Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Tom Perez B/K/M?
This poll is closed.
B 77 25.50%
K 160 52.98%
M 65 21.52%
Total: 229 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

If the voters can't be arsed to vote for better candidates, then they deserve Trump, imo.

I see we've reached the point where somebody is unironically arguing that political parties can't affect their electoral fortunes in any way. Which does call in question why the dems blew over a billion smackers on trying to get Hillary into the White House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

McCloud posted:

Like, there's a big difference between Obama using his supermajority to pass healthcare reform and stimulus bill which saved the economy, and Trump who used his Supermajority to ?!?!?

vvvvvvvvv
You are technically correct, which is the best kind of correct. Duly noted.

You are actually right, Obama wasn't 100% ineffective, he just used his mandate to create policies that filled the pockets of the least deserving people, under the pretense that it was the best he could do. Which is a kind of failure as far as the electorate is concerned.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

McCloud posted:

they deserve Trump, imo.

As a white, male, straight 1%er, Jesus just just embrace your privilege already and join the GOP. You don't have the stomach for the fight.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

McCloud posted:

If the voters can't be arsed to vote for better candidates, then they deserve Trump, imo.

That's hard to do when you have no better options.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

"People deserve what they get for voting incorrectly, even if they themselves didn't vote for the bad candidate but live in areas where they are outnumbered or neither candidate cares about their interests" doesn't really speak to the compassionate nature of pragmatic politics. It reminds me of arguing with people here before 2016 in which they couldn't understand why you would do anything for younger Americans. Since they aren't going to vote for you in high enough numbers statistically in midterms they should be pragmatically ignored. The entire nature of that ideology is wait until people vote for you and then do what they want (maybe) which is so ludicrously backwards and it's clearly not working. At this point as Hillary is displaying, for many it's about punishing people that don't show sufficient faith in their betters rather than adapt to winning elections.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Sep 13, 2017

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

McCloud posted:

So which mainstream candidate could I have voted for to end our 17 wars in the Middle East?

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I always knew people would try to rewrite the crash into "actually, people were super happy to be unemployed and broke and were desperately trying to find ways to shovel money at bankers and engage in the Grand Bargain to cut social security, because all Americans are idiot racist rubes'

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

Wow, someone to the left of the establishment dems got elected in a blood red state! That's supposed to be impossible! Only blue dogs are supposed to be able to win here!!

This is very good and interesting but the million dollar questions are a) can this be repeated elsewhere and b) does he manage reelection without a big fat Trump-shaped weight hanging on the Republicans' necks?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Cerebral Bore posted:

I see we've reached the point where somebody is unironically arguing that political parties can't affect their electoral fortunes in any way.
Which does call in question why the dems blew over a billion smackers on trying to get Hillary into the White House.

Well they didn't succeed so clearly there's something to that.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

readingatwork posted:

So which mainstream candidate could I have voted for to end our 17 wars in the Middle East?

Vermin Supreme.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

McCloud posted:

i voted for bernie in the primary and gloria la riva in the general

i think i voted for the better candidates where possible :)

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Avirosb posted:

Not really, it's like coming to the conclusion that money in politics doesn't matter since Clinton spent more and lost. It's pretty facile

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Avirosb posted:

*Makes Republican healthcare plan the defining policy of the party*
"Why can't voters recognize that we're the better option!?"

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

This is very good and interesting but the million dollar questions are a) can this be repeated elsewhere and b) does he manage reelection without a big fat Trump-shaped weight hanging on the Republicans' necks?

it's been repeated 3 times in the state lk

you can try to be a little less pessimistic you know?

as for "trump made this possible!!!" that's doubtful. oklahoma voted for ford after he pardoned nixon, and oklahoma loves arpaio so trump pardoning him (and banning immigrants, the wall, etc) should all be plusses for oklahoma under current theory and your reasoning

Condiv fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Sep 13, 2017

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

McCloud posted:

I say this politely, but you're full of poo poo.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/why-democrats-lost-the-house-to-republicans/

http://winstongroup.net/2010/12/22/put-out-the-fire-an-analysis-of-the-2010-midterm-elections/

Both these post 2010 midterm articles point to dissatisfaction with the economy. People were angry that Obama hadn't fixed the economy yet and because they hated the stimulus.

In short, voters are stupid, and the reason the dems lost has nothing to do with "protecting criminal bankers" and everything to do with high unemployment and anger at the stimulus bill, and the misstaken belief that Obama could wave his magic wand and fix the worst economic meltdown in recent memory.

The stimulus was poo poo though. It was one-third the size that economists recommended, and even that was tilted too far toward worthless non-stimulative tax cuts for the rich. It didn't loving work, so people concluded the stimulus was bad rather than realizing the actual problem: the stimulus was too small.

McCloud posted:

If you think the public stayed home because he protected wall street, prove it.

Look at the popular stuff that Obama didn't do (the first three)
Now look at the unpopular stuff Obama did do (the last two, although at least the auto bailout was locally popular and likely kept Michigan and Ohio in our column in 2012)

"But what about the stimulus"
Not big enough
"Obama helped homeowners, what about HAMP?"
lol

quote:

AMP, the signature program to aid poor homeowners, was announced by President Obama on February 18th, 2009. The move inspired CNBC commentator Rick Santelli to go berserk the next day – the infamous viral rant that essentially birthed the Tea Party. Reacting to the news that Obama was planning to use bailout funds to help poor and (presumably) minority homeowners facing foreclosure, Santelli fumed that the president wanted to "subsidize the losers' mortgages" when he should "reward people that could carry the water, instead of drink the water." The tirade against "water drinkers" led to the sort of spontaneous nationwide protests one might have expected months before, when we essentially gave a taxpayer-funded blank check to Gamblers Anonymous addicts, the millionaire and billionaire class.

In fact, the amount of money that eventually got spent on homeowner aid now stands as a kind of grotesque joke compared to the Himalayan mountain range of cash that got moved onto the balance sheets of the big banks more or less instantly in the first months of the bailouts. At the start, $50 billion of TARP funds were earmarked for HAMP. In 2010, the size of the program was cut to $30 billion. As of November of last year, a mere $4 billion total has been spent for loan modifications and other homeowner aid.
In short, the bailout program designed to help those lazy, job-averse, "water-drinking" minority homeowners – the one that gave birth to the Tea Party – turns out to have comprised about one percent of total TARP spending. "It's amazing," says Paul Kiel, who monitors bailout spending for ProPublica. "It's probably one of the biggest failures of the Obama administration."

The failure of HAMP underscores another damning truth – that the Bush-Obama bailout was as purely bipartisan a program as we've had. Imagine Obama retaining Don Rumsfeld as defense secretary and still digging for WMDs in the Iraqi desert four years after his election: That's what it was like when he left Tim Geithner, one of the chief architects of Bush's bailout, in command of the no-strings-­attached rescue four years after Bush left office.

Yet Obama's HAMP program, as lame as it turned out to be, still stands out as one of the few pre-bailout promises that was even partially fulfilled. Virtually every other promise Summers made in his letters turned out to be total bullshit. And that includes maybe the most important promise of all – the pledge to use the bailout money to put people back to work.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

it's been repeated 3 times in the state lk

you can try to be a little less pessimistic you know?

Donald J. Trump is President of the United States of America with the Democratic Party in opposition, and we have about 10 years to 180 as a species to save ourselves from global warming. :v:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Avirosb posted:

Money matter less than it used to, but it's only one part in a sophisticated two step system for getting elected.

First, make money. Second, don't run a garbagedick candidate.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

Donald J. Trump is President of the United States of America with the Democratic Party in opposition, and we have about 10 years to 180 as a species to save ourselves from global warming. :v:

it's been repeated 3 times since his election, and there's nothing much that trump's done that would piss off oklahomans. we're talking about a state that voted ford after he pardoned nixon's criminal bullshit

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

like, i dunno how you go from arguing "the south is too racist to vote for progressives!" to "donald trump is bringing the republican party down in the eyes of oklahomans!!"

it doesn't make a single bit of sense

border wall? racist oklahomans would love it

deporting dreamers? ditto

blocking people from entering the US cause they're too brown? ultra ditto

what's the thing trump did that would piss oklahoma off?

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

like, i dunno how you go from arguing "the south is too racist to vote for progressives!" to "donald trump is bringing the republican party down in the eyes of oklahomans!!"

it doesn't make a single bit of sense

It's possible for Donald Trump to make Republicans less popular but for Republicans to still win anyway because they're liked more than Democrats in Republican states, for example.

That said, when I said "elsewhere" I more so meant "other states." It being possible in Oklahoma is a good sign though.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Marxalot posted:

Money matter less than it used to, but it's only one part in a sophisticated two step system for getting elected.

First, make money. Second, don't run a garbagedick candidate.

So then how do you explain the Trump victory?
And Obama's before than, and so forth?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Lightning Knight posted:

It's possible for Donald Trump to make Republicans less popular but for Republicans to still win anyway because they're liked more than Democrats in Republican states, for example.

That said, when I said "elsewhere" I more so meant "other states." It being possible in Oklahoma is a good sign though.

oklahoma is a major republican state, steeped in patriotism, lots of military worship, etc.

hell, our current governor had her daughter living in a trailer home on the lawn of the state capitol for a period.

dems being electable here, when every drat county in the state has gone republican the past few presidential elections, and dems have slowly became extinct in the state government is an extremely good sign

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Avirosb posted:

Easy. In 2016 the DNC made lots of money, but ran a garbagedick candidate.

In 2008 and 2012 the DNC made lots of money, but did not run a garbagedick candidate.

Thanks and god bless.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Marxalot posted:

Easy. In 2016 the DNC made lots of money, but ran a garbagedick candidate.

In 2008 and 2012 the DNC made lots of money, but did not run a garbagedick candidate.

Thanks and god bless.

I know a couple of people ITT who would contest that second point.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Avirosb posted:

obama at least had a personality and knew he had to pander

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Avirosb posted:

But to answer more seriously, in 2016 the dems decided to run a right wing Establishment Candidate whose strategy was to appear at least socially left by screaming social leftist signifiers at every chance, and spreading propaganda that everyone who isn't her is a terrible *-ist who wants to execute everyone and set the World on fire.

All while the mood of the country as a whole was turning intensely anti-establishment. Hindsight is 20/20 and all, but it makes a lot of sense in retrospect.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

if hillary had won the primary in 2008 we may have had mccain/palin for president/vice president

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Avirosb posted:

Candidate, he wasn't a a garbagedick candidate.

Edit: The only thing Obama was good at doing was running for office

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

Condiv posted:

obama at least had a personality and knew he had to pander

Exactly, people tend to vote for those who makes the grandest promises. An idealist is always favorable to a nerd.
He became president...and then what happened?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Avirosb posted:

Candidate Obama was a loving perfect politician. Too bad he turned into President Obama.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Avirosb posted:

I'm inclined to agree with them in a lot of ways :v:

But when he was trying to get elected Obama was running on Hope and Change, and the public thought maybe the party was going to pull an about face after the Bush years and maybe even turn left. Close gitmo, get out of Iraq, etc.

Now what happened afterwards is another story.

MizPiz posted:

Candidate, he wasn't a a garbagedick candidate.

Edit: The only thing Obama was good at doing was running for office

Or I could have just empty quoted this and saved a lot of words. Welp.

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

WampaLord posted:

Candidate Obama was a loving perfect politician. Too bad he turned into President Obama.

I start to understand why American elections are as long as they are.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

"People deserve what they get for voting incorrectly, even if they themselves didn't vote for the bad candidate but live in areas where they are outnumbered or neither candidate cares about their interests" doesn't really speak to the compassionate nature of pragmatic politics. It reminds me of arguing with people here before 2016 in which they couldn't understand why you would do anything for younger Americans. Since they aren't going to vote for you in high enough numbers statistically in midterms they should be pragmatically ignored. The entire nature of that ideology is wait until people vote for you and then do what they want (maybe) which is so ludicrously backwards and it's clearly not working. At this point as Hillary is displaying, for many it's about punishing people that don't show sufficient faith in their betters rather than adapt to winning elections.

It was fuckin bizarre.

"Oh great <critical demographic>'s turnout has dropped. Now we can get more election-winning campaign donations by loving them over for the benefit of corporate donors!"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Condiv posted:

dems being electable here, when every drat county in the state has gone republican the past few presidential elections, and dems have slowly became extinct in the state government is an extremely good sign

It is.

I just want to know if Wisconsin is salvageable. My home town is in the process of resegregating the school system. It's very bad.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
ACA passed with 0 republican votes didn't it? Why do people keep saying the Dems needed to compromise? Their compromises got them gently caress all.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Fans posted:

ACA passed with 0 republican votes didn't it? Why do people keep saying the Dems needed to compromise? Their compromises got them gently caress all.

they had to compromise with blue dogs apparently

and yet dems still don't want medicare for all to be a litmus test, cause then we might lose our poor bluedogs who make us write lovely, compromised legislation :qq:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

The stimulus was poo poo though. It was one-third the size that economists recommended, and even that was tilted too far toward worthless non-stimulative tax cuts for the rich. It didn't loving work, so people concluded the stimulus was bad rather than realizing the actual problem: the stimulus was too small.

Look at the popular stuff that Obama didn't do (the first three)
Now look at the unpopular stuff Obama did do (the last two, although at least the auto bailout was locally popular and likely kept Michigan and Ohio in our column in 2012)

"But what about the stimulus"
Not big enough
"Obama helped homeowners, what about HAMP?"
lol

Yeah, the stimulus is too small. Obama knew this, and so did the financial eggheads. But the key part was actually having it get enough support to pass the house. Too big a price tag and it would be voted down, so by necessity he had to make the bailout smaller than what was actually needed. Again, better have a small improvement than a massive disaster.

And yeah, bailing out the auto and bank industries is unpopular, but guess what, that saved jobs and the economy. It needed to be done, or the economy would melt down faster and more people would be out of work.

Could he realistically have done more to help the actual poor people? I don't know. Certainly not if it needed bipartisan support, because GOP would have told him to gently caress off. I will say that his willingness to extend the olive branch and compromise with the GOP in some sort of mistaken belief of bipartisanship was pretty loving stupid, and he should have snapped out of that poo poo way sooner than he actually did.

But saying the stimulus didn't work is not true. it DID work. It mitigated the damage and prevented a lot of jobs being lost. So again, Obama is hamstrung by the GOP/blue dog democrats, and he pays the price for it. A constant theme during his presidency.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Condiv posted:

and yet dems still don't want medicare for all to be a litmus test, cause then we might lose our poor bluedogs who make us write lovely, compromised legislation :qq:

They needed to compromise with turds like Lieberman, who alone did tremendous damage to the ACA. But again, it was a big improvement.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

VitalSigns posted:

It was fuckin bizarre.

"Oh great <critical demographic>'s turnout has dropped. Now we can get more election-winning campaign donations by loving them over for the benefit of corporate donors!"

Seriously. You say "Younger people are drowning in debt before they enter the job market, which alone should cause widespread outrage, and can't afford to start families because even if they get hired those jobs are horribly underpaid." and the response would be something like "if we do anything that implies we are going left we will lose out on our important white middle class suburban voters and the youth won't vote anyway so it's not worth helping them." Then they lose massively anyway while signalling that they actually don't give a poo poo about helping anyone and are just in it for political wins.

Even if it was the Pragmatic thing to do (which it clearly wasn't) you are sacrificing your party's entire future because these people aren't going to suddenly start liking you when they turn 35 and are still hosed over by your lovely half backed compromises.

Condiv posted:

Even Manchin is turning on this which makes Pelosi's comment even more stupid.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

McCloud posted:

They needed to compromise with turds like Lieberman, who alone did tremendous damage to the ACA. But again, it was a big improvement.

maybe we should make single-payer a litmus test then so we can't have tremendously damaging turds like lieberman in our party (and as potential veeps)

• Locked thread