but trying to shoe-horn this poo poo into an existing continuity just breaks things. Doubly so because you can't even hand-wave FO1 and FO2 as old games from way back when so shut up grandpa, FONV wasn't that long ago and really built upon that branch of the lore.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I think calling the Bethesda games "Fallout" was a mistake and they should have just gone with "The Elder Scrolls: Apocalypse," I just meant that if you ever needed an easy short hand for the difference in design philosophies, "Post-Apocalyptic" vs "After an Apocalypse" is a decent way to categorize it.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Cyrano4747 posted:

4 is actually a little bit better about it than 3 because farms dot the landscape and things only started to get bad again once the Minutemen started falling apart, which seems to have happened pretty recently. A bunch of the raider groups actually have pretty livable situations setup as opposed to just living in lovely rusted shacks (even if they're all hostile to you, there is some interplay between the brewery guys, the ones underneath the church and a couple other factions and the resources they're protecting). They also imply that the Institute has been deliberately destabilizing things for the last few decades since that government council or whatever fell apart.

Like, it's always gonna be dumb that people live within a hundred feet of centuries-old skeletons and eating centuries-old junk food, but the world 'fits' together a lot better than 3. They just don't let you interact with it very well.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
How many quests in Fallout 4 aren't some variant of a shoot gallery? More than 3? Even the ones that have kind of fun concepts like the robot boat are basically shooting lots of opponents with some dialog interspersed.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.
Are people still pretending that Bethesda don't own the IP and that therefore everything they do to the franchise/approve of for use is canon, and that they can change the history of the series as they want?

Kokoro Wish fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Sep 11, 2017

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Kokoro Wish posted:

Are people still pretending that Bethesda don't own the IP and that therefore everything they do to the franchise/approve of for use is therefore canon, and that they can change the history of the series as they want?

The true fallout is the one where a bespectacled radscorpion plays chess, not that baby comic book bullshit

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Kokoro Wish posted:

Are people still pretending that Bethesda don't own the IP and that therefore everything they do to the franchise/approve of for use is canon, and that they can change the history of the series as they want?

I don't think anyone's doing that? :confused:

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I don't think anyone's doing that? :confused:

Well, I was trying to but Kokoro Wish has to come in here with them negative waves.

On that note, did any of the early Fallouts try to make a Kelly's Heroes reference? Because a hippy stoner dude trying to use a custom Sherman tank to carry out a bank heist strikes me as something that should have made it into a Fallout game.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hobo on Fire posted:

Well, I was trying to but Kokoro Wish has to come in here with them negative waves.

On that note, did any of the early Fallouts try to make a Kelly's Heroes reference? Because a hippy stoner dude trying to use a custom Sherman tank to carry out a bank heist strikes me as something that should have made it into a Fallout game.

I could be wrong, but I think Jack and Diane from the Great Khans might say something about negative waves.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Kokoro Wish posted:

Just because you have the legal right to add to a series doesn't mean you can force fans to like or accept your additions. For more info, see: Brian Herbert.

To be clear, Fallout 3 & 4 aren't nearly THAT bad, I just kind of hate how they thoughtlessly re-use stuff from the previous games. I would have liked to see the East Coast have entirely new threats and factions, rather then just Super Mutants, BoS and Enclave all over again.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

is this the mods thread as well or? because i can't seem to find it if this isn't it

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bob NewSCART posted:

is this the mods thread as well or? because i can't seem to find it if this isn't it

Fallout 4 Modding: By the people, for the people. You feel me?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Lots of neat anecdotes about the development of Fallout1/2. Like Tin Cain writing the famous opening lines during Simpsons commercial breaks, as a last minute rewrite of a supposedly awful intro. First Boyarsky interview in a while, too I think. He calls out, if diplomatically, Bethesda diminishing the retrofuturism aspect of Fallout's aesthetic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbCxcq4Q3ws

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Did Bethesda really diminish it? I feel like it's a softer touch in the west coast trilogy whereas Bethesda lays it on pretty heavy at times.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Timeless Appeal posted:

Did Bethesda really diminish it? I feel like it's a softer touch in the west coast trilogy whereas Bethesda lays it on pretty heavy at times.

I was unclear. He meant moving the aesthetic from 50s retrofuturism more towards just plain 50s in a lot of aspects.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Fututor Magnus posted:

Honestly, they should be getting pretty close by now. Fallout's established tech level is good enough that the Gun Runners are actually manufacturing new modern firearms, and if they can do that then they have all the engineering knowledge and tools to get up to 1930's US levels already without considering what the Brotherhood could tell them about truly modern tech.

Hell, the East Coast Brotherhood (if we take the FO3 expansions as canon) has possession of most everything the Enclave knew at the time, and they could build new Advanced Power Armor and Vertibirds.

None of this excuses posed pre-war skeltons in Boston 300 years after the blast, though. The weather hasn't stopped there, how the hell would an exposed body not be destroyed, this isn't the interior California deserts. Even the super mutants are a relatively new thing there thanks to The Institute experimenting with FEV, so there really isn't any excuse for random pre-war food and bodies lying around downtown.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Sep 12, 2017

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

The skeletons/food/weapons laying about and many buildings still being relatively intact has given me this feeling that maybe Fallout 4 was intended to take place right after the bombs fell.

Sand Dan
May 15, 2017

welcum 2 our
sick cyberpunk h e l l
There's a 210 year old skeleton miraculously balancing on top of a 210 year old ladder. It has clothes but no shoes.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Rehashing this discussion for the 400th time almost makes you wish for a nuclear winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Turn the record over you ain't heard nothing yet!

• Locked thread