Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
i had to look up what technogizmo he was making fun of and to my surprise it was instagram

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

mrmcd posted:

I don't know why you'd terrify everyone by saying the old version is deprecated and while simultaneously launching the same thing with a different name. I guess some product person really wanted to underline the difference

you don't have to remove much to make this about a huge set of google products

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
quality product

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

lol

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my favourite part is how it decided I meant 'too' instead of 'to'

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

it's clearly trying to save you from salmonella or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
thought it was going to be a suicide joke at first

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

the joke is that this is actually worse. google has so few women in higher paying technical roles that it massively skews their their pay balance.

damore's whole thesis was that this is cool and good and totally normal, and google just confirmed that that's their view as well.

its bad but the gender ratio just matches the gender ratio of comp sci graduates

the real problem is women not enrolling in computer poo poo, probably because they get scared away by goons in high school

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Perplx posted:

its bad but the gender ratio just matches the gender ratio of comp sci graduates

the real problem is women not enrolling in computer poo poo, probably because they get scared away by goons in high school

Yeah, if you actually ask women who were in CS education or careers and then left, it's almost always some combination of harassment, coworkers with lovely and sexist attitudes, and corporate cultures that reward people with no life outside of work.

Maybe "beep boop video game computer for boys" marketing in the 80 kept lots of women from being steered into the funnel in the first place, but that doesn't change the fact engineers are often insufferable assholes.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Perplx posted:

or by goons in freshmen CS classes

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Perplx posted:

it's actually both of the problems at once.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

read this
https://www.wired.com/2017/05/cant-retain-women-dont-recruit/

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
yeah, that statement about cs education is called the pipeline argument. you can see a technical career as a sort of pipe full of people, starting from early education and ending at, i dunno, becoming a universally-hailed technology leader and visionary and dying of ineffective fruit

it is basically true that, statistically, at every point in that pipe there are more men than women. but it is also true that the ratio gets more and more skewed as you move along the pipe, i.e. that women are more likely to leave at every stage in their career. and that seems like pretty strong evidence to corroborate what you can hear by just, y'know, actually listening to women in the field, which is that (1) they get treated like poo poo, not all the time but enough to make them really second-guess whether they want to deal with this for the rest of their lives, and (2) they're consistently held to higher standards than their peers just because they're women (which has been repeatedly experimentally verified), and (3) they tend to get pressured into less and less technical roles, with a fairly typical route being that there's some administrative / managerial problem that needs to be solved but which nobody else is willing to do, and then they get asked to keep doing similar work, and none of that is seen as a technical contribution so they get quickly stereotyped as a non-technical figure who's basically peripheral to the success of the project

also, the ratios at many points in the pipeline have gotten steadily worse over the last forty years, so

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Perplx posted:

nah, a lot of the women who do get comp sci degrees and get hired for tech jobs still end up leaving the industry after a few years

lovely co-workers and lovely bosses are a thousand times worse than lovely classmates, and the lovely corporate culture that protects them all is the finishing touch on turning tech work into an unending hell for women

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

rapeface posted:

my favourite part is how it decided I meant 'too' instead of 'to'

my favorite part is the only part that caused the image to be shared, too

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Powaqoatse posted:

um

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Powaqoatse posted:

Was the time actually supposed to be 0630 and not 1830?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Schadenboner posted:

Was the time actually supposed to be 0630 and not 1830?

jfc

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

idg why voice interfaces are such A Thing other than the fact that they're new and nerds like iron man movies too much, I mean sure there's appropriate applications but not for everything

I'd guess developers are tired of spending so much time on front end code when they can just have a giant gordian knot of stupid heuristics to work on instead

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
voice interfaces can be very handy for actions that might otherwise require multiple menus/actions to go through

or the occasional hands-free situation

also those two things kind of overlap

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like I use voice stuff for navigation all the time, because I'm either driving or its just plain faster than typing in an address and everything

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Powaqoatse posted:

Idk what I'm doing in a week let alone in a year

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
stebe OS wouldn't have that problem

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

lancemantis posted:

voice interfaces can be very handy for actions that might otherwise require multiple menus/actions to go through

SWITCH TO COMMAND MODE
MOUSEGRID 2 1 9
SWITCH TO NORMAL MODE

the second thing any text to speech program should implement is phonetic alphabet support and an "i spell" keyword

the first thing is, of course, the problem it's meant to solve

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lancemantis posted:

only if they work exactly as intended, if not they quickly become less handy than using a gui

the base issue is that it's a lower fidelity input from the user and you have to assume a lot of intent so they don't have to stand there slowly saying "sunday, september seventeenth at six thirty pm pacific time"

the feedback is lower fidelity too, did it parse what you're saying incorrectly? too much background noise? ambiguous phrasing? I guess the intent is that both the user and the system adapt to each other but then every time you need to do something new you're back at iterative course correction

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

qirex posted:

idg why voice interfaces are such A Thing other than the fact that they're new and nerds like iron man movies too much, I mean sure there's appropriate applications but not for everything

I'd guess developers are tired of spending so much time on front end code when they can just have a giant gordian knot of stupid heuristics to work on instead

the current investor storytime is a complete lack of interaction by the user beyond turning on the app/thing because the magic AI will know exactly what you want at that moment via the context at the moment (and massive amounts of collected private information).

some companies go the extra mile and totally remove the ability for the user to override the decisions of the magic AI because it goes against their vision. kind of similar to how some property owners plant spiky bushes whenever a desire path forms instead of taking the hint that the current paved paths aren't correctly laid out.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

voice commands are useless until i can order my connected internet device to kill

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qirex posted:

they're hardly new, or came from iron man.

its been a staple of sci fi for like 75 years of course people are going to keep trying to do it even though it usually sucks

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
when you ask someone to do something do you fill a form or do you just say what you want? people want the same from cumpueters

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I use the voice interface on my phone for a few basic tasks like setting alarms or entering gps directions, because it's usually effective and it's quicker than clicking a couple of app buttons and typing something in

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

when you ask someone to do something do you fill a form or do you just say what you want? people want the same from cumpueters

yeah but they super obviously can't do that yet and it seems like everyone is focused on making them "better" by making them more complex

something that's crappy/ok at 10,000 things isn't as useful as something that's good at 100 things

same thing with smart home stuff, in a frictionless environment it's the starship loving enterprise but in the real world it's all incompatible standards and data breaches and my lighbulb is ddosing my network

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
eh, imperfect voice control is still generally good. being able to just take out my phone, push a button, and add something to my calendar in ten seconds is really useful even if i have to spend a minute cleaning it up / filling it out. that's something you can reasonably do in the middle of a conversation (assuming you do the clean-up later) instead of being a rude interruption. i mean you wouldn't want to use it somewhere you can't fix or ignore the results, don't use voice to steer your car, but even with limitations it's still good

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

qirex posted:

for the simple reason that the tech industry thrives on novelty that they misconstrue for "innovation"

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Stymie posted:

for the simple reason that the tech industry thrives on novelty that they misconstrue for "innovation"

oh god I'm agreeing with this post help

fishmech posted:

they're hardly new, or came from iron man.

its been a staple of sci fi for like 75 years of course people are going to keep trying to do it even though it usually sucks

yeah but how much of the sci-fi trope is a product of people thinking it is a good idea vs the authors looking at the limitations of the various formats and going "gently caress it, just have the characters directly state what they are doing" because that was good enough and they needed to churn out the poo poo as fast as possible?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

there are tasks that are well-suited to physical interfaces and there are tasks that are well-suited to voice interfaces. these tasks do not often overlap. shocking news to the nerd herd but true.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Stymie posted:

novelty fits well with the levels of funding venture capital provides

honestly it fits well with the whole venture capital model

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shifty Pony posted:

yeah but how much of the sci-fi trope is a product of people thinking it is a good idea vs the authors looking at the limitations of the various formats and going "gently caress it, just have the characters directly state what they are doing" because that was good enough and they needed to churn out the poo poo as fast as possible?

i mean it was literally just replacing a human servant type you might have used in older fiction with "the machine does this now"

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

well how are else you supposed to order up some transparent aluminum? use a physical input device, like some kind of primitive animal? that hardly seems high-tech at all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Shifty Pony posted:

like fishmech said its a narrative device you dont show your character working on a computer for an hour

saying it out loud domains to the audience what youre doing and takes no time

• Locked thread