Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Zinkraptor posted:

My problem is that they're too focused on being "cute" and childlike. Let me be a weird goblin thing or at least a small old man.

I think they look like strange, oddly shaped toys. Weebles or some such thing. If they looked alive as the other races that would be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I just slayed all of them. Scared?

Wrong, idiot, you merely think you did because we have the only good version of /playdead

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well I mean there probably won't be primals in the Garlemeld based expansion since that's mostly an Eorzean thing since the empire wiped out the beast tribes of its region so SOMEONE has to pilot/possess all the Emerald/Ruby/Sapphire WEAPON knock-offs we'll be fighting instead of primals.

Emerald Weapon doing a flamboyant mad scientist monologue while in the process of wrecking your poo poo would be pretty great. It's also a way to bring Nero along for the next expansion because he would NOT stand for that (unless he got to design and pilot the weapons himself).

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Ainsley McTree posted:

My retainers are all full of glamour gear that I'm totally 100% going to need some day and therefore can never sell, so I just keep my mats in my inventory and waste money by selling them, and then rebuying them when I inevitably need them again

:same:

I have too many swords, but not enough swords. I do not yet own all the swords.

I now have PLD and RDM at 70 after grinding RDM all weekend. I'm thinking of getting a healer up next but I haven't touched any of the classes since mid HW. I have WHM at 58, AST in the mid 30's somewhere and I haven't bothered to unlock SCH yet, but I do have ACN at level 30.

Where do the three healers stand right about now and what do people enjoy playing? I took WHM through ARR and most of HW before switching to PLD, which I've mained ever since but I'd be willing to get into either of the other two more. For people who main healers, what draws you to your particular choice?

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Is there anything that can kill your enjoyment of the game faster than trying to get a mount from a primal?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

comingafteryouall posted:

Is there anything that can kill your enjoyment of the game faster than trying to get a mount from a primal?
You're asking this during the yokai watch event

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

You're asking this during the yokai watch event

True, but at least you can level a lowbie job while doing it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thundarr posted:

Emerald Weapon doing a flamboyant mad scientist monologue while in the process of wrecking your poo poo would be pretty great. It's also a way to bring Nero along for the next expansion because he would NOT stand for that (unless he got to design and pilot the weapons himself).

They don't even have to mecha-ize them like they did Ultima weapon. Garlemeld under that scientist nerd got real into creepy bio-tech poo poo with the wheelers and things. you could just have the FF7 weapons just as is.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Depends on how you go about it. If you have a pre formed party of competent people in voice chat who can repeatedly one shot the primal while outrageously drunk it's a pretty ok way to spend an afternoon. If you're trying to do it in PF then my condolences.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Leofish posted:

Where do the three healers stand right about now and what do people enjoy playing? I took WHM through ARR and most of HW before switching to PLD, which I've mained ever since but I'd be willing to get into either of the other two more. For people who main healers, what draws you to your particular choice?

Not my main, but I like WHM cause I can cast regen and medica 2 and then not care about anything except casting stone for the next minute or so. Also Holy and Assize are the best aoe's in the game.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Leofish posted:

:same:

I have too many swords, but not enough swords. I do not yet own all the swords.

I now have PLD and RDM at 70 after grinding RDM all weekend. I'm thinking of getting a healer up next but I haven't touched any of the classes since mid HW. I have WHM at 58, AST in the mid 30's somewhere and I haven't bothered to unlock SCH yet, but I do have ACN at level 30.

all three are good

aethestic wise i like astro most, but whitemage feels the best to play for me; the meaty heals feel meaty and you can really tell when you're doing it right. assize is fantastic in every scenario just about and holy makes exdr a breeze, crit tetras and cure 3s make the idiot portion of my brain that loves big numbers feel good

scholars, i'm not a fan of their big buttons, it just doesn't feel good, not sure how else i can explain it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Any of the materials you can get with Verity worth anything? I already have a set of Slay and Maim gear for my alt jobs, so I ran out of things to get to keep myself from constantly maxing it out.

Jimbot fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 12, 2017

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Just finished Nidhogg quest.

God that music is so loving good.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Getting 98 clears of a primal that gives out tokens only for the mount to drop in your 99th go and everyone says "I already have it" so it goes to complete and hilarious waste. Not that I know anyone that's happened to.

Jimbot posted:

Any of the materials you can get with Verity worth anything? I already have a set of Slay and Maim gear for my alt jobs, so I ran out of things to get to keep myself from constantly maxing it out.

I don't know what the next sink will be, but I wish it would get here already. I have no clue what to do with the overflowing Verity.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

EponymousMrYar posted:

I have never changed my hair. I still have my two free Jendelaine tokens.

I have two fantasia's sitting in my retainer.

I have four retainer fantasia's sitting in her too.

I get my stuff right the first time :colbert: (also the Samsonian locks looks dumb on my character)

Lalafell with a pompadour is the best character in FFXIV, sorry everyone else.
Almost the same as the first, complete agreement on the second. I only ever changed my hair once and that was to switch to a Pompadour when it became available. Now I am perfect.

I do sometimes wish I could swap and try out a Highlander Female since they're so pretty, but I cannot give up my perfection and I have a lore-appropriate Male Lalafell name so I'd have to change my name at the same time which I refuse to pay for.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

I pretty much only have primal mounts from primals I enjoyed enough to grind just for the sake of playing them a lot. Many of them are real fun to do imo.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

SonicRulez posted:

Getting 98 clears of a primal that gives out tokens only for the mount to drop in your 99th go and everyone says "I already have it" so it goes to complete and hilarious waste. Not that I know anyone that's happened to.

I don't know what the next sink will be, but I wish it would get here already. I have no clue what to do with the overflowing Verity.

That's not a waste at all though. Instead of wasting all those tokens on the mount you can get 40k+ company seals for anything you might need them for.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Eopia posted:

That's not a waste at all though. Instead of wasting all those tokens on the mount you can get 40k+ company seals for anything you might need them for.

d e s y n t h e s i s

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Almost the same as the first, complete agreement on the second. I only ever changed my hair once and that was to switch to a Pompadour when it became available. Now I am perfect.

I do sometimes wish I could swap and try out a Highlander Female since they're so pretty, but I cannot give up my perfection and I have a lore-appropriate Male Lalafell name so I'd have to change my name at the same time which I refuse to pay for.

So many red flags on a single player character. Redflaga Flaga.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Awesome, I hit 60 on DRK last night, and finished the all important process of getting Augmented Shire gear and glamouring it just before the servers died. Finally, I can start gathering my crack rocks in earnest instead of hoping that the game will decide it needs healers. Maybe it's just my aesthetic taste, but to me tank gear looks a lot nicer on the taller races.

someone find me a wing-a-ling helmet so I can pretend to be Lenneth

As an added bonus, a couple of goons got me my first clear of Omega Normal! I even managed to stay alive through Exdeath as an RDM, although I can't imagine my DPS was world-beating.

I do have quite a few questions on DRK though. Should I be using Unmend/Unleash as my main pull/aggro generator still, or should I just spam Abyssal Drain? Second, what's the priority on Dark Arts? I'm guessing that you definitely want to DA Carve and Spit, and beyond that, I've mostly been using it to either get some extra aggro from Power Slash at the start of a pull, or to give Souleater some extra damage. Anything else that I should be using my Dark Arts on?

at some point i'll have to dig you back out, MCH

Leofish posted:

AST is probably my most played class, and it's very good at the moment. Compared to the other two healers, you obviously have a ton of extra utility with your cards. Most of the time you'll just be using them to increase damage directly (Balance) or indirectly (Spear, Arrow), but a well-timed Bole (damage reduction) or Ewer (MP regen) can save runs. Celestial Opposition and Time Dilation will let you extend the effects of cards, which is even better! While you can't switch between them in combat, you do have the option of being a regen-focused healer in Diurnal Sect or a shield-focused healer in Nocturnal Sect, which means you can complement an SCH or a WHM (or even a second AST, though this is suboptimal since cards overwrite each other) easily in 8 mans.

AST doesn't have quite the damage options or output of the other two healers. You have Combust, which is a DOT with an awesome tooltip, Malefic, which is a single-target attack, and at level 52, Gravity for AOE. All of these have numbers that are a bit weaker than their equivalent spells on WHM, and you don't get their second DOT or the stun on Holy either. There's also the damage component of Earthly Star (think Assize), and Minor Arcana, which lets you burn an unwanted card and gives you either a single target nuke or a single target heal.

AST's healing abilties line up well with the other two classes. As noted, you have the option to switch between sects when out of combat. Both sects reduce emnity generation a bit and IIRC increase MP regen a bit as well, but the big thing is that they change what your Aspected Benefic (single target) and Aspected Helios(multi-target) abilities do. Diurnal adds a regen effect to them, and Nocturnal adds a shield effect to them. AST's shields are a bit stronger than SCHs, and the regens are roughly equivalent to WHMs: they have slightly lower potency but can be extended with Time Dilation/Celestial Opposition.

The downside is that AST doesn't have many off-GCD heals. Essential Dignity is your off-GCD single target heal, and lacks the potency of Lustrate or Benediction, and can only be used every 40 seconds. Earthly Star is your second off-GCD heal, but it's not instant: you cast it, place it where you want, and then detonate it within the next 20 seconds for an Assize-like heal+damage cloud. Your other option is the Lady of Crowns side of Minor Arcana, but that's stacking RNG on top of RNG so it's hardly something to rely on. However, a lot of this is offset by the Lightspeed ability, which makes almost every ability cast instantly for ~8 seconds. You still have to wait for the global cooldown, but this makes it a breeze to cast while moving.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Sep 12, 2017

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Josuke Higashikata posted:

So many red flags on a single player character. Redflaga Flaga.

Excuse you that is the Female Plainsfolk naming structure. >:[ Or as close as you can get with English anyway.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I do have quite a few questions on DRK though. Should I be using Unmend/Unleash as my main pull/aggro generator still, or should I just spam Abyssal Drain? Second, what's the priority on Dark Arts? I'm guessing that you definitely want to DA Carve and Spit, and beyond that, I've mostly been using it to either get some extra aggro from Power Slash at the start of a pull, or to give Souleater some extra damage. Anything else that I should be using my Dark Arts on?

at some point i'll have to dig you back out, MCH

All 3 of your primary threat generators are useful: unmend is the most efficient when pulling single targets. Great at the start of a pull before you're in engage distance for free aggro. Unleash is pretty cheap and has a wide aoe for picking up scattered adds. Abbysal Drain is your primary AOE damage ability with good enmity gen as a bonus - you can also DA Abyssal Drain for healing, which can be very useful in very big pulls to up your survivability. If you start running low on MP, remember that Carve and Spit gives MP when non-DA, and this can be more useful than a single target DA in a big pull.

DA Priority for single target at your level is essentially: Carve and Spit > Any one of Syphon Strike or Souleater. DA adds 140 potency to both abilities so it doesn't matter which you boost. Generally, MP in the tank is MP wasted so blow it all you want to boost dps, holding just enough to Carve and Spit if it's coming off cooldown or maybe do a quick unmend if you need to pick up an add.

Dark Arts Power Slash is usually a waste. Regular PS is plenty of enmity in grit, and the only time you even need to use your PS combo is if you plan to drop grit for the rest of the fight so you want a big lump of enmity at the beginning to use as savings.

Other than that try not to let your OGCDs sit too long.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

My retainers are all full of glamour gear that I'm totally 100% going to need some day and therefore can never sell, so I just keep my mats in my inventory and waste money by selling them, and then rebuying them when I inevitably need them again

All eight of them?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Servers are up.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It took almost 80 clears of Zurvan for my static to get all 8 birds.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Leofish posted:

White mage for animations. Scholar for the flexibility in choices.

I like scholar the most of the two simply because of its ogcd options.

Rascyc fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Sep 12, 2017

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I enjoy white mage because it's the easiest to heal with and I never feel like I'm in danger of the fight spinning out of control and resulting in a wipe. If poo poo hits the fan and people start eating loads of damage, you can just bone down hard and spam cure 2/medica (and your ogcds of course) until the threat has passed. And you don't really have mana issues, compared to the other healers.

With sch I feel like you can gently caress up and get caught with your pants down, where your party is close to death, you're out of aetherflow stacks, and your gcd heals aren't cutting it. AST is a close second to whm, but it can actually run out of MP sometimes, and earthly star is harder to use well than assize, in my opinion.

The new broil animation is probably the coolest looking healer dps spell though

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

The new broil animation is probably the coolest looking healer dps spell though

I like Stone 4 and its unique casting animation. It's got so much meat behind it, especially after the sparkle and cloud spam the other healers get.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I like Stone 4 and its unique casting animation. It's got so much meat behind it, especially after the sparkle and cloud spam the other healers get.

I really don't like malefic III at all :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

Malefic II looks so much better than Malefic III.

I really wish you could choose attack animations for spells as a glam option or something.

Broil overall just has the best looking healer attack spells in both versions. I like Stone/Stone II but Stone III/Stone IV feel cruddy to me. Malefic and Malefic II are great, Malefic III is eeeh.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
On a whim I grabbed Leatherworker and found that I can make clothing with gathering and crafting bonuses.

I'm going to wind up taking all the crafting classes, aren't I?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you want to do high level crafting you have to level all the crafting classes for cross class skills.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sarrisan posted:

Dark Arts Power Slash is usually a waste. Regular PS is plenty of enmity in grit, and the only time you even need to use your PS combo is if you plan to drop grit for the rest of the fight so you want a big lump of enmity at the beginning to use as savings.

In other words if you only play DRK in exdr always open with DA power slash on bosses and drop grit?

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Dick Trauma posted:

On a whim I grabbed Leatherworker and found that I can make clothing with gathering and crafting bonuses.

It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

hobbesmaster posted:

In other words if you only play DRK in exdr always open with DA power slash on bosses and drop grit?

Basically yeah. Unmend + da power slash is generally enough to secure an aggro lead for the fight. If not, somethings gone wrong.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Renegret posted:

It's kind of an all or nothing deal.

It's also completely optional which is why I've just started going down that rabbit hole now despite being subbed since mid 2.x

And to think, this all started because I wanted the moonlift dance.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

Same. Mal 2 Looks like it has some impact involved. 3 is just a disco ball floating above them. The sound effects don't really do it for me either.

I liked Stone 2 better than Stone 3 for similar reasons.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Renegret posted:

It's also completely optional which is why I've just started going down that rabbit hole now despite being subbed since mid 2.x

And to think, this all started because I wanted the moonlift dance.

:same: but for sunglasses.

And then I realized I needed one of the bitchiest materials to find. :negative:

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Same. Mal 2 Looks like it has some impact involved. 3 is just a disco ball floating above them. The sound effects don't really do it for me either.

I liked Stone 2 better than Stone 3 for similar reasons.

Stone 4 is like...too much stone for me. I really wish I enjoyed healing as sch because broil 2 is my poo poo, but I just don't :(.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Welcome to Hell.