Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

lol comodo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Powaqoatse posted:

hah yea brainfart but i mean theres a ton of places where you can get your stuff hosted that arent cloudy

unless my definition of cloud is outdated

"cloud" is complicated

like is cloudflare cloud? you definitely share a single pid with other users when you use that

is every aws service cloud? probably, and some of them are undoubtedly similar wrt pid sharing (s3, cloudfrot), and there's lots of general hypervisor/hardware sharing in ec2

is dreamhost cloud? you share a kernel and filesystem with other users (or at least you did back in 2005 when using reamhost was even a bit defensible)

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Phone posted:

dunking on her degree is some stemlord bullshit when her interview response asking about security was "I hope I budgeted for enough hard drives" is infinitely more damning and telling

Mr SuperAwesome
Apr 6, 2011

im from the bad post police, and i'm afraid i have bad news

Subjunctive posted:

Alec Muffett's degree (partial degree) is in astronomy.

astronomy is physics tho, which is hard and requires some smarts

i dropped out of physics in my 3rd year out of 3 and now im a computer toucher and its going ok so far

probably hosed when it comes to looking for my next job but welp

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

i've always found it weird that the only hacking movie was made 25 years ago

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

does swordfish not count

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

the matrix wasnt that long ago

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

and it still holds up remarkably well, which is another shocker for a movie with high tech poo poo from the 90s

burning swine
May 26, 2004

anthonypants posted:

does swordfish not count

arguably even more absurd than hackers

my virus is a series of ~ROTATING CODE CUBES~

no planets hacked though, I guess it's a toss-up

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

sneakers is the best hacking movie

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

don't know if this got posted yet:

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2017/09/who-is-marcus-hutchins/#more-40291

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Anyone who's been in a staged video shoot knows that the lighting is pretty bright at one of these things. Here's the Equifax CEO's apology while sporting dilated pupils the size of saucers despite all the lighting. Dude is tripping balls.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

hackers has aged incredibly well

also, terminator 2

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

hackers is an extremely good movie

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

gonadic io posted:

what other places do you have random other people running their code on the same physical machines that you have?

wasn't there a paper recently about doing rowhammer from javascript to escape browser sandbox?

at any rate, my point was just that it's not really an actual vulnerability in clouds

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Anyone who's been in a staged video shoot knows that the lighting is pretty bright at one of these things. Here's the Equifax CEO's apology while sporting dilated pupils the size of saucers despite all the lighting. Dude is tripping balls.

he needs teh confidence boost

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Sneakers came out in 92

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Sneakers came out in 92

yeah, 25 years ago

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

I'm the guy skitching off my own limousine, snatching a floppy disk out of someone's hand as I roll by.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Volmarias posted:

I'm the guy skitching off my own limousine, snatching a floppy disk out of someone's hand as I roll by.

Which is the coolest loving scene in any movie, ever.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

COACHS SPORT BAR posted:

my virus is a series of ~ROTATING CODE CUBES~

are you mixing up movies with the cube? which was a great movie on its own

also, degrees and current jobs have very little to do with each other, if anything degrees can only prove that you can think in some capacity in a way some other people would like to see you think, but they don't necessarily qualify you for a role in a landscape of ever changing constants with continuous evolution of circumstances. especially in infused you're basically always hosed as a leadership person.

the above isn't defending the Equifax approach, they're hosed

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

lol sep management servers install with a self-signed 10yr cert by default and there is no mechanism to swap it out besides turning off TLS entirely and then pushing the new cert to clients once they're talking to absolutely anything in the clear and I bet you money there are no expiration warnings for people with old environments. total client isolation situation

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
more like septic

burning swine
May 26, 2004

geonetix posted:

are you mixing up movies with the cube? which was a great movie on its own

nah there were loads of cubes in swordfish

it's hard to find good pictures though because every search brings up the infamous blowjob scene

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
I seem to recall a pretty good hacking montage in The Social Network.

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin

Lain Iwakura posted:

yeah. i am in the same boat. i dropped out three and a half years into my BA in history (was aiming to be a teacher) and ended up working on securing corporate and industrial control networks. while funny, i don't judge her credentials. i do however judge her job performance

I had not seen her interview piece at the time, and I shared the image because it fed into an oft discussed topic in the 'pos regarding qualifications for individuals in tech roles, especially those in high ranking and/or critical roles, and the dangers of incompetence.

I thought the image was funny, but the quote just upset me as one of the potentially impacted people.

e: and it is likely indicative of the calibur of people that report to her.

PyPy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 12, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

there was a really really bad hacking move that came out a couple years ago, i can't remember the name

edit: it was Blackhat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackhat_(film)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

EIT's facebook got hacked a few weeks ago and so they made a couple videos about it, that include weird hacking movies i've never seen:

https://vimeo.com/230804389

e: Mostly the second one, but the first one's funny too so :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr-dDfb2Hj0

e2: should also probably tag it as :nws: since there's a fraction of a second of low-res VHS titties

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Sep 12, 2017

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."
c'mon ya'll... rep The Net

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSr7kOCdPTc

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Equifax just can't help loving up.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/equifax-freeze-your-account-site-is-also-vulnerable-to-hacking/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

meanwhile at the dod

https://twitter.com/bgpstream/status/907508993903546369

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BGP is a gently caress
410,757,864,530 dead ASN's

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

spankmeister posted:

BGP is a gently caress

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

spankmeister posted:

BGP is a gently caress

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

spankmeister posted:

BGP is a gently caress

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

spankmeister posted:

BGP is a gently caress

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Trabisnikof posted:

sneakers is the best hacking movie

I think I read it here: the least believable part of sneakers is mainframes that use strong crypto

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

ludicrous premise: identity theft as a life threatening tragedy vs a depressingly common occurrence

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

I think I read it here: the least believable part of sneakers is mainframes that use strong crypto

i'll believe it. it's just they're still using the thing they did in 92

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

hackbunny posted:

ludicrous premise: identity theft as a life threatening tragedy vs a depressingly common occurrence

why can't it be both?

• Locked thread