Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe

Chomskyan posted:

Trump is a racist, transphobic liar and sexual predator who lost the popular vote and is one of the least popular presidents in history. Has accomplished nothing beyond passing a basic hurricane relief package against the wishes of his own party. He's also a deranged conspiracy theorist and threatens nuclear war via twitter. Mind you, this is all indisputable fact. He is literally the worst president in history whose only saving grace is that he is so sabotaged by his own idiocy that he might fail to cause as much damage as previous Republican presidents.

This is why the Democrats will always lose.

On 9/11: "Trump is the worst president ever because he says what he thinks."

Nevermind stagflation under Democrats. Nevermind NAFTA, the worst trade deal ever. Nevermind giving guns to Mexican Cartels.

Democrats: It's not about what you do but how you say it.

Democrats are a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

yronic heroism posted:

Literally your hated abuela's attack line on Obama.

i was more partial to "i have no way of knowing if he's actually a muslim!"

also I don't hate Hillary she's more entertaining than anything, her supporters are way worse

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

:agreed:

pro tip you can just replace Trump with Hillary and it this post would worked just as fine (if she had won the election)

No it wouldn't. Hillary Clinton was genuinely progressive on a number of issues, mostly relating to women's rights. But she was a boilerplate neoliberal candidate and a foreign policy hawk, which made her unappealing to left-wing voters. She had a checkered past wrt race but to compare her racism to Trump's is insane. She would never have emboldened white nationalists and nazis in the way Trump is doing, for one. She would not have attempted to repeal the ACA. She would not be threatening nuclear war with North Korea. There are dozens of ways in which Hillary was a decidedly better candidate. It's insane to put her and Trump on the same level.

Red and Black fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Sep 11, 2017

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Chomskyan posted:

No it wouldn't. Hillary Clinton was genuinely progressive on a number of issues, mostly relating to women's rights. But she was a boilerplate neoliberal candidate and a foreign policy hawk, which made her unappealing to left-wing voters. She had a checkered past wrt race but to compare her racism to Trump's is insane. She would never have emboldened white nationalists and nazis in the way Trump is doing, for one. She would not have attempted to repeal the ACA. She would not be threatened nuclear war with North Korea. There are dozens of ways in which Hillary was a decidedly better candidate. It's insane to put her and Trump on the same level.

I think you've discovered the problem with the person you are arguing with.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I think you've discovered the problem with the person you are arguing with.

she still sucked hard though

tbh, the center-right shouldn't even be considered democrats

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Chomskyan posted:

No it wouldn't. Hillary Clinton was genuinely progressive on a number of issues, mostly relating to women's rights. But she was a boilerplate neoliberal candidate and a foreign policy hawk, which made her unappealing to left-wing voters. She had a checkered past wrt race but to compare her racism to Trump's is insane. She would never have emboldened white nationalists and nazis in the way Trump is doing, for one. She would not have attempted to repeal the ACA. She would not be threatened nuclear war with North Korea. There are dozens of ways in which Hillary was a decidedly better candidate. It's insane to put her and Trump on the same level.

she already did embolden white nationalists and nazis, what do you think her anti-crime 90s were about? i guess calling young blacks superpredators was just a silly mistep, not giving ammo to white nationalists? or suggesting obama was actually a muslim?

i dont know whats progressive about attacking bill's victims or opposing LGBT rights but I guess that counts in today's day and age

the ACA should be repealed

she threatened war with russia (worse than nuking north korea)

also I'll just go ahead and say almost every us political figure supports the nuking of hiroshima and nagasaki so you can add pro-genocide to both of their creds too

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Sephyr posted:

I don't think she will run. It's still years away, even part of the establishment will have moved on, she'll be older and remember what a trial the last campaign was.

That said, I believe she will try to be a King/Queenmaker and be very active in trying to influence who is the candidate and what policies get the spotlight. There are some signs when a politician has had enough and is ready to just retire and pick a humanitarian cause to pursue in he background, and she's showing none of them.

2020 is effectively her last gasp at having any sort of influence on the national stage. She very much wants to run again and "right the wrong" and "fulfill her destiny" but the polls have shown that she's completely toxic. But as we've seen there's still a beyond-stupid part of the party that's loyal to her (well, Bill, so her by proxy) and thus they'll give money and back whom she tells them to back, whether it's Harris or Booker or some other piece of centrist trash. It'll be enough to block any sort of challenge from the left and it'll poison the well enough to ensure that Trump gets 400+ EV and the popular vote, which benefits Hillary because it means she did better than whoever runs in 2020 (and it ends up benefiting Trump because he gets to say he was right about everything in 2016 and that hurts us but Abuela isn't thinking about us). By that time, eight years of united GOP rule and another round of gerry-mandering, this time with the courts stacked to approve the redistricting, should ensure that only a colossal gently caress-up should cost the GOP the House in future elections, ensuring that the Dems will never have total control of the government.

All so Abuela can try and feed her cold, empty soul.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Chomskyan posted:

She had a checkered past wrt race but to compare her racism to Trump's is insane.

She. Owns. Slaves.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
lol at calling hillary's record on race "checkered"

literally the only defense hillbots have is "but old black people voted for her!"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Chomskyan posted:

He is literally the worst president in history

This is why I don't trust liberals. Trail of Tears? Vietnam? Iraq? No, the pussy grabbing orange guy is the worst!

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

she still sucked hard though

tbh, the center-right shouldn't even be considered democrats

Sure, but NFS is deranged and insane. Engaging him is a useless endeavour.

Also, the center right aren't democrats anymore. Most Blue dogs were purged in 2010 from Congress. The Clintons were the last vessel the center right had, and Hillary wasn't even that center right.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
hes the worst president in history if your goal is to continue to unabated reign of neoliberal politicians owned by their donors

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Also, the center right aren't democrats anymore.

lol that people believe this

sd6
Jan 14, 2008

This has all been posted before, and it will all be posted again

call to action posted:

This is why I don't trust liberals. Trail of Tears? Vietnam? Iraq? No, the pussy grabbing orange guy is the worst!

Yeah, trump is terrible, but anyone who thinks anything hes done or tweeted is on par with the human suffering and wasted money that is the Iraq war is completely and utterly deranged

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Also, the center right aren't democrats anymore
They are, that's the point of the thread.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

call to action posted:

I'm not a liberal. But you're right, that was a poorly thought out statement

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

John Henry Miller posted:

Hillary Clinton was in the pocket of Goldman Sachs.

I realize this is second-rate trolling, but I would be genuinely interested to understand how "being in the pocket of rich douchbags" is worse than actually being one of those douchbags from an outside-politics know nothing perspective.

Cutting out the middle-man?

For extra credit, five hundred words or less on why it was cool that Trump named GS appointees.

call to action posted:

I think it's a measure of competency rather than policy. By all accounts, Trump has (at best) a child's understanding of what being PotUS actually entails and gets Real Mad at anyone who tries to make him work.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^^^ It could be worse. Imagine if Ted Cruz was our president.

Accretionist posted:

Well, yeah. But there's three major differences:
  • Is the party completely or partially bought?
  • How soon do we want full-oligarchy?
  • How much Divide & Conquer (along lines of race and gender) do we want?

The Democrats are 'better' on all three points.

Edit: And the party's progressive wing has some real selling points

They're "better", but you're kidding yourself if you don't think the DNC answers for that are completely, very, and "as much as we can get away with". Also the party's progressive wing just get repeatedly poo poo on.

Chomskyan posted:

No it wouldn't. Hillary Clinton was genuinely progressive on a number of issues,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZkK2_6H9MM&t=14s

This is why nobody believes a drat thing she says. Also that race baiting thing her campaign did back in 08 with Obama wearing ~muslim things~.

And the slaves.

Super predators.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Sure, but NFS is deranged and insane. Engaging him is a useless endeavour.

apparently if he still thinks reagan and obama were equivalently bad

quote:

Also, the center right aren't democrats anymore. Most Blue dogs were purged in 2010 from Congress. The Clintons were the last vessel the center right had, and Hillary wasn't even that center right.

uh no. also, the dems were trying to elect more blue dogs as recently as this year.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Condiv posted:

apparently if he still thinks reagan and obama were equivalently bad

obama was worse but i dont expect smallbrains to appreciate how much more income inequality and climate change had to be dealt with in 2008 and the cost we're going to pay as a society for electing the "good" choice that went on to do nothing

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

NewForumSoftware posted:

obama was worse but i dont expect smallbrains to appreciate how much more income inequality and climate change had to be dealt with in 2008 and the cost we're going to pay as a society for electing the "good" choice that went on to do nothing

we went over this before. obama wasn't worse than reagan by any metric

he was definitely worse than he had any right to be though

sorry nfs

also, stop cheering trump lovers who want to suck up to "job creators"

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

NewForumSoftware posted:

obama was worse

well, the thread at least needs one accelerationist moron during downtime, I suppose

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

NewForumSoftware posted:

To be fair, McCain and Romney wouldn't have done poo poo either.

e: If anything we'd have had Palin beaching the Exxon Valdez II and lighting that poo poo on fire because "Anchorage is cold this time of year"

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
Obama vs Reagan is the difference between a colleague slipping poison in your coffee and a brutal knife fight at 2am with a home intruder.

Yeah there's a difference but you don't want to be in either scenario.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
in the category of legitimately good news

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/sen-booker-co-sponsoring-bernie-sanders-medicare-bill/

noted spineless corporate whore Cory Booker has grasped that maybe-just-maybe publicly opposing the concept of improved health care for americans is a stupid idea

slowly, painfully, one step at a time, they are learning

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Marxalot posted:

To be fair, McCain and Romney wouldn't have done poo poo either.

I'm not saying they would have, I'm saying Obama did literally what Reagan did, ie do exactly whatever his corporate donors told him to

the only difference is Obama ran on opposing that agenda then did a complete 180

i guess that doesn't matter to most of the smallbrains stuck in the american political bubble unable to see the bigger picture

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

NewForumSoftware posted:

hes the worst president in history if your goal is to continue to unabated reign of neoliberal politicians owned by their donors

lol that people believe this

As opposed to neonazi politicians owned by their donors?

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Avirosb posted:

Sanders supporters got what they voted for.

80% of a Hillary presidency?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

quote:

Gorsuch tried to gut the Clean Air Act with proposals to weaken pollution standards “on everything from automobiles to furniture manufacturers — efforts which took Congress two years to defeat,” according to Clapp. Moves to weaken the Clean Water Act were equally aggressive, crescendoing in 1987 when Reagan vetoed a strong reauthorization of the act only to have his veto overwhelmingly overridden by Congress. Assaults on Superfund were so hideous that Rita Lavelle, director of the program, was thrown in jail for lying to Congress under oath about corruption in her agency division.

The gutting of funds for environmental protection was another part of Reagan’s legacy. “EPA budget cuts during Reagan’s first term were worse than they are today,” said Frank O’Donnell, director of Clean Air Trust, who reported on environmental policy for The Washington Monthly during the Reagan era. “The administration tried to cut EPA funding by more than 25 percent in its first budget proposal,” he said. And massive cuts to Carter-era renewable-energy programs “set solar back a decade,” said Clapp.

Topping it all off were efforts to slash the EPA enforcement program: “The enforcement slowdown was staggering,” said a staffer at the House Energy and Commerce Committee who helped investigate the Reagan administration’s enforcement of environmental laws during the early ’80s. “In the first year of the Reagan administration, there was a 79 percent decline in the number of enforcement cases filed from regional offices to EPA headquarters, and a 69 percent decline in the number of cases filed from the EPA to the Department of Justice.”

quote:

President Obama is again asking Congress to increase spending for the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and provide dedicated funding for new climate change regulations.

hmmm yes reagan was better on the environment than obama, and would've definitely done something about climate change

:thunk:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Classtoise posted:

Trump is many bad things. Yugely bad, even. But he is not that bad thing.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Classtoise posted:

It's not so much that Trump's ideas or goals are any better than Clinton/Obama, just that he's less able to carry them out due to his incredible incompetence

Condiv posted:

hmmm yes reagan was better on the environment than obama, and would've definitely done something about climate change

:thunk:

Yeah it was totally better when Obama gave the green light to offshore drilling firms

tbqh we needed climate action quickly and forcefully in 1980 too, just not as bad as 2008, growth is a bitch

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Marxalot posted:

Trump is many bad things. Yugely bad, even. But he is not that bad thing.

he had a nazi as an advisor and thought the nazis in charlottesville were good

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

https://www.njtvonline.org/news/video/sen-booker-co-sponsoring-bernie-sanders-medicare-bill/

noted spineless corporate whore Cory Booker has grasped that maybe-just-maybe publicly opposing the concept of improved health care for americans is a stupid idea

Probably not.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

yronic heroism posted:

Literally your hated abuela's attack line on Obama.

Well, she was right.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

oh, don't think for a moment that he'll actually support it if there was a chance it would go through, the man has Property of Pfizer Incorporated branded on his rear end.

but that even he can grasp the idea "publicly opposing this is a bad idea for democrats right now" is a genuinely encouraging baby step

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Ze Pollack posted:

he's at least giving lip service now. though you can almost certainly count on him to torpedo anything that has a chance of passing

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Condiv posted:

he had a nazi as an advisor and thought the nazis in charlottesville were good

He's exactly the kind of guy who would look at Bannon's coked up disheveled rear end and think "This man knows how to party. I should have him in my cabinet in an important position so maybe we can do an 8 ball in the oval office."

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Ze Pollack posted:

oh, don't think for a moment that he'll actually support it if there was a chance it would go through, the man has Property of Pfizer Incorporated branded on his rear end.

but that even he can grasp the idea "publicly opposing this is a bad idea for democrats right now" is a genuinely encouraging baby step

Why is this encouraging? Democrats have been floating popular poo poo with no intention of passing it or otherwise intentionally perverting it for decades. This is more of the same.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Why is this encouraging? Democrats have been floating popular poo poo with no intention of passing it or otherwise intentionally perverting it for decades. This is more of the same.

True, but it's a step forward from "We will not even seriously discuss this as an option, commie"

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It's really sad that people might be fooled by Booker and Harris' co-sponsoring of Bernie's bill. :(

Marxalot posted:

True, but it's a step forward from "We will not even seriously discuss this as an option, commie"

This only works if you assume Democrats operate in good faith. At this point, you have to be truly delusional to belive anything Dems say when they're in the opposition. Remember all that stuff Obama was supposed to do for unions? They can go chew soap. Lip service IS NOT PROGRESS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

remember "single payer will never, ever happen"

that is why this is encouraging

the overwhelming majority of politicians are spineless cowards. that the highest-profile, most bought-and-paid-for corporate democrats are capable of acknowledging it's too dangerous to publicly oppose anymore is great news.

because it means that they can ultimately be browbeaten into supporting the genuine article.

it is not success, and it will not be success until the drat thing finally passes, but it is a baby step down a road they've spent years aggressively denying even existed.

• Locked thread