Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Matriarchy is better than Patriarchy, eh? Cool game. Best game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

mauman posted:

Lamia's call this class Matriarch.

They're also better at since Lamia have better base int than lizards.

Lamias also have the cooler sprite imo.

But lizardmen juggernauts are so cool.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Matriarchy is better than Patriarchy, eh? Cool game. Best game.

:shepicide:

In all seriousness though, the beast races can be fun to mess around with.

Though the m/patriarch advantage to spells is hurt by the fact that summons are much much harder to get in this game (hell, level 2 ninjitsu summons are easier to get).

Also a thought. I don't think the dagger advantage is all that great since daggers don't add alot to int, and the predator knife is the best you can get without super bonus dungeon/coda shenanigans.

Stick with the elemental cudgels :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 21, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 12 - Out of right field

Welcome back

it's been like, uh, a week? I dunno, I've had a week off work and I've been digging it.

When was the last time we saw Ganpp? I'm pretty sure it was early in Chapter one.

Long time to hold a grudge, we've pissed off much more dangerous people than him since then.

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Ganpp.

White
Ganpp (Beast Tamer)
Berda (Gryphon)
Obda (Gryphon)
Banga (Cockatrice)
Zanga (Cockatrice)
R. Hoplite x2
R. Juggernaut x2
W. Cleric
W. Wizard

This is a bit of a tricky fight if fought conventially. See, Ganpp's beasts are as hard as they always were, which is to say tough for beasts, but Ganpp brings a trick to the table here.

Unlike the last time we fought him, wherein he'd flee if his beasts or he got to low health, he'll only flee himself if he gets to low health. It's entirely possible to kill his beasts but if you do Ganpp flips his poo poo and does the following to himself, and to your party:

Obda - Heal for Ganpp, Weaken on party
Berda - Strengthen for Ganpp, Breached on party
Banga - Falsestrike on party
Zanga - Sidestep for Ganpp, Stagger on party

Furthermore if you kill any of his beasts then he becomes unrecruitable down the track, so we're not going to fight him conventionally. We're going to tear his loving throat out.

Did we cover Cockatrices? They're pretty much the same as they are in mythology. Chicken headed monstrosities that can turn your dudes to stone with a TP move. Annoying as poo poo, but we're not here to murder them today.

Ganpp's a whip wielder. There's a couple like him through the game. Also a beast tamer, there's less of those.

That was it! Thanks for tuning in! See you in the next episode!

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

Meanwhile at an unknown village, near the coast.

: Your mother left this world upon your birth. And your father followed her only a few months before the war broke out.

: Your blood begins and ends with you, Catiua. You are alone, truly.

: What are you talking about? I have a brother! Surely you've not forgotten Levi!

: I gather you have realized the Abuna was not your father. Yet you assumed that your "brother" shared your orphaned lineage.

: You assumed...wrongly.

: You are cautious. Good.

: House Oberyth gave Valeria her king. You are his daughter.

It starts to rain.

: One of her handmaidens, a girl named Mannaflora, caught the king's eye.

: But even as you quickened in the womb, the queen carried the unborn prince.

: Wanting no rival for her son, she expelled your mother from the castle before you were born.

: Mannaflora died giving birth to you.

Thus the mystery of who is Mannaflorra is solved.

: Who would believe such a tale?

The rain heavies to a storm.

: He left you in the care of his brother, Abuna Prancet.

: Were it not for you and your secret, a man such as Brantyn would never have risen so high or so swift.

: Nonsense and lies!

: The Queen made it appear as though you and your mother had been killed.

: He went to his grave full expecting to meet you in the beyond.

Lightning strikes.

: Am I wrong?

: What do you want from me?

: For you to return with us to Heim.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Eh, we've got healers we can actually control now. Have fun living in the castle!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Cleric

"I can't quite open my eyes to see, but I think this Bible I ordered isTijuana."

Races: Human, Winged
RT: 24 Move: 3 Jump: 1/2
Weapons: Cudgels, Caldia, Lobber
Armor: Light
Magic: Divine
Heal, Debuff removal, Silent Light, Dispel, Ease, Boon of Swiftness, Exorcism, Major Heal, Resurrection
Support: Fortify II, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike III, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge III, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution III, Insight IV, Expand Mind IV, Channeling IV,
Other: Sanctuary II, Reflect Damage II, Absorb MP II*
Action: Mother's Blessing, Mother's Mercy
Special:

*use but can't learn

The only piece of gameplay advice LUCT really gives is the suggestion to keep a Cleric around. Unfortunately, it's not really true. The cleric's spell list is almost all recovery, making HP gauges go up and bad feelings go away. They also have Boon of Swiftness, the haste-type spell that makes more turns happen, and Exorcism, which removes stilled undead. It is useful early on, since they can patch up a few hits, remove Sleep and Charm from the back of the line, and get Boon of Swiftness a level before anyone else.

But then, when Spell Ward and Field Alchemy pick up, anyone can remove almost any status. Heal is outpaced by damage enemies deal and the healing of mending seeds. Do they still have special moves?

Well, Major Heal is AoE healing, but it's not beefy enough to really undo things. In general HP recovery is less about undoing enemy attacks like in most JRPGs and more about being enough to sustain more action. Resurrection costs 100 MP and is basically unusable. Exorcism is great for coping with undead, especially in non-law Chapter 3s which have some real zombo-fests. But the grimoire is 800 goth which isn't too much, eventually meaningless compared. Exorcism II is 68 MP, essentially unusable. Elemental casters get Meditate and Malitza's Staff, but Clerics don't. Having to pop mend leaves is bad, it adds more goth expenditures, and takes up actions. Though Clerics tend to have actions to spare.

If your team isn't broken, the Cleric's only choices are Boon of Swiftness or not much. It has one proactive action, one Valkyries and more have, and none that negatively impact the enemy. Let's just never mention Silent Light because Wizard Hats have silenceproof. Why have a class that can't progress a battle, and only help you on the back foot?

Let's not get into the classes that have the moves and other things, that make the cleric actively obsolete. It'll just make this even sadder.

Orange Fluffy Sheep fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 28, 2017

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

waah posted:

Lamias also have the cooler sprite imo.

But lizardmen juggernauts are so cool.

Juggs are horrific meatwalls in One Vision. They just refuse to die.

Clerics are basically mandatory in it as well.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Valkyries with lobbers do just fine for healing (in fact they do far far better), they can also use boon of swiftness have some excellent abilities, can use attack magic (though not that great but it's something), and don't die if you fart in their general direction. In fact they have great resilience with the ability to wear good armor, restore hp with tp if they take damage, and the ability to equip Rampart 2.

Clerics are a waste as far as I'm concerned, and it's a trap to use them.

Valkyries, on the other hand, retain all of these advantages and become some of the most over powered Casters in the game once you get to end/post game due to their conserve MP ability and spell selection. And while their are unique classes that come up to that power level, Valkyries never truly lose their edge in comparison.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 27, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

y'all might have noticed the LP's slowed down a bit lately, there's a few reasons for that

1/ I've sort of hit a bit of a lull in motivation to play
2/ XCOM2 WOTC is out

but it's mainly 1, being totally fair.

I'll still try to stick to one a week, so I'll try to get an update done tommorow.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
Take a good look at Muntzer. She will never appear ever again.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 13 - Reconquering Almorica Castle since 4000BC

This is third... fourth time? we're conquering Almorica?

Enemy Composition:

Condition(s): Kill Gildora.

Yellow
Gildora (Witch)
H. Dragoon x2
H. Archer x2
H. Ninja
H. Beast Tamer
H. Cleric
Dark Dragon
Cloud Dragon
Iron Golem

Another assassination mission, not documented in guides is that this is a reinforcement mission so there's zero point in farming people for XP / SP.

: Balbatos is no more! There is no longer cause to fight!

: Fool! Why should we heed you? We're the victors here! We will see his eminence's vision through: An end to your befouled bloodline!

: Victors? But you've lost. The people of Coritanae and Brigantys both have joined us. They follow you no longer!

:The people? They're as fickle as a weathercock, turning whichever way the wind blows. Once you are buried and Almorica is ours, we'll see how quickly they return to their former masters!

: And how will you lead them? With fear? You follow the same dark course as the heirophant!

Gildora makes Levi sad by telling him that his sister's gone and loves him far more than is allowed for in their type of society.

[Element] Resonance is a thing I'm sure I've touched on in the past but to remind you, it attunes the caster to air, giving them the [Element-touched] Buff, and everyone in a 1 tile cardinal direction [Element-Averse] making them weak to that element.

This is where I realise that this was a reinforcement mission and took the gloves off.

five levels below the dragon, using tier 1 weapons, Jeunan gets his first Dragon kill.

It's not a mission unless Donnalto collects at least one (1) scalp.

The next few updates should be a bit meatier! Sorry that the updates aren't as large as they used to be but there's not been a lot happening in them!

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Rune Fencer/Valkyrie

"The tunnel has thirteen-foot clearance and they tell me the helmet wings won't fit? Horseshit!"

Races: Human, Winged, Orc
RT: 26 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Swim Move Cost: 4/tile
Weapons: 1h Swords, Spears, Caldia, 1h bows, 1h crossbows, thrown, lobber +1
Armor: Heavy
Magic: Air, Earth, Lightning, Water, Fire, Ice, Divine, Dark
Missile, Summon, Instill, Silent Light, Boon of Swiftness, Dispel, Ease, Heal
Support: Rampart Aura II*, Counterattack III, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Spellcraft IV, Resistance IV, Truestrike IV, Trueflight III, Spellstrike IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep III, Spell Ward IV, Constitution IV, Insight III, Expand Mind III, Channeling III,
Other: Parry, Deflect, Wade II
Action: Conserve MP, HP Infusion, MP Infusion, Barricade
Special: N/A

*use but can't learn

The Valkyrie looks like a jack of all trades, master of none-type deal. You'd think in a game that rewards dedicated roles so much, that that would be bad. You'd be wrong. Good-enough physicals, magic attacks, and support do work when on the same unit, when backed by some of the best action skills in the game. Thing is, it takes them ages to get to that point, and until then you have to lean into what the game gives you while covertly building power for the post-game where suddenly this weird healer is also a prime magical nuke and frontliner?

Early on, they're knights with a bit worse attack and defense but 10 less RT and can use spears to attack from a panel away, if you want. They sword & board fine as well. They suck with magical damage really bad with only missile spells, only useful for dealing that last bit of chip damage to get a critical-hp enemy in the grave. Elemental Instill spells are the best physical damage buffs, hovering around 25% extra damage, and they get Boon of Swiftness at level 11. They enter a weird point where they sorta steal the cleric's job while also getting to jab someone in the butt with a baldur spear for a decent bit, but their magic damage sucks as much as ever.

Around that time their action skills open up. HP Infusion converts TP to HP at a 1 to 1 rate, and it is incredible. Valkyries rebuild themselves without even taking their main action and spending a resource that just accumulates more as they get punched in the face. This affords the Valkyrie something between incredible sustain and functioning immortality, depending on the competency of your foes. Conserve MP reduces MP costs to 0 for 30 TP, breaking even on Heal II and Boon of Swiftness and getting a discount on anything higher. 30 is such a mild cost for a capable frontliner that it doesn't really cut into HP Infusion that badly, and it can provide meditate-like extensions of MP supply.

But then, the post-game kicks in the door and shoots an alchemy laser to turn the valkyrie into gold.

They get EASE, the ability to cure all ailments including Bewitched and Stop which Clerics sure fuckin don't because those grimores are too fuckin rare. They get ELEMENTAL WEAPONS, especially 2-3 range spears that let them literally stand behind someone and still jab bad guys, or you give them [story weapon] because it's basically the hybrid melee/spellcaster role in weapon form. They get SUMMONS which are hardcore as hell. You'd think spells with less base damage than first-tier missiles would be pretty lame but they get ELEMENTAL AUGMENT GEAR which gives them real damage! They don't weapon as hard as dedicated frontliners, but they weapon hard enough. They don't summon as hard as dedicated spellcasters but they summon hard enough. Their power isn't being the best at any one thing, but that on one unit you have a melee attacker, a magical nuke, a healer, and a self-repairing machine.

Jack of all trades.

Valkyries can use any element equally well, but Divine Magic has Boon of Swiftness, Heal, and Ease, so either you abandon most of their support meat or take up an extra skill slot to have their main element's magic damage. Or just... go Light. Skill slots are a premium and it's hard to balance all the things you want, and you have to make concessions somewhere. Thrown weapons never get elemental and fall off as a result, and their other ranged weapons are the 1-handed variants.

The access to Lobbers does create the opportunity for a raw support Valkyrie, lobbing mend leaves and such, while still having the ability to cast spells. Seems useful when they're stuck as support anyway. Especially notable is that Winged folk have access to the class. A Winged Rune Fencer with a lobber just flinging items makes rescues far, far easier, and it's almost required for some.

This is a lot of words but that's because this class is really weird.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
How are we planning to lead the people? Haven't seen Levi firing up the crowds or anything.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Glazius posted:

How are we planning to lead the people? Haven't seen Levi firing up the crowds or anything.

I imagine it will consist of him pointing to himself followed by the burning keep behind him, and then raising his eyebrows at the crowd expectantly.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
At this point I think the people just want all the fighting to stop.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

A worthy short term goal.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 14 - The Last of the Galgastani

Now that Jeunan's a decentish level, we're equipping him with some of our older gear that our other recruits have left behind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqgW-2orQQg

Hello hello hello, who's THAT handsome devil? in the mask?

Oh right, someone's expositioning at us, I suppose we should pay him attention too.

Enemy Composition:

Almorica Passageway

Condition(s): Kill Xaebos.

Yellow
Xaebos (Knight)
H. Necromancer
H. Terror Knight x4
H. Warlock
H. Dragoon x2
H. Cleric x2
H. Wizard

Yeah, the Masked figure is a Necromancer - Generic. It means we can recruit them, and we will, come hell or high water.

The Galgastani loyalists really loving hate Ravness.

:smith:

Let's have a look at old mate will we?

He has an extensive Dark Magic Library - which does not require reagents. Necromancy, on the other hand does require reagents - however they are the one class that can bolster and resurrect undead.

They're exceptionally fast for mages having I think the highest RT? And they're no slouches in the pain causing department either, as we've seen when we've fought them before.

Although for as fast as they are, they have the some movement limitations that other mages do meaning you're going to want to invest in move skills when they're available.

The enemy opens up by landing a 12% chance to stun on Ravness :arghfist:

Two of the enemy Dark Knights are using crossbows.

The enemy tanks have also caught up to us in stats now and can take multiple hits from our DPS.

Quench, as documented earlier, is loving garbage, it's a half power major heal spell in the Water school.

We counter with our own stun.

The enemy pile on the avatar of murder doing not inconsequential damage to him.

The enemy healers are doing a decent job of dropping heals where they need to go.

Meanwhile Canopus is dancing around the eastern edge of the battlefield and surgically removing enemies.

As does Donnalto

Xaebos is an offensive knight, he's not going to heal, he'll just attack - doing decent damage - and use his TP either to sandbag, or to use his finishing move Rending Gale.

Donnalto blocks an impressive spear thrust from one of the enemies.

The enemy necromancer joins the battle and misses a 42% chance to Petrify one of our dudes - which is way higher than I thought it would be.

We continue our next round of offensive actions, while the enemy focusses on debuffing us with poisons, weaknesses, spellslip, stuns and petrifies.

Unfortunately none of these will kill us very quickly.

At this point the only person doing damage is Xaebos himself.

The AI in this game could use some work, on reflection.

Huh, forgot about him.

And him

One problem solved.

Two problems solved.

Martine gets an agility upgrade.

Three problems solved.

Petrify is extremely annoying.

Poison less so.

After moving HEALBOT up our left flank for recruitment duty on Deryk, the Necromancer, Xaebos decides he wants to attack her instead.

So HEALBOT moves herself, then promptly walks around him and keeps moving towards the necromancer.

The lance wielder gets bolted to a wall and then has a boulder fall on him, which gives him enough TP to finishing move onto Donnalto, maybe it was a bit premature to write these guys off too early.

Five problems solved..

Oh boy, now Donnalto does even more damage - but this is rank 3 - so no new Finishing move sadly.

Ravness gets stomped on a bit by Xaebos and the Warlock, so we drop a few heals on her with Levi.

Xaebos keeps assaulting Ravness, while Deryk finally lands a Petrify.

Petrify does wear off after a few turns, and it also gives a resistance to missile attacks, so this isn't the end of the world.

Ok, so we don't want to kill this guy too fast, I'll single attack only, that should be enough to get him low enough but not kill him.

gently caress, REWIND

gently caress, REWIND

That's better

God damnit :arghfist:

gently caress YOU CLERIC, YOU'RE GOING TO DIE.

ok, well, that's good, we can attack him and not kill him this time and we'll

gently caress, REWIND.

gently caress, REWIND.

Just right.

:arghfist:

42% ish chance to recruit failed and this was the only vector for attack - so I rewind and move HEALBOT behind Donnalto.

Ok, this is going to take something stupid like 44 turns so

FINALLY

a neat touch is that his cloaks colours change - do you think he's got dye just hanging about, or a second cloak just in case?

They really loving hate Ravness.

Skipping to the end now.

It must be grim to live such a cynical life as Sir Xaebos.

OH BOY, LOOT.

:toot:

Deryk joins the ranks of the Order of Emptyquote. He will be the first and only necromancer we're going to see on our side for some time.

:smith:

-----------//-----------

: And Denam and Vyce besides! I am glad to see you well.

: And you, Sir Mirdyn. Sir Gildas.

: How is he?

: The star seer remains lost in the mists of sleep. But he draws breath and is whole of body.

: That is well, then. And Lanselot? Has he not returned?

: They held us at a camp outside Rhime, but we managed to escape. What is next for you? An assault on Phidoch, I suppose?

: That's the plan. But first we must do something about the Bakram armies at Rhime. If our casualties there are too great, we'll never take Phidoch.

: What we need is some way of taking Rhime unawares.

: Hardly an ideal strategem.

: There is one way.... There are hidden passes through the Burnham Massif - ways known only to the goatherds and peasants who make the mountains their home. We can use these trails to approach Rhime from the west. It's the last thing they'll expect. The city will fall in the confusion.

: As it happens, we have a score of our own to settle. Room in your party for two more?

[The men nod in agreement.]

-----------//-----------

Our feint was succesful, and now we have sole control of half the isles.

Gildas and Mirdyn have rejoined our ranks as permanent party members, now that our power level has caught up to their class.

Levi will be class changing to White Knight in the next update, and we'll be starting to cycle people in and out.

Snipette will be taking a break and we don't need two Valkyries, so for the sakes of story, we'll also be dropping Lenneth for a period. Martine will likewise be taking a break to build up Deryk and perhaps Kilmotos as well to start powerboosting White Knights.

tithin fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 24, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Levi into.....White Knight?

Do you mean Ravness?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Wait what? Vyce joined us permanently? We arent going to back stab him later for glory and power the good of the people?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Law Vyce (as in the Vyce on the law path) ends up being a decent guy and once you have proven that you can actually do some good is happy to go back to following you.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hunt11 posted:

Law Vyce (as in the Vyce on the law path) ends up being a decent guy and once you have proven that you can actually do some good is happy to go back to following you.

The thing is, I was kind of expecting to denam to sacrifice him out of "necessity" at some point. Him joining the party as a non guest tells me we don't reward his trust with a knife in the back.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

The thing is, I was kind of expecting to denam to sacrifice him out of "necessity" at some point. Him joining the party as a non guest tells me we don't reward his trust with a knife in the back.

That might go against the whole "You dun hosed up now atone for your mistakes" story which is Law.

Also, Gildas is another character that has a REALLY good RT score (I think he's either number 3 or 4).

My Gildas is a ninja (white knight is ok, just not amazing). Mirdyn just warms the bench unless there's a story reason to bring him out. I did use Mirdyn for a while though. He just didn't make the final cut for my primary 12.

A lack of Gildas is another reason that Neutral sucks.

Edit: I think Gannp use to have his own unique class. It was for all intents and purposes a beefed up beast tamer, but it's strange that the class didn't make it to the psp version.

mauman fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Sep 10, 2017

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)
You got a busted video tag at the top of the update, there.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So that's it, then? The Galgastani military's taken care of, and the Bakram are the only ones left?

But Emptyquote's pretty much heading up Wallister defense on its own too, since the battle at Psionji? Vyce's popular front is nowhere to be seen?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Glazius posted:

So that's it, then? The Galgastani military's taken care of, and the Bakram are the only ones left?

But Emptyquote's pretty much heading up Wallister defense on its own too, since the battle at Psionji? Vyce's popular front is nowhere to be seen?

The remnants of the popular front are part of empty quote - they got smashed at the Psonji

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

mauman posted:

That might go against the whole "You dun hosed up now atone for your mistakes" story which is Law.

Also, Gildas is another character that has a REALLY good RT score (I think he's either number 3 or 4).

My Gildas is a ninja (white knight is ok, just not amazing). Mirdyn just warms the bench unless there's a story reason to bring him out. I did use Mirdyn for a while though. He just didn't make the final cut for my primary 12.

A lack of Gildas is another reason that Neutral sucks.

Edit: I think Gannp use to have his own unique class. It was for all intents and purposes a beefed up beast tamer, but it's strange that the class didn't make it to the psp version.

He did. Ganb is a Beast Master, like the terrible tv show.

Everyone else is merely a beast tamer.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Our first special classes! I'll do the one that I didn't cover in H10's LP. The main difference between special classes and others is that only certain unique characters get them. I'll put characters we haven't gotten yet behind spoiler tags.

Ranger

"If you fight for the people, to end the war... then, my chiseled jaw will be your spearhead."

Characters: Vyce, Azelstan
RT: 25 Move: 4 Jump: 2/3 Wade Move Cost: 4/tile
Weapons: Fists, Daggers, 1H Swords, Axes, Bows, Crossbows, Fusils [2h]*, Thrown, Lobber +2
Armor: Medium
Magic: N/A
Support: , Counterattack IV, Knockback III, Strengthen IV, Fortify IV, Resistance II, Truestrike IV, Trueflight IV, Dodge IV, Sidestep IV, Spell Ward II, Constitution IV
Other: Parry, Deflect, Overpower, Swiftfoot II, Wade II, Siege, Double Attack, Reflect Magic II*
Action: Back Attack, First Aid, Disarm
Special:

*use but can't learn

Ranger is a gem of a physical class, using a wide variety of weapons including access to 2h bows, and having double attack for melee. It also has the highest Dex in the game, making it extremely potent at archery or knives. It also has a pretty decent RT, innate wade I, Swiftfoot II, full Lobber privileges, and Fortify IV unlike a lot of all-in dps classes.

Ranger's weaknesses, as they are, are that it has no good action skills and no specials, and it has not-that-hot Res. Vyce (and now that I've namedropped him I'm going to use gendered nouns to refer to him instead of his class) is frequently open to magic damage despite your best efforts, and his tendency to consume his off-hand for more weapon means he's not as sturdy as you'd like. He can't mitigate this with skills like the Ninja or Valkyrie can, as indeed his actions suck in general. Back Attack is nearly always useless on a hit rate elemental like this class is, Disarm is more useless than the booby traps it removes, and First Aid removes statuses instead of being a healing option, and has a failure rate that really cuts into its effectiveness compared to just using a Feyrn Bolus with the main act of a turn anyway. For 2h bows, he's usually fine just launching normal attacks until he builds for a finisher. His better Dex than archers does translate to a slight boost in damage, all other things equal, and bow finishers are incredibly brutal. For double-attacking, it's a pain that his TP goes up like a rocket but he lacks good outlets and he can't convert it into survival. At least with knives he can used ranged finishers.

Ignore Vyce's innate 1h sword ranks, since their weight is not conducive to double-attacking. Knives have lower weight and usage costs, and they key off of Dex more, and with double attack weapon ranks are no issue to build. His lack of ranks initially and no Tremendous Shot make bows seem like a false start but just keep at it and he'll be an excellent archer-esque thing. Pick whichever fits your current squad more, because one of the Ranger's strengths is that it only takes changing two skill slots to go from knives/double attack to bows/trajectory and back, and the same high-dex mobile unit is behind it.

Also, 2h fusils are up there, and I'm not going to pretend like they aren't actually pretty goddamn brutal. Ranger might be the best gunhave with its lower RT and much higher Dex than Fusilier, but it isn't until late chapter 4 that you get to try gun's and they aren't as brutal as 2h bows. Ranger also lacks the Fusilier's Sharpshoot (gun-specific tremendous shot) but building to finishers is just as valid here as it is with bows. It's an option, if you want Vyce to occupy a different ranged space than everyone else, or really want to use fusils but can't tolerate the fusilier's faults.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

A good argument for Bow-Vyce is that Ranger gets access to an equipment set that's normally Archer exclusive (as in, only Archers can equip the whole set).

With that set on regular bow attacks will usually kill everything short of certain boss-enemies.

Granted, getting the set on the other hand is a problem unto itself :downs:

Also, Chaos Vyce's class Assassin and hanged man is essentially the Ranger with backstab.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

mauman posted:

Granted, getting the set on the other hand is a problem unto itself :downs:

My entire attitude towards stuff that esoteric is that if it makes an already good class better, great, but it isn't going to salvage anything.

So, yes, there might be a place for a dark-focused blowgun-using rogue, but when you need a level 44 weapon from a divine general at the end of a bonus dungeon, it's such a distant prospect that I can't really suggest even starting.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

My entire attitude towards stuff that esoteric is that if it makes an already good class better, great, but it isn't going to salvage anything.

So, yes, there might be a place for a dark-focused blowgun-using rogue, but when you need a level 44 weapon from a divine general at the end of a bonus dungeon, it's such a distant prospect that I can't really suggest even starting.

True enough.

My point was more of a "Get to have AND eat the cake" sort of point. Not really important, but it is nice if you go that far into the Bonus stuff as Bow-Vyce is certainly strong enough by himself to merit that option.

That being said, Vyce can use other normally archer only gear (like nomad bracer +1) which IS a pretty good thing since those are easy to get and add a lot of dex to the Ranger's already ultra-high dex score, though that also will benefit a dual dagger Vyce. So yeah :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 12, 2017

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I started writing the next update but am too shitfaced to post it because it is garbage, and filled with typos

i will re-write it tommorow.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
In general my grasp of tactics as far as the meta goes for the last few updates is 'we snuck around the flank while our main army distracted the main bad guy army, took the main bad guy castle, then in turn they took our castle after we took their's, we snuck around to take our's back and now we're after their main army again' or have I lost track?

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 15 - Dragons loving everywhere man

wedgekree posted:

In general my grasp of tactics as far as the meta goes for the last few updates is 'we snuck around the flank while our main army distracted the main bad guy army, took the main bad guy castle, then in turn they took our castle after we took their's, we snuck around to take our's back and now we're after their main army again' or have I lost track?

In a roundabout way yes - we flanked one enemy, took their castle while half of our army fought to the last man.

We then turned around and took back our castle.

In doing so, we've wiped the Galgastani army from the board - their remnants are with us and now we're wheeling again, to face the last foe on the field. The Bakram.

Lenneth is out for a bit to build some White Knight levels.

Also I found out that Levi can't go White Knight? I seem to remember having him as a White Knight on release a long time ago - I might be misremembering.

"This'll be easy" I said

"A breeze, it's just you standard genocide level"

Enemy composition:

Dark Dragon
Earth Dragon
Flame Dragon
Arc Dragon
P. Wizard x2
S. Archer
S. Warrior
U. Familiar
U. Rogue
R. Warrior
R. Berserker

oh for the love of gently caress. I clearly underestimated this level by being a) drunk and b) bad

Off to a flying start

Our front line is making short work of their humanoids, and I start to get cocky.

Looks like a Maria to me.

Ravness finishes off the phantom to our west flank, both her and Nerraw will pull south now to help with the great softening. (aka my sex life)

I realise that I don't have a dedicated beast killer and wander Jeunan in to join the fray. he's still underlevel but he's going to bring home the bacon this match.

Didn't realise that they got reinforcements ont his map :smith:

Reptiles can take a right kicking. Offensively they're a bit meh, but they're resilient as hell.

:argh:

And this is where I realise I hosed up

This did bugger all

the sleep misses..

I try to pull the lord of murder back but he gets hemmed in by Rampart Auras.

While our frontline gets loving mauled, their back line starts trying to disable Canopus. They miss, this time.

The lord of murder has fallen. Dicks out.

this area is loving infested with Rampart Auras.

How Jeunan got his groove back, a cautionary tale.

Jeunan takes the shot at Sithon the Dragon, striking at Levi in the process - who blocks. Canopus follows up but doesn't quite do enough to finish. Getting in close has made him a valid target for those nasty TP moves of the dragons though.

The dragons turn on Levi, who's having absolutely none of their bullshit and heals up on his turn.

Spotting squishies in range, the dragons fell one of their own in their mad dash to claim a kill.

We're taking an utter kicking this battle.

Jeunan gets shackled, which means no direct attacks from him until it wears off. He can still counter though, but don't count on it..

then he blocks what would be a fatal blow to get saved by a clutch heal from Levi, while Canopus retreats and removes a Dragon from the field.

Haha, look at this bullshit. That's a tail lash from the green dragon to Canopus. Canopus must be upo what, at least 8 tiles from the dragon?

At this stage we need so much healing that not even Heal 2 would be enough, so I start chucking out mend leaf +3's.

loving, come on!

a spot of good luck, as Kilmotos lands the sleep.

Immediately undone by losing Canopus to a Petrifog.

This whole "blow turns on CC" thing the enemy likes to do works loving wonders when there's far more of them than us.

Jeunan continues to get loving pumelled from all angles, but thankfully we're forcing a break in their defensive line slowly but surely and we're wearing them down. Just so long as none of them get healed we'll be fine.

God damnit.

I pull old man murder out of the firing line and stick him away. He's more of a liability than a help right now.

The red dragon headbutts Ravness and takes a chunk off her HP.

Levi gets healed up a bit as he's perilously low - just in time for the Petrify to wear off. He then begins working on the supporting undead on the basis that if he can't murder the dragons, he'll murder their support.

and then their whole family.

one rotten fingernail at a time.

We're working on killing that Red Dragon slowly but surely.

I dunno why I went for the green one here, I was really drunk last night.

ol' red's been taken to a farm up country.

Not a massive amount of damage from the finisher, but every little helps.

HEALBOT's got no time for taking damage. Seems to be a running theme to this LP to be honest.

Just like old times

:gas:

Our lines get slowed thanks to Duststorms

two of these mages did nothing but spam it to varying degrees of success, so I will be skipping those turns.

nice

The enemy back line start unleashing volleys and heals unfortunately, their stats aren't great for it.

HEALBOT deigns to remind us of her mortality.

That's a bunch of dragons dead, only one left standing. Once that goes down, I am going to have this ground salted.

That heal he got was just enough to keep him alive from my counter :argh:

get hosed

Heart Crusher is the dagger finisher apparently, this is my first time seeing it, appears a bit lacklustre.

Kilmotos whiffs on the sleep again, but that's fine, we're going to murder this dragon anyway.

Ravness is down.

This is new to me, it appeared to be trying to charm Jeunan, missed, and silenced him. I'm sure someone can fill us in on what it is.

We hook up the Resurrection scroll because we've got four of them and I can use from a distance.

Canopus boosts himself to eeke out the last few bits of damage needed to murder this dragon.

HEALBOT turns her godmode hacks back on.

Apparently I missed the killshot on the dragon somehow. which is ... odd. But I'm not replaying this mission so you'll just have to trust that it happened :greenangel:

HEALBOT gets even luckier.

That one went a bit better than the last one.

This might be the worlds unluckiest imp, jesus. He's missed every shot he's made.

Spoke too soon

He continues missing.

Hubris thy name is tithin

-----------//-----------

MEANWHILE, AT THE HALLS OF JUSTICE

: The whole might of the Order of Goldscale Emptyquote. A host equal to our own. Perhaps greater.

due to a lack of portrait, Volaq will be played by a generic ninja understudy his sprite from the SNES game :ninja:

: It is true that, on word of his death, men deserted his armies like rats from a foundering ship.

: What's more, the New Walister Alliance enjoys the support of the slaves and commons. It would seem this young Denam is as much at home before a crowd as he is at the head of an army.

: You speak as though it was not your doing that brought us to this unhappy pass. We ought have marched on Almorica as soon as we took Rhime. Perhaps it's not too late. Summon my war council! Inform them I plan to lay siege to Almorica.

: What? The Dark Knights would abandon us now? You wouldn't dare!

: Obligations, you say? As I recall, you are obliged to grant me whatever aid I require to wrest control of these isles.

say what you want about Brantyn, but he's quick on the uptake.

now there's a statement that's loving loaded with promise

tithin fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Sep 24, 2017

megane
Jun 20, 2008

What did Almorica castle do to deserve having every fucker on the island lay siege to it at the first opportunity

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

Who's the Order of Goldscale? I don't remember a faction by that name...

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Levi your party's a bunch of fuckboys

next time do better

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

I'm not sure if this is the psp one or the original.

But it looks close enough regardless.

Also, you might be remembering that Levi gets access to buccaneer

Only the white knights, Ravness and one other certain character have access to White Knight.

mauman fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 23, 2017

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Good lord that was a ton of dudes to murder. You'd think they'd be running away from the volcano.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
Levels like that are why I couldn't finish the game really. Just so much filler that ensures you have to love the combat system to slog through it all... and I got bored eventually having to fight what essentially amounts to 2-4 random battles between story beats. Sure someone talks in them, but they could be cut out with no loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

These types of games' obsession with those kinds of maps are so strange to me. They're not compelling challenges to overcome, they're just frustrating slog. Braindead to go through. This is a single player game! Don't waste my time! You already have my money, this isn't a subscription service to pad!