Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
please just ignore that exclamation point guy, he isn't even reading the thread.

even if he is reading the thread, "twin peaks isn't my cup of tea, and since i'm the only person in the universe, that means everyone who likes it is a brainwashed lynch cultist" is not worth responding to.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

...! posted:

What if he were to say, "gently caress it," and slap together a quick ending that cuts off several of the main storylines without addressing them?

better strap yourself in for next season. lol.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm genuinely trying to figure out how someone could make the following argument:

"GOT fans would be upset if the creator's original vision was compromised. therefore Lynch fans should be upset because storylines didn't end how I wanted them to, despite the fact that it was a cohesive, complete artistic expression"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

...! posted:

Lynch just has some fanatics who insist that his works' failings aren't failings. If you see them as failings, then YOU are the failing. There are no valid criticisms, not even from people who do like what he does. By definition, all of his writing is perfect.

It's just weird that no one else has this type of follower. Take George R.R. Martin, for example. I've suspected for awhile now that -- given his age, health, and increasingly minute attention span -- he'll never finish A Song of Fire and Ice. I'll be extremely amazed if it's completed before he dies. What if he were to say, "gently caress it," and slap together a quick ending that cuts off several of the main storylines without addressing them?

There'd be a shitfit, with people wanting to know what happened to those characters/storylines. I highly doubt there'd be a bunch of people shouting highly condescending things like, "you just don't 'get' Martin" or "A Song of Fire and Ice just isn't for you, but that's perfectly OK; it's not for everybody" or "it's just not the ending you wanted."

Why Lynch gets that kind of disturbing treatment and other writers/directors don't is beyond me.

go to bed

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I am offended that people like this TV show I dont like

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I am offended that people like this TV show I dont like

I watched this show for 18 hours and hated every episode; it's clearly other people that are irrational.

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009
I watched FWWM for the first time in a long while. I still think it's the least impressive movie Lynch has ever done. What's the point in re-telling the story of Laura Palmer's murder?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I didn't give a poo poo about Laura Palmer until I watched FWWM

Her acting in that is top notch

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

I didn't give a poo poo about Laura Palmer until I watched FWWM

Her acting in that is top notch

Agreed. Really strong performance by her and Ray Wise. Otherwise, sort of a so-so movie, but Sheryl Lee carries it.

Actually, the Deer Meadow stuff is good too, there's just not enough of it.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Vogler posted:

I watched FWWM for the first time in a long while. I still think it's the least impressive movie Lynch has ever done. What's the point in re-telling the story of Laura Palmer's murder?

You're telling me that seeing domestic abuse from the perspective of the victim had no impact on you at all?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Vogler posted:

If that bedroom scene of Bob transitioning into Leland didn't scare the poo poo out of you and make you feel for Laura, then I don't know what to tell you.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

BigFactory posted:

Agreed. Really strong performance by her and Ray Wise. Otherwise, sort of a so-so movie, but Sheryl Lee carries it.

Actually, the Deer Meadow stuff is good too, there's just not enough of it.

As awesome as Sheryl Lee was, I wish that movie was just 100% Chet Desmond fist fighting his way through the Teresa Banks murder investigation with his hapless buddy Sam. Did Chris Isaac ever act again? He was great in that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

As awesome as Sheryl Lee was, I wish that movie was just 100% Chet Desmond fist fighting his way through the Teresa Banks murder investigation with his hapless buddy Sam. Did Chris Isaac ever act again? He was great in that.

He wasn't that good, but I would have watched a whole movie of that stuff, and I guess a whole movie about Laura, although its kinda the right amount of Laura stuff. You're ready for it to be over by the end.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If that bedroom scene of Bob transitioning into Leland didn't scare the poo poo out of you and make you feel for Laura, then I don't know what to tell you.

A few years ago I saw a screening of FWWM at University of So CA, and there was a Q&A afterward with some of the cast. Sheryl Lee said that in that scene, there was originally supposed to be cuts between Bob, Leland, and...a severed pig's head. Lee told Lynch no way; he apparently just was puzzled by her refusal (I mean who wouldn't want to act a scene of being raped by a pig's head?).

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I loved the Deer Meadow stuff in FWWM, I really would like to see more of that.

Also, in the scene where Leland turns into Bob in bed with Laura, Lynch originally wanted there to be a cut of Laura holding a severed pig's head before he turned into Leland, but Sheryl Lee nixed it.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Cromulent posted:

I loved the Deer Meadow stuff in FWWM, I really would like to see more of that.

Yeah I didn't come into S3 with any real expectations but I was sad that Carl moved to TP rather than setting part of the show in Deer Meadow.

Also can you all help me save $10 and just pretend that I bought that exclamation point guy a custom avatar of Charlyne Yi crawling and screaming on the floor of the roadhouse with the caption "confused casual"? Thanks in advance.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
FWWM ranks up there with Mulholland Drive as my favorite Lynch movie, though admittedly I still have to watch Inland Empire.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I like the first half hour of FWWM but for some reason I'm not mad on the majority of the stuff that actually links to S1 of Twin Peaks. It's one of my least favourite Lynch movies.
Mulholland is the best IMO, scariest film I've ever seen in my life.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
FWWM is like the 7th best Lynch movie

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

FWWM is like the 7th best Lynch movie

Agreed with the caveat that I loving love FWWM and think it's a very good movie. Inland Empire is the only one I really dislike, but that's more a personal preference I think. Or it's bad. I still can't decide.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I don't really count Dune and haven't seen The Straight Story, but the Lynch movie I dislike is Wild At Heart. Too much of a freak show.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Agreed with the caveat that I loving love FWWM and think it's a very good movie. Inland Empire is the only one I really dislike, but that's more a personal preference I think. Or it's bad. I still can't decide.

I have the same feelings about both movies. FWWM is, I think, objectively not as good a movie as Blue Velvet or Mulholland Drive, but I have sentimental attachment to it. When I was 12 or 13 years old, I got my own video rental card and immediately started plowing through every R rated movie I could find that looked like it would have boobs in it. This plan was going fine until I started dwindling down toward the less-obvious choices, and I rolled the dice on a tattered VHS copy of FWWM. That movie absolutely bent my pubescent mind in half. I'd never seen anything like it, and it sparked a desperate love for films and filmmaking that persists to this day. I devoured everything Lynch had ever done, and moved on to Cronenberg and Jodorowsky and John Waters and nothing was ever the same.

anyway, sheryl lee is still hot.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I haven't seen Elephant Man in about 8-9 years but I remember not really liking it so much. Definitely worth a rewatch though.

Same with Inland but like the exact opposite

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray
If there is a 4th season of Twin Peaks, you can guarantee people will fall into the same sort of gambler's fallacy about how this time it will surely wrap things up nice and neat. No. No, it won't.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Like I believe people that say IE has a lot below the surface and that you can make more sense of it by rewatching and theorycrafting but it all just feels so mundane.

Speaking of theories, I've been thinking a lot about the Roadhouse and I'm starting to wonder if it functions as some kind of collective unconscious where people's avatars (for lack of a better word) show up to hash through poo poo they are burying. All the conversations by strangers and a lot of what happens there kind of reflects elements of the main plot threads. On the other hand, James and Freddie can just hang out there like it's no big so I really have no idea.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Why the poo poo is it impossible to get a pic of Bob's actual FWWM tattoo? All I get are giant face bob sleeves and other non bob tattoo version of FWWM, or meanwhile.

Hijinks Ensue
Jul 24, 2007
I'm getting ready for a re-watch. Was originally planning on bingeing but I think now I'm going to do one episode at a time so I can focus on the details and apply all that to the finale.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Am I the only one who very frankly is not ready for a re-watch and actually feels like his Twin Peaks Itch has been satiated properly for the first time in 2 decades? 'Cause that's actually how I kinda feel.

Twin Peaks ain't goin' nowhere. I'll have lots of time to watch it again. I'm actually just gonna wait till I have someone else to watch it with for my next re-watch, I think.

I still really wanna rewatch a few key episodes here or there on my own just for quick analysis purposes, though, for sure - including the Pilot and the S2 finale and FWWM and Dark Lonely Souls and May the Giant Be With You and ones like that.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Sep 13, 2017

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Hijinks Ensue posted:

I'm getting ready for a re-watch. Was originally planning on bingeing but I think now I'm going to do one episode at a time so I can focus on the details and apply all that to the finale.
This is the way to go.

Everyone who liked watching the first time owes it to themselves to do a rewatch. I'm only to Ep. 4 and things are already fitting together in satisfying ways.

Also more or less knowing how things turn out in the end adds on kind of a rich layer of dramatic irony and humor to certain scenes.

And Christ, the show is hilarious, the Dougie scenes feel like a comedic triumph to me.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
Introduced a few of my buddies to the show. One of them said James looks like a young Tom Brady. I can't get that out of my head.

Art Alexakis
Mar 27, 2008

Modrasone posted:

Audrey thought she had Door Anxiety but realised after a strange incident of nostalgia that she was actually living inside her own head and something terrible had happened to her. Sarah had a demon living inside of her and ultimately a framed picture of her daughter bore the brunt of that. These are endings. Okay they are not the kind of endings you'd get in something by, say, George Martin (not the Beatles one) or in something by Julia Donaldson, but they are endings nonetheless. I feel you though, I would have had Audrey's story end with her getting her coat and going to the Roadhouse and meeting Coop and then saying "let's fight evil" and then they fight the evil and everyone has a smiling party after they fight the evil (they win) but that's not what happened and I guess I'll just go back to looking at that 1990's promo photo of Cooper looking out of the window while Audrey looks at Cooper and they might have sex soon.

As for Sarah I kind of wished Cooper would have gone through all of that stuff in Episode 18 even though it made no sense to me, or my therapist, but when he opens the door Sarah is there, rather than the lady from the Chromatics, and Cooper is like, "Sarah Palmer, or should I say Mother, I mean her mother (pointing at Laura) not mine that would be weird, I have been waiting long for this day". And Sarah is completely unfazed. That big hair of hers is bigger somehow and there electric poo poo dancing through it like intra-cloud lightning. "Dale Cooper," she says "I too knew this day would come. You have grown powerful in your green suit and all that weird poo poo you did with the world's most obvious stroke victim and the kettle thing".

Beads of sweat are visible on Coop's forehead as we zoom in on his face. He composes himself and lets out a rallying cry. "FIRE WALK WITH ME!" he bellows in a cool way as he shoots fire from his hands and Sarah does backflips and goes through a window or something equally epic as the two of them engage in jaw dropping physical and energetic combat. One shot gets repeated like three times in quick succession just to show you how awesome what just happened was. But oh no, Sarah grabs hold of a bag of Pine Weasel's and throws them at Coop and he's down and maybe out. Laura just stands there with her hands over her mouth. "This is, excuse me," says Sarah in a voice like shredded treacle, "a drat Dead Coop" and she raises some sharp object like a knife or a chainsaw or something, but just then, JUST THEN, a 1960's Gretch guitar comes swinging out of the corner of the frame and connects with Sarah's head, which shatters totally and sends Pine Weasel's flying to all corners. Coop looks up, beaten but grateful. The camera pans back to reveal the Cockney Boy and his friend James, whose guitar is caked in the gore of victory. "Just you and I, Coop my old friend, just you and I" says James and cheering can be heard behind them. The camera pans back to show the entire crowd from the defeat of Evil Coop in the Sheriff's Station stood in the road.

"But how did you all get here?" says Coop, acting confused. "Bought meself a blummin Tardis innit!" says the Cockney boy with the Green Glove as the camera pans to show a potentially huge legal problem for Rancho Rosa Productions in the background. "Well, as I always say," says Coop, beaming from ear to ear, sure of his final victory over I dunno what the gently caress, "everyday, once a day, buy . . . yourself . . . . a . . .Tardis?". The actor Kyle McLaughlin looks really unsure and kind of embarrassed delivering such an obviously bad line which might endanger the whole production due to lawsuits but everyone cheers anyway and the camera pans through the crowd, Lucy, Andy and all, before finally resting on a shot of Gordon Cole chewing a pair of panties.

the gently caress is this poo poo

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Art Alexakis posted:

One of the best posts in the thread probably.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Art Alexakis posted:

Looks like a fanfic to me.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
I still can't believe Lynch cut this scene of Laura from FWWM:

Incredibly unsettling and a great way of showing us the conflict inside of her. Rewatching that, I think that Sarah's "Laauurraaa" line is the one that is used in the final scene of S3.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

kaworu posted:

Twin Peaks ain't goin' nowhere. I'll have lots of time to watch it again. I'm actually just gonna wait till I have someone else to watch it with for my next re-watch, I think.

wait for the blu ray to come out so you can also hopefully get more bonus footage of david lynch eating quinoa

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

el oso posted:

I still can't believe Lynch cut this scene of Laura from FWWM:

Incredibly unsettling and a great way of showing us the conflict inside of her. Rewatching that, I think that Sarah's "Laauurraaa" line is the one that is used in the final scene of S3.

Totally agreed. It also adds some ambiguity to the ending, because it's not entirely clear what her smile means....

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I'm watching Fire Walk With Me for the first time. What's with the electricity noises whenever they look at a telephone pole. It sounds like someone doing a very offensive native american whoop whoop whoop thing with their hand popping on their mouth. Like some 1940's looney tunes thing where daffy duck gets excited for westerns or something.

Kind of like the opposite of the dull droning we hear in season 3

Capntastic
Jan 13, 2005

A dog begins eating a dusty old coil of rope but there's a nail in it.

Krinkle posted:

I'm watching Fire Walk With Me for the first time. What's with the electricity noises whenever they look at a telephone pole. It sounds like someone doing a very offensive native american whoop whoop whoop thing with their hand popping on their mouth. Like some 1940's looney tunes thing where daffy duck gets excited for westerns or something.

That's what the arm sounds like

Vogler
Feb 6, 2009

cis autodrag posted:

You're telling me that seeing domestic abuse from the perspective of the victim had no impact on you at all?

No. I'm saying that since FWWM had the potential to tell so many stories, it was disappointing that it chose to spend 2/3rds of its runtime telling one that we already knew. Especially after that hilarious bit with David Lynch and the pantomime girl that gave me such high expectations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Capntastic posted:

That's what the arm sounds like

I thought you were loving with me but I guess 20 minutes later, yeah, that's the sound the arm makes. Dang.