Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Majorian posted:

I think there's a lot of truth to this, but that still leaves a lot of ground for progressive candidates to play around in. "Medicare For All" still needs to have a lot of details hammered out, but it's both aspirational and inspirational, and it's a hell of a lot more believable than most of the poo poo Trump promised.

It's also *simple* and we need to be able to sell our ideas to people who couldn't define "single payer" if their lives depended on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hillary would have been a great politician for a different era of politics.

she would have been the perfect democratic candidate in 2004.

unfortunately for her some young senator from illinois caught the wave and her being bad at campaigning in 2007, and politics did some changing over the next 8 years.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Like her or don't like her, it's possible to hate something after being over-exposed to it.

I'm just so sick of all these primary chats...

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

I think there's a lot of truth to this, but that still leaves a lot of ground for progressive candidates to play around in. "Medicare For All" still needs to have a lot of details hammered out, but it's both aspirational and inspirational, and it's a hell of a lot more believable than most of the poo poo Trump promised.

Very much so. And really I think the approach would be to not promise it, but make it loud and clear that you will work towards it. Compromise isn't great, it's the nature of compromise, but until the progressive-left wing has a large enough majority of congress, the presidency, and the SCOTUS, that is more likely to happen than not.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

axeil posted:

I think Hillary Clinton is a great woman+politician and The Tragedy of Hillary will be something we look back on in shame and admit that all the hatred of her was due to sexism.

I am sorry that you cannot accept that there are actually people who like Hillary.

Cool, but I'm not really sure what she has to do with US Politics ityool 2017.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

axeil posted:

:stare:

Really?

Really?

We still have people in this thread (and all other past iterations of USPol and in the toxic waste dump that is the Dems thread) making GBS threads all over Clinton for not being progressive enough and not being a true champion for change, etc, etc. How do you think that well got poisoned?

When she sent out her daughter to lie and say bernie was going to rip away everyone's healthcare, and she said single payer would never ever happen, and when she said ppaca was fine and just needed a few tweaks but listed nothing that was truly helpful, she poisoned that well on her own.

Bernie didn't make her change-allergic by proposing singlepayer.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Christ, take it to the bad thread

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
She literally said that Bernie didn't respect her. She's delusional.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Spun Dog posted:

Like her or don't like her, it's possible to hate something after being over-exposed to it.

I'm just so sick of all these primary chats...

Well, you can thank axeil for that gift :shrug:

Condiv
May 7, 2008

With love,
a mod

Gort posted:

Christ, take it to the bad thread

I don't think axeil is interested in that

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

axeil posted:

We talking all Americans or just Presidents?

I've got the POTUS list

5) LBJ - huge rear end in a top hat, but fought for and signed the civil rights act, knowing it would cost him/his party dearly because it was the right thing to do
4) Obama - would be higher on the list but not enough time has passed
3) Ike - good dude and did a lot of work. I have ties to Gettysburg where he's still a legend and learned a lot about his non-Presidency stuff
2) Lincoln - saved the Republic, also a guy with a lot of demons who is really sympathetic on a personal level and I relate to a lot
1) FDR - saved us from complete ruination and also led us to war against the Nazis

As for non-POTUS people in no particular order:

Bob Ross
Fred Rogers
Jim Henson
My Grandpa (fought in WW2 and was career Army, went from being a high school dropout to a college graduate and history teacher and the person I learned my leftism from)
Frederick Douglas

See I think this is fascinating and actually a productive way to have "grandpa" chat.

One of my reasons for asking is, I think in contempory politics we often get stuck in the moment, and I think Clinton will be an obvious bit of history but I don't see what talking about her will accomplish now, the entire thing rings hollow to me because if she was really interested in helping I would think we'd hear what needs to be done next rather than what is apparently an entire book of navel gazing.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

Very much so. And really I think the approach would be to not promise it, but make it loud and clear that you will work towards it. Compromise isn't great, it's the nature of compromise, but until the progressive-left wing has a large enough majority of congress, the presidency, and the SCOTUS, that is more likely to happen than not.

Oh sure, it would be pretty dumb to promise today that single payer will be fully implemented a year from now. It's gonna be a fight, and it won't be a short one. But it's a great thing to tie to elections: "Want Medicare For All? Yeah, drat right you do. So vote these chucklefucks out of power, vote in these candidates, and let's make this happen."

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

axeil posted:

while yes, she's right that it doesn't influence policy, that isn't why people don't like it.

this is a fuckin laugh riot right here bud

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Primary chat has imploded onto itself and we have now reverted to 2006 Connecticut Primary Chat.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

axeil posted:

:stare:

Really?

Really?

We still have people in this thread (and all other past iterations of USPol and in the toxic waste dump that is the Dems thread) making GBS threads all over Clinton for not being progressive enough and not being a true champion for change, etc, etc. How do you think that well got poisoned?

And of course the GOP was gonna do it but it makes a hell of a lot of difference if Fox News is saying that versus the supposed most-leftist major politician in America saying it.

He hardly manufactured that charge out of thin air, nor was he the first to make it. Does she seriously claim that those charges wouldn't have dogged her if Sanders hadn't run? He was a protest candidate who should have been a footnote like O'Malley, except that people were already wary of accepting the original third-way neoliberal ghost of the 90s.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Hillary would have been a great politician for a different era of politics.

She would have easily extended the neoliberal era for another term or two beyond Obama, even as everything continued to fall apart and with all republicans having gone rabid.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Good editorial by Sanders on universal healthcare in the NY Times today

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/907955289239969792

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

axeil posted:

Nah mostly in how she (rightfully) really loving hates Bernie and points out all the little insidious things he did that undermined her. To make an analogy he was basically a little kid holding his hand in front of your face saying "I'm not touching you! I'm not touching you!" and people fell for that excuse/explanation. And also how she points out sexism was a major contributing factor to why she lost even though no one admits it.

gently caress Bernie Sanders

Oh lol. So him being far less bad then she was to Obama is now the worst thing ever right? Did he tell her that he expected a part in her cabinet unless she didn't want his endorsement? Did he start a rumor that she wasn't born in the USA? No. Although she did all of that to Obama.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
https://twitter.com/LailaLalami/status/908001713226899456

Phoenix New Times posted:

On a hot Wednesday in June, Manuel Rodriguez-Juarez, a 33-year-old landscaper, got into an argument with his live-in girlfriend. While he waited for her to cool down, he decided to check into a $45-a-night room at a nearby Motel 6 on Maryvale’s southern fringe.

The front-desk clerk told him that he needed to show identification in order to reserve a room. Rodriguez-Juarez handed over the only thing he had — a Mexican voter ID card.

Six hours later, he was lying on the bed, watching TV, when he heard a knock at the door. He opened it. Three agents from Immigrations and Customs Enforcement were waiting for him. When asked, Rodriguez-Juarez admitted that he wasn’t authorized to be in the United States. He’s currently being held at the immigration detention center in Florence while his lawyer, Juan Rocha, tries to get him asylum.

While the case is pending, Rocha is trying to figure out something that’s been bothering him: Did someone at Motel 6 tip off ICE? There's certainly reason to think so.

A Phoenix New Times review of court records found that between February and August, ICE agents made at least 20 arrests at Motel 6s, showing up roughly every two weeks. (Since many of the documents we reviewed contained only vague details about where ICE encountered an individual, the actual number is likely even higher.) All took place at one of two Motel 6 locations: 4130 North Black Canyon Highway or 1530 North 52nd Drive. Both are in predominantly Latino neighborhoods.

The statement of probable cause for Rodriguez-Juarez's case filed with the U.S. District Court is vague, noting briefly that ICE officers were “following a lead.” And Department of Homeland Security records state only that ICE’s Phoenix Mobile Criminal Alien Team Unit had “received information that Rodriguez-Juarez was checked into room #214.”

“I’m thinking to myself, how would they know that?” Rocha said. “The client said he gave them a Mexican ID card — but there’s people who visit the U.S. all the time who have Mexican IDs. How does that establish that you’re here without authorization?”

Unofficially, though, employees at both locations said it was standard practice to share guest information with ICE. “We send a report every morning to ICE — all the names of everybody that comes in,” one front-desk clerk explained. “Every morning at about 5 o’clock, we do the audit and we push a button and it sends it to ICE.”

Yasmeen Pitts O’Keefe, a spokesperson for ICE’s Phoenix division, declined to comment on whether the agency is in the habit of reviewing hotel guest lists, or investigating tips sent in by Motel 6 employees. “I wouldn’t be able to confirm how we are getting our information. Those are investigative techniques that we wouldn’t be able to talk about,” she said. “If hypothetically we were somewhere — if we did administratively arrest some folks — that happens all the time. We conduct targeted enforcement operations every day.”

Naturally, rumors run rampant. Denise Aguilar, a Chandler-based immigration attorney, said that one of her clients is currently being held in ICE custody alongside several others who were detained at the same Motel 6. “They have heard (no telling how valid the info is) that ICE is paying $200 per person for the front-desk clerk to report,” she wrote in an email.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 13, 2017

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Going back a bit, I do think that the National Park Service* does a good job of contextualizing American history and trying to place events and people into the context of the time, celebrating their achievements without forgetting their failings. These discussions are something the Park Service are all very much aware of, and if you go to sites like Mount Vernon or Monticello expecting a whitewashed narrative you're usually going to be very pleasantly surprised.

Also, for the record, my top five Presidents (No particular order):

LBJ: Had a number of terrible faults, and did the most to get the US stuck in the Vietnam War, but no other president ever had his singular devotion and dedication towards eradicating poverty and embracing civil rights.
FDR: Saved the country from the Great Depression and was a capable leader in World War II. Can't get much better than that.
Lincoln: Pretend I just quoted the entire Gettysburg Address
Washington: It's hard to imagine the US would have succeeded without his leadership, either during the Revolutionary War or in the early days of the Republic. (Also, while he did own slaves, at least he freed them after his death, real sacrifice george unlike Jefferson)
TR: Transformed the very fabric of the federal government, putting it to work protecting people through organizations like the FDA and protecting the nation's resources through his vast expansion of the burgeoning National Park System (Though it wouldn't become a real agency until 1916).

*Full disclosure, I am currently interning for the Park Service and as such might be marginally biased

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

Oh sure, it would be pretty dumb to promise today that single payer will be fully implemented a year from now. It's gonna be a fight, and it won't be a short one. But it's a great thing to tie to elections: "Want Medicare For All? Yeah, drat right you do. So vote these chucklefucks out of power, vote in these candidates, and let's make this happen."

While I certainly agree on one level, I've got a cynical enough view of the general public that if you run on that but don't win enough, they'll blame you for not achieving it even though you couldn't.

It's a big part of why I'm not in favor of running on that as a platform in 2018.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chomskyan posted:

Good editorial by Sanders on universal healthcare in the NY Times today

https://twitter.com/SenSanders/status/907955289239969792

Hillary Clinton said we would "never have Single Payer" well, the majority of the democrats in the senate including all the top 2020 candidates are signing on to it. The party has passed her by.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I don't stay at Motel 6's, but I really won't be staying there now.:stare:

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Paradoxish posted:

This is technically correct, but I feel like this argument is always a little bit disingenuous. Canada and Taiwan are the only countries with true, full single-payer systems, but several more developed nations have forms of single-payer hybridized with private insurance. Like it's technically true that the UK doesn't have a 100% single-payer system, but it's a wonky point to make that won't meaningfully matter to most people. A free-at-point-of-care public system that could meet the needs of most people would satisfy just about everyone agitating for some form of UHC, even if the private health insurance industry continued to exist alongside it. Calling it single-payer as a matter of branding is fine, I think.

You can't have single payer hybridized with private insurance. Single payer healthcare means that there is one single payer for all heath care. There are no copays, deductibles, coinsurance, premiums or any form of cost sharing. If implemented on a Federal level there can be no State or Local expenditures on health care. if on a State level there can be no Federal expenditures, this is why there is demands to block grant Medicare in the California Single Payer bill. The Minnesota single payer bill goes further and demands VA block grants and Federal divestiture of all VHA facilities in Minnesota. No one really cares how this is going to work with Snowbirds or VISN 23 vets that live outside of Minnesota but receive their care at the Minneapolis or Duluth VA hospitals. Thankfully we don't have a large military population or who knows how MHS would be handled.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

And yet somehow every "paranoid about the GUBBERMENT" type will be strangely silent about this.

karthun posted:

You can't have single payer hybridized with private insurance. Single payer healthcare means that there is one single payer for all heath care. There are no copays, deductibles, coinsurance, premiums or any form of cost sharing. If implemented on a Federal level there can be no State or Local expenditures on health care. if on a State level there can be no Federal expenditures, this is why there is demands to block grant Medicare in the California Single Payer bill. The Minnesota single payer bill goes further and demands VA block grants and Federal divestiture of all VHA facilities in Minnesota. No one really cares how this is going to work with Snowbirds or VISN 23 vets that live outside of Minnesota but receive their care at the Minneapolis or Duluth VA hospitals. Thankfully we don't have a large military population or who knows how MHS would be handled.

Most "single payer" countries have nominal bills for services. Many of them also have supplemental insurance from private payers for niceties like cosmetic surgery, private rooms, etc. I don't think there is any country in the world where 100% of all medical services are paid for by the government.

Xae fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 13, 2017

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Someone should sue.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hillary Clinton's take on the Standing Rock protesters was that both sides needed to come together and respect each other's safety when one side was peacefully protesting an oil line coming through their territory since the neighboring white town when NIMBY on it and the other was shooting people's arms off with freezing water cannons and using attack dogs. I don't need to consider Hillary's gender to know that's poo poo.

I voted for her rear end because gently caress Trump but she sucks and saying the only reason you could have that opinion is because she's a woman is disgusting. If you like Hillary Clinton you are free to do it but don't give me that 2016 primary bullshit that the only reason people have a problem with her is because they are sexist.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Carter was actually a pretty terrible president, objectively speaking. Nice guy, but wholely unsuited for the office.

Absolutely, but he told America to turn down the thermostat and put on a sweater, which automatically puts him leaps and bounds ahead of nearly every other politician before or since

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

mcmagic posted:

Hillary Clinton said we would "never have Single Payer" well, the majority of the democrats in the senate including all the top 2020 candidates are signing on to it. The party has passed her by.

Except it is a completely empty thing they are signing on to. It has less than 0% chance of going anywhere no matter how many Democrats sign on.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

i never understood the "but it's part of our history" argument, or rather i never understood why the counter to it wasn't "okay, then let's just replace them with monuments that accurately portrait that history". i mean, we have holocaust monuments in germany, they just don't, you know, celebrate that the holocaust happened. it's part of our history, it's important to remember, but for the right reasons please. therefore these monuments are somber places, with inscriptions or short movies that inform visitors about what happened. there, best of both worlds. the US still has monuments, but ones that don't celebrate slavery. has this ever been proposed?

for many americans history is not a quasiobjective, scientific discipline in the humanities which determines truths about the human condition

for many americans history is a political statement and one which articulates a self-identity

i'm sure this is true around the world but i can only speak for americans. if you look at any dumb facebook slapfight about confederate statues you'll see plenty of middle aged approaching old age rural white americans aggressively asserting in poorly formed english that the people who disagree with them need to study their history better. plenty of folks who haven't seen a classroom in decades will describe themselves as amateur historians while making just hellishly ignorant arguments. history is among the most political of the humanities and the articulation of racist and incorrect folk history is an essential component of syncretic white american identity

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
also i'm against removing statues of thomas jefferson because we have very few statues of neurodivergent persons and he was definitely on the autism spectrum

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

While I certainly agree on one level, I've got a cynical enough view of the general public that if you run on that but don't win enough, they'll blame you for not achieving it even though you couldn't.

That's not the lesson I've learned from observing the far right, though. The House Republicans have voted to repeal Obamacare more than 50 times at this point, and none of those attempts have been successful, but that hasn't dimmed the enthusiasm of their base. Indeed, their continuing to beat the drum has helped put them in control of the entire government. Really the only reason why the ACA has survived the last few months is that Trump is literally the most inept politician this country has ever seen.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

bastards

boycott Motel 6 and Studio 6 if you're not already

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Khisanth Magus posted:

Except it is a completely empty thing they are signing on to. It has less than 0% chance of going anywhere no matter how many Democrats sign on.

I'd say marginally greater than zero, but only because it's really hard to say that it's impossible Donald Trump will wake up tomorrow morning and [do thing]. :v:

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Majorian posted:

That's not the lesson I've learned from observing the far right, though. The House Republicans have voted to repeal Obamacare more than 50 times at this point, and none of those attempts have been successful, but that hasn't dimmed the enthusiasm of their base. Indeed, their continuing to beat the drum has helped put them in control of the entire government. Really the only reason why the ACA has survived the last few months is that Trump is literally the most inept politician this country has ever seen.

That runs along with the comment I made earlier regarding regressive voters. That and they could blame the Secret Muslim President.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I'd say marginally greater than zero, but only because it's really hard to say that it's impossible Donald Trump will wake up tomorrow morning and [do thing]. :v:

Has to get past congress first. Which I guess there is probably something like 0.000001% chance that enough GOP senators and representatives could die in some way before the vote on it and have democrats win special elections to replace them, in states where the governors don't just replace them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Condiv posted:

one problem is that apparently lieberman used the perks the dems handed to him (during the general election no less) to sell himself to voters. he was campaigning on the fact that he would have more seniority than lamont if he got into office, that he would keep all his influence and would be better able to represent connecticut and bring it more perks and benefits because of it. that very well could've tilted the election away from lamont. as i said, the dems brought lieberman's healthcare treachery upon themselves when they rewarded the first instance of it (and clapped for the slimeball when he came back as an independent)

Didn't respond to this earlier because I was looking into it, but as far as I can tell (there are not many examples), seniority is preserved when you switch parties. I don't know if it would have been up to Reid or not, but it looks like that's how it's normally done.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Do we not all agree that Hillary Clinton was terrible yet? This book she just released ought to be the final nail in the coffin.

Like rationalize it however you want. Hindsight is 20/20 and so on. If you supported her over Sanders in the 2016 primary because you thought she was the better choice at the time then I don't think we should linger on that. But to support her now, in September 2017? With the way she's attacking Sanders (and many others) and blaming him for her loss, even though he rallied behind her after the primary? Even though Sanders has made no such attacks against her and is trying to help unite the democratic party, despite embarrassing setbacks like the DNC Chair Election? Even though these attacks on Sanders are raising the specter of the 2016 primary and further dividing the Democratic base, setting the stage for failure in 2018? It's incomprehensible to me.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Xae posted:

Most "single payer" countries have nominal bills for services. Many of them also have supplemental insurance from private payers for niceties like cosmetic surgery, private rooms, etc. I don't think there is any country in the world where 100% of all medical services are paid for by the government.

Here is the line in the Minnesota bill.
code:
Subd. 6. No cost-sharing. No deductible, co-payment, coinsurance, or other cost-sharing shall be imposed with respect to covered benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Taerkar posted:

That runs along with the comment I made earlier regarding regressive voters. That and they could blame the Secret Muslim President.

It makes it easier for the HFC that their constituents are a bunch of smoothbrains, no question, but I don't think Democratic voters are so different that they would punish earnest-but-failed efforts at popular legislation. Plus it's not like Trump isn't as big a target for Democratic voters as Obama was for Republicans.(unfair and loony though their hatred of him was) The bottom line, imo, is that the Dems need promise big, sweeping changes if they get elected, and then make it clear to voters that the Republicans are why we can't have nice things. Right now, that isn't as clear to voters as it needs to be - in the mind of a lot of Democratic voters, prominent Democratic leaders are also why we can't have nice things. See, for example, Pelosi whiffing on the Medicare For All question recently.

• Locked thread