Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Thats more necessary for resin kits which hold mold release really well; it's not a bad idea in general to wash and dry poo poo before painting because hand grease and dust can mix poorly with paints, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Neurolimal posted:

Thats more necessary for resin kits which hold mold release really well; it's not a bad idea in general to wash and dry poo poo before painting because hand grease and dust can mix poorly with paints, though.

It's a fair point, but I have seen very good modelers actually buy hypersonic contact lens washing machines to do the same thing

Nebakenezzer has issued a correction as of 19:18 on Sep 12, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Hypersonic cleaners are more useful for airbrush components.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Squizzle posted:

attn

everyone who posts a completed model or at least four meaningful progress updates before the deadline (31 octo) will receive this gangtag (unless they ask not to i guess??):

it has already been given to one other poster because sexbot was in their username but such is my caprice

i wish i could do this by then but i had a panic attack and switched one of my day classes to a nite class that starts next month

so my student loans are hosed and i aint gonna have the money to order one til the end of next month or november

can i have an extension

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

i wish i could do this by then but i had a panic attack and switched one of my day classes to a nite class that starts next month

so my student loans are hosed and i aint gonna have the money to order one til the end of next month or november

can i have an extension

We could do another challenge after this one is over. The Hyper Gyanko kit will be out by then, we could all build Hyper Gyankos.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
should be a Barzam.

I only say this since I already have and assembled a Barzam...

BUT IT'S FUCKiN' TIGHT

BARZAM

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

can i have an extension

We are just as dumb and inflexible as the (Canadian?) student loans program

so yes

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mecha Gojira posted:

should be a Barzam.

I only say this since I already have and assembled a Barzam...

BUT IT'S FUCKiN' TIGHT

BARZAM

I vote for this, but I also have a Efreet Schneid coming later this month and I got it solely because he was covered in motherfuckin' blades

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Taintrunner posted:

I vote for this, but I also have a Efreet Schneid coming later this month and I got it solely because he was covered in motherfuckin' blades

Good call; that's the same reason I want the MG Blue Frame despite having no idea what SEED Astray is about besides tryhard badass designs like giant katanas and EVERYTHING IS KNIVES.

Edit: I have the Efreet Custom from the RE/100, which as far as I can tell is what they remolded and shrunk to make the Schneid. Good kit, though the construction is really simple and straight-forward. Probably makes more sense in the smaller scale.

Mecha Gojira has issued a correction as of 00:44 on Sep 13, 2017

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i ordered a pink concert zaku cos its a pink concert robot i guess

looks rad as gently caress

looks like a jojo

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Got my Hi-mock assembled. Was legit confused when I realized "this thing doesn't even need glue." The quality is really good - fantastic for a $13 kit. Because it came from Japan the instructions were in moonlanguage so I guess I'll never know what this dude is saying:

Also clearly there are already signs of infection, as apparently the Hi-mock/other kits have weapon expansion packs including a shitload of guns, and another pack with a giant hammer and an axe (passed along for any heavy metal hi-mocks out there.)

Now I have to actually figure out what to do with it. "Jeb's moderate oppression force?"

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Umm, that guy is Ramba Ral (age: 35), who apparently became the eternal spirit of Gunpla after dying in a failed suicide mission during Gundam's initial 1979 TV run.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mecha Gojira posted:

Umm, that guy is Ramba Ral (age: 35), who apparently became the eternal spirit of Gunpla after dying in a failed suicide mission during Gundam's initial 1979 TV run.

That does explain the sweater

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

what is the etymology of the word gunpla

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squizzle posted:

what is the etymology of the word gunpla

gundam + plastic modelling

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
Japan doesn't really have a phonetic alphabet like ours, and they prefer portmanteaus over acronyms and other types of abbreviation.

Gundam Plastic model kits. Non-Gundam IP kits are referred to as PlaMo (Plastic Model).

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

On that subject, what does petit'gguy mean?

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

SkunkDuster posted:

On that subject, what does petit'gguy mean?

He's a Beargguy but small.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

ScrubLeague posted:

He's a Beargguy but small.

And a Beargguy is a bear version of an Acguy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Nebakenezzer posted:

Got my Hi-mock assembled. Was legit confused when I realized "this thing doesn't even need glue." The quality is really good - fantastic for a $13 kit. Because it came from Japan the instructions were in moonlanguage so I guess I'll never know what this dude is saying:

Also clearly there are already signs of infection, as apparently the Hi-mock/other kits have weapon expansion packs including a shitload of guns, and another pack with a giant hammer and an axe (passed along for any heavy metal hi-mocks out there.)

Now I have to actually figure out what to do with it. "Jeb's moderate oppression force?"

The High Grade Build Custom line (HGBC) is an entire line of accessory and weapon packs compatible with most modern gunpla from the last 5-odd years since they standardized a bunch of things (backpack peg slots, hand sizes, etc). There's also the System Weapon line, which are more expensive but also highly customizable in of themselves and far more detailed.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Full evolution of a Bear Boy

Future of Bear Boy

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

o u c h

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

i ordered a pink concert zaku cos its a pink concert robot i guess

looks rad as gently caress

looks like a jojo

yeah being a pink concert robot is a o k :hai:

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

got this in the post today:

its a (n almost) totally plastic drill on sprues like a gundam lol

gonna drill into my hi mock today and either facilitate an epic kitbash or ruin it

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

yeah being a pink concert robot is a o k :hai:

doxxed

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

hi mock dragonzord ready for priming huhh hiya hut-tsii hyaaa huhh haah hyahh hnn hiya *does a flip*

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

SQUIZZLE IM CALLING UPON YOU TO REPOST THE AMAZING POST FROM THE LOST THREAD BEYOND THE REACH OF MORTAL POSTER

WHEREIN YOU MADE ME A POWER RANGER

SO THAT I CAN USE THIS TO POWER THE HIMOCK I JUST ORDERED :getin:

a v e r y s p e c i a l m e s s a g e o f g r a d i t u d e t o o u r s p o n s o r :thumbsup: 

oh and get this bithc

i got a pack of contact mics prewired to 3.5mm jacks all wired up and ready to plug into t h e b r a d o p h o n ! ! ! so this will be a mini pink concert bot built by a pink concert bot o7 ^___-

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

oooh maybe i could put the jack in the place for the eye? that way itd be like his mouth instead of his eye? plus thatd make plugging it in rly hot :wink:

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
edge highlighting is hard

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm still waiting on accessories from Japan to come in so I can procrastinate doing my waterslide decals

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dumb Question from a gundam nooblet: I'm gonna primer everything -should I remove limbs for this? Or should Hi-mocks be together at all times for painting?

e: also, should I erase panel lines, or should I just let them stay as a model that moves and has articulation is gonna re-make those lines anyway?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dumb Question from a gundam nooblet: I'm gonna primer everything -should I remove limbs for this? Or should Hi-mocks be together at all times for painting?

e: also, should I erase panel lines, or should I just let them stay as a model that moves and has articulation is gonna re-make those lines anyway?

It's best to break down the parts as much as you can while painting. So, yeah, go ahead and paint separately and assemble later.

Panel lines, that depends on what you mean. If you mean the seam where two pieces meet up, it depends on whether or not that piece actually has a panel line in the art. Other wise, go ahead and smooth over seams; there are already molded panel lines on the figure which benefit greatly from a wash or other lining method.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Mecha Gojira posted:

It's best to break down the parts as much as you can while painting. So, yeah, go ahead and paint separately and assemble later.

Panel lines, that depends on what you mean. If you mean the seam where two pieces meet up, it depends on whether or not that piece actually has a panel line in the art. Other wise, go ahead and smooth over seams; there are already molded panel lines on the figure which benefit greatly from a wash or other lining method.

OK, good. Thanks.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
-personally- seam lines are one of those things I dont really gaf about that much when it comes to robot models, the idea is that they're made of panels of metal anyways so whatever

obv the reason people do it is less immersion and more 'make it look less of a toy" but Bandai's been really good about hiding seamlines in recent years soooo

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Neurolimal posted:

-personally- seam lines are one of those things I dont really gaf about that much when it comes to robot models, the idea is that they're made of panels of metal anyways so whatever

obv the reason people do it is less immersion and more 'make it look less of a toy" but Bandai's been really good about hiding seamlines in recent years soooo

It was WAY more egregious in early kits, where a leg was just two plates you slapped together with a big funny-looking plastic seam down the middle of what's supposed to be a smooth surface. It's really only been in the last like ten years they've gotten really good about hiding them.

I get more upset at the fact that Bandai forgets to include how X layers of paint will affect clearances and tolerances of some pieces or kits, but then not others. It's really weird and literally something you only notice while painting and assembling. Like, oh, yeah, this moving part has a noticeable gap that would allow for clearance once painted. This one... *scratch* didn't...

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Waterslide decals are a real fucker, but I'm making some decent progress!

e: War in the Pocket was fuckin' awesome, thanks whoever recommended it

Taintrunner has issued a correction as of 07:16 on Sep 17, 2017

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

heineken-mock

I did the first pass on painting today, got some kits that i'm gonna steal weapons off somewhere between japan and my door. Should be done by the end of the month.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
:beerpal:

Fun hobby. Getting some of that matte paint when I can~

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Taintrunner posted:

Waterslide decals are a real fucker, but I'm making some decent progress!

e: War in the Pocket was fuckin' awesome, thanks whoever recommended it

Looks good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Marx Headroom posted:

:beerpal:

Fun hobby. Getting some of that matte paint when I can~

I think you assembled your cat wrong, did you cut the spine off the sprue sheet before plugging it in?

• Locked thread