Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

The opening scene was a little bit much, especially the alien cum part. :barf: But that's McFarlane humor for ya.
I took that much more as Zoidberg Ink. Still gross, obviously.

Binary Badger posted:

Why do all the Federation good guy ships look like shoes? And the engines are heel straps?
Well the engines use blarfon radiation and the design aesthetic is trek-adjacent but distinctive enough for you to know That's a Union ship! that makes it good design imo

Binary Badger posted:

Hey, no transporters. Welp there goes a ton of really gross jokes McFarlane had in mind. I bet.
You act as though the decision was done to him rather than made by him. Source, or speculation? Anyway if they introduce transporters later on there is even more of an excuse for hijinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Let's face it, transporters create more story telling problems than they solve and the only reason they were included in the first place were SFX constraints.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the tech exists in this universe but everyone is too horrified to use it on anything living.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Martha Stewart Undying posted:

I'm tired of people saying "Into Darkness" when I ask what their favorite trek is. We are in the mirrorverse guys.

At least it's not someone saying they liked Nemesis better than The Wrath of Khan :(

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Anyone who doesn't rank Nemesis as the worst Star Trek movie of all time is a soulless minion of orthodoxy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I watched Into Darkness in exchange for making a friend watch all of Voyager, but I still refuse to watch Nemesis.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Paradoxish posted:

I watched Into Darkness in exchange for making a friend watch all of Voyager, but I still refuse to watch Nemesis.

This is fair, I'd rather watch both than Nemesis.
Nemesis made me lose a ton of respect for Spiner and Stewart, which is a terrible thing to do to a person :( You god drat self-indulgent fucks ruining your own characters and your own franchise.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What's worse, Nemesis or Insurrection?

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

Well, this is sad. Stellar Parallax, the modding time behind Star Trek Armada 3, announced over the weekend that they have cancelled Star Trek Infinities, their Trek mod for Stellaris. According to their official statement, it was mostly bad luck that killed the project. A lot of the team ended up getting caught up in real-life stuff, and the way Paradox patches their games meant they essentially had to start from scratch every time a new update was released, and they ultimately just didn't have the manpower to keep up. We still have New Horizons, and the Stellar Parallax team is apparently planning something new at the moment, but it's a disappointment all the same.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I think it's actually extremely stupid to work on massive total conversion mods for games that are still incredibly actively being developed with huge sweeping changes with every patch.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Insurrection is at least light-hearted, has some humor (albeit cringey), and kind of vaguely resembles a wonky early-season two-parter. It's got some fun sequences like Data running amok in the invisibility suits at the beginning and everyone seems to be having a not-miserable time.

Nemesis is just wall-to-wall bleak violent crap. It's literally the only Star Trek I have a hard time getting through all the way without shutting it off.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Wheat Loaf posted:

Insurrection always reminds me of Final Frontier in the sense that it's a pretty bad movie, but it still has a handful of moments elevating it just slightly above the bottom of the barrel. Into Darkness, same deal. Nemesis is worse than all of them, but maybe not by much.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Baronjutter posted:

I think it's actually extremely stupid to work on massive total conversion mods for games that are still incredibly actively being developed with huge sweeping changes with every patch.

The problem with your stance is that Paradox strategy games (modern ones anyway) are basically in this cycle for literal years, so you have to start developing it at some point, or you'll be waiting until they announce CK3/EU5/Stellaris 2 to start. Even their more stable/better designed games remake entire systems with each expansion.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I'm 20 minutes in, and I'm actually enjoying the Orville.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Orv posted:

The problem with your stance is that Paradox strategy games (modern ones anyway) are basically in this cycle for literal years, so you have to start developing it at some point, or you'll be waiting until they announce CK3/EU5/Stellaris 2 to start. Even their more stable/better designed games remake entire systems with each expansion.

Yeah, it's certainly a tough situation with all their games. But I think with Stellaris in particular is really still in its teething stage.

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Wheat Loaf posted:

Insurrection is just kind of bland and boring. Nemesis doesn't work as a movie on any level.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Let's face it, transporters create more story telling problems than they solve and the only reason they were included in the first place were SFX constraints.

I also wouldn't be surprised if the tech exists in this universe but everyone is too horrified to use it on anything living.

"We could transport someone but you would be insane to do so, we can't teleport a soul".

Come to think of it were there ever any races in Trek that entirely eschewed transports for reasons like that? It seems like something a race like the Bajorans would do.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Orv posted:

Speaking as someone who has worked on Paradox mod projects through several big release cycles, usually updates are a doozy to first tackle, but there's almost always One Simple Trick that eventually falls into place and makes the mod patch-compatible again (admittedly, sometimes that simple trick involves redoing a file in a completely new format, but once you figure out the pattern for converting entries it's all good). And even when Paradox remakes entire systems, there's usually options in the defines files to disable stuff and force the game to act close to how it used to be.

There's a lot of ways to structure a mod to be robust enough to handle updates and gameplay changes.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Wheat Loaf posted:

Insurrection has a lot of really dumb decisions but it at least isn't just making GBS threads on your sensibilities like Nemesis is. Insurrection also has somewhat coherent and understandable motives for its characters even though they make stupid decisions to further those motives, unlike Nemesis where Picard gets mopey about his clone being evil because "nuhhhh if we're the same person what does his evil say about me??" and Shinzon being evil because ????????????

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm 100% sincere when I say that if John Logan came out and said he actually deliberately wrote Nemesis to frustrate and anger Star Trek fans, the entire movie would make way more sense. It's that aggressively stupid.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That said, I've gradually come to the conclusion that as much as I hate Nemesis, I'd still actually watch it over the 2013 Captain Harlock movie.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That said, I've gradually come to the conclusion that as much as I hate Nemesis, I'd still actually watch it over the 2013 Captain Harlock movie.

I hadn't watched the Harlock movie and was actually just considering it.

Thanks for the unintentional heads up.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Insurrection has a lot of really dumb decisions but it at least isn't just making GBS threads on your sensibilities like Nemesis is. Insurrection also has somewhat coherent and understandable motives for its characters even though they make stupid decisions to further those motives, unlike Nemesis where Picard gets mopey about his clone being evil because "nuhhhh if we're the same person what does his evil say about me??" and Shinzon being evil because ????????????

Insurrection also had the ability to bring up ancient Earth musicals with the touch of two buttons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mister Kingdom posted:

Insurrection also had the ability to bring up ancient Earth musicals with the touch of two buttons.

I feel like that's probably the computer knowing exactly what Picard could geek out over at any moment like some kind of ADHD history-sperg hipster.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nemesis is still the worst IMO. As much as i have problems with Into Darkness, Final Frontier, and Insurrection, they all have some redeeming qualities.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It's been said before but Insurrection is like a two part episode from season 3 TNG. It's okay, better than other stuff (in this case Nemesis), but has some really dumb moments and cringy writing.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

It's been said before but Insurrection is like a two part episode from season 3 TNG. It's okay, better than other stuff (in this case Nemesis), but has some really dumb moments and cringy writing.
Oh believe me I hate Insurrection, but my bigger problem is that it's just bland

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

I literally have not seen Insurrection or Nemesis since Nemesis came out. I might have seen Insurrection on video around that time, but I don't remember for sure.

And I'm OK with that.

Edit: I probably haven't seen First Contact in nearly as long. I'm more or less OK with that too.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Both those movies were a turning point for young me in that they were the first Star Treks I was never interested in owning on home video.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I literally have not seen Insurrection or Nemesis since Nemesis came out. I might have seen Insurrection on video around that time, but I don't remember for sure.

And I'm OK with that.

Edit: I probably haven't seen First Contact in nearly as long. I'm more or less OK with that too.
First Contact is still good

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The gently caress kind of redeeming qualities does Insurrection have? Nemesis is an amazingly stupid movie but at least some things happen in it. They're ridiculous, unreasonable, douchey things but they happen. Insurrection's plot is completely trivial and unimportant, ten minutes of bland meaningless events dragged out over two hours, whoever just said it was exactly like an overgrown TNG two-parter is bang on.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

A TNG two parter is better than someone kicking a puppy on screen for two hours.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Arglebargle III posted:

A TNG two parter is better than someone kicking a puppy on screen for two hours.

Speaking of which, I'm watching Redemption Pt. II. Helpful recap right now.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

And now, the conclusion

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh boy. :allears:

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

They're flying at a star to deter their pursuers, that's cool.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Evek posted:

Anyone who doesn't rank Nemesis as the worst Star Trek movie of all time is a soulless minion of orthodoxy.

I like it better than 9/11 conspiracy movie Into Darkness and its irredeemably worthless third act, but this is like choosing your own method of torture.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard seems to be going back on what he said and begging Starfleet to let him enter the Syrian Klingon civil war so the friendly side wins. I thought his reason wasn't lack of authority, but because Starfleet shouldn't be involved.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Okay I do like the blockade idea.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Try not to think about how a blockade would work in 3D space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Picard is talking about setting up tripwires between pairs of ships to detect the cloaked Romulans but isn't space so unimaginably huge they could go around