Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

For the people that'd care about a Muslim president there already has been one.

This is really well-put. I'm not sure anyone who would be turned off by his religion would have voted for him anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

There is a suck zone thread for people who feel an unexplainable drive to sit in a circle and assure each other that they aren't single-minded zealots.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I hate you all.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Bernie would have locked USPOL.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Ralepozozaxe posted:

It seems like the person taking this picture was more fixated on the missing mailbox than the huge tree that was ripped in half in front of an elementary school.

I was trying to go for a thing you know? The poles and tree on either sides are upright while the mailbox and tree are kind of at mirrored angles. Micro in the foreground and macro in the background? I guess it didn't work that well.

Tatsuta Age posted:

How'd the noodles turn out

The IGA was still boarded up. I returned home noodleless.

Later I took a picture of the tree that took out my folks power.

I like the converging lines on this one.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 11, 2017

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Why not just make a "dems are good thread" and then it becomes probatable itt to criticize or complement democrats and leftists

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Calibanibal posted:

Why not just make a "dems are good thread" and then it becomes probatable itt to criticize or complement democrats and leftists

It's so crazy it just might work!

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

7c Nickel posted:

I was trying to go for a thing you know? The poles and tree on either sides are upright while the mailbox and tree are kind of at mirrored angles. Micro in the foreground and macro in the background? I guess it didn't work that well.

Don't be discouraged, I saw both and thought the juxtaposition was good. Nice pictures, thanks for sharing!

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Majorian posted:

But the fact that so many of her big-time fans, like Joy Ann Reid, still insist that the Democrats need to jettison the working class in favor of :stonk:city-dwellers:stonk: in order to win elections, is pretty galling.
Has anyone else noticed nearby dogs losing their minds and bleeding from the skull? Why do you feel the need to make a distinction between "the working class" and "city-dwellers"? Does the more urban version not count, for some reason?

I'd also love the essay or transcript for the claim you attribute to Reid.

Pembroke Fuse posted:

Hillary and Bernie are at this point both seriously divisive well-poisoners who need to bow out of the lime-light and put their energy into behind-the-scenes work. I've seen enough arguments on Twitter and dKos that amount to cult of personality poo poo (Hillary/Bernie fanfiction, each side accusing the other of being corporate/Russian shills, etc, etc).

Pembroke Fuse posted:

I wish we could lock Hillary and Bernie in a sound-proof room. Forever. And then get on with the very hard task of trying to elect Dems while shifting the overton window to the left.
The DNC Chair race was disappointing proof to me that even if they both departed the scene, the angst and divisiveness would remain. There are those who wish to relitigate the primary (and when that's barred to them, the general) ad nauseam and there's no reason to believe either side will stop just because the figureheads go silent.

To avoid contributing further: 2020 will need a Dem making a positive and affirmative case in order to have success-the winner can't be the most AntiTrump. It will be interesting to see if either figurehead endorses, and what happens in the vacuum if they do not. Given the calendar, whichever camp avoids schism may have an insurmountable edge. If it's a clowncar like the last few GOP races have been, all bets are off.

cargo cult posted:

I cant tell if it's a good or bad thing that so many Rs across bot h houses are indicating they want to retire. Will they be replaced by literal Nazis?
There are indications (including from our very own joementum the twitter account below) that many D challengers for these retirees are already showing up wellfunded. It looks like the prospect of depleting the warchest through a bruising primary is helping these incumbents decide that discretion is the better part of valor.
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/907272969763868672
As for if it's a good thing or a bad thing, most of these seats will likely be held by the GOP. But if you were to list out conditions for the Dems to take back the House, "GOP gives up incumbency advantage in districts nationwide" is likely one of the keys. Pretty much every resignation will be a boon here, especially if Bannon et al are trophy hunting in the primaries.

e: I also enjoy the photos! Hopefully that's the extent of the damage your family/friends see this season.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

People really need to realize that d&d and Twitter don't encompass the whole of us politics

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Good point motto!

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Motto posted:

People really need to realize that d&d and Twitter don't encompass the whole of us politics

Are you saying that my personal beliefs don't represent all of my political alignment? I refuse to accept that I do not have my finger on the pulse of the movement.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

Motto posted:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Has anyone else noticed nearby dogs losing their minds and bleeding from the skull? Why do you feel the need to make a distinction between "the working class" and "city-dwellers"? Does the more urban version not count, for some reason?

I'm paraphrasing the way Reid herself has put it; I'm not trying to dogwhistle:

https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/881278529182158848

Her strategy for the Democratic Party has been to rely on the axiom that demographics equals destiny, and that getting out the vote in big urban centers will swing presidential elections. The problem is, this doesn't really work at getting over the 270 hump in the EC. We're not going to be a minority-majority nation until around 2040, and I'm pretty sure we can't wait that long.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Motto posted:

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Majorian posted:

https://twitter.com/joyannreid/status/881278529182158848

Her strategy for the Democratic Party has been to rely on the axiom that demographics equals destiny, and that getting out the vote in big urban centers will swing presidential elections. The problem is, this doesn't really work at getting over the 270 hump in the EC. We're not going to be a minority-majority nation until around 2040, and I'm pretty sure we can't wait that long.

"The demographics are shifting in our favor," repeated the increasingly nervous man.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

https://mobile.twitter.com/APWestRegion/status/907339143461699584

oh also, happy 9/11

https://mobile.twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/907142947354828800

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Majorian posted:

Her strategy for the Democratic Party has been to rely on the axiom that demographics equals destiny, and that getting out the vote in big urban centers will swing presidential elections. The problem is, this doesn't really work at getting over the 270 hump in the EC

let alone win at the state and local levels, which you kinda need to do in order to be a national party

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Muppets On PCP posted:

let alone win at the state and local levels, which you kinda need to do in order to be a national party

Exactly. And she's a very smart person, who has offered some pretty insightful commentary in the past. So it's a shame to see her back such a bad strategy going forward, having apparently learned all the wrong lessons from 2016. (or the past decade, for that matter)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

The biggest challenge on the state and local level is that there's more than a bit of a catch 22 in many states where in order to win you need the district lines to be unfucked, but until the SCOTUS stops loving the constitution that would require for the left to win the seats that determine how those lines are drawn.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

The biggest challenge on the state and local level is that there's more than a bit of a catch 22 in many states where in order to win you need the district lines to be unfucked, but until the SCOTUS stops loving the constitution that would require for the left to win the seats that determine how those lines are drawn.

All true, but yikes, the Democrats didn't help their prospects at all by basically putting all their chips on keeping the presidency and letting state governments go to seed.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

No they certainly did not. Though with many of the states I don't know if they really had much of a chance.

Specifically there's a feedback loop of 'State gets a bit shittier with regressive policies' -> 'More progressive indivdiuals leave to go to other states for better opportunities' -> 'The more regressive individuals remaining vote in more regressive politicians' -> 'State gets a bit shittier with regressive policies'

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
It's generally hard to tell how much of a chance you would have had in contests that you've totally written off, yes. This doesn't mean that you should keep throwing game after game though, which is what Joy Reid et al seem to have picked as their preferred way forward.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Tammy Duckworth 2020/24/28 whatever the gently caress one she wants.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cerebral Bore posted:

It's generally hard to tell how much of a chance you would have had in contests that you've totally written off, yes. This doesn't mean that you should keep throwing game after game though, which is what Joy Reid et al seem to have picked as their preferred way forward.

I'm certainly not in favor of writing them off as that only ensures that the situation gets worse. I just don't feel that progress there is something that can be expected, especially in the short term.

Now with this shitshow of an administration and the cracking at the seams of places like Kansas and Oklahoma... maybe?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Tammy Duckworth 2020/24/28 whatever the gently caress one she wants.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Taerkar posted:

I'm certainly not in favor of writing them off as that only ensures that the situation gets worse. I just don't feel that progress there is something that can be expected, especially in the short term.

Now with this shitshow of an administration and the cracking at the seams of places like Kansas and Oklahoma... maybe?

Well, again, you can't know how much progress you can make unless you actually try. Basically this is why you need a 50-state strategy.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Taerkar posted:

gerrymandering is a huge problem but it's not insurmountable

what should be more worrying is over 40% of state legislative races were unopposed last year

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Cerebral Bore posted:

Well, again, you can't know how much progress you can make unless you actually try. Basically this is why you need a 50-state strategy.

Very much so. If anything what I was saying in my previous post is that the 50 state strategy should be adhered to and stuck with, not dumped after a cycle or two.

With how nutty many regressive candidates are there's a lot of potential Todd Akins out there.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Motto posted:

What about my social circle and work network, consisting of people who DEFINITELY feel comfortable disagreeing with me about politics because I am charming and not at all a combative rear end in a top hat? It's crazy how everyone agrees with me.

Majorian posted:

I don't see working class mentioned anywhere in there. So you put it in. Specifically as the opposite of "urbanites", which you took as "city-dwellers". You've fundamentally altered the meaning of her tweet, and in doing, (charitably!) stumbled into a colossal dogwhistle.

Even your altered version is wrong, however:
There are 41m white working class adults in the footprint of metro areas with a footprint of at least 1m people (nearly double the number in footprints smaller than 50,000). According to the US census, White poverty rates are higher in urban areas than rural, and rural white median income is markedly higher than urban median income for nearly every other racial category. The working class is predominantly urbanite. The WHITE WORKING CLASS is predominantly urbanite.

I can see why you're angry with your interpretation of her tweet. But she's not saying what you think she is, even in your uncharitable version.

Taerkar posted:

No they certainly did not. Though with many of the states I don't know if they really had much of a chance.

Specifically there's a feedback loop of 'State gets a bit shittier with regressive policies' -> 'More progressive indivdiuals leave to go to other states for better opportunities' -> 'The more regressive individuals remaining vote in more regressive politicians' -> 'State gets a bit shittier with regressive policies'
The party with the presidency tends to lose state houses and governors mansions, especially in midterms. Unfortunately, 2010 fell along redistricting and from that point forward, Dems faced a doublewhammy of new suppression laws and gerrymandered districts, literally costing them state houses despite the popular vote in some cases. This is coupled with a concerted effort by dark money and conservative financiers to win state houses, against a Democratic party where many oppose similar financing. Certainly they could have done more and the losses reflect a failure on the part of DNC & OFA, but pretending that Dems decided not to give a gently caress about state and local races is ahistorical.

With 5,898 seats available, Dems ran 5,903 candidates to the GOP's 6,042. To be clear, 40% is not the percentage of seats Ds left unopposed. There are practical reasons for this (finding a candidate willing to put in the time, money, and subject their family to the scrutiny against a wellfunded incumbent in a +30 or +70 district is challenging), but generally candidate recruitment and support is a great way to grow a movement.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Paracaidas posted:

The party with the presidency tends to lose state houses and governors mansions, especially in midterms. Unfortunately, 2010 fell along redistricting and from that point forward, Dems faced a doublewhammy of new suppression laws and gerrymandered districts, literally costing them state houses despite the popular vote in some cases. This is coupled with a concerted effort by dark money and conservative financiers to win state houses, against a Democratic party where many oppose similar financing. Certainly they could have done more and the losses reflect a failure on the part of DNC & OFA, but pretending that Dems decided not to give a gently caress about state and local races is ahistorical.

That is quite true as well, though most of the states that are subject to the cycle I mentioned are not heavily gerrymandered, but rather have been subject to a decades long history of 'brain drain' as people continue to move to larger cities for jobs. (Or the suburbs).

2010 and the Tea Party "wave" made it worse, of course, but most southern and Midwest states are still predominantly regressive and fighting hard against PoC population growth.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Paracaidas posted:

With 5,898 seats available, Dems ran 5,903 candidates to the GOP's 6,042. To be clear, 40% is not the percentage of seats Ds left unopposed.

yeah no poo poo, but also notice how much the percentage of unchallenged seats has gone up in just a few cycles

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

I don't see working class mentioned anywhere in there. So you put it in.

I didn't "put" anything in there; she's been very openly derisive of economic populism as a strategy for months:

https://twitter.com/TheDailyShow/status/902973802207862784

Again, listen to her Pod Save America appearance. She genuinely believes that the browning of America will save us all.

e: And even with your charitable reading of Reid's tweet, it still doesn't address the biggest problem with her viewpoint, ie: how the hell does that get you over 270 EV?

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 12, 2017

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Good to see you old friend. :unsmith:

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
What exactly goes in a USPOL thread that isn't already a heavy crossover with the Trump thread?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Jaxyon posted:

What exactly goes in a USPOL thread that isn't already a heavy crossover with the Trump thread?

heavy crossover with the dems thread, apparently

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Mr Hootington posted:

Good to see you old friend. :unsmith:

this but with goatse

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gerrymandering is a huge problem but it's not insurmountable

what should be more worrying is over 40% of state legislative races were unopposed last year

Voter suppressions a worse problem.

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Teddybear posted:

You really think this country is ready to elect a Muslim president in Ellison? I mean, I think we can do a lot, but I don't think that we're there yet.

Oh man, I can imagine the attack ads already. :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Jaxyon posted:

Everything in the Trump thread that isn't about Trump. There's plenty to go in both.

• Locked thread