Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less
The enhancements in JP for Noctis and Onion Knight are out, and they are pretty nice looking.

Noctis - Apparently they've decided to focus on letting him ACTUALLY use his limit break instead of waiting years for it to charge. Also, enabling more uses of Point-Blank (which we don't have on GL)

選ばれし王 -- -- +30% HP/MP
+1: DEF/SPR Up
+2: ATK/MAG Up, High Tide

シフトブレイク -- 52 250% ST Physical Attack + Ignore 50% DEF & ST 3 Turn -45% ATK/DEF Debuff & Grant 零距離シフトブレイク [58 MP] For 1 Turn
+1: Damage Up (M)
+2: ATK/DEF Debuff Up (S), Amount of Turns 零距離シフトブレイク can be used Up (S)

リンクアタック -- 48 100% ST Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +45% ATK/MAG
+2: Self LB Gauge Refill + Enables use of 零距離シフトブレイク for 1 turn

釣り -- 14 1 Turn +100% Chance to be Targeted
+1: Duration Up (S)
+2: Allows use of 零距離シフトブレイク for 1 Turn

Onion Knight - The enhance to his passive means if the numbers are right, you'll actually want to use the Onion Helm and Onion Armor on him. Also, full gamut of status immunity (who cares about silence he's not a caster) . Also, they figured out a way to enhance Onion Cutter without actually touching it. By making his elemental strikes power up Onion Slicer and Cutter for the round after. Bonus: He gets imbue for the element, so you can run a non-elemental build OK, meaning holy crap Onion Sword / Aigalon Arm shenanigans are GO.

クリスタルの加護 -- -- LB Fill Rate +100%
+1: Poison/Sleep/Confuse/Virus Immunity
+2: ATK/DEF/SPR Up when equipped with Sword/Helm/Light Armor

風の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Wind Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Earth Resist
+1: Self Wind Imbue
+2: Damage Up (S) and on the next turn only, damage of オニオンスライス and オニオンカッター increased (XL)

土の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Wind Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Wind Resist
+1: Self Earth Imbue
+2: Damage Up (S) and on the next turn only, damage of オニオンスライス and オニオンカッター increased (XL)

水の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Water Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Fire Resist
+1: Self Water Imbue

火の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Fire Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Water Resist
+1: Self Fire Imbue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Hein is a loving dumb fight and the devs who made it should be thrown in to an active volcano. It sure was fun having him suddenly not get an elemental weakness when using barrier shift at 30% hp or so, being forced to restart, and going 30+ rounds without seeing ice vulnerability a single time.

e: Also that he can confuse a unit, hit it 2-3 times with melee attacks, and that unit is still confused.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Glad I decided to start trying out macros on Memu. Gaining 20% per TMR a day has greatly changed how I spend my lapis and play the game now and I have so many units to grind for later.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

Dana Crysalis posted:

The enhancements in JP for Noctis and Onion Knight are out, and they are pretty nice looking.

Noctis - Apparently they've decided to focus on letting him ACTUALLY use his limit break instead of waiting years for it to charge. Also, enabling more uses of Point-Blank (which we don't have on GL)

選ばれし王 -- -- +30% HP/MP
+2: ATK/MAG Up, High Tide

シフトブレイク -- 52 250% ST Physical Attack + Ignore 50% DEF & ST 3 Turn -45% ATK/DEF Debuff & Grant 零距離シフトブレイク [58 MP] For 1 Turn
+1: Damage Up (M)
+2: ATK/DEF Debuff Up (S), Amount of Turns 零距離シフトブレイク can be used Up (S)

リンクアタック -- 48 100% ST Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +45% ATK/MAG
+2: Self LB Gauge Refill + Enables use of 零距離シフトブレイク for 1 turn

釣り -- 14 1 Turn +100% Chance to be Targeted
+1: Duration Up (S)
+2: Allows use of 零距離シフトブレイク for 1 Turn

Onion Knight - The enhance to his passive means if the numbers are right, you'll actually want to use the Onion Helm and Onion Armor on him. Also, full gamut of status immunity (who cares about silence he's not a caster) . Also, they figured out a way to enhance Onion Cutter without actually touching it. By making his elemental strikes power up Onion Slicer and Cutter for the round after. Bonus: He gets imbue for the element, so you can run a non-elemental build OK, meaning holy crap Onion Sword / Aigalon Arm shenanigans are GO.

クリスタルの加護 -- -- LB Fill Rate +100%
+1: Poison/Sleep/Confuse/Virus Immunity
+2: ATK/DEF/SPR Up when equipped with Sword/Helm/Light Armor

風の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Wind Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Earth Resist
+1: Self Wind Imbue

土の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Wind Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Wind Resist
+1: Self Earth Imbue

水の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Water Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Fire Resist
+1: Self Water Imbue

火の輝き -- 45 380% ST 12 Hit Fire Physical Attack & AoE 3 Turn +70% Water Resist
+1: Self Fire Imbue

Upgrading the passive is a no brainer but christ, I'm not looking forward to having to save up enough crysts for four attack enhancements.

Dana Crysalis
Jun 27, 2007
the title-less

PaybackJack posted:

Upgrading the passive is a no brainer but christ, I'm not looking forward to having to save up enough crysts for four attack enhancements.

At the very least I'd just enhance the one you can imperil easiest. Ace users would go Fire, Tidus ones Water, etc.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dragonturtle posted:

Glad I decided to start trying out macros on Memu. Gaining 20% per TMR a day has greatly changed how I spend my lapis and play the game now and I have so many units to grind for later.

Is it frustrating to figure out?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The only frustrating part is the occasional "stopped working" or random rear end add that makes it through.

It is pretty much plug and play.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Bruceski posted:

Is it frustrating to figure out?

Nah, I had no trouble setting up Memu at all. There are directions on what to do at https://www.ffbemacro.com/memu-installation.html for it. The big issues are the occasional crashes or connection errors that pop up that can screw up the macro.

Oddly enough I've not seen a single ad on the version of Memu I downloaded.

You might want to wait until your rank is higher to start macroing though. The lapis resets will only reset you to your max amount of energy plus your current level of energy which won't be too high at your current rank so you'll spend considerably more lapis to grind TMRs.

Dragonturtle fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 10, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
Haven't seen a rainbow since March or maybe April. I am not including the guaranteed ticket pull.

This is starting to teeter on boring.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

hagie posted:

Haven't seen a rainbow since March or maybe April. I am not including the guaranteed ticket pull.

This is starting to teeter on boring.

We're getting daily pulls and a free 10+1 ticket in a few days at least. The FFXI banner is coming soon too which I'm really looking forward to to fill up a couple holes in my units gear.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Cartoon Man posted:

I recently enhanced my Agrias and was jokingly made fun of in the discord for paying the King's ransom to do it. No lie it's extremely expensive. But I recently read a post on Reddit that made me feel better. Apparently the real value is going come when we get the 10 man fights, which are coming soon. Your not allowed to bring a friend unit and you're also not allowed to bring a duplicate unit. So if you're like me and have a Cid but no Darklandu, then this would definitely seem worth doing.

A small note in Agrias's favour in case anyone out there is like me and can't pull a goddamn Zidane to save their life. Unlike Orlandeau, Agrias can use Bowie Knife.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

beergod posted:

Yo this game is good as hell. I bought the bundles and I have 6 4-star dudes now.

Should I eat the duplicate one for exp?

I've got them to the cap; should I run the main story so I can get the materials to boost their star ranks?

Don't go smushing, feeding, or selling real units until you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Using stat pot units or metal catuars is fine. But feeding real units to each other for exp is dumb and will only lead to regrets.

hamburgers in pockets
Jun 18, 2005

Yeah, that's blood. It'll get better before the show.

jetz0r posted:

Don't go smushing, feeding, or selling real units until you know what the gently caress you're doing.

Using stat pot units or metal catuars is fine. But feeding real units to each other for exp is dumb and will only lead to regrets.

Yeah, basically you're going to want to hold onto multiple characters who have really good TMs like Zidane's Dual Wield, Shine's Quick Assault and pretty much every 5* base character. Trust me, spending the lapis on expanding your roster is going to be a lot more worth it than smushing together characters with TMs you really, really want extra copies of.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

don't ever do this godawful trial, its not worth the effort.

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

I have two Xons. His drop boost ability stacks, right? And how many Lockes should I keep around?

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Should I use my rare summon tickets to just summon a bunch of dudes or is there a reason to horde them?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

beergod posted:

Should I use my rare summon tickets to just summon a bunch of dudes or is there a reason to horde them?

The only thing you'd be wasting is the opportunity cost of using those tickets later, so if there is a banner with stuff you want than roll, otherwise save them for banners that actually have stuff you want.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
If you're starting out I'd recommend using them and rerolling if you don't get one of the top tier units. You can make due without them but they make an enormous difference.

If you're talking about in general - you're usually best off waiting until you find a banner that has one or two units you really want. You're not necessarily going to get said units but at least you have an increased chance to get something good while you Hoover up the garbage and random good things like Zidanes.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
Are onion knight or Gilgamesh worth rolling for? They look cool.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Onion Knight yes if you need a good chainer, Gilgamesh no unless you *really* want him and/or the genji glove.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Genji Glove is a great TMR, but given how lovely he is as a 5* unit compared to the current meta, I wasn't too excited to see him when I pulled him during the Nier raid as an off-banner and him being the 5* makes that a no-pull banner for me. I'm glad the devs apparently agree that the dev choice banner sucks and have kept the Onion Knight banner for daily pulls.

Abel has a TMR that is sort of really nice, but with some trade-offs. If a newer player does not have Dual Wield it might or might not be a decent source for it. I like it on my Fohlen because I am just a tiny spender in this game and I'll take anything I can get. But in optimal terms it limits his damage potential since he could be using a sword and corresponding specialized damage materia. That's the story with anyone using it. Very few characters get a bonus from using daggers, and I don't personally know of dagger damage enhancing materia. But if you are not worried about optimal and are fine with plenty good, it's convenient in that it takes care of both a decently high damage weapon and dual wield without materia or accessory slots used. You can make the most of that and get good results from it on knife using units.

The Onion Knight banner has good TMRs on it but the only good unit is Onion Knight himself. He is a great chainer with some great party utility from his resist buffs, and enhancements in JP just shored up some weaker areas in his kit and made him even better. My understanding is even prior to enhancements he was still commonly used in JP because he's a really good unit. I dunno if I'd recommend pulling hard for him as a longer term player but if you're just starting I think he's slick personally. Not pulling hard for him though, still saving my tickets for any % of a shot at Ayaka. I just remember what a game changer Tillith was and people on reddit talk about Ayaka like she changes the game to the same degree and leaves Tillith behind similarly.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 11, 2017

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
I'm steamrolling the campaign with my level 60 dudes. Is this the content I should be doing now and with level 60 dudes? I just click auto for every battle and everything dies.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Couple questions I've been too lazy to think through:

-- How do I know if I've reached the 300% ATK modifier cap? I'm building Luneth with Moonblad and Excal as a big-dick finisher for DV and O with the same weapons (eventually). I just have no clue when I should stop worrying about percent increase and swap in flat values instead.

-- When chaining, I've been setting up with a light sword and dark sword for O and DV. The Element Chain is supposed to do "build up chain faster," right? But the displayed chain number is still the same, right? So how, as a player, am I supposed to tell whether I doing gud or not gud?

Thanks!

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

Couple questions I've been too lazy to think through:

-- How do I know if I've reached the 300% ATK modifier cap? I'm building Luneth with Moonblad and Excal as a big-dick finisher for DV and O with the same weapons (eventually). I just have no clue when I should stop worrying about percent increase and swap in flat values instead.

-- When chaining, I've been setting up with a light sword and dark sword for O and DV. The Element Chain is supposed to do "build up chain faster," right? But the displayed chain number is still the same, right? So how, as a player, am I supposed to tell whether I doing gud or not gud?

Thanks!

There really isnt a way ingame, but you can put the setup into the unit calcultor site and it will tell you how much of your passives is being used
https://www.ffbedb.com/tool/unit-calculator

Also element chains must match element. If its done correctly you should see the words elemental chain pop up.
An elemental chain increases the damage multiplier faster, but it doesn't directly effect the chain count itself.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

beergod posted:

I'm steamrolling the campaign with my level 60 dudes. Is this the content I should be doing now and with level 60 dudes? I just click auto for every battle and everything dies.

Can you make your level 60 dudes into level 80 or 100 dudes? Work on that.

There's a couple choke points where you will
be glad you did. Have you beaten the battle where you're ambushed in a town with no friend units available? That's the first one.

Getting all the available goodies from the story mode and colosseum will get you a really nice bed of equipment to tackle the trials and events.

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Tengames posted:

There really isnt a way ingame, but you can put the setup into the unit calcultor site and it will tell you how much of your passives is being used
https://www.ffbedb.com/tool/unit-calculator

Also element chains must match element. If its done correctly you should see the words elemental chain pop up.
An elemental chain increases the damage multiplier faster, but it doesn't directly effect the chain count itself.

ah perfect. yep, been running Luneth at 320% for a while now, I guess. Thanks!!

To clarify, "the damage multiplier" is some unseen portion of the damage calculation, right? And my approach of giving DV and Orlandeau both Excals and Moonblades SHOULD make this multiplier higher than if O had light + no element and DV had dark + no element?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

beergod posted:

The story starts out ridiculously easy to walk through since they expected you to be using poo poo like Shadow and Bedile and building them up since that's all we started with. Once you get on to later islands, enemies will get tougher and bosses will require actual strategy and more than just hitting auto.

In terms of difficulty, look at the Castle Hein event for an example - story mode dungeon difficulty starts at the rock bottom there with BGN rank, reaches ADV by about the third island or so, PRO by area five or six, and then coasts there. There are a few outlier bosses that are out and out hard, but for the most part, nothing will get past the difficulty of an ELT stage on a farming event.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.

Cobalt60 posted:

To clarify, "the damage multiplier" is some unseen portion of the damage calculation, right? And my approach of giving DV and Orlandeau both Excals and Moonblades SHOULD make this multiplier higher than if O had light + no element and DV had dark + no element?

Normally, mixing elements and weapons like that is not a good idea, as the imperils and resists cause wonky damage calc numbers, but since both DV and TGC's imperil's are identical. Since they're both using only those elements, it SHOULDN'T cause any problems unless you're going against an enemy with either Holy or Dark Resist, in which case it would lessen your overall damage potential. It would be better to give them Holy + Nonelemental, or Dark + Nonelemental, and just focus on one type instead of mixing.

Ugato
Apr 9, 2009

We're not?
Except DV can randomly counter with a 100% imperil. You're better off sticking with Dark across the board unless you run into something with dark resistance.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

PDQ Law posted:

I think we're focusing on abilities you can use on turn 1, and from non-limited units. The wiki has a page with tabulated data (https://exvius.gamepedia.com/Unit_Comparison_Charts) but doesn't make that distinction.

Bumping this link from a few days ago because gently caress that's useful and makes me hate the wiki for not having this easily linked through their menu. I honestly have no idea how you found this.

MonkeyBench
Apr 3, 2012
Just pulled a Xon this morning (PST) how do I feel:confuoot:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

MonkeyBench posted:

Just pulled a Xon this morning (PST) how do I feel:confuoot:

Waylay is a full-party steal that's really going to boost your item income when going through story mode/colliseum. Once you level him up (at something like level 85 in 6-star) he has increased rare item drop rate which again is really gonna add up for things like cryst farming. Also gets a couple of nice status attacks, though that's niche and unlikely a reason you'd bring him over others. He's not some uberfighter, but in the long haul he's a very handy tool.

Ubiquitus
Nov 20, 2011

Got 4 slots

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Now that Dunes is over I guess I should finish Heine. Too many party comp choices to figure out so I'll ask here, what's my best bet?

Tanks: VoE, Wil, WoL, and Cecil
Support: Rik, Marie (awakened +2), 9S, Ilias, and Bran
Heal: Rem, Luka, and DC Ref
Mag damage: 2 Ashe, 2 D Fina (both +2 Ultima), T Terra, and Emp (no comet). My DFs have much higher Mag because I never TMd and L&A.

Also I obviously have access to overpowered goon friend units so they can cover whatever.

Also what do I need to do first turn on it?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

KDdidit posted:

Now that Dunes is over I guess I should finish Heine. Too many party comp choices to figure out so I'll ask here, what's my best bet?

Mag damage: 2 Ashe, 2 D Fina (both +2 Ultima), T Terra, and Emp (no comet). My DFs have much higher Mag because I never TMd and L&A.

Also I obviously have access to overpowered goon friend units so they can cover whatever.

Keep in mind I have not cleared it yet so I cannot say for certain, but between Marie, 9S, and Ilias, you could run both Ashes or both Finas, get a similarly kitted Ashe or DF, and just murder him by chaining the non-elemental nukes together.

Between those three, on Round 1 (and every 3 rounds, if it lasts that long), pop Love You All, Immunization, and your choice of either Spread Shield or Purge MAG/SPR. On your offturns, have Marie use Focus or dualcast Reflect (or Cura if Marie has a Healing Staff), drop whichever 9S spell you didn't use, and either use Guard Serum or have Ilias salve an item to heal you up. Have your nukers nuke at all times if possible, only stopping if they need to top off their MP. With that sort of team, you shouldn't be in any danger at all, I don't figure.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

you absolutely do not need a tank for heine, the only reason to bring one is veritas of earth for his stat debuff block.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.

KDdidit posted:

i would use marie, voe for break resists, 2 df and my lunera for elven song

you shouldn't have any problems

new kind of cat
May 8, 2007

Cry Havoc posted:

i would use marie, voe for break resists, 2 df and my lunera for elven song

you shouldn't have any problems

yeah, 2 awakaned d.fina's will have him dead in maybe 5-6 rounds? lol

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

Not even that. I killed him in 6 rounds with just 1 dfina by herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

And here I am stuck with the bikini version that hasn't received ability awakenings yet.

Thanks Gumi.

• Locked thread