Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

is there any rpg out there where traps contribute to rather than detract from the game

I'm curious because they're so ubiquitous and so consistently bad. even modernish crpgs have them turn up
Torchbearer usually treats traps as one of the fail states of a botched roll. Search some barrels -> fail the roll -> you find a *rolls* helmet but *checks encounter table, decides "skeleton patrol" has come up too much* you realise too late that one of the barrels is set to trigger a dart trap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Jeb Bush 2012 posted:

is there any rpg out there where traps contribute to rather than detract from the game

I'm curious because they're so ubiquitous and so consistently bad. even modernish crpgs have them turn up

I would also like to know the answer to this because people keep asking me to add traps to Strike! and I'm still unsure of how to do that well. As much as I love the answer "when someone rolls a twist on a roll, you can narrate that as a trap going off," I don't think that will be satisfying for the people who have been requesting traps.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Jimbozig posted:

I would also like to know the answer to this because people keep asking me to add traps to Strike! and I'm still unsure of how to do that well. As much as I love the answer "when someone rolls a twist on a roll, you can narrate that as a trap going off," I don't think that will be satisfying for the people who have been requesting traps.

This is literally the only way I can imagine it done well, tbh.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What about in combat traps? I liked them on games like FFTA2 so you could do stuff like setting them on the map. Meikyuu Kingdom had a good trap-layer class.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I like the idea of traps being a micro board game, like a sliding puzzle or mancala or something, but then you get into the issue of whether a player's real-world knowledge should impact the narrative, like if I'm really lovely at puzzles but I'm playing a tomb-trotting archaeologist who solves three sphinx riddles before breakfast every morning.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Splicer posted:

Torchbearer usually treats traps as one of the fail states of a botched roll. Search some barrels -> fail the roll -> you find a *rolls* helmet but *checks encounter table, decides "skeleton patrol" has come up too much* you realise too late that one of the barrels is set to trigger a dart trap

Split the difference, the helmet is on a skeleton who was hiding in the barrel, as skeletons are wont to do.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I would say Mouse Guard is a little too obtuse and abstract, but if you have a GM that knows it well they can probably simplify it well enough for kids. It's just not quite as straightforward as your usual "do a thing, roll some dice" RPG.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I would say Mouse Guard is a little too obtuse and abstract, but if you have a GM that knows it well they can probably simplify it well enough for kids. It's just not quite as straightforward as your usual "do a thing, roll some dice" RPG.

The Pip System (which powers explicitly kid-friendly games like Mermaid Adventures) is basically Mouse Guard without most of the ways to mess with a roll.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm sure there were and are people enjoying that kind of play, but it was never a majority. More often people essentially run AD&D as Basic with a race/class split and treating half the book as optional add-ons.

Gary lost touch with his fanbase very, very quickly. There's an anecdote about him taking a module to a convention and TPKing every single group he played with, because they assumed a mysterious portal in the dungeon must be a gateway to adventure and not a pointless instant death trap.

It wasn't even a mysterious portal, it was just a darkness spell in a door with a pit trap beyond. He was kind of expecting people to take any precautions at all, like tie themselves together or cast fly or something. But person after person just walked into the darkness and fell to their death.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Glazius posted:

It wasn't even a mysterious portal, it was just a darkness spell in a door with a pit trap beyond. He was kind of expecting people to take any precautions at all, like tie themselves together or cast fly or something. But person after person just walked into the darkness and fell to their death.

That's a dick move, especially for any one after the first - you'd have heard a scream and a crump, surely.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

fool_of_sound posted:

This is literally the only way I can imagine it done well, tbh.
The other way Torchbearer handles traps is... kind of good? Every time the players make a roll it advances time, which is bad (it eats up your light sources, advances you down the condition track etc). So if the players hit an hallway empty hallway and say "we search it for traps", that advances time. Just walking down the hallway does not (and if there is a trap you each get to roll to avoid it anyway). However, if you have an applicable instinct, like "I always poke every goddamned cobblestone I see", then you can roll for trap picking in every cobblestone area for free because you're weird like that. Same for "I listen at every door I open" or whatever. So if you, as a player, really want to player mastery your way around paving stone trap triggers you're either paying for it in food and torches or paying for it with character aspects.

I say "kind of good" because Torchbearer doesn't actually work like this, because it's a game about pixelbitching. So if you say "I tap every flagstone in the corridor" that counts as a "good idea" and doesn't actually take a roll or cost time. Except when it does. It's an infuriatingly vague and kind of contradictory part of the rules. Also rolling to avoid the trap you just triggered also eats time, on top of the consequences if you fail. But if this paragraph wasn't here it'd be really good.

Anyway the point of all this is traps are good when they introduce choices, specifically choosing between different character resources to expend. Traps are bad when one of the choices is "Everybody's patience".

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Sep 9, 2017

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Splicer posted:

What's weird to me is that wandering monster tables were a thing, so time pressure was a baked-in aspect of the game. Having a ticking timer which accelerated every time you looked hard seems like an obvious progression. Do you trust to the dice or do you take 10 and add a tick to the timer or do you take 20 and pretty much guarantee a patrol of skeletons to the face?

Yeah, but people have always loved to take a single aspect of the D&D, declare that it only appeals to that guy, you know the one, and remove it without thinking about how it affects anything else. Wandering monsters were often one of the earlier things removed when people start doing that, because they can be unfair bullshit and also they're a pain in the arse to DM. Tracking time/light/buffs/etc is complicated and boring, so that usually goes early too.

Nobody pixelbitches in an AD&D game where it takes a 10-minute turn to search a 10'x10' area while your buffs run out, your light runs out, and there's wandering monsters every 4-5 turns. If you do it in AD&D it's a shitload of bullshit book keeping that nobody wants to do so it gets removed. Remove the time pressure and change nothing else and of course everyone starts taking their time with everything.

e: Ignoring time tracking and then making every trap and trick super hidden and deadly is really dumb and bad, but I guess that's what usually happened.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 9, 2017

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

It's a piece ubiquitous fantasy artist Michael Whelan originally made for the cover of an Alan Dean Foster paperback. I assume it was commissioned by Del Rey/Random House.

The guy in the center is Whelan.

Ahhh, that makes sense, thanks! I know Palladium had repurposed unreleased fantasy art for Rifts, but I wasn't sure if SJ Games had done so for GURPS.

Glazius posted:

The Pip System (which powers explicitly kid-friendly games like Mermaid Adventures) is basically Mouse Guard without most of the ways to mess with a roll.

I don't know Pip, but I was just thinking about how Mouse Guard is designed explicitly around four players and has the whole thing where you huddle and work out your actions and then kind of present them as a group instead of just "take turns, declare stuff". And then you have stuff like GM Turns vs. Player Turns and the general meta-design that MG leans into. That's what I was thinking of.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Cease to Hope posted:

It's a piece ubiquitous fantasy artist Michael Whelan originally made for the cover of an Alan Dean Foster paperback. I assume it was commissioned by Del Rey/Random House.

The guy in the center is Whelan.

For context, the aliens in the story depicted had basically put humanity into house arrest for being too violent and dangerous. They had come back to Earth centuries later after another violent race popped up and they couldn't deal with them. However, humans had basically solved their warfare problem long ago and were very peaceful, greeting the aliens with ice cream.

I won't spoil the ending, but now you know why the aliens are eating ice cream at someone's dining room table.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Splicer posted:

The other way Torchbearer handles traps is... kind of good? Every time the players make a roll it advances time, which is bad (it eats up your light sources, advances you down the condition track etc). So if the players hit an hallway empty hallway and say "we search it for traps", that advances time. Just walking down the hallway does not (and if there is a trap you each get to roll to avoid it anyway). However, if you have an applicable instinct, like "I always poke every goddamned cobblestone I see", then you can roll for trap picking in every cobblestone area for free because you're weird like that. Same for "I listen at every door I open" or whatever. So if you, as a player, really want to player mastery your way around paving stone trap triggers you're either paying for it in food and torches or paying for it with character aspects.

I say "kind of good" because Torchbearer doesn't actually work like this, because it's a game about pixelbitching. So if you say "I tap every flagstone in the corridor" that counts as a "good idea" and doesn't actually take a roll or cost time. Except when it does. It's an infuriatingly vague and kind of contradictory part of the rules. Also rolling to avoid the trap you just triggered also eats time, on top of the consequences if you fail. But if this paragraph wasn't here it'd be really good.

It's up to the DM to decide if something is a good idea or not. "I poke all the cobblestones." doesn't sound like a good idea to me unless the fiction itself justifies that, like the characters finding a clue about the upcoming passage being trapped. That being said, you can always have "I check for traps when i lead the pack" as an instinct on a character and always be able to roll for free on trap checking as long as you're leading the party.

William Contraalto
Aug 23, 2017

by Smythe

hyphz posted:

The problem is that leads straight to the "action abstraction" arguments. If there's a pressure plate poking it with a stick should find it. Poking everywhere in front of me with a stick, hard, should preemptively find that. So if I roll low on Perception did my character not think to do that, although the player did?

I mean, the obvious dungeon-crawl solution is that rolling poorly means you take more time to accomplish the task, because time is one of the critical resources in classical dungeon crawls. This resolves that argument and also allows for meaningful choices- do you continue ahead without sweeping for traps? If you find traps, do you take the time to disarm them or eat up the damage (obviously this requires the players to be told what the damage range is for the traps they uncover!)? If you find treasures that aren't raw cash, do you take the time to appraise them, or do you risk hauling back fake gems and worthless paintings?

Of course, the reason time is a resource is because of stuff like wandering monsters and the difficulty of finding a safe place to bed down, which means keeping these threats of attrition.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I have a new blog post out on refactoring old-school D&D's attack matrices so that they're more in line with how people how actually used wargaming Combat Results Tables over the years.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I'm Hoping someone here can tell me where to look for something for paranoia . I think after my troubleshooters are forced to complete brain surgery I would like to have them try something easier, I've read a couple of stories about a house sitting mission, I think its in one of the official books does anyone know if that's the case and if so which book should I track down?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Anyway the point of all this is traps are good when they introduce choices, specifically choosing between different character resources to expend. Traps are bad when one of the choices is "Everybody's patience".

"what is a good idea" is kind of left up to the DM, so the extent to which obsessively tap-checking every flagstone is a good idea is the extent to which the DM wants it to be. So, probably not for very long, unless the DM is planning to have a bunch of giant bats jump everybody while they're all fearfully probing the dungeon floor.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shrieking Muppet posted:

I'm Hoping someone here can tell me where to look for something for paranoia . I think after my troubleshooters are forced to complete brain surgery I would like to have them try something easier, I've read a couple of stories about a house sitting mission, I think its in one of the official books does anyone know if that's the case and if so which book should I track down?
I'm not entirely familiar with that scenario but I wish you sincere luck in trying to track down the book it might be in. Mongoose pulled pretty much every legal PDF down after they announced the Kickstarter reboot and I will absolutely say do not buy the new edition at all. Your best bet, for real, would be to sit down and come up with a rough outline of the scenario yourself. You've got a good jumping-off point, and unfortunately in the past I've kind of been a little bit burned on the official missions, so whatever ideas you have might possibly be better than the official product recommendations.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Hostile V posted:

I'm not entirely familiar with that scenario but I wish you sincere luck in trying to track down the book it might be in. Mongoose pulled pretty much every legal PDF down after they announced the Kickstarter reboot and I will absolutely say do not buy the new edition at all. Your best bet, for real, would be to sit down and come up with a rough outline of the scenario yourself. You've got a good jumping-off point, and unfortunately in the past I've kind of been a little bit burned on the official missions, so whatever ideas you have might possibly be better than the official product recommendations.

I just buy used books off eBay, some of them are as cheap as $10

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Shrieking Muppet posted:

This was possibly the mission in White Dwarf 89, Do Troubleshooters Dream of Electric Sheep.

It's a hosejob like just about every Paranoia published adventure, but I like it. Don't forget to issue and emphasise the bulky, ridiculous open-on-scream-parachutes, and keep checking whether the PCs are wearing them for the entire adventure. Fake chekov's guns are great.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Yawgmoth posted:

You didn't press it hard enough, or in the right spot, or from the right angle, or whatever the gently caress. The problem is that having a million and one contingencies and SOPs and if-then statements ends up tacitly avoiding the whole "playing the game" element of playing the game. It wraps right back into the proper response from both sides being "have an at least semi-mature conversation like a group of adults about game expectations and enjoyable styles of play" rather than having the PCs running dungeon_crawl_tunnel.bat and the DM returning exception37.exe in some mutant tabletop recreation of Progress Quest.

I rage quit a session nick in high school where my intelligence got drained below the threshold for using psionics and the DM ruled the clerics in the temple we were in wouldn't restore it because I didn't use the right terminology. gently caress people like that

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

After an experience this weekend, I just want to find a good friend that lives nearby, and buy them a copy of my housekey and a squirt bottle. Then, I can give them instructions in the case that they hear I'm trying an Exalted game. They'll be directed in advance to rush over immediately and spray me with water, shouting, "NO! BAD!" If I inform them I just want to try some aspect of the combat system, they also have instructions as to where they can find the garden hose.

I feel like it's the only way I'll ever learn. :(

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Glazius posted:

Uh, no, wasn't that the Sphere of Annihilation in that doorway? Where you touch it and instantly die, no save? Tying a rope around yourself for that does nothing.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

After an experience this weekend, I just want to find a good friend that lives nearby, and buy them a copy of my housekey and a squirt bottle. Then, I can give them instructions in the case that they hear I'm trying an Exalted game. They'll be directed in advance to rush over immediately and spray me with water, shouting, "NO! BAD!" If I inform them I just want to try some aspect of the combat system, they also have instructions as to where they can find the garden hose.

Aside from how much homework making/upkeeping a character takes, Ex3 was pretty OK, though?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Blasphemeral posted:

Aside from how much homework making/upkeeping a character takes, Ex3 was pretty OK, though?

For a player, sure. For the ST, hooooly poo poo. Never have I done so much prep for a game, even for Ex1 / Ex2 - at least for those you have supplements to work from, and don't have to homebrew Every Goddamn Thing. I like Ex3 despite its warts, but the burden of prep is onerous in the extreme even for someone with a decade of running prior versions of the game under their belt.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Blasphemeral posted:

Natural language = unstated rules = heated rules arguments = bad time.

It's just dumb rules stuff so the details aren't interesting, it was just rather unpleasant.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
hey plutonis, i went to the PTU forums on a whim last night and saw that they intended on making a 2.0 rather than patching the existing game anymore, but that this was posted back in january and i didnt see any updates. do you have any Insider Knowledge on when thatd be

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Alien Rope Burn posted:

A little voice recognition gadget that shocks you if it hears the words "Exalted" and "Yes" too close together.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Countblanc posted:

hey plutonis, i went to the PTU forums on a whim last night and saw that they intended on making a 2.0 rather than patching the existing game anymore, but that this was posted back in january and i didnt see any updates. do you have any Insider Knowledge on when thatd be

I have an Alpha playtest for a game that is incoming, will hit you with it once I am at my PC.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Kestral posted:

For a player, sure. For the ST, hooooly poo poo. Never have I done so much prep for a game, even for Ex1 / Ex2 - at least for those you have supplements to work from, and don't have to homebrew Every Goddamn Thing. I like Ex3 despite its warts, but the burden of prep is onerous in the extreme even for someone with a decade of running prior versions of the game under their belt.

Oh yeah I felt loving miserable statting poo poo and GMing compared to playing for sure

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Blasphemeral posted:

Uh, no, wasn't that the Sphere of Annihilation in that doorway? Where you touch it and instantly die, no save? Tying a rope around yourself for that does nothing.

Nope, just regular darkness.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Ok, minor rant time.

Mr GM. I understand that you think Pathfinder should be played tactically and that the villains should try all they can to win.

But setting up a "climactic encounter" where the campaign villain just teleports away, to set up another "climactic encounter" next time, is just ridiculous. Basically, everything comes down to that Dimensional Anchor attack roll, and if it fails then whoopee, we have to play out a fight that might last the best part of a session to achieve nothing. Ditto if it gets dispelled later on, of course..

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hyphz posted:

Ok, minor rant time.

Mr GM. I understand that you think Pathfinder should be played tactically and that the villains should try all they can to win.

But setting up a "climactic encounter" where the campaign villain just teleports away, to set up another "climactic encounter" next time, is just ridiculous. Basically, everything comes down to that Dimensional Anchor attack roll, and if it fails then whoopee, we have to play out a fight that might last the best part of a session to achieve nothing. Ditto if it gets dispelled later on, of course..

Pathfinder has a much better system for this. Tell your GM to check out the Nemesis rules from Ultimate Intrigue.

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015
How are the Nemesis rules any different from " GM gives the villain an uninterruptable cut scene to introduce a complication, then the players can act"?

Also:

Arivia posted:

Pathfinder has a much better system for this.

is always a goddamn lie.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
If your table considers "uninterruptable cutscene that allows for an antagonist to persist rather than be nuked from orbit on the first encounter" to be genre-appropriate and something they're interested in having, there's no problem. It's still a game mechanic, just one that doesn't involve dice.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
If you eat the first villain for breakfast make the next one an upgraded henchmen who is far more successful and evil but still loves their former boss.
Like Toecutter from Mad Max after the Night Rider died

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

Kestral posted:

If your table considers "uninterruptable cutscene that allows for an antagonist to persist rather than be nuked from orbit on the first encounter" to be genre-appropriate and something they're interested in having, there's no problem. It's still a game mechanic, just one that doesn't involve dice.

The cut scene thing was how I read Paizo's Nemesis rules; hyphz's rant (I think?) is about needing to counter the villain's GM-crafted spell list and magic bullshit, or else the party is doomed to fight an endless and pointless amount of boss battles unless the counter is successful and doesn't get removed halfway through.

Am I close?

Dec 26, 2012

Cascade Jones posted:

How are the Nemesis rules any different from " GM gives the villain an uninterruptable cut scene to introduce a complication, then the players can act"?

Also:

is always a goddamn lie.

I mean, the system in question can be better without being good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cascade Jones
Jun 6, 2015

01011001 posted:

I mean, the system in question can be better without being good

Pathfinder set out to fix issues in 3.x while "maintaining compatibility"; this deluded Pathfinder players into believing 3.x was not only fixable, but fixable while never questioning or changing the core conceits of the game. Those conceits (caster supremacy; bonus inflation; rules bloat to cover any player actions) are quicksand to game design. It's impossible to build on top of them without having the entire structure sink further down into the muck.

So, no; it can't be better because there's no decent structure to build an improvement on. The best Pathfinder rules system is "lol play something else".

For some I know that's not an option; grieve for them.

• Locked thread