Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Waiting to see what that Multiplayer Action 3DS Kirby game is, personally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Anyone predicting the new pokemon to...I dunno, run better?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Shinjobi posted:

Anyone predicting the new pokemon to...I dunno, run better?

Considering how Sun/Moon ran vs. X/Y, a big "hell no"

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Nintendo dropped me a birthday discount on my 3DS but I dunno what to get. My options are:

Hyrule Warriors Legends
Bravely Default (which I already have)
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Smash 4
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3DLand

I'm leaning either Smash 4 or 3DLand, maybe Super Mystery Dungeon? The last pokemon game I played bored the heck out of me but this is a weird spinoff.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The games are New 3DS aware, load times are slightly less and it doesn't reboot closing the game. Hopefully they had some time to optimize it.

Speaking of Pokemon: if you haven't been watching the thread, the 20th movie is out in theaters on November 5th and 6th (Sunday 12:55PM and Monday 7PM local time.) There will be a serial code given for a special Pikachu in Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon.

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/pokemon-the-movie

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Lord Lambeth posted:

I'm leaning either Smash 4 or 3DLand, maybe Super Mystery Dungeon? The last pokemon game I played bored the heck out of me but this is a weird spinoff.

it depends, do you like hardcore roguelites? because super mystery dungeon is a roguelite where everything, including you, dies in like three hits. it's not a game for the faint of heart or players who are unfamiliar with the series, and it's the most unforgiving one released to date.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Lord Lambeth posted:

Nintendo dropped me a birthday discount on my 3DS but I dunno what to get. My options are:

Hyrule Warriors Legends
Bravely Default (which I already have)
Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon
Smash 4
Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam
Mario Kart 7
Super Mario 3DLand

3d land is probably the only game out of those i'd bother playing, though i have a wii u and have access to hyrule warriors and mario kart 8

3d world is kind of a better 3d land but i'd argue there's enough different stuff going on in there it's worth looking at

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

3d land is probably the only game out of those i'd bother playing, though i have a wii u and have access to hyrule warriors and mario kart 8

3d world is kind of a better 3d land but i'd argue there's enough different stuff going on in there it's worth looking at

Yeah I've played all the Wii U equivalents to the games up there so the only ones I'd be going in blind to would be paper jam and mystery dungeon.

The White Dragon posted:

it depends, do you like hardcore roguelites? because super mystery dungeon is a roguelite where everything, including you, dies in like three hits. it's not a game for the faint of heart or players who are unfamiliar with the series, and it's the most unforgiving one released to date.

I do like Roguelites but I'm really bad at them. So maybe not.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
My Amazon Prime preorder of Samus Returns isn't arriving until Tuesday it appears. I've been used to release-day arrivals of Switch games. Did I get unlucky or is it the same for everyone who preordered from Amazon?

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Over the last few years, every release-day game I've preordered from Amazon has arrived a day or two later, worse if there's a weekend involved. Had nothing but good results from GameStop. But I have definitely heard from folks with the reverse experience

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

For whatever reason Amazon is consistently poo poo for me when it comes to Nintendo games, but fine for everything else.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

ExcessBLarg! posted:

My Amazon Prime preorder of Samus Returns isn't arriving until Tuesday it appears. I've been used to release-day arrivals of Switch games. Did I get unlucky or is it the same for everyone who preordered from Amazon?

I put my preorder in on Saturday and my delivery date was next Tuesday as well. I asked customer support about it and the best they could do was bump it up to a Monday delivery.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looking for a couple of games to burn up my $46.01 eshop credit on 3DS. Willing to add an extra $5 or whatever to get max value out of this thing.

Difficulty:

No Mario (played them all, or they all blur together)
No Pokemon (sorry)
No RPGs (working on Bravely Default, already have a list here)
No Zelda (played them all, or currently playing)
No Kid Icarus (already played)
No Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Shovel knight (already have)

Nintendo:
New Metroid coming out?
Any Metroids worth buying besides Super Metroid, Metroid Zero (beat them)
Which Kirby (pick one)
Can my girlfriend and I play 2 player Mario Golf on one handset?
Picross 3D Round 2 looks like a solid choice.
Pilotwings Resort?

Turn based:
Steam World Heist?
Advanced Wars, Tiny Metal?
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars?

Other poo poo:
Sudoku
Clubhouse Games (played the poo poo out of this on DS)
Programming Simulators (SpaceChem?)
I've never played a Monster Hunter game, they're RPGs right?
Rouge-y stealth platformer games like Mark of the Ninja?

Also: About to head out to Asia for about 2 months, my device is a North American one, is that going to cause any issues with carts, eshop purchases etc.

If I can get 2, 3 good games, rather than one really great game for my $46.01, that would be awesome

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
New metroid on Friday!

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

There is in fact a new metroid coming out.

Steamworld heist and Picross 3D round 2 are both awesome. Can't go wrong with either of them.

I'll also bring up pocket card jockey, which is loving great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

New metroid on Friday!

Yes but is it supposed to be any good? Better than 2-3 other games? I want to get at least 10-15 hours play time out of whatever I spend my $46.01 on. New Super Mario Brothers 2 was a huge disappointment, and the Metroid platformers seem to vary widely in quality.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hadlock posted:

Looking for a couple of games to burn up my $46.01 eshop credit on 3DS. Willing to add an extra $5 or whatever to get max value out of this thing.

Difficulty:

No Mario (played them all, or they all blur together)
No Pokemon (sorry)
No RPGs (working on Bravely Default, already have a list here)
No Zelda (played them all, or currently playing)
No Kid Icarus (already played)
No Animal Crossing, Mario Kart, Shovel knight (already have)

Nintendo:
New Metroid coming out?
Any Metroids worth buying besides Super Metroid, Metroid Zero (beat them)
Which Kirby (pick one)
Can my girlfriend and I play 2 player Mario Golf on one handset?
Picross 3D Round 2 looks like a solid choice.
Pilotwings Resort?

Turn based:
Steam World Heist?
Advanced Wars, Tiny Metal?
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars?

Other poo poo:
Sudoku
Clubhouse Games (played the poo poo out of this on DS)
Programming Simulators (SpaceChem?)
I've never played a Monster Hunter game, they're RPGs right?
Rouge-y stealth platformer games like Mark of the Ninja?

Also: About to head out to Asia for about 2 months, my device is a North American one, is that going to cause any issues with carts, eshop purchases etc.

If I can get 2, 3 good games, rather than one really great game for my $46.01, that would be awesome

Monster Hunter are ARPGs. You don't level up your character but you kill monsters, skin them and use their body parts to make new gear so you can kill bigger and tougher monsters. Plays like a slower, more deliberate Dark Souls if you've played them. I'd recommend either 4U or Generations if you're getting one.

Kirby Robobot or Triple Deluxe are both excellent and you can't go wrong with either.

Pilotwings is okay I guess, but mostly seems like a short tech demo of the new system.

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is a really solid and fun platformer if you haven't played the original or Tropical Freeze.

Fire Emblem: Awakening is a great intro to the series if you're looking for a turn-based SRPG. Shadow Wars is similarly fun if much shorter and shallower.

Smash Bros is always good, especially if you don't have it on WiiU.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
It's a remake of Metroid II

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Metroid is good, the new one looks like it will be good.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hadlock posted:

Yes but is it supposed to be any good? Better than 2-3 other games? I want to get at least 10-15 hours play time out of whatever I spend my $46.01 on. New Super Mario Brothers 2 was a huge disappointment, and the Metroid platformers seem to vary widely in quality.

Literally no Metroid platformer is going to give you 10-15 hours. They're not designed for that even on a first playthrough.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Zore posted:

Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D is a really solid and fun platformer if you haven't played the original or Tropical Freeze.

I only got this recently, but I've been really enjoying it. And if you're bad at platformers, the 3DS version has a new slightly easier mode I think.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

ImpAtom posted:

Literally no Metroid platformer is going to give you 10-15 hours. They're not designed for that even on a first playthrough.

What? Super Metroid takes at least that long

Edit actually time to beat has it at 8 hours so maybe I just gently caress around too much in Metroid games

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

get Cursed Castilla, it's like $12 and i have 16 hours in it and i'm still going but also i'm the kind of guy who is playing it over and over trying to go after "the perfect run"

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Super Metroid is like a 5-6 hour game at best. It's also amazing, but let's not beat around the bush wrt its length.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I heard reviewers say Samus Returns was about 12 hours long the first time through but reviewers are bad at video games so idk

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Pocket Card Jockey and Etrian Odyssey IV are must plays and great ways to spend a lot of time having a lot of fun

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Augus posted:

I heard reviewers say Samus Returns was about 12 hours long the first time through but reviewers are bad at video games so idk

The original version was, mainly because you didn't have a map and there was one section of the game where you'd just get hopelessly lost.

gently caress YOU SMALL PLATFORM SECTION WITH YOUR CREEPY MINIMALIST MUSIC

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Sep 12, 2017

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
overall though it's getting glowing reviews

good for the devs, I honestly wasn't sure whether they were competent enough to crank out a serviceable remake but reviewers seem to really dig it

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Spoderman posted:

Pocket Card Jockey and Etrian Odyssey IV are must plays and great ways to spend a lot of time having a lot of fun

PCJ @ $6.99 looks like a slam dunk purchase

I probably spent 15 hours playing Super Metroid because I was 11 when I played it and the only platformers I'd played before that were SM1,2,3 and SMW. I think when Quake Done Quick (QDQ) and Machinima became a thing we found out that you could speed run it in under an hour.

Triple Deluxe @ $19.99 looks solid, can't justify $40 for the robot one.

Is there a Monster Hunter for under $25? Seems interesting, big engrossing story/world but not sure if I'll like it.

With PCJ and K:TD I have $19.03 left

What was the name of that crazy retro RPG that nobody reviewed and then it turned out it had a great story?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Is there a Monster Hunter for under $25? Seems interesting, big engrossing story/world but not sure if I'll like it.

Do not play monster hunter for the story/setting.

BovineFury
Oct 28, 2007
I moo for great justice!
With all this talk about Metroid and Amazon preorders, I looked at when mine is supposed to be delivered.

Ordered Sep 8
Expected to ship Sep 15
Arriving Sep 20 - Sep 22

Curse you Amazon! :arghfist:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Hadlock posted:

and the Metroid platformers seem to vary widely in quality.
The 2D Metroids have been pretty consistent in quality. It's been 13 years since the last one came out, though.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Andrast posted:

Do not play monster hunter for the story/setting.

Alternatively, do because the writing and humor is super charming.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Mierenneuker posted:

The original version was, mainly because you didn't have a map and there was one section of the game where you'd just get hopelessly lost.
So not only is there not a map, but the map geometry is non-Euclidean. In exchange the game itself has fairly linear progression. I recall my first playthrough when it came out was just about 10 hours, but if you know where you're going the game can easily be beat in 1.5.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

Alternatively, do because the writing and humor is super charming.

:yeah:

There's very little actual story in the games, but there's a ton of writing and characters and everything is extremely charming. Also there's a ridiculous amount of cat puns.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Monster Hunter is not good at plot, but it is extremely good at setting/ecology, it's bizarrely immersive for a game about hitting dragon wizards on the head with a jet hammer while your two pet cats distract it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Wait is monster Hunter just a thinly veiled cat RPG? Based on pictures it looked like it was Skyrim-esque

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Monster Hunter is closer to Dark Souls but only boss fights. It isn't exactly that either but it isn't really anything like Skyrim.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought Monster Hunter was pretty edgy from what I had seen and heard, but then I actually tried the game and the first thing you see when you boot up the game is "Remember to take breaks meow and then!" :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of its own thing

it's hard to recommend though because a lot of goons seem to really hate MH even though it's extremely good once it clicks with you and you can easily put hundreds of hours into them