Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

mattfl posted:

I think it's the wide angle that doesn't have OIS

no that would make sense but it's not what they announced, OIS only on wide angle, NOT on telephoto, X has OIS on both

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

This nicely sums up all my concerns about FaceID, even if it does unlock quickly:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/face-id-on-the-iphone-x-is-probably-going-to-suck/

Probably will just go with the 8+ until they re-add touchID to the X2 or solve these problems.

I like how buried at the bottom of the article he mentions that most people will just opt to enter a PIN. This is (in my experience) already the case with Touch ID. Most people just flat out can't be bothered to set it up.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

mattfl posted:

I think it's the wide angle that doesn't have OIS

Wide angle should have OIS on all models; that's the "standard" lens. The telephoto lens is the one only on the two-lens models. If it's the other way around, then either Apple is putting a ton of faith in their EIS, or it was a flub in the keynote.

Edit: website says OIS on the wide angle lens of both the 8 and 8+. Same deal as with the 7.

enojy fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 13, 2017

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The faceId unlock stuff looks so unbelievably awkward. Totally unnatural when it was demoed on stage in a controlled environment. Wanna quickly check your phone from your pocket? Nope.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

illcendiary posted:

Dang man check your emails :stonk:

Seriously. I don't understand how someone can look at the huge red number day in and day out and not go insane.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

iTunes focusing on music?:prepop:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

They want you to spend more on a +.

I would pay the price of an 8Plus if I could get that camera in an 8. I hate the size of the 8Plus

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Dr Tran posted:

I would pay the price of an 8Plus if I could get that camera in an 8. I hate the size of the 8Plus

Sounds like what you need is the all-new iPhone X, starting at $999 plus tax.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Dr Tran posted:

Same. I skipped the 7 because it was so underwhelming, and this year it is just more of the same. I would have no problem waiting another year if the battery on my 6 was decent.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the truth posted:

Same. I skipped the 7 because it was so underwhelming, and this year it is just more of the same. I would have no problem waiting another year if the battery on my 6 was decent.

Why not have Apple replace your battery for $79 and get another year out of your 6?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I might have to do that.

Upgrading to 256gb would have been nice, but the lack of camera upgrades in the regular 8 and the obscene price premium on the X are putting me off from upgrading at all. Knowing all the leaks ahead of time, I was still prepared to drop way too much money on the X. However, seeing the actual reveal and realizing how underwhelming the upgrades are overall has left me a little discouraged.

I'll do some more research on the cameras and battery life.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Weedle posted:

Why not have Apple replace your battery for $79 and get another year out of your 6?

I just made an appointment to do this for my 6S even. I might even squeak in under the cutoff for my credit card extended warranty, so hopefully I'll even get that cost covered.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I forgot they took away the headphone jack in the 7. Right now I think I might just get a 6s. What a weird turn of events.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can replace a 6S battery for $20-30 and a steady hand.
It's actually really easy.

iFixit sell you the whole kit for that price, and they're a large known entity so their 3rd party batteries aren't really a lottery, they're usually the Apple ones, from the same factory, but without the OEM label.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

This nicely sums up all my concerns about FaceID, even if it does unlock quickly:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/09/face-id-on-the-iphone-x-is-probably-going-to-suck/

Probably will just go with the 8+ until they re-add touchID to the X2 or solve these problems.

It's a bummer, and I'm not a fan of the face unlock even if it worked. I have a 7, this might be the first year since the iPhone 4 that I don't upgrade. I don't see the point.

illcendiary posted:

I like how buried at the bottom of the article he mentions that most people will just opt to enter a PIN. This is (in my experience) already the case with Touch ID. Most people just flat out can't be bothered to set it up.

Most people like Touch ID, some aren't shown how to show it up because it's an extra setup step.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

illcendiary posted:

People that can't figure out how to use Touch ID are probably not going to buy the $1000 special phone.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009
I can't wait for the ensuing privacy/civil liberties debate on being able to unlock the phone with your face. Granted it's not much different than LE/wife taking your thumb and forcing it open, it makes it much less difficult to accomplish surreptitiously. During a search warrant an officer holds the phone to your face when you're not expecting it, or your S/O holds the phone in front of your face while you sleep. Was this addressed at all?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

There's no legal difference, both are just a physical feature.

Realworld though, you can really easily get someone to glance at their phone you're holding at them.

killa-pope
May 21, 2008

spongeworthy posted:

I can't wait for the ensuing privacy/civil liberties debate on being able to unlock the phone with your face. Granted it's not much different than LE/wife taking your thumb and forcing it open, it makes it much less difficult to accomplish surreptitiously. During a search warrant an officer holds the phone to your face when you're not expecting it, or your S/O holds the phone in front of your face while you sleep. Was this addressed at all?

The keynote explicitly stated that Face ID requires your attention (via looking at the phone) to unlock. So it seems like being asleep or closing/averting your eyes in the LE situation would prevent unlocking.

E: if there is an appreciable delay for Face ID, that would add to security in this case.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

So the only way to reinstall apps is through the app store.

The only way to reinstall ringtones I've made myself is....?

EDIT: Thinking on it, the app thing is a great way to re-enforce the great x64 app-pocalypse. What are non-64bit having i-Device owners supposed to do?

EDIT2: On the ringtone front...you can still apparently add homemade/non-Apple ringtones...there's just no dedicated option in the menu system. You have to click and drag it to the tones option on the iPhone.

Snuffman fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Sep 13, 2017

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Snuffman posted:

The only way to reinstall ringtones I've made myself is....?

What's a ringtone?

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

the truth posted:

What's a ringtone?

That annoying sound that comes from your 60 year old coworker's desk sometimes

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

the truth posted:

What's a ringtone?

Pivo posted:

Also good points.

I've been using the same ringtone since I got an iPhone 4, but usually my phone is in silent mode anyways. :shrug:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

I put ios11 gm on my 7 and I’m liking it so far :3:

Can’t wait to put it on my iPad 10.5.

Can anyone install it now or do you need a dev account?

I ask because I've downloaded it twice but every time I try to install I get error 4000. :(

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

OldSenileGuy posted:

Can anyone install it now or do you need a dev account?

I ask because I've installed it twice and tried to install but I get error 4000 every time. :(

No dev account, just downloaded the IPSWICH and restored in iTunes. Using it on my iPad right now and it freaking owns. Pull keyboard is awesome.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

fourwood posted:

I just made an appointment to do this for my 6S even. I might even squeak in under the cutoff for my credit card extended warranty, so hopefully I'll even get that cost covered.

Actually, I have a question about this ^^^ plan, will the Genius Bar even consider replacing my battery if I'm on the iOS 11 Public Beta? Should I downgrade back to 10 first if I want to try to do this before the 11.0 final release next week?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Snuffman posted:

EDIT: Thinking on it, the app thing is a great way to re-enforce the great x64 app-pocalypse. What are non-64bit having i-Device owners supposed to do?

The last of the supported 32-bit iOS devices are being left on iOS 10. Curiously, Apple is still letting developers target iOS 10 for app development.

In spicier news, iTunes U lectures are still available as podcasts, but from iTunes 12.7 iTunes U public courses are now not available on general-purpose computers at all.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah the battery on my 6 is toast and the foam is >50% occluding the front camera. I want the XxX but gently caress I probably need to do the battery replacement so that I can make it to whenever they ship units.

It's gotten to the point where half the time I go from maybe half full battery to 1% and dead in minutes and sometimes plugging into a charger hard crashes the phone. Really only $79 to get it fixed? You pretty much need an appointment at the fruit stand these days?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My iPhone on the public beta cycle got a 2.05 GB update to iOS 11. I assume this is the GM?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

dont be mean to me posted:

In spicier news, iTunes U lectures are still available as podcasts, but from iTunes 12.7 iTunes U public courses are now not available on general-purpose computers at all.

I could have sworn there is the U app on MacOS isn't there?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The faceId unlock stuff looks so unbelievably awkward. Totally unnatural when it was demoed on stage in a controlled environment. Wanna quickly check your phone from your pocket? Nope.
I thought you had to do the weird circle things for first time setup. If it takes a conscious effort, then I'm gonna mostly miss TouchID.

Pivo posted:

I feel like choosing a ringtone should be part of the new phone setup process because the new default one (which example 60 year old definitely has) is annoying as all get out.

Its weird how unenthused I am for the iPhone X, considering how different it looks and the fact theres minimal bezel. Even as an Apple fanboy, this design feels like theyre catching up with other flagship Androids instead of going anywhere new. I really wanna be excited about it, but it feels like the cellular version of paying $80 for a videogame preorder so you can play with the alpha. I'm still gonna ogle it, take dumb filter selfies, and try faceID the very moment the display models are in the Apple store though :v:

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ultimate Mango posted:

I could have sworn there is the U app on MacOS isn't there?

Thought there was still just in iTunes on macOS, with no discrete iTunes U. Does High Sierra change that (beyond cutting the iTunes U section from iTunes, natch).

Maybe Apple TV? That's not GPC, though.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

My iPhone on the public beta cycle got a 2.05 GB update to iOS 11. I assume this is the GM?

Almost definitely unless something crazy happens in the next week and they need to rush a new build out. Every incremental beta update was a few hundred MB, last ones were tiny under 100MB, a multi-gig update (mine was 1.7GB) after an event pretty much always means GM.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm half-expecting them to just carry on with the numbers and still have an iPhone "10" four years from now.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iPhone 2018, iPhone X 2018, iPhone X Plus 2018...

Who knows, though? It's pretty hard to find long-running hardware that has consistent naming. GPUs and CPUs I guess would be the most egregious examples.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Go back to cats.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

xarph posted:

Now start selling different model numbers per retailer for maximum performa

They will go back to forcing retailers to order outers that contain one of each model.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I'm also on a 6 and not really sure what to do. The 8 seems like a decent upgrade but it's $930 CAD and I'm still not wild about giving up the headphone jack. The X seems like a massive compromise and at $1300 CAD I couldn't be less interested. My 6 is getting sluggish and I don't think I want to wait another year, nor do I want to just buy a stop-gap phone (because they're also expensive in Canada). Guess the 8 is the way to go, maybe 8+ just for the novelty?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

Go to the Apple Store and play with a 7+, it's surprisingly not that awful to use and the Plus form factor actually works pretty well unless you have Trump hands. I thought I'd hate it but I don't. You get a bigger battery and a better camera for your trouble. 8+ will definitely be a good upgrade to your 6. You could also just wait ... my iPad Mini 4 has the same hardware as an iPhone 6 and while slow TouchID sucks and sometimes it is a little laggy, it's not like... a thousand dollars laggy, you know?