Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Any recommendations for a iOS planner app?

Define what you're looking for--for a calendar, I like Fantastical. I normally just use iOS reminders for anything else, but I can tell you Things is a waste of money that gives the appearance of configurability but it's actually just a lovely UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

triple sulk posted:

A vast majority of people will buy the 8/8+ and still have the second best phone on the market.

"It's the second best iPhone we've ever made and we think you're going to love it." Hell of a marketing pitch.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Grassy Knowles posted:

Define what you're looking for--for a calendar, I like Fantastical. I normally just use iOS reminders for anything else, but I can tell you Things is a waste of money that gives the appearance of configurability but it's actually just a lovely UI.

Yeah mostly a calendar. The problem I run into with the regular calendar is that I have reminders for myself every day at work through Outlook which gets incorporated into my iOS Calendar. This is fine, but it makes it tough to find a particular event if I'm trying to remember when it is (far-off doctors visits for the kids, for example.)

So I'd like a calendar app that is easier to read, searchable, and also has more than 2 reminders (a week, a day, and an hour or two would be ideal.)

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ouhei posted:

I preordered my 7+ through verizon on day one?

Sorry, to clarify:

Preorder sure, that probably will be there.

If you waned to buy the phone in store on launch day, that was apple only.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I think I'm willing to give up Touch ID for an oled screen. Despite hating everything about android on a Pixel, that screen ruined me for LCD.

Aw, come on. Everything is unfair. The notifications system is rad as hell if (a) you ignore the dumpster fire that is Android's "overpopulated Windows 95 task tray" UI model and (b) you primarily use those rare humane, maintained, well-developed apps that take advantage of cool features like Oreo's Notification Channels. I would love to be able to configure iOS to give me different notifications from a single app.

If nothing else, Android at least still allows you to group missed notifications by app, which Apple so far has not deigned to give us back.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

lol i forgot the latest android OS is named loving Oreo

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user
Appropriate, since Oreo filling is awful and only the cookie portion is good

GoldfishStew
Feb 25, 2017

ASK ME ABOUT BEING A GROWNUP WHO FUCKS A REAL DOLL
Wow an ugly and dumb baby

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

enojy posted:

I'm not sure why it'd merit a $300 premium otherwise... ah poo poo! I forgot, this is Apple we're talking about here.
Apple can't release another flagship without AMOLED now most people have seen AMOLED, and Samsung control most/all large-scale supply. In most cases Apple get two companies to make identical parts and race each other to produce / lower cost (see: "which iPhone chip do i have?"-gate) but this can't happen here as they'd need every other non-samsung producer to work together and have something like 10 different possible screens.
Rumour is Apple have been had over a barrel on sourcing them (~$150 per unit) and that's going into the handset cost.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

isn't AMOLED the lovely OLED tech where they have more of the pixels that your eyes suck at seeing and fewer of the pixels you're good at seeing, making it a decent approximation of the colour space but in practice super-saturated and totally inaccurate? i hope we get actual RGB OLED not the weird AMOLED compromise

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

isn't AMOLED the lovely OLED tech where they have more of the pixels that your eyes suck at seeing and fewer of the pixels you're good at seeing, making it a decent approximation of the colour space but in practice super-saturated and totally inaccurate? i hope we get actual RGB OLED not the weird AMOLED compromise

There's quite a few different sub-brands of OLED and Super AMOLED, though generally all the above is fixed in software. I'd imagine Apple would do this right.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Molten Llama posted:

Aw, come on. Everything is unfair. The notifications system is rad as hell if (a) you ignore the dumpster fire that is Android's "overpopulated Windows 95 task tray" UI model and (b) you primarily use those rare humane, maintained, well-developed apps that take advantage of cool features like Oreo's Notification Channels. I would love to be able to configure iOS to give me different notifications from a single app.

If nothing else, Android at least still allows you to group missed notifications by app, which Apple so far has not deigned to give us back.

Ehhhhh fair point.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

though generally all the above is fixed in software

no i'm talking about the physical pixels making up the display, not software

you can see how the ratio of R:G:B is not equal, it's to save $$ while getting 'good enough' results. it works, it looks vibrant and poo poo, but it's inaccurate as hell.

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Any recommendations for a iOS planner app?

I like Things 3. I was using OmniFocus before but it had a lot of overhead on iOS for creating little tasks. Things 3 streamlines a lot of that for me.

My only grump is you have to buy an app for each platform (iPad, iPhone, Mac). That said, if it supports them making some sweet software, I'm okay with it.

Fantastical also has some interesting and useful integration with todo-style things and your calendar. I don't use it, but I've glanced at it. I'm list oriented instead of calendar oriented so that's why I chose OmniFocus and then Things 3.

EDIT: more content

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

astral posted:

I never remember, do the old models' prices drop when the new phones are announced, when they're available for pre-order, or when they are shipping/available in stores? USA if it makes a difference.

I never tried to buy the last model for personal use so this is strictly "buying for a company" experience, but we were always offered the drop the day after, or sometimes the same day, as the announcement. Usually the last model was "free" albeit with half the storage that the base model had a year earlier.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pivo posted:

no i'm talking about the physical pixels making up the display, not software

you can see how the ratio of R:G:B is not equal, it's to save $$ while getting 'good enough' results. it works, it looks vibrant and poo poo, but it's inaccurate as hell.
This is a pentile subpixel arrangement. It's been used exclusively on AMOLED screens as far as I'm aware, but no, not all AMOLED panels have pentile screens. This year's Samsungs use standard RGB stripe subpixels (they seem to alternate back and forth), so I wouldn't expect Apple to be different.

EDIT: Apparently, the S8 does have Pentile, actually.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 12, 2017

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
[quote="“Jealous Cow”" post="“476300085”"]
Third party apps are awful. The design is horribly inconsistent, performance is awful, and everything just feels slapped together.
[/quote]

Interesting, sounds really similar to my experience going the other way.

Before I switched to iOS I’d never seen an app that didn’t work properly with the screen resolution my phone was using now I have to deal with three of them.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I shutter at the thought of my mom having an android and calling me at 1 AM for tech support when she's trying to update the OS or some poo poo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Incidentally, here's the subpixel arrangement on the Apple Watch (also an AMOLED). Still one of each subpixel, but they're arranged a bit differently. Not sure how this affects things.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

This is a pentile subpixel arrangement.

Today I learned! It's a Samsung patent, and what I said was exactly correct - it's a tradeoff to cheaply get more resolution at the cost of accuracy by exploiting the differing sensitivity across the spectrum of the human eye. Neat idea, but yeah, I don't think Apple would go for this ...

I honestly would prefer a perfect mix of R:G:B like proper LCDs, just to be as accurate as possible ... But, eh, we'll see. To be honest I thought the whole point of the 'AM' in 'AMOLED' was that subpixel arrangement. But AM just stands for active matrix which could apply to any LCD. Well, as long as it's colour-accurate, I'll be happy.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Interesting, sounds really similar to my experience going the other way.

Before I switched to iOS I’d never seen an app that didn’t work properly with the screen resolution my phone was using now I have to deal with three of them.

Which apps?

Apps built using UI kit and geometry rather than graphics for UI elements are usually very consistent. Apps that are built using third party SDKs and compiled into versions for various platforms, or that use heavy custom graphics, tend to be poor user experiences.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

Today I learned! It's a Samsung patent, and what I said was exactly correct - it's a tradeoff to cheaply get more resolution at the cost of accuracy by exploiting the differing sensitivity across the spectrum of the human eye. Neat idea, but yeah, I don't think Apple would go for this ...

I honestly would prefer a perfect mix of R:G:B like proper LCDs, just to be as accurate as possible ... But, eh, we'll see. To be honest I thought the whole point of the 'AM' in 'AMOLED' was that subpixel arrangement. But AM just stands for active matrix which could apply to any LCD. Well, as long as it's colour-accurate, I'll be happy.

Again, just because you have x% more of a particular colour doesn't mean you don't fix this in software.
hint: make some dimmer

You can get accurate colours from AMOLED.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

hint: make some dimmer

no, make some brighter... which you can't... hit a physical limit. you can't calibrate these things to be accurate, the whole point of the tradeoff is they just can't express the same brightness across the visible spectrum.

maybe i'm just spoiled, maybe bright AND accurate displays isn't something everyone cares about. but i hope Apple does it right.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Jealous Cow posted:

Which apps?

Apps built using UI kit and geometry rather than graphics for UI elements are usually very consistent. Apps that are built using third party SDKs and compiled into versions for various platforms, or that use heavy custom graphics, tend to be poor user experiences.

The one from my cellular provider to check how much data has been used and manage the account is the number one offender - I dunno how it was built but it looks blurry and blown up on my 7+ and the keyboard is huge.

I know it’s because it’s a bad app but I have to use it and it scaled no problem on Android.

The other ones that behave poorly are the app for my smart tv and the one from the local taxi company which I use far less often.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Pivo posted:

no, make some brighter... which you can't... hit a physical limit. you can't calibrate these things to be accurate, the whole point of the tradeoff is they just can't express the same brightness across the visible spectrum.

maybe i'm just spoiled, maybe bright AND accurate displays isn't something everyone cares about. but i hope Apple does it right.

AMOLED screens get bright enough to be physically painful even in a well lit room; there's masses of latitude to do this and it's what the rest are doing already to get accurate colours.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

The one from my cellular provider to check how much data has been used and manage the account is the number one offender - I dunno how it was built but it looks blurry and blown up on my 7+ and the keyboard is huge.

I know it’s because it’s a bad app but I have to use it and it scaled no problem on Android.

The other ones that behave poorly are the app for my smart tv and the one from the local taxi company which I use far less often.

Smart TV apps are almost universally terrible and the taxi (in Australia) ones are poo poo too.

for me to show pictures from my phone on my parents samsung TV I have to have them in the camera roll as it cant traverse to other folders and also I have to show them all in the first go because every time I open it after that, the app refuses to actually open my camera roll until the next time it updates, then it works once again.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

dissss posted:

Yeah the ATT app is basically a web view which sucks. I'd imagine the other carriers are similar. They do this for maximum capability across devices with minimum effort.

For me a great comparison is the Awful apps on both iOS and android. Both are examples of pretty good apps, but the iOS one to me anyway is much better.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Khablam posted:

AMOLED screens get bright enough to be physically painful even in a well lit room; there's masses of latitude to do this and it's what the rest are doing already to get accurate colours.

you're right they do crazy poo poo these days (honestly 1000nits peak what?!), i was basing my comments on old tech, back when it was poo poo. you're right. i'm sorry.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

The AT&T app is one of the worst apps I have ever had to use, which makes total sense because their website is one of the worst sites I have ever had to use.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Weedle posted:

The AT&T app is one of the worst apps I have ever had to use, which makes total sense because their website is one of the worst sites I have ever had to use.

I like how some functions in the app flat out don't work, because their site detects the browser version and loads the mobile homepage, instead of whatever app specific page the app tried to load.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I shutter at the thought of my mom having an android and calling me at 1 AM for tech support when she's trying to update the OS or some poo poo

That doesn't make any sense because Android phones don't get OS updates.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Evis posted:

That doesn't make any sense because Android phones don't get OS updates.

Pls reference this section: "or some poo poo"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Molten Llama posted:

YMMV, but i far prefer iOS notifications being mostly well-done right from the start than my S8+, where I have to experiment with third party hacks endlessly, every one with their same set of quirks, just to get notifications to wake up the lockscreen.

Khablam posted:

Apple can't release another flagship without AMOLED now most people have seen AMOLED, and Samsung control most/all large-scale supply. In most cases Apple get two companies to make identical parts and race each other to produce / lower cost (see: "which iPhone chip do i have?"-gate) but this can't happen here as they'd need every other non-samsung producer to work together and have something like 10 different possible screens.
Rumour is Apple have been had over a barrel on sourcing them (~$150 per unit) and that's going into the handset cost.

Samsung is lucky they still have one lone OLED trump card to target Achilles's heel of Apple, otherwise they will be made almost completely irrelevant in the flagship arms race. I have no doubt Apple is dumping billions into LG's OLED division right now for the same reasons.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I haven't had an amoled phone in a while, but so far I've owned 5 smartphones - my galaxy S, galaxy nexus and Lumia 930 had amoled screens, my Lumia 920 and iPhone 6S plus ad LCD screens, and the LCD screens looked much better to me. Obviously you expect screens to get better over time, but the iPhone looked much better than the Lumia 930 despite having a lower pixel density. The Lumia 920 looked a shitload better than the galaxy nexus despite having the same resolution. The Lumia 920 vs 930 was very close, but considering the 930 had a 1080p screen vs 720 on the 920 you'd expect a much bigger difference. Windows phone also uses white text on black background by default which would play heavily to the strengths of amoled. iOS overwhelmingly uses black text on white backgrounds.

Which leads me to wonder whether Apple plans a dark theme specifically due to the switch to amoled.

arbybaconator
Dec 18, 2007

All hat and no cattle

One of the default wallpapers in the iOS11 GM is a plain black wallpaper.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

arbybaconator posted:

Early awaiting the tech write up for high battery consumption issues to be to set this as the wallpaper. Since the screen will suck battery like a vampire.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

The Lord Bude posted:

I haven't had an amoled phone in a while, but so far I've owned 5 smartphones - my galaxy S, galaxy nexus and Lumia 930 had amoled screens, my Lumia 920 and iPhone 6S plus ad LCD screens, and the LCD screens looked much better to me. Obviously you expect screens to get better over time, but the iPhone looked much better than the Lumia 930 despite having a lower pixel density. The Lumia 920 looked a shitload better than the galaxy nexus despite having the same resolution. The Lumia 920 vs 930 was very close, but considering the 930 had a 1080p screen vs 720 on the 920 you'd expect a much bigger difference. Windows phone also uses white text on black background by default which would play heavily to the strengths of amoled. iOS overwhelmingly uses black text on white backgrounds.

Which leads me to wonder whether Apple plans a dark theme specifically due to the switch to amoled.

Samsung phone OLEDs are as a rule are poorly calibrated out of the box in color accuracy, and it wasn't until S4/Note 3 where the PPI is made high enough to make the visual artifacts of pentile disappear.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

arbybaconator posted:

It only took them how many years?

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Ultimate Mango posted:

Early awaiting the tech write up for high battery consumption issues to be to set this as the wallpaper. Since the screen will suck battery like a vampire.

Don't worry, I'm sure The Verge will have a 3 page article about how it's changing the way we personalise our phones very soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
I'm pretty sure I'm not the one who thinks the very rarity and price of the iPhone X will ironically make demand shoot through the stratosphere.