Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Steve Trevor blew up.

And oh hay Eris the Goddess brought him back to life...but he's now actually made of tasty chocolate pudding and is constantly trying not to eat himself. Diana has to keep the spoons away.

Also his fifth uncle separated from his grandma was killed in a freak fireworks factory blew up so Trevor is also now the Cracker Man.

There. Comics.

Gatts fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
By the way, Snyder is directing again

https://twitter.com/ZackSnyder/status/907272842672144384

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Good. I am glad he took time off to be with his family but I think it is also healthy to get back to his art, which he is clearly passionate about :unsmith:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He made this one with his family and friends at their vacation house just with the stuff they had there, is what it sounded like from his initial tweet about it.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Al Borland Corp. posted:

He made this one with his family and friends at their vacation house just with the stuff they had there, is what it sounded like from his initial tweet about it.

Including the girls dead body?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

Including the girls dead body?

This is really a probate-able post? SA you are shook.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

The Dave posted:

This is really a probate-able post? SA you are shook.

Eh, as the world has gotten more poo poo, SA has become less, at the very least it seems less likely to punch down, and also for certain matters.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
It could have been construed as a joke at a suicide victim's expense.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Also, it's a 6-hour probation, who cares.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Once we stop caring

That's when they win

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Guy A. Person posted:

Good. I am glad he took time off to be with his family but I think it is also healthy to get back to his art, which he is clearly passionate about :unsmith:

Looking into it, it's all his family and friends doing a short film together, which is decidedly :unsmith:

EDIT: Posting from an old browser session. whoops.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

MacheteZombie posted:

It could have been construed as a joke at a suicide victim's expense.

Could have been? That's what it was. "Haha his daughter killed herself" is not a funny joke.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
What if Snow Steam Iron was in color?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Looks very Sucker Punch, which shouldn't be too surprising for Snyder just making whatever he wants to make.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Steve Trevor blew up.

Flashpoint

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Gonna be shocked if we don't get a cameo from an aged Steve Trevor that somehow saves Wonder Woman's life during the final confrontation of Justice League. I don't care that he would be like 120 years old.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Speaking of Wonder Woman 2, they signed Patty Jenkins to direct for $Texas.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Speaking of Wonder Woman 2, they signed Patty Jenkins to direct for $Texas.
God help me, I never don't laugh at this joke.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Now she's the highest-paid female director ever.

In other news, Daniel Dae Kim is in talks to replace Ed Skrein in the new Hellboy movie: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/daniel-dae-kim-talks-replace-ed-skrein-hellboy-reboot-1037038

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Gonna be shocked if we don't get a cameo from an aged Steve Trevor that somehow saves Wonder Woman's life during the final confrontation of Justice League. I don't care that he would be like 120 years old.

Only if his mom's name is Martha.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

The MSJ posted:

In other news, Daniel Dae Kim is in talks to replace Ed Skrein in the new Hellboy movie: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/daniel-dae-kim-talks-replace-ed-skrein-hellboy-reboot-1037038

Cool, I really like Daniel Dae Kim, I'd like to see him in more movies.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

The MSJ posted:

Hell yeah. Huge upgrade. Dae Kim is fantastic.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

It's worth noting that Kim left Hawaii Five-0 recently because the he and Grace Park were being paid less than the white supporting actors. I hope he gets a better deal this time.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

It's worth noting that Kim left Hawaii Five-0 recently because the he and Grace Park were being paid less than the white supporting actors. I hope he gets a better deal this time.

That's...really hosed up.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

The MSJ posted:

wait, like they are on the marquee and have top billing but get paid less than "villain of the week #4"?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

MrJacobs posted:

wait, like they are on the marquee and have top billing but get paid less than "villain of the week #4"?

Basically, yep. The last round of negotations ended when CBS still only offered them lower pay than the white leads AND no backend (which the other 2 enjoy).

Tiger
Oct 18, 2012

And you, who are you? This is what we've got, yes. What are you going to make of it?
Fun Shoe

LividLiquid posted:

God help me, I never don't laugh at this joke.

Could someone explain it to me? Is it that she's essentially paid the net worth of the state of Texas?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

all-Rush mixtape posted:

Steve Trevor blew up.

Gatts posted:

And oh hay Eris the Goddess brought him back to life...but he's now actually made of tasty chocolate pudding and is constantly trying not to eat himself. Diana has to keep the spoons away.

Also his fifth uncle separated from his grandma was killed in a freak fireworks factory blew up so Trevor is also now the Cracker Man.

There. Comics.

Yeah he got brought back several times in the comics after he died. I think one time a Goddess just yanked a copy of Steve from an alternate universe as a favour to WW. "Oh, you like Steves? Here, I got you a Steve, keep up the good work!"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Tiger posted:

Could someone explain it to me? Is it that she's essentially paid the net worth of the state of Texas?

Texas is big.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

Basically, yep. The last round of negotations ended when CBS still only offered them lower pay than the white leads AND no backend (which the other 2 enjoy).

good, I hope this kills the show and maybe teaches studios a lesson.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Tiger posted:

It's from a Celebrity Jeopardy bit.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

Halloween Jack posted:

It's from a Celebrity Jeopardy bit.

Apparently this is the best video on youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE9XeAkQowA

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/realdavidmazouz/status/907358931722424321

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It helps a lot when the probation is funnier than the punchline. Like, you look at that post and you go, "ahhh poo poo that's heartless..." but then you scroll a little farther down and that bold text in parenthesis allows you to laugh at the poster instead.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Yeah he got brought back several times in the comics after he died. I think one time a Goddess just yanked a copy of Steve from an alternate universe as a favour to WW. "Oh, you like Steves? Here, I got you a Steve, keep up the good work!"

Ah, so Steve is her Morty?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

K. Waste posted:

It's creatively motivated with thematic implications. Like, obviously we can't speak too much in terms of how the shots will function in context of the film, since they're just split-second snippets. But it's doubtful that, after years of more or less staging and shooting action scenes the same way, that any filmmaker in Marvel's wheelhouse including Waititi is going to suddenly do an about-face and do something more like Snyder, where the camera is directly implicated in the chaotic, 'superhuman' events being portrayed. There's a brief bit at the end of the Black Panther teaser with something like that, but it comes off basically another re-tread of Matrix 'bullet time.' In this case, the shot is both never particularly well-composed, nor evocative in terms of lighting. It's just a CGI dude flipping around in a black cat suit. They can't even find the motivation for dramatic contrasts or more frightening action in a movie called Black Panther.

Contrast this with how the camera in Snyder's film often struggles to keep up with the characters:

In Snyder's films, a cut does not occur merely to create the illusion of continuous movement or the suggest a contact blow when there isn't any. A camera does not whip-pan merely to follow a thoroughly lit subject that is always in frame. Rather, the camera movement and montage communicates the incontrovertible effects that his superhuman characters leave on the world around them. All of the components of the mise en- cene, from the available light to the weather to the set design is organized around the central principle that these characters are and should appear beyond normal comprehension, that the spectator should actually be kept 'in the dark' except for a few crucial components of the scene which are always meticulously framed.

With Thor 3 and Black Panther, even in scenes that take place at night or in burning hellscapes are portrayed with the opposite dramatic motivation: that no matter how cataclysmic circumstances become, the mise en scene functions in unity as an assurance that neither the characters nor the spectators by proxy will be consumed by alien or horrific forces. With that in mind, we can re-compare those shots of Hulk fighting the Devil:

The first shot is a scene of Hulk plunging into an awesome fight with a giant devil monster. To be absolutely clear: There is nothing wrong with the shot intrinsically, and it's even both well-lit and well-composed.

But even the succeeding experiments in contrast and saturation make a point. The first shot is an objective portrayal of Hulk the beloved Avengers team member about to put the smackdown on a boss villain. The second and third shots are of a protuberant mass of flesh consumed in darkness and fire plummeting into Hell. They're fraught and ambiguous, whereas the first one, while pretty good, is actually the calculated result of what Marvel has been working towards ever since The Avengers, which is actually to sanitize those qualities from Hulk so that he can be a less ambiguously heroic figure. The latter two shots would make great centerpieces of a movie that's, like, a direct sequel to Ang Lee's Hulk, with the character still mired in his iconographic wrath and plunging headlong into even more profound horrors. The first shot is more appropriate for a serial in which the whole point is that old Hulk is too scary.

Um, this is a goddamn awesome post, thank you K Waste. Edit: I originally snipped this post, but think we could use it on this page anyway, so edited to full-quote.

K. Waste posted:

It's not fish-eye.

Thanks for clarifying. This is why I thought it was fisheye. For some reason, my eyes don't see superman *floating* but just assume he's like an inch off the ground. Look, ma!

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Sep 13, 2017

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Flunchy posted:

Ah, so Steve is her Morty?

I would accept Diana spending a century getting drunk as all hell.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The next Avengers should involve an Ant Man accident so they're all shrunk down accidentally and must cross the front yard before the lawnmowers turn on and Nick Fury gets home. But uh oh, Thanos also got a dose of the shrink ray...!

e: I meant Nick Fury but Nick Cage would also be good

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

David Harbour as Hellboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Cool

• Locked thread