Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Any vtwin sport bike will feel super narrow. There is no more narrow bike than a supermoto. However, they sometimes are uncomfortable because of how narrow they are. Depends on how much rear end meat you've got I suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cycle Asylum: What's your rear end meat switch, bro?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The Hawk GT is very narrow (the tank is basically straight-sided and only as wide as the seat, like an old UJM), but in order to get a reasonable amount of gas, the tank is also quite long and turns into a real nutbuster if you aren't wearing tight pants.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Any vtwin sport bike will feel super narrow. There is no more narrow bike than a supermoto. However, they sometimes are uncomfortable because of how narrow they are. Depends on how much rear end meat you've got I suppose

Rc51 and tl1000r are real porkers.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slavvy posted:

Rc51 and tl1000r are real porkers.

anytime anyone says rc51 this is all i can think of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THOO0Z-gfQI

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
On v-twin sport bikes: I am talking to a guy tomorrow about a Ulysses-for-Futura horse trade.

I don't need more power and I think fairings are cheating, but those gauges.

I've solved my bag of problems and I guess I'm all about new bags of problems.

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 12, 2017

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Those gauges are absolutely perfect.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

On v-twin sport bikes: I am talking to a guy tomorrow about a Ulysses-for-Futura horse trade.

It makes sense that you should want to move from a bike with dwindling parts availability to a bike with negative parts availability.

And I mean genuinely negative. Parts will start disappearing off it, teleporting back to Noale and disintegrating back to their raw ingredients.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

clutchpuck posted:

Futuras are the best. Pity about that rear wheel bearing but they're still the best.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Only "touring" bike I've ever sat on that had a ridiculously comfortable factory seat

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Z3n posted:

Futuras are the best. Pity about that rear wheel bearing but they're still the best.

i have never heard of these before and now I really want one. not more than a yellow vfr though

Revvik
Jul 29, 2006
Fun Shoe

A MIRACLE posted:

i have never heard of these before and now I really want one. not more than a yellow vfr though

They're inexpensive and since maintenance parts for them are gone just buy a new one every so often!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
No poo poo, the king bearing alone is worth like 1/3-1/4 another Futura... if you could find one. Either one - the bearing or another Futura.

Stuff like that doesn't worry me. What worries me is when Craigslist knucklehead shows up in not-the-Futura and explains that he can't get it started and wonders if I'm still interested.

The Uly is still awesome so I'm happy to keep riding it.

That bearing though, who puts a mag pickup for the speedo *IN* the bearing? This is beyond Erik-level lunacy.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

clutchpuck posted:

No poo poo, the king bearing alone is worth like 1/3-1/4 another Futura... if you could find one. Either one - the bearing or another Futura.

Stuff like that doesn't worry me. What worries me is when Craigslist knucklehead shows up in not-the-Futura and explains that he can't get it started and wonders if I'm still interested.

The Uly is still awesome so I'm happy to keep riding it.

That bearing though, who puts a mag pickup for the speedo *IN* the bearing? This is beyond Erik-level lunacy.

I feel like I'm missing something. Why wouldn't you just replace the bearing with a regular one and then not have a speedo/use your GPS?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

"regular"

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Slavvy posted:

"regular"

wut

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Slavvy posted:

"regular"

#2 is like $800bux

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Any reason not to look at a 2009 Multstrada to replace my fallen Bandit?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As long as you understand that italians gonna italian, no particular reason. Don't expect it to be an indestructible rocket tractor though.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Chris Knight posted:

Any reason not to look at a 2009 Multstrada to replace my fallen Bandit?

Any time you switch from a japanese bike to a european bike all your maintenance and random bits cost like eleven times as much.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

builds character posted:

Any time you switch from a japanese bike to a european bike all your maintenance and random bits cost like eleven times as much.

This is true. Also, farkling it out will cost significantly more.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

and yet I still want an Aprilia Shiver.

and a Japanese bike for when the Aprilia comes down with a case of being Italian.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/how-to-buy-your-first-motorcycle

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I liked it, and the final line bears repeating:

I can promise you this: you will never look back on your riding career and say, “Man, I didn't buy nearly enough first bike.”

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah but what you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation?

Is that this sub-forums version "it wouldnt have happened if she/they had a gun?"

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Fauxtool posted:

yeah but what you need to accelerate out of a dangerous situation?

Is that this sub-forums version "it wouldnt have happened if she/they had a gun?"

Whatever a Mustang GT can do should be the benchmark. For safety.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
At least enough engine to spin its tires and crash into a curb. About 50cc should be plenty.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Carth Dookie posted:

and yet I still want an Aprilia Shiver.

and a Japanese bike for when the Aprilia comes down with a case of being Italian.

7 years of daily commuting, only extended time off the road (4 days) was when a Bosch component on it failed.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

7 years of daily commuting, only extended time off the road (4 days) was when a Bosch component on it failed.

Yeah they're meant to be really reliable since it's a rather old design. Might not be so true for the latest version with a bunch of new electronics...

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Shutupshutupshutup. Shuuuut uuuup. I can't be buying bikes right now. :smith:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Barnsy posted:

Yeah they're meant to be really reliable since it's a rather old design. Might not be so true for the latest version with a bunch of new electronics...

The only new electronics on the 900 are the traction control, which is COTS (and been used for several years on the Caponord), and the rather sexy new TFT dash. The motor is theoretically new but it's mostly parts of the old 750 and 1200 engines.

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.
Thinking of trading my Triumph Tiger 800 XRT in on a BMW R1200GS

Is this a good idea, or am I being mental?

Also, the dealership has a used S1000XR for the same money as the used R1200 I'm peeping... I'm pretty sure that's basically suicidal, but I'll take it for a test drive anyway

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

S1000XR is really nothing like your tiger. R1200 is just like your tiger except german and 'more' in every direction so whether that's a good thing or not depends on you and your rear end.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I don't know how or if this should factor into your decision, but resale on anything not GS* or RT in the BMW line is complete poo poo for whatever reason right now, which is unfair because the K/S/etc. bikes are pretty rad. You can get newer bikes in those lines for the same money as older GSes

primitive
Mar 14, 2001

I AM A CHEAPSKATE WHO HAS HAD THE STUPID NEWBIE BABY AVATAR FOR 12 YEARS.

Slavvy posted:

S1000XR is really nothing like your tiger. R1200 is just like your tiger except german and 'more' in every direction so whether that's a good thing or not depends on you and your rear end.

Yea this is what I needed to hear, I'll never take the Tiger offroad but I like the ergos and the riding position, which is why I was thinking about the S1000XR

Also because I can get one certified used with 1,000 miles for the same price as a GS with 10,000 miles... resale value is a strange thing.

I don't know anything about the K bikes... How would you describe them?

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the touriest sport tourer. I spent a day on one.
Really comfortable with plenty high handlebars. Way more power than you can reasonably use. I cant speak for the long term ownership of maintenance

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 16, 2017

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
K bikes make 140mph feel like a reasonable 85.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

As long as you understand that italians gonna italian, no particular reason. Don't expect it to be an indestructible rocket tractor though.

builds character posted:

Yeah true. I don't have a garage and only have street parking, so I figure I'll actually stick to tractors for now.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

primitive posted:

Yea this is what I needed to hear, I'll never take the Tiger offroad but I like the ergos and the riding position, which is why I was thinking about the S1000XR

Also because I can get one certified used with 1,000 miles for the same price as a GS with 10,000 miles... resale value is a strange thing.

I don't know anything about the K bikes... How would you describe them?

Definitely give the XR a try. Mine has been fantastic, still makes my heart race every time I ride it.

Its true about resale though. Something about BMW having so many unsold 2016 models that they didn't bother importing the 2017. But thats your advantage.

I think in reality it was bmw dumping unsold non euro 4 compliant stuff here in the USA but thats just me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

clutchpuck posted:

K bikes make 140mph feel like a reasonable 85.

In an ideal world, BMW would have actually tried to compete with Kawasaki and Suzuki in the same space their 1300 was in. I really wanted one for a long time, but from the first year for the model to the day of its discontinuance, they never improved on much of anything to do with performance other than design flaws. The drat bike won't outrun a 2002 Blackbird 1100xx. BMW had wonderful 1600 engine ready to drop in the K that would have been a total WOW for the hyperbike world, I think it would have been a no brainier to tune the 1600 to 200hp with gobs of torque. Instead, they held this tagline through the duration of the model:

A bike that develops such pulling power with 175 hp that it take the heat out of many a 200 hp bike?

Busa rider - Is that a K1300 in the rearview?
ZX-14 rider - Oh poo poo it is... My heats meter is dropping!
Busa rider - I'm loosing heats too! WTF?

Yeah, gently caress you BMW, your bikes are like your cars - nice, pretty, lots of buttans, but always miss the mark on performance. Besides, you can find a GII ZX14 and Busa right now for $3 to 5K cheaper everywhere, have more stock HP than the K with bolt-ons, and forgo the hand-heaters. Ugh.