Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer
yay just press 3 for a while

edit: gently caress nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

doggo

https://i.imgur.com/8VSGKHz.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Yes, but people were wondering why other people would read Rand's books when they were boring. It's because they are political manifestos and the people reading them are doing so for that reason.

They are technically novels, but nobody is reading Rand for the really fleshed out characters. Just like nobody is going into Das Kapital with the expectation that they are going to get a riveting character arc from a lovable protagonist.

Oh, I get it, misunderstood. Yeah, ideology and the rapey protagonist is the big draw I'm sure.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Looking forward at the centrist tone police in the press going wild over inappropriate politization of tragedy.
Oh, wait, standards only apply to non-Republicans.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

OddObserver posted:

Looking forward at the centrist tone police in the press going wild over inappropriate politization of tragedy.
Oh, wait, standards only apply to non-Republicans.

Standards haven't applied to Trump for 2 years.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

No Butt Stuff posted:

So either they're contributing to that 91% or they've just admitted how little content they actually contribute to the news cycle.

Monday at the gym fox had "violent antifa thugs, and "shut up, hillary" coverage. No trump stuff.

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

mcmagic posted:

Standards haven't applied to Trump for 2 years.

Trump is actually standard repellent. He's applauded for even noticing that a standard exists, somewhere.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dietrich posted:

Trump is actually standard repellent. He's applauded for even noticing that a standard exists, somewhere.

Trump managed to read his teleprompter! Although he still got it a bit wrong and added a "SAD!" to the end of the sentence. How presidential!

e: Trump is truly the most presidential because he embodies "anyone can become president" by proving that the most incompetent, unfit for the task person can be elected. (So long as you have a lot of money and lie a ton.)

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 13, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Oxyclean posted:

Trump managed to read his teleprompter! Although he still got it a bit wrong and added a "SAD!" to the end of the sentence. How presidential!

e: Trump is truly the most presidential because he embodies "anyone can become president" by proving that the most incompetent, unfit for the task person can be elected. (So long as you have a lot of money and lie a ton.)

Senator Kid Rock might have something to say about that.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
https://twitter.com/CFPetrella/status/907979649627693056

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/907982113885917185

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I don't get why TD keeps going off on how Muslims hate dogs. Like, I wonder where that originated.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

enraged_camel posted:

I don't get why TD keeps going off on how Muslims hate dogs. Like, I wonder where that originated.

Isn't Trump the first President in over 100 years to not have a dog?

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Monday at the gym fox had "violent antifa thugs, and "shut up, hillary" coverage. No trump stuff.

propaganda arm of the republican party is doing it's part.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

enraged_camel posted:

The Hadiths say that Muslims should not keep "unclean" animals in their homes. It lays out that the biggest spreaders of disease are rats, dogs, and pigs.

Therefore, lots of Muslims still interpret that to mean that dogs are "unclean" and it is generally frowned upon to have them as pets.

There's also a lot of emphasis on living a life that emulates the Prophet Mohammed (this is why growing a beard is considered a sign of religiosity) and Mohammed had a cat, but turned down the chance to own a dog.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 13, 2017

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Reik posted:

I'm fairly sure it's because any dog that gets near him instantly bares its teeth and gets all aggressive. Animals sense evil.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

mcmagic posted:

People aren't nearly as outraged by upward income redistribution as they should be.

Because the GOP has been incredibly successful at convincing middle class whites that the poor brown people below them are the reason they're not moving up instead of the billionaires above them.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/907986787284471808

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Moatman posted:

I don't really think anyone "enjoys" Ayn Rand's writing, TBH. Even her devotees.

The odds are high that anyone that describes themselves as Ayn Rand devotees have probably never read anything ayn rand

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

There's also a lot of emphasis on living a life that emulates the Prophet Mohammed (this is also why growing a beard is considered a sign of religiosity) and Mohammed had a cat, but turned down the chance to own a dog.

Supposedly, Mohammed even cut off the sleeve of one of his robes rather than wake up the cat who was sleeping on it.

Something that I'm sure anyone who has ever so much as been around a cat can sympathize with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

enraged_camel posted:

Only thing I can think of is that Mohammed was famously a cat lover. According to one story, he cut the sleeve off his favorite prayer robe because his cat was sleeping on it and he didn't want to wake the kitty up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

It's loving dangerous to give Trump any kind of bipartisan legitimacy even if it is completely unmoored from policy.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Cythereal posted:

Only thing I can think of is that Mohammed was famously a cat lover. According to one story, he cut the sleeve off his favorite prayer robe because his cat was sleeping on it and he didn't want to wake the kitty up.

Funny, I also heard that one about the Emperor of China and his boyfriend. Which came first?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cut_Sleeve

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

botany posted:

it's more than that. if you reduce the political / philosophical parts of her books to just that, it become obvious how dumb and bare-bones the whole thing is. the narrative helps to cover that up. it also helps people interpret deeper meanings into a text, or at the very least evokes the idea that behind the dime-store novel front, there has to be a deeper meaning hidden somewhere. people are way more attracted to thought couched in narrative form than to thought in the form of a non-fiction argumentative text. there's a reason that thus spoke zarathustra is the most-read nietzsche book by far, even though i can absolutely guarantee you that you won't understand it unless you've read his more conventional books.

It is however better than the "novel" Ishmael, which is literally just a series of essays that an ape reads to the reader.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Reik posted:

Well, now, this led to some interesting reading:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_pets

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's loving dangerous to give Trump any kind of bipartisan legitimacy even if it is completely unmoored from policy.

Nancy and Chuck are pretty smart though.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mcmagic posted:

It's the one thing that's making Republicans turn on Trump, so it's worth it.

People looking for "bipartisan legitimacy" have shown repeatedly that they will find it regardless of reality.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

i am harry posted:

Nancy and Chuck are pretty smart though.

Lets wait until they score an actual policy or political victory.

Deteriorata posted:

It's the one thing that's making Republicans turn on Trump, so it's worth it.

People looking for "bipartisan legitimacy" have shown repeatedly that they will find it regardless of reality.

Where is the proof of that?

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
At worst it sands off the further rat gently caress Trump's Congress can do. At best, it destroys his support even more than it is already crumbling and sets Trump up to further attack possibly even his base and the people that do his job, because Trump hates mean things said to him, regardless of whomever is saying it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Lets wait until they score an actual policy or political victory.

Where is the proof of that?

What it took for Republicans finally to feel betrayed by Trump

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

These are just a few quotes from DC idiots, not proof that his voters actually care.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Schumer and Pelosi could be taking a page from Russia's playbook and be aiming for discord instead of a specific policy goal. If they get legislative wins out of cozying up to Trump, awesome. If all they get is further driving a wedge between him and Congressional Republicans, that's fine too.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Xand_Man posted:

Schumer and Pelosi could be taking a page from Russia's playbook and be aiming for discord instead of a specific policy goal. If they get legislative wins out of cozying up to Trump, awesome. If all they get is further driving a wedge between him and Congressional Republicans, that's fine too.

Why do they get the benefit of the doubt though? Congressional Dems should probably be viewed as clueless fools unless proven otherwise.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

trump looks open for a deal on the dream act (and has suggested he will NOT demand the wall in return) so you really gotta privately chat with him on that

chatting with him privately over dinner is about as little bipartisan cover as it is possible to give him

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
It's honestly the best use of their talents in the dems current minority position, these two are the moderates that cut deals and Trump is desperate for praise and love from the media at large. Why else would he keep screaming about fake news and how small his good boy propaganda folders that tell him how great he is are if he wasn't? You use his addiction for that against his side and you dismantle the GOP.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

The Hadiths say that Muslims should not keep "unclean" animals in their homes. It lays out that the biggest spreaders of disease are rats, dogs, and pigs.

Therefore, lots of Muslims still interpret that to mean that dogs are "unclean" and it is generally frowned upon to have them as pets.

There's also a lot of emphasis on living a life that emulates the Prophet Mohammed (this is why growing a beard is considered a sign of religiosity) and Mohammed had a cat, but turned down the chance to own a dog.

Very interesting.

I was born and raised in Turkey and that's actually the first time I'm hearing about this. Everyone I know there loves dogs, many keep dogs as pets, others take care of stray dogs and leave food/water outside for them during hot days and blankets during cold days and stuff. Of course Turkey is very moderate, but Ottomans, who were devout Muslims, reportedly took very good care of street animals (including dogs) as well.

TD is just being TD I guess

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Trump's famously an intense germophobe. No surprise he doesn't have pets.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Crabtree posted:

It's honestly the best use of their talents in the dems current minority position, these two are the moderates that cut deals and Trump is desperate for praise and love from the media at large. Why else would he keep screaming about fake news and how small his good boy propaganda folders that tell him how great he is are if he wasn't? You use his addiction for that against his side and you dismantle the GOP.

Maybe Trump really will cripple the GOP into non-existence like we all thought he would post-2016.

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

mcmagic posted:

These are just a few quotes from DC idiots, not proof that his voters actually care.

Maybe you should get some coffee. You forgot that voters aren't the ones who can impeach him.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Crabtree posted:

Wishful thinking until there are actual electoral implications on the federal level.

Tir McDohl posted:

Maybe you should get some coffee. You forgot that voters aren't the ones who can impeach him.

Republicans aren't impeaching him. Ever. No matter what he does. Period. If you want him impeached, win the house in 2018.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Also Oblammo once said he tried dog when traveling to some country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

enraged_camel posted:

Very interesting.

I was born and raised in Turkey and that's actually the first time I'm hearing about this. Everyone I know there loves dogs, many keep dogs as pets, others take care of stray dogs and leave food/water outside for them during hot days and blankets during cold days and stuff. Of course Turkey is very moderate, but Ottomans, who were devout Muslims, reportedly took very good care of street animals (including dogs) as well.

TD is just being TD I guess

Yes, It's mostly just TD being racist and dumb.

There is a real stigma against owning dogs amongst many muslims, but it isn't like they have roving dog executioner squads.

You aren't supposed to keep dogs in your house, but some people (idiots in TD and some idiotic imams) think that this means that they are the devil. It's the same as the weird belief that because pigs are unclean that a muslim will explode into ashes if they touch bacon.

• Locked thread