Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Different title card also.

Looks the same to me...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Evek posted:

Anyone who doesn't rank Nemesis as the worst Star Trek movie of all time is a soulless minion of orthodoxy.

They're both on the bottom but I still think Nemesis is better than Into Darkness

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Into Darkness had a cool plot about militarism in Star Fleet being not-the-way. It had a nice bit where Kirk was tempted to launch missiles into a foreign country to kill a terrorist, and was told, "wait, that's bad" and then he realized it was actually loving bad, and didn't do it.

There were good parts of Into Darkness. Unlike the first reboot movie there were some honest moments of good idealism. Section 31 was a good villain. It was a DS9 reference and was about actively rejecting militarism.

And then there was the last act with Khan that everyone remembers and rightfully shits on and I can't blame anyone for calling the whole mess poo poo, but it's not unadulterated poo poo.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
The best parts of new Star Trek are when it tries to be like old Star Trek

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Even if the war happened a little fast, that was a good episode. Besides the Yar stuff. I really wish they could've left well enough alone and not retconned her death back to pointless.

Actually that's not Tasha Yar, that's her daughter.
:goonsay:

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Senor Tron posted:

"We could transport someone but you would be insane to do so, we can't teleport a soul".

Come to think of it were there ever any races in Trek that entirely eschewed transports for reasons like that? It seems like something a race like the Bajorans would do.

You'd think there'd be plenty of Humans who would say no thanks. I mean come on every one of us in the future is an atheist? Since when does Start Rek paint an entire species/civilization as a homogen... oh, right.

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I literally have not seen Insurrection or Nemesis since Nemesis came out. I might have seen Insurrection on video around that time, but I don't remember for sure.

And I'm OK with that.

Edit: I probably haven't seen First Contact in nearly as long. I'm more or less OK with that too.

Re-watch Insurrection with the Frakes/Sirtis commentary. They get drrnka and it's a hoot.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Sep 12, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Nemesis is the only Start Truck movie I've only seen once.

fake edit: Actually that's not true I haven't rewatched any of the JJtrek ones. But they genuinely never cross my mind when I think of Trek movies.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Senor Tron posted:

"We could transport someone but you would be insane to do so, we can't teleport a soul".

"You know what happens to ships that regularly use transporters? Ghosts. Millions of them."

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

After The War posted:

It also gets more rage-inducing the more you think about it, as opposed to the start-to-finish cerebral piledriver that is Nemesis.

I really like "start-to-finish cerebral piledriver"

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Trip report: DS9 season 5, episode 7 "Let He Who Is Without Sin..."

Worf did nothing wrong. :colbert:

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Eiba posted:

Into Darkness had a cool plot about militarism in Star Fleet being not-the-way. It had a nice bit where Kirk was tempted to launch missiles into a foreign country to kill a terrorist, and was told, "wait, that's bad" and then he realized it was actually loving bad, and didn't do it.

There were good parts of Into Darkness. Unlike the first reboot movie there were some honest moments of good idealism. Section 31 was a good villain. It was a DS9 reference and was about actively rejecting militarism.

And then there was the last act with Khan that everyone remembers and rightfully shits on and I can't blame anyone for calling the whole mess poo poo, but it's not unadulterated poo poo.

The absolute best part of Into Darkness was Scotty resigning. It's barely a two minute long scene, but it feels more like Star Trek than anything else in the movie.

aside from the thankfully-not-a-brewery but still terrible engineering set and warp core

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Orv posted:

Does TNG ever really establish if Warbirds can warp while cloaked? They show up under the Enterprise's nose enough that I'd kind of assume they can, but in Redemption they have to move at sublight while cloaked so the blockade is actually a feasible idea and uggggggggggh (fake) science. Either way you'd think they could just warp at right angles out of range of the blockade and get there way faster anyway.

Yeah it's established if they go faster than Warp 6 the cloak doesn't work very well. A few years later Starfleet will run into similar problems when they stick a cloaking device on one of their ships and it doesn't really work as advertised.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

cloaking devices function as well or as poorly as they need to at any time

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah it's established if they go faster than Warp 6 the cloak doesn't work very well. A few years later Starfleet will run into similar problems when they stick a cloaking device on one of their ships and it doesn't really work as advertised.

Hey, it worked as advertised until the people actually monitoring the prototype got shot shoved in an escape pod.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Tunicate posted:

"You know what happens to ships that regularly use transporters? Ghosts. Millions of them."

Do you generate a new ghost every time you're transported, or just the first time?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

Do you generate a new ghost every time you're transported, or just the first time?

You generate one ghost for each time you were transported.

That is, the first trip creates one ghost, the second trip creates two, and so on.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Skinny Pete will always have the definitive transporter answers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIsauNJ392o

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Pakled posted:

Try not to think about how a blockade would work in 3D space.

It would work you just needs lots of ships

Lots of them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I figured the blockade was more like a sensor net even if that isn't at all what they said. Gettin all Lensman about it. Also if the Roms had taken the long way around the ecliptic or something there wouldn't be any room for them to claim blah blah whatever political poo poo the bowlheads wanted to talk about.

Hipster_Doofus posted:

You'd think there'd be plenty of Humans who would say no thanks. I mean come on every one of us in the future is an atheist? Since when does Start Rek paint an entire species/civilization as a homogen... oh, right.
If you have a fundamental philosophical objection to being transported, I figure you can't work in Starfleet. Like that's not a reasonable accommodation, that's just "this is clearly not for you."

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You know 20 Federation Starships with some replicator time are probably carrying enough remote sensor platforms to start to make this sort of thing work. They just didn't mention launching probes.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Look, if a warp field comes within half a light year of a collimated tachyon beam there's a measurable disruption to the frequen

Orv
May 4, 2011
Worf, son of Mogh, a man who keeps ritual suicide knife juice in his quarters because you just never know.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worf definitely hosed Pulaski

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Worf definitely hosed Pulaski

That's why she had to leave at the end of the season. Recovery will take years.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
I'm worried about signing up for Starfleet. I hear sometimes you get surprise impregnated by aliens. I know you have a higher chance of traveling back in time and getting stuck in a temporal loop but I still don't want to take that chance.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

I'm worried about signing up for Starfleet. I hear sometimes you get surprise impregnated by aliens. I know you have a higher chance of traveling back in time and getting stuck in a temporal loop but I still don't want to take that chance.

You can't avoid it. You're already in the loop (and pregnant)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Would love to see the Waiver form for Starfleet

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Would love to see the Waiver form for Starfleet

It takes up an entire course at the academy

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

vermin posted:

You know you can easily leave most pregnancy behind in the pattern buffer.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

Al Borland Corp. posted:

You know you can easily leave most pregnancy behind in the pattern buffer.

Nah it just gets transferred to the person next to you

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

vermin posted:

that's just an urban myth. maybe you should sign up to starfleet so you can take some basic temporal mechanics classes and not make an rear end out of yourself on the galaxy wide web

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gahhh, they hosed with the opening bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dYJ2dXKAIs

Otherwise an okay-rear end theme with some tonal cues from Giacchino's stuff.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 12, 2017

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Cross-Section posted:

stop region locking these things god drat

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Rest of the world link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b474uGkLJH8

Oh man, the opening notes being wrong is going to bother me.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Cross-Section posted:

I kinda dig it, but it lacks a strong melody in the middle and it's definitely "Giacchino, but FOR TV!"

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
It's fine, but it's no Faith of the Heart

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's a giazucchini is it a vegan coffee?

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

skasion posted:

It's fine, but it's no Faith of the Heart

i prefer this version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ilQyFJH8c

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

It feels a little too Daredevil for a few moments in the middle but whatever, it's a perfectly fine theme that I'll listen to once in the pilot and then mute or skip in following episodes like I do with every other TV opening these days.

I'm more concerned about how the incidental music will turn out. Suffer not a pan flute to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
how do you gently caress up the starting four notes