Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
I've done dozens of public events, heroic and normal and not a single exotic engram. gently caress this bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Don't you get an exotic engram for doing the main quest line?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

As someone who never played D1, are you meant to pick a class and stick to it rather than make alts?

It feels that way - you don't even get to skip the intro mission if you start a new character, and while some stuff like consumables / tokens carry over between characters, they don't do anything until 20 anyway, and you don't get to carry over your sparrow or anything else that would make the second go-around slightly less time-consuming.

It's not a huge deal at the end of the day since the campaign is still pretty short, but it feels like a weird design choice for a loot-based game where the goal seems to be making a mad dash for the end of the campaign / lvl 20 so you can go do the more interesting stuff with other players.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Vintersorg posted:

I hope Xur isn't too expensive since we now get legendary marks fairly easy. Unlocked Mida last night but I was too tired to use it. Scouts are my loving jam tho and I never had this in D1.

I seem to only get helmets from my engrams - I got 3 warlock helms (some Minotaur one that boosts void energy, ahamkara and the cool glass dome of smoke that boosts all 3 cooldowns). At least lately. Earlier I got some slippers that make rifts reload your weapons automatically.

I wonder if you could use em to just blast into something non-stop. Haven't tested yet. I need to boost em as well since I took that shot a couple days ago.

Check this amazing auto rifle - it's like a goddamn laser that doesn't move. It's probably going to eat all my ARs and doesn't even show up in the app.

The range is nuts on this goddamn thing too!

gently caress man, post what the boots look like

actionjackson posted:

Does the Sturm quest actually have to be done on Nessus? Finding 10 fallen yellow bars on that planet is annoying

Beat, but in case anyone else wants advice but doesn't feel like looping the same lost sector repeatedly:

lovely orange bars also count, Sturm & Drang is easy if you do fallen public events on Nessus. Pretty sure those ether wretches count and you get like 12 in one event + captains. If it goes heroic you have a strong chance of knocking the quest step out in one shot, depending on who else is with you.

Also you can get Drang back if you accidentally delete it, go to the farm.

Anyway the reason I came to post:
I was playing yesterday and realized ever since I joined bone krew the clan screen was weird. That page always said "clan servers offline" and I figured it was because I had no clan. Once I joined krew thru bungie's site it now says I'm in, The Wild Women, here's some engrams & stats, rippin + tearin, etc. But it won't load the clan roster so I can't see if anyone's on, and the supposed number of members fluctuates every other time I looked at the screen. Weird.

I'm 95% of the way to my weekly contribution and it was from doing a handful of story missions on a new guy. Getting to titan with my titan probably gave 50% by itself.

I wish it had been possible to adjust the look of your face when loading in from D1, all my mans are slightly off from how they should really look and I don't like it. Also if you have an exo, you originally had to pick a mouth color, but because your guy never talks it never shows up. Pensive looking robot hero looking sad and speechless because Hawthorne thinks you're abandoning earth made me laugh.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Father Wendigo posted:

Don't you get an exotic engram for doing the main quest line?

Yes but I want more!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

screech on the beach posted:

I've done dozens of public events, heroic and normal and not a single exotic engram. gently caress this bullshit

I got two in a row this morning :haw:

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

There's a fish that's like, building sized outside the window on Titan when you're under sea level

https://i.imgur.com/tINqPuw.gifv

e:

kecske fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 10, 2017

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

screech on the beach posted:

Me either until I acted like a little bitch about it in the thread and I've gotten 3 since. Congratulations, you're about to get some too.

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I hope they dont gently caress savathun up, she was my favorite in the book of sorrows. basically all that stuff started because of her and her sisters got really into it on a grand scale but the whole time she just wanted to live man. they better not make her into some generic baddie that's just there to blow up for loot cause that'd be a waste of one of the best characters in the series.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002
Has anyone been encountering the crash bug with error code CE-34878-0?

I've been playing the game for a couple days now and really like it. In the past day though I've been getting random crashes after about 20 to 60 minutes. I checked out the Bungie forums and it seems like a large number of people are getting this crash and there's currently no solution. There seems to just be different random things that work for some people but not for others. Hopefully it's addressed as soon as possible in the next patch, but it's a real bummer that I can't make much progress because the game crashes before I can complete story missions.

In case this is due to some bug in the game causing the PS4 to run hot I air blasted my PS4 to clear out any dust. Also, I've moved the console on to a table right next to the AC so the cold air is blowing right into it. After doing all of this the next time I played it was at least an hour before it crashed again with the same error.

Has anyone else seen this issue or know anything that might work to resolve it?

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

loving lol

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

As someone who never played D1, are you meant to pick a class and stick to it rather than make alts?

It feels that way - you don't even get to skip the intro mission if you start a new character, and while some stuff like consumables / tokens carry over between characters, they don't do anything until 20 anyway, and you don't get to carry over your sparrow or anything else that would make the second go-around slightly less time-consuming.

It's not a huge deal at the end of the day since the campaign is still pretty short, but it feels like a weird design choice for a loot-based game where the goal seems to be making a mad dash for the end of the campaign / lvl 20 so you can go do the more interesting stuff with other players.

Nah. Play as many characters as you want. You just have to go through The Full Experience with each!

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Honestly aside from leveling to 20 a bunch of poo poo is shared between characters so it's kind of the opposite of "stick with one" mentality

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the truly dumb poo poo is when people play different classes because you're removing like eighty percent of the benefit of having alternate characters

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

the truly dumb poo poo is when people play different classes because you're removing like eighty percent of the benefit of having alternate characters

Are you saying that it's dumb to have a Warlock, Hunter, Titan, and that it's good to have Titan/Titan/Titan?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

VanillaGorilla posted:

Honestly aside from leveling to 20 a bunch of poo poo is shared between characters so it's kind of the opposite of "stick with one" mentality

I discovered today that you cannot infuse armor with different class armors. So that's a real bummer for leveling alts.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Are you saying that it's dumb to have a Warlock, Hunter, Titan, and that it's good to have Titan/Titan/Titan?

yes, that is precisely what i'm saying.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
might be better for progression but it sure sounds like less fun

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

That's some commitment to poop socking, drat. Missing out on 67% of the game's content in exchange for two extra servings of Weekly Rewards?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
If you're leveling a new alt, every chance you get buy the best possible equipment that your char can fit on their body, by the time you have one guy finished with the main quest you basically have an infinite amount of money. It seems to end up balancing most of the time but you might as well just dump it off. I still have a huge glimmer shaped hole in my pocket and regularly hit the cap.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

This is incomprehensible. Am I owned? Are you owning me? What is this supposed to mean?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, i have zero interest in playing a hunter or warlock, so i'm not really giving up a whole lot, and it's pretty disingenuous to act like 67 percent of the game's content is 'doing the same content you already have but holding circle does something different'

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
oh drat, inverted spiral again. but it's a fresh, new experience because every ten minutes i can shoot a space bow instead of hold a space shield

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

'doing the same content you already have but holding circle does something different'

This was the working title until they changed it to "Destiny"

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
How is it any kind of benefit to have more of the one kinda guy? Are these week rewards even worth it? Are you playing with two titans that only exist to funnel items to your main? This is an alien mindset to me. It's funner to gently caress around with other types of guardians because it mixes up the gameplay quite a bit. Like, a LOT.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I'll make more characters if it means more chances for Watermelon camo. I need that poo poo on everything.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

'doing the same content you already have but holding circle does something different'

Dude, if this isn't your idea of fun, Destiny might not be the series for you...

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

SniperWoreConverse posted:

How is it any kind of benefit to have more of the one kinda guy? Are these week rewards even worth it? Are you playing with two titans that only exist to funnel items to your main? This is an alien mindset to me. It's funner to gently caress around with other types of guardians because it mixes up the gameplay quite a bit. Like, a LOT.

If he dislikes Warlocks and Hunters, or if he really thinks that they're so indistinguishable from each other that there's no point, I can't really say He's Playing It Wrong.

Just a surprising and alien mindset to me, I guess.

Also seems less important this time around, since gear has fixed perks and I don't need to hope that my NEXT Warlock Raid Armor will have the correct perks on it.

One point I'll concede is that all 3 classes are really goddamn similar this time, and with abilities being so rarely used, the differences are even less relevant.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
This is nuts, why even play the game at all?

Are you actually using two crap bag titans to funnel a small amount of items to your main? Why would you even do this when your main will just get them anyway? The game feels like it wants you to just take it easy and do stuff over a period of weeks, not two days.
Not using one slot for each type of guardian seems absolutely deranged to me. Even if you don't use the other two chars that much, playing them mixes up the game play significantly. Like, A LOT.

The only thing that I can think of that isn't shared between characters is armor, and rep (but rep items are shared). Why would you play like this? It's a total alien mindset. What is fun about the game, just getting items? If you don't like the game itself man you may have other things to spend your time on.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

just want to say that you certainly won't be raiding with me if you aren't 300 light level by wednesday. further, the secret gjallahorn is required.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

It's a pretty massive benefit, even moreso in D2 because you can't infuse gear across classes anymore. If you have multiples of the same class you will gear up incredibly fast. You can move your gear from character to character since none of it is soulbound. So you could do the weekly quests three times a week, with the light level reward getting higher and higher. Since a lot of people dislike one or two certain classes, there's nothing that's really all that wrong with having clones.

Sometimes when a new expansion or game comes out and the cap is raised people will store off-class gear in the vault, then do clones temporarily to get their light up to do the raid then go back to having one of each class.

Personally I always went with one of each but it's easy to understand why some people do it.

BastardySkull
Apr 12, 2007

Play the game the way you enjoy.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
You're not actually supposed to enjoy the game by the way

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

^^^ poster above is right, though. The point of Destiny has always been to be Done with Destiny. Hit the light cap, get the raid gear, and you can be Free. Anything that helps you Finish is good.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress man, post what the boots look like

Oops, sorry.

I wasn't kidding.

LITERAL SLIPPERS/MOCCASINS

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

One point I'll concede is that all 3 classes are really goddamn similar this time, and with abilities being so rarely used, the differences are even less relevant.

Lol beat on "alien mindset." But I disagree with this. I've been doing warlock since the beginning and yesterday started playing a titan. It feels a lot different. Much more aggressive and I find myself moving around a lot more. Titan is more mobile but has less vertical reach.

Abilities are slower, but that's not the totality of difference between the classes. You have three now and they generally stagger pretty well, so you get sort of a rhythm that periodically punctuates whatever shooting you're doing with something else. I'd say mobility and the differences in speed, toughness, and regen are the main bread and butter changes. That and the difference in actual powers change your strategic thinking with each type of character.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
i mean, look, if you really think that doing the exact same poo poo only literally five of your controller inputs have a different effect is magically very different, by all means, play three classes, i don't really care. i would rather grind two extra characters to twenty than grind two extra characters to twenty and gear them up.

considering past 260 almost every method of gearing up is on a weekly timer, it's not really 'no benefit', you're gearing up three times as fast compared to gearing up at the same speed three different times. i'm not even doing it, i have one titan. i'm just saying in d2 unless you're particularly entranced by farting a puddle of precum on the ground on one character and spinning two feet away from where you're standing currently on the other there's not a whole lot of point to it.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I just don't get what the endgame is? So you gear up faster, ok, now... what? You have the big number. There's nothing to use the big number on, except one nightfall. But you can do it 3 times a week and still get 3 rewards!

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

what is an endgame ever

Linx
Aug 14, 2008

Pork Pro
Raiding is the endgame

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It's all moot because gently caress doing the campaign ever again, which seems to be an actual requirement this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frabba
May 30, 2008

Investing in chewy toy futures
I like having one of each character because some days I want to punch things, some days I want to throw knives at things, and some days I want to hundred hand slap things.

Plus some guns are class specific and how are you gonna get 100% completion if you don't have one of each class?

Fuckin' casuals.