Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I legit try to help out as a mentor. In dungeon, advice either gets no response or a hearty gently caress Off so I generally don't bother with that any more.

Novice Network is at best a lovely linkshell, and at worst a minor ERP channel. Good advice like dropping tank stance or healer dpsing will have half the channel trying to poo poo on you. I've seen ice mages get poo poo on, but that's the bar. Half the responses to questions are just unfunny troll answers. People clique up to whoever's popular and support them through the dumbest things. Did you know that the level 70 Dragoon quest was bugged, and was literally impossible unless you had 310+ gear? Well Lamia's novice network did, and god help you if you argue other wise. And kick someone from the channel when they're supporting bestiality or ethnic cleansings? You now have a dozen people reporting you to GMs. Kicking for anything less is pointless because it ends up in a race of all their friends trying to kick you out first.

I put up with it because I like to argue with idiots on the Internet. (It's me. I'm the idiot.)

Mentor roulette is just dumb. Oh look, Ramuh extreme with 3 noobs and the tank just pulled as soon as it loaded. Good fun.

Last time I checked on Hyperion ethnic cleansing was a cause celebre in the novice network. I don't check the novice network much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Sinners Sandwich posted:

It won't work for Ifrit cause it only lists high end trial

Well no, you do it in the perpetual tank mount farm parties

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Honestly is there any reason for darkside to exist anymore? Gameplay-wise at least. You turn it on and literally never think about it again, except maybe during long boss transitions.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Honestly is there any reason for darkside to exist anymore? Gameplay-wise at least. You turn it on and literally never think about it again, except maybe during long boss transitions.

Isn't it that darkside prevents all sorts of renewal effects and natural MP regen so theoretically (not actually) you might want to toggle it off to get an ewer or something?

I mean in practice they could totally just make it so DRKs don't ever regain MP in battle outside of their own MP-restore attacks and it wouldn't change a thing. Except getting rid of the neat red aura, that would be a loss.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, there's that, which I guess was meant to prevent dark knights from relying on MP restores from other classes to increase their dps.

Except there's already an actual dps class that relies on MP restores from other classes to increase their dps. Whoops!

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah you pretty much only turn it off any more if you gently caress up really really badly (to the point you almost have to gently caress up that bad on purpose) and need mp *now* or there's a long invincibility phase and you may as well get a some mp back in the meantime.

Enough things are tied to it that you can't even really forget to turn it on so it can't even be a mark of shame. I guess you can use lack of Darkside as an immediate and obvious sign that your tank is clueless though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

Yeah you pretty much only turn it off any more if you gently caress up really really badly (to the point you almost have to gently caress up that bad on purpose) and need mp *now* or there's a long invincibility phase and you may as well get a some mp back in the meantime.

Enough things are tied to it that you can't even really forget to turn it on so it can't even be a mark of shame. I guess you can use lack of Darkside as an immediate and obvious sign that your tank is clueless though.

I haven't done the math but even if you gently caress up super bad I feel like doing the first tow swings of your soul eater combo is going to replenish more MP than toggling on and off in the same time frame, especially with DS's mana cost.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
just did an o1s, couldn't figure out why the raid finder wouldn't queue us. it was apparently because someone had already cleared it, as we learned when we got one chest at the end. what an rear end in a top hat.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
The real DRK change in Stormblood should have been baking in the typical Darkside functions into the base job (no natural MP regen in battle, enabling Dark Arts, etc), and reworking the stance to do something useful.

I hate the dumb fart aura, too, tbh

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Sarrisan posted:

The real DRK change in Stormblood should have been baking in the typical Darkside functions into the base job (no natural MP regen in battle, enabling Dark Arts, etc), and reworking the stance to do something useful.

I hate the dumb fart aura, too, tbh

I think you can toggle that visual off, can't you?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
you can???

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Sarrisan posted:

you can???

Might be /dside

I base this off the toggle graphic for Gauss Barrel being /gbarrel, though.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Is Mechanist a class you can switch to when you hit 30, or does it unlock when a character hits 30 so a new character could be a Mechanist?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

You have to reach level 50 and progress through the main story to the point that you can do the side quest that unlocks it, then you can become a machinist on that character. You can never start a new character as a machinist.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Fister Roboto posted:

You have to reach level 50 and progress through the main story to the point that you can do the side quest that unlocks it, then you can become a machinist on that character. You can never start a new character as a machinist.

Also be forewarned that it notoriously takes a very long time to reach this point in the story (the beginning of Heavensward, the first expansion) and also that Machinist kind of sucks

Sarrisan posted:

you can???

I could have sworn you could but googling isn't being immediately conclusive enough for me to tell if I'm right or not

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Ainsley McTree posted:

...and also that Machinist kind of sucks

Awww... :(

Sometimes you just want to shoot things.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I would be astonished if mch still sucks once 4.1 releases

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

Awww... :(

Sometimes you just want to shoot things.

If it's any comfort, there's every possibility that by the time you unlock it a patch will have come that overcompensates and makes it overpowered, so keep your fingers crossed!

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ainsley McTree posted:

I could have sworn you could but googling isn't being immediately conclusive enough for me to tell if I'm right or not

They made it so that turning off other players' effects also turns off the darkside glow, which, for some reason, was not the case in 3.0.

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
mch doesn't suck, unless you meant to play which is valid, and double physical ranged (mch brd drg nin) is still one of the strongest (maybe actually the strongest) dps comps in the game right now

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

Yoshi revamped every job and somehow the they end up being exactly the same, but with a Paladin. :thunk:

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Machinist is actually performing really well right now, but a lot of people say it's janky-feeling to level and only slightly less janky-feeling at cap.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Sade posted:

Machinist is actually performing really well right now, but a lot of people say it's janky-feeling to level and only slightly less janky-feeling at cap.

I don't think it's bad in the 50s to be honest. It would be nice to have a bit more control over your heat early on but your cool downs line up well and you get to look awesome jumping around shooting things. It's doesn't flow as well as RDM for instance but it's hardly 4.x SMN to play/level.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Darkside turns off when you die. It's really annoying because I always forget and keep trying to hit Dark Arts but nothing happens :(

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Darkside turns off when you die. It's really annoying because I always forget and keep trying to hit Dark Arts but nothing happens :(

You really opened yourself up to the "well, don't die" response.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Welp I'll never forget the order for when qarn comes up in leveling again.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

Welp I'll never forget the order for when qarn comes up in leveling again.

I always went with flame = fleft, fruit = fright, but that is much better

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I always went with standing around awkwardly hoping somebody else knows what they're doing.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I just smashed them in whatever order I felt like because if I got it wrong, who cares it's three mobs and more xp.

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

You're all too serious. All I get out of that is the joke of her calling her ex a flaming fruit. :iceburn:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

the novice network channel has that one guy that never shuts up about "lalalitas" and as such should be destroyed

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
"firefruit" sounds like a fantasy thing that could exist, "fruitfire" just sounds dumb. ive used that for like 4 years now lol

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

You put the two in alphabetical order, you dinguses.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If you're ever in doubt about the correct order you can literally just step outside and check the pedestals in the previous room.

Or you can just not give a gently caress about the chest with an x-potion and a moth-worn coatee in it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I always assumed it changed ever run like the Sastasha switch and nobody ever bothered to check the signs because who cares

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My Qarn memetic: The flame of power is balanced by the fruit of knowledge.

Also I too, have to suffer an insufferable narcissistic twat that bogs down my server's NN with talk worthy of Balmung (which gets them kicked) and for abusing the kick feature (because they use it to kick whoever kicked them in the first place.)

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
NN really could use a mod employed by SE that kicks/bans for off-topic chat. They'd only need like 1 per datacenter too, it's not like there's that much traffic in there that''s actually on topic.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fister Roboto posted:

If you're ever in doubt about the correct order you can literally just step outside and check the pedestals in the previous room.

Or you can just not give a gently caress about the chest with an x-potion and a moth-worn coatee in it.

i dont think ive opened the chests i like 3 years i just like doing one less pull and doing it right takes just as much time as doing it wrong

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
I have discovered a terrible, awful joke.

Neo Exdeath.

N.E.D.

Ned.

flanders

(I can't unthink it so now neither can you)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velthice
Dec 12, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
...welcome to like 9 weeks ago?