Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

My (26f) husband (27m) thinks it's unreasonable for me to expect him not to tickle me and continually touch me in ways that make me feel uncomfortable.

So, officer, what I was doing was just holding her down and not allowing her any form of escape even as she begged for me to let her go, so you see how unreasonable it is that she would HIT me in that situation!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Buzkashi posted:

So, officer, what I was doing was just holding her down and not allowing her any form of escape even as she begged for me to let her go, so you see how unreasonable it is that she would HIT me in that situation!

this would probably fly in a lot of the middle of the US, unironically

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Mirthless stop loving posting. Nobody gives a poo poo about your personal life or your terrible viewpoints on everything. Start posting comics or something, goddamn.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Mirthless stop loving posting. Nobody gives a poo poo about your personal life or your terrible viewpoints on everything. Start posting comics or something, goddamn.

lol

turn on your monitor

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

this isn't that one, because it's one of the recurring r/relationships threads that's happening every day

My (26f) husband (27m) thinks it's unreasonable for me to expect him not to tickle me and continually touch me in ways that make me feel uncomfortable.

Stay with this guy, he's a keeper. He's respectful, kind, thoughtful, and always takes your needs and words into consideration. I'm sure he just started doing this, as well, because you'd definitely never marry him if this bizarre controlling and abusive behavior was a feature of your relationship prior to your marriage. If anything, it sounds like he's under a lot of stress right now so the best thing to do would be open the relationship and have a child.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Admiral Ray posted:

Stay with this guy, he's a keeper. He's respectful, kind, thoughtful, and always takes your needs and words into consideration. I'm sure he just started doing this, as well, because you'd definitely never marry him if this bizarre controlling and abusive behavior was a feature of your relationship prior to your marriage. If anything, it sounds like he's under a lot of stress right now so the best thing to do would be open the relationship and have a child.

great news: they already had a kid together! they're half-way there!

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Mirthless posted:

great news: they already had a kid together! they're half-way there!

Excellent! I'm glad they are working through their issues in a healthy way, and the safe money is on them staying together forever because she's secure in her relationship and he respond well to her needs.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

My love language is forcibly trapping people in D&D mazes.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

my love language is posting on the forums

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
My love language is treating my dick like a flagpole and claiming ownership of whoever I plant it in.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

cumshitter posted:

My love language is treating my dick like a flagpole and claiming ownership of whoever I plant it in.

Ah, the Mickey Avalon technique.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Mirthless posted:

The difference between an rear end in a top hat and a racist is culture and history*
This discounts the fact that racists and assholes exist contemporarily, regardless of the time period in question.

Like, to suggest a woman would never do the same to a man is silly, so there's clearly a motivator to this gross behavior that isn't misogyny, even if misogyny is definitely a common motivation for it. Maybe I'm missing other indicators that misogyny is definitely the motivator in this case?

Multilake
Dec 11, 2016

If you're in a jam, a crayon scrunched under your nose makes a good pretend moustache.

Admiral Ray posted:

Ah, the Mickey Avalon technique.

A beautiful symphony mixing the two well known songs "My dick" and "F***in Em All".

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Slugworth posted:

This discounts the fact that racists and assholes exist contemporarily, regardless of the time period in question.

Like, to suggest a woman would never do the same to a man is silly, so there's clearly a motivator to this gross behavior that isn't misogyny, even if misogyny is definitely a common motivation for it. Maybe I'm missing other indicators that misogyny is definitely the motivator in this case?

I don't think there really are any. I don't see anything to indicate misogyny; the guy can be an idiotic weenie without being a misogynist. For Drag's question on if it really matters if he's being misogynistic or just being an idiot and ending up at the same place being misogynist could lead, I dunno. It seems arbitrary to me, but branding the dude like this and then insisting it's true because "historical context" seems just as arbitrary.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
"99% of people hung up on their ex are men" is also maybe the most fascinating made up statistic I've ever seen.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Slugworth posted:

hahahahahahahahah what in the loving world are you even trying to say here???

quote:

nobody suggested that so maybe you should slow down there my dude

misogyny is definitely the motivator in this case because he is viewing his ex girlfriend as an object to please him rather than a human being with her own needs and desires. even after ten years of being apart he will not release this object he wishes to possess to another man.

can women do things like this? yes. are they more likely than men to do this? well, the census doesn't track this data but one gender in our society has been traditionally treated like property and it's not men

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 13, 2017

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
[California] A friend [22 M] of mine might have had sex with a 17 year old but she's turning 18 in a few days. If her parents file charges AFTER she's 18, can he be convicted of anything?

quote:

He's trying to tell me that they can't do anything after she's 18 but I told him not to risk such a stupid thing. My parents are getting suspicious though because they have a relationship together and I think they might call the police on him. However, she's turning 18 in a few days so this should only be considered when she's 18 and if the law can do anything.

Legal advice rightly assumed that OP was the "friend" and did some digging to find this from less than a year ago, bolding mine.

Girlfriend wants to become a teacher. Does her undergrad school matter since you only need a license? Should she pick UCLA or UNLV?

quote:

If she picks UCLA, we can't be together for at least 4 straight years. If she picks UNLV, we can be together. And we've been together for 5 years now so it is pretty serious and thus does matter, but I wouldn't want to ruin her future if picking UNLV is what it meant.

However, I'm thinking that she doesn't need to go to UCLA because she just needs a license to teach and it's not like getting hired as a teacher is like getting into med school or whatever super competitive thing (don't take that offensively).

Which would you say?

I would say you're a pedophile bro.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mirthless posted:

hahahahahahahahah what in the loving world

are you saying misogynists are a new thing???????
Is there anyone in this thread other than Mirthless that somehow got that from what I wrote? Honestly can't decide if he can't read or I can't write.

Both?!

Because to me it's clear that what I'm saying is racists have always existed alongside assholes, not that one species evolved into the other. Thus, we can talk all we want about culture and history, but this guy has an equal chance of being the world's worst misogynist or, you know, a person hung up on their ex.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

17 and 12 is not a good look, no.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
The motivation is obviously that he's jealous, which transcends gender and has nothing to do with him hating women.

Where misogyny (possibly) enters into it is where he feels justified in his jealousy, because our culture encourages men to think of female friends as backup girlfriends and celebrates male possessiveness (c.f. like every romcom ever) so he's unable to acknowledge how lovely he's being to the women in his life because he assumes it's being cool and normal.

Either way it's a pretty bad derail. We already know he's a bad friend and bad fiance, trying to pinpoint his exact thought process is way less important than appreciating the well-deserved self ownage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Slugworth posted:

Is there anyone in this thread other than Mirthless that somehow got that from what I wrote? Honestly can't decide if he can't read or I can't write.

Both?!

Because to me it's clear that what I'm saying is racists have always existed alongside assholes, not that one species evolved into the other. Thus, we can talk all we want about culture and history, but this guy has an equal chance of being the world's worst misogynist or, you know, a person hung up on their ex.

I.... don't understand what point you are trying to make here.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Slugworth posted:

Both?!

hence why i edited it out well before you posted this

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

David Heinrich posted:

I don't think there really are any. I don't see anything to indicate misogyny; the guy can be an idiotic weenie without being a misogynist. For Drag's question on if it really matters if he's being misogynistic or just being an idiot and ending up at the same place being misogynist could lead, I dunno. It seems arbitrary to me, but branding the dude like this and then insisting it's true because "historical context" seems just as arbitrary.

I can see how that line of reasoning would really simplify your interpersonal relationships. Did a man do something? It's misogyny, because historically men have discriminated against women. Were they white? Racism, same. Asian, black, native american? Self-hating banana/oreo/apple. Historical contexts are a way easier read than a working theory of mind, and it feels good too, man

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Theory of mind is really silly

Blade Runner
Aug 14, 2015

Mirthless posted:

hahahahahahahahah what in the loving world are you even trying to say here???

nobody suggested that so maybe you should slow down there my dude

misogyny is definitely the motivator in this case because he is viewing his ex girlfriend as an object to please him rather than a human being with her own needs and desires. even after ten years of being apart he will not release this object he wishes to possess to another man.

can women do things like this? yes. are they more likely than men to do this? well, the census doesn't track this data but one gender in our society has been traditionally treated like property and it's not men

Assigning the level of moral culpability that a person gets for an action based solely on their gender or sexual orientation is both entirely sexist and a little silly. You're not being progressive with your "men inherently bad and sexist, women doing same thing are fine" stance.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Who the gently caress said that

Dude at this point stop digging and take the L.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

what if a woman's getting jealous of her ex who's a wheelchair dude? Who gets privilege primacy and needs a good scolding

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Not even a pedophile could avert this derail smh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

fruit on the bottom posted:

A man was accused of misogyny, that can not be allowed to go unpunished.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

Derail is too old at this point.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

David Heinrich posted:

Assigning the level of moral culpability that a person gets for an action based solely on their gender or sexual orientation is both entirely sexist and a little silly. You're not being progressive with your "men inherently bad and sexist, women doing same thing are fine" stance.

WON'T

SOMEBODY

THINK

OF

THE

MEN???????

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

will somebody please fix Mirthless, if it made my sister's little yipdog stop humping legs maybe it'll do him some good
I [19F] deleted a customer [50sM] off Facebook, and he's taking it so bad I think it's going to cause problems for me at work.

quote:

This is as stupid as it sounds. Since I was 16 this man pestered me until I accepted his request on Facebook, coming in everyday telling me how sad and angry it made him that I hadn't confirmed the request so I did to shut him up. I didn't awknowledge any of the messages he sent me, and he would always get upset.

For example, when I passed my driving test, I made a post recommending my instructor and he messaged me asking if we can go for a drive and go to the movies together. Every time I ignored him he came into the shop and brought it up- which made me look bad in front of other customers.

He messaged a friend of mine asking where I was and why I wouldn't reply to his messages.

He's persistent, creepy and makes me uncomfortable. He sends x's. He comes in twice a day, religiously for icecream, so I see him every day I work.

I deleted not because his messages annoyed me, but he posts so many status updates every day. So. Many. It's so silly and I just wasn't bothered to have to scroll through it all.

He posts things like 'do u prefer movie A or movie B' and 'name an actor or actress with a name beginning in a/b/c' each letter having its own update. It just got tiring and I don't communicate with him on Facebook at all.

God this is so stupid.

Anyway, I deleted him. I don't know if Facebook notifies people if someone deletes them, but he noticed immediately. Didn't block him, so he messaged me.

'Why you delete me for. Thnks.'

'So what you are saying we are not friends when we were for two years but if that's what you want.'

So I didn't reply again because my patience wears thin with this man, and he gets on my nerves. Literally no other customer gives me this much bother. I chose not to reply because if I did I feel like I'd say something cheeky and it would backfire.

I wanted to delete him to stop the excessive updates but now he's taken it bad and if I block him, he would take it even worse and I have to see him at work so I'm a little afraid to.

A few hours after the first two messages at 3am he sent another: 'PTL I not lie to you to me we were friends that's all but when you delete me when I never did anything it hurt me it hurt me that much I cant go to the shop now when your there I am sorry you feel that way I don't know what to say. I never will fall out with you ones again am sorry that's all I have to say take care.' And at 5 in the morning he requested to follow me on instagram.

I can't describe how strange of a character he is. He will bring it up but I am so close to snapping at him. I've been listening to the same stupid icecream jokes for 3 years. He absolutely stinks. His face makes my hairs stand on end.

He isn't shy though, so I'm fully expecting to be asked why I deleted him while I'm at work. He gets excited when he sees me outside of work. In the beginning he would always touch my hand until I outright told him to stop.

I can't afford to lose the job I have as I only make £40 a week (trying to get a new job and no luck) and can't afford to lose it over going mad at him.

If you want to know how strange he is here's a few extra things-

We live in Ireland. An Asian child showed up out of nowhere and called him 'uncle.' No one knows where the kid came from, just that he's of no relation to him. No one knows where he went either.

He got a mail ordered bride I think, 20 years ago is what I'm told. She was disabled, unable to walk, and she still ran away from him.

Back in the troubles his dad made pipe bombs (not joking) and his nickname was 'the prince of darkness.'

Him and his two wee pals are a pack of smelly hallions. They come in together. One wears a yellow shirt with a minion face. He wears a captain america one. Every day. They're very into their movies, superheroes and there's nothing wrong with that but it's an obsession.

Anywhere I go in the town and if he sees me he will try to talk to me. Won't leave me alone. He makes my mood go downhill quick then asks why I'm so grumpy.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 13, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i tell you what, White Men Are The Most Oppressed Race On Planet Earth

will somebody please fix Mirthless, if it made my sister's little yipdog stop humping legs maybe it'll do him some good
I [19F] deleted a customer [50sM] off Facebook, and he's taking it so bad I think it's going to cause problems for me at work.

:yikes:

restraining order? jesus making GBS threads christ

i wonder if she's even talked to her boss about this... i feel like her employer would take her side? if not, she would be better off getting out.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Sep 13, 2017

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

Mirthless posted:

WON'T

SOMEBODY

THINK

OF

THE

MEN???????

You're certainly free to assume that's the point of anyone disagreeing with you, but for the record, I just believe in dealing with things in this thread on a case by case basis. If we accept that, say, 80% of men are mysogynists, I'd still like evidence that this particular guy is one before I decide that's what's informing his thought process, considering how universal a concept like 'hung up on an ex' is across genders and sexual preferences.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Straight White Shark posted:

The motivation is obviously that he's jealous, which transcends gender and has nothing to do with him hating women.

Where misogyny (possibly) enters into it is where he feels justified in his jealousy, because our culture encourages men to think of female friends as backup girlfriends and celebrates male possessiveness (c.f. like every romcom ever) so he's unable to acknowledge how lovely he's being to the women in his life because he assumes it's being cool and normal.

Either way it's a pretty bad derail. We already know he's a bad friend and bad fiance, trying to pinpoint his exact thought process is way less important than appreciating the well-deserved self ownage.

this is all good, thank you for writing it all out clearly bc im far too lazy

also, it kinda really doesnt matter why hes behaving this way. like whether hes mega jealous, a misogynist, or even some weird semi-benign reason, it doesnt mean his exs reaction should be anything other than "this is hosed up and weird, get out of my life." hes being a lovely friend regardless of his intent

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Everyone is gonna say it was such a shame he murdered her, if only there were warning signs we had seen.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Barudak posted:

Everyone is gonna say it was such a shame he murdered her, if only there were warning signs we had seen.

:(

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

also, it kinda really doesnt matter why hes behaving this way. like whether hes mega jealous, a misogynist, or even some weird semi-benign reason, it doesnt mean his exs reaction should be anything other than "this is hosed up and weird, get out of my life." hes being a lovely friend regardless of his intent

Oh, agreed 100%. I think the entire thread agrees with that. It's not really a good derail if we're not at eachother's throats over minor details.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Um yeah it matters you can only call a man a misogynist if you have documented proof and I will not stand here and let someone do any less.

#Notallmen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Slugworth posted:

Oh, agreed 100%. I think the entire thread agrees with that. It's not really a good derail if we're not at eachother's throats over minor details.

ArbC dropped his keyboard in panic, the still shape of Ham Sandwiches laid out in front of him.

"Oh poo poo oh poo poo what am I gonna do?"

Mirthless gently grabbed him by the shoulder, "Take a breath; you're going to be fine."

ArbC began to calm down as Mirthless continued.

"You have nothing to worry about. He was arguing in bad faith, we all saw it. It was a good derail."