Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I can't imagine anyone complaining about booker sponsoring bernie's bill, and I've been labeled as a centrist bad dem cultist. Please do primary booker, as long as that doesn't cause his seat to go R.

Booker's from loving New Jersey, ya dingus.

Also you've been labeled as such because you're a real whiny dingus, ya dingus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Regime change is already happening. slowly, and needs to be faster, but democrats are definately going through a change right now. I am not sure just changing the top people is enough as we also have to change the voters.

Regime change is happening? You really are delusional.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Condiv posted:

um, nice backhanded compliment i guess?

Not intentional, I have used my mistrust of this thread to shitpost, and I will try and not do that as there are some very legitimate good faith posters here that want what I want, but use very different means. Not everyone is NFS, and it took some time for me to see this. WampaLord really helped me with this as well.

Jizz Festival posted:

Jesus christ it's like you literally can't write a post without whining about something in it.

I truly belong.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Cerebral Bore posted:

Booker's from loving New Jersey, ya dingus.

Also you've been labeled as such because you're a real whiny dingus, ya dingus.

while NJ senate seats are safely held D seats, I won't take that for granted in this day and age. An attempt to depose Booker needs to take that potential risk into account.

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

Regime change is happening? You really are delusional.

Yes, if you think the dem leadership is in the same mindset now as it was 8 years ago I don't know what to tell you.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

What if instead of having to change the voters, dems needed to appeal to voters?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ReadyToHuman posted:

What if instead of having to change the voters, dems needed to appeal to voters?

por que no los dos?

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I lived in CA at the time, and I am not exactly sure what you wanted from that bill. It was A single payer bill, but not exactly a good one. I would much rather move for a MFA than sand up a new system with no structure.

"The democrats suck so much that their plan was really lovely" isn't a great defense of them not going forward with single payer in the most populous state in the country.

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe

Skyscraper posted:

Nobody loving cares, this is not the trump thread.

:smug: What about this, moron?

:): Well, here is a clear answer.

:smug: Nobody cares, get out!

Liberal arguments in a nutshell. Snowflakes can't handle the truth.

ReadyToHuman
Jan 8, 2016

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

por que no los dos?

Because the majority of the electorate is already right about things like single-payer and has been since before the ACA.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Jizz Festival posted:

"The democrats suck so much that their plan was really lovely" isn't a great defense of them not going forward with single payer in the most populous state in the country.

It was a lovely implementation if single payer, yes. A phase in of medicare for all would be much better than blowing up the insurance industry overnight.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

It was a lovely implementation if single payer, yes. A phase in of medicare for all would be much better than blowing up the insurance industry overnight.

i'm not really gonna cry any tears over the insurance industry

they're the same greedy fucks who decided obama's handout wasn't enough for them and have started exiting the ACA marketplaces

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

ReadyToHuman posted:

Because the majority of the electorate is already right about things like single-payer and has been since before the ACA.

Right, and the leadership is beginning to change as well. The voter's change in opinions usually precedes their representatives also holding those opinions. Funny that. That doesn't mean there aren't voters who can't be converted.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Yes, if you think the dem leadership is in the same mindset now as it was 8 years ago I don't know what to tell you.

Elites getting spooked and having a variety of reactions is not regime change.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

while NJ senate seats are safely held D seats, I won't take that for granted in this day and age. An attempt to depose Booker needs to take that potential risk into account.

Y'know, it's precisely because of this dumbshit unreasonable standard you're holding any attempt at changing things to is why people label you a bad dem cultist. It's like you've missed that you've been letting people like Booker run the party straight into the loving ground.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

The industry? No. The people that rely on paychecks to survive? Yes. There are hundreds of thousands of people who work in insurance, medical billing, and related fields that would have been directly negatively impacted, and any plan should have measures to lessen the burden on these people during a transition. executives can gently caress off though.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

The industry? No. The people that rely on paychecks to survive? Yes. There are hundreds of thousands of people who work in insurance, medical billing, and related fields that would have been directly negatively impacted, and any plan should have measures to lessen the burden on these people during a transition. executives can gently caress off though.

you mean like a functioning social safety net?

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Y'know, it's precisely because of this dumbshit unreasonable standard you're holding any attempt at changing things to is why people label you a bad dem cultist. It's like you've missed that you've been letting people like Booker run the party straight into the loving ground.

I'll take that one and own up to it. The fear of change has crippled the democrats, and we need to work to fix that. I'm ready to change it, but don't get mad if my risk aversion comes back avery now and again.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

they're the same greedy fucks who decided obama's handout wasn't enough for them and have started exiting the ACA marketplaces

You can execute insurance company CEOs in the streets for all I care but any plan to do single payer has to figure out how to avoid crashing the global economy due to so much of our GDP and employment being in healthcare.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

NewForumSoftware posted:

Yes.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

You can execute insurance company CEOs in the streets for all I care but any plan to do single payer has to figure out how to avoid crashing the global economy due to so much of our GDP and employment being in healthcare.

for some reason this argument doesn't apply to the industries being automated away, or being outsourced to death...

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011

NewForumSoftware posted:

"No my man. By entrenching the insurance industry firmly in society and enshrining it in law. It'd be cruel to subject Good, White Collar folk to the depridations of the failing economy and welfare state my ideology has caused."

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

Just out of curiosity, when has government regulation caused a market crash?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I'll take that one and own up to it. The fear of change has crippled the democrats, and we need to work to fix that. I'm ready to change it, but don't get mad if my risk aversion comes back avery now and again.

Well, fair enough.

EDIT: Though I'd argue that not shaking things up carries a much greater risk than doing so at this point.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

for some reason this argument doesn't apply to the industries being automated away, or being outsourced to death...

It actually does, there's a reason UBI keeps getting floated. We should be talking more about automation than we are.

Jizz Festival posted:

Just out of curiosity, when has government regulation caused a market crash?

I'm talking about any kind of plans to nationalize healthcare outright, you can kill the insurance companies slowly via Medicare for All style public options but any kind of hard shock would end badly.

That's what happens when we let a stupid industry become 18% of GDP of the largest economy on earth.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, fair enough.

EDIT: Though I'd argue that not shaking things up carries a much greater risk than doing so at this point.

I agree, which is what made me come around on this point. We've allowed ourselves to stagnate and the rot has set in. i don't always agree on where the rot is, but it doesn't matter.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

It actually does, there's a reason UBI keeps getting floated. We should be talking more about automation than we are.

i'm still not fond of the argument that the current healthcare system, which kills plenty (and killed my friend) should be upheld till we get even more unachievable social policy in place

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Condiv posted:

it should.

AstheWorldWorlds
May 4, 2011
You're a goddamn fool if you think the insurance companies are going to allow themselves to slowly die.

When will moderates realize these forces do not rest, they wait and recoup and then come back at you like demons and usually succeed. We've already gone through this with the failure of social democracy, to give a recent example.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

i'm still not fond of the argument that the current healthcare system, which kills plenty (and killed my friend) should be upheld till we get even more unachievable social policy in place

l'm not disagreeing with you on a morality basis.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

AstheWorldWorlds posted:

You're a goddamn fool if you think the insurance companies are going to allow themselves to slowly die.

When will moderates realize these forces do not rest, they wait and recoup and then come back at you like demons and usually succeed. We've already gone through this with the failure of social democracy, to give a recent example.

Goddamn this. You don't drag it out and give the fuckers time to fight back, you drive a stake through their heart in one go. Any economic worries are dumb anyway, it's not like people living paycheck to paycheck are just going to sit on whatever money they now don't have to pay to the insurance companies, they'll spend that on other things. Might even stimulate the economy in the end.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
Two pages late but...

At a minimum, pro-UHC messaging should cut down on how often UHC advocacy garners accusations of ~brogressivism~ and that's probably the most Centrists have done for my quality of life in the last half decade

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I'm talking about any kind of plans to nationalize healthcare outright, you can kill the insurance companies slowly via Medicare for All style public options but any kind of hard shock would end badly.

That's what happens when we let a stupid industry become 18% of GDP of the largest economy on earth.

When has nationalizing an industry ever caused a market crash?

John Henry Miller
Sep 11, 2017

by Smythe

Jizz Festival posted:

Ask Venezuela.

And Cuba.

And Eastern Europe . . .

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jizz Festival posted:

The nationalization isn't the problem, the problem is that those jobs and businesses are redundant and an explicit goal of public healthcare is eliminating them.

This is a good thing. Period. Those resources would be better spent on other things. But if ~10% of GDP and hundreds of thousands of jobs disappear in a short period we call that a depression. Having a global economic crash blamed squarely on leftist policy is bad.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

The nationalization isn't the problem, the problem is that those jobs and businesses are redundant and an explicit goal of public healthcare is eliminating them.

This is a good thing. Period. Those resources would be better spent on other things. But if ~10% of GDP and hundreds of thousands of jobs disappear in a short period we call that a depression. Having a global economic crash blamed squarely on leftist policy is bad.

This

I healthcare was 5% of GDP, i wouldn't care. But insurance companies have purposefully made themselves too big to fail. deflate them, and let the linger in a much smaller private insurance market.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

The change wouldn't come out of nowhere, there would be time after the passing of the plan but before its execution for everything to adjust.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Jizz Festival posted:

The change wouldn't come out of nowhere, there would be time after the passing of the plan but before its execution for everything to adjust.

I should hope so. All I'm saying is that healthcare policy designed to create public healthcare has to shift resources out of private healthcare without triggering a crash. I'm not morally opposed to "gently caress insurance companies tomorrow."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/907253480489807872

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

I mean, lets be honest. If he he didn't kill Heather Heyer, that story would've been buried too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Lightning Knight posted:

I should hope so. All I'm saying is that healthcare policy designed to create public healthcare has to shift resources out of private healthcare without triggering a crash. I'm not morally opposed to "gently caress insurance companies tomorrow."

I'm not convinced it would trigger a crash, is the thing. Would ending the health insurance industry in one fell swoop be equivalent to bursting a bubble? I'm actually not sure.

• Locked thread